Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I just get liquored up with Cass and shoot all the assholes.

All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I love that this game creates these types of discussions.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jfood posted:

I just get liquored up with Cass and shoot all the assholes.

All of them.

I mean, Ulysses has a nice set of nuclear missiles to fire off if you wanna go down that road, sure. Or Father Elijah and his technolord poison gas plan.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I love that this game creates these types of discussions.

Hey now, Fallout 4 offers challenging ideas too!

Like... uh... your son growing up to be a shut-in out-of-touch goonlord rear end in a top hat?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 19, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kerning Chameleon posted:

New Vegas is a game about Imperialism: the reasons it happens, the forms it takes, and the effects it has. The Mojave Wasteland is a monetarily poor but resource-rich and strategically located Third-World Nation with its capital city ruled by an iron-fisted tin pot dictator. Said dictator is trying to maintain a delicate diplomatic balancing act between the two superpowers of the world vying for control over the nation: the capitalistic supposedly-liberty loving western superpower, and the eastern bloc of forcibly absorbed and reorganized nations under the illusion of an ideology headed by a dictatorial cult of personality.

It's also heavily about luck. House gets crazy lucky multiple times; Benny coasts as far as he gets on dumb luck and knew what he was doing was a huge gamble with a potentially huge payout. It's kind of why he just gives up as easily as he does; he knows he's screwed so he'll take the opportunity to just walk away if he can. Of course the proper answer is to shoot him in the head with his own gun until he dies but still...if you give him the option to just cash out he takes it.

New Vegas really shouldn't exist but, well...there it is!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I didn't read anything interesting about imperialism in the NV story. I'm not even sure if I'd grant that any of the involved parties qualify as empires, given that each are quite culturally homogeneous. The Legion is closer, depending on how you read the integration of the tribes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Imperialism is as imperialism does

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
But what's even the point of talking about imperialism then? Forming any government becomes imperialism. Every human group starts off with less people and territory and grows to include more people and territory, and that's all interspersed with, and sometimes driven by, armed conflicts. This was even the case before the agricultural revolution.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
NV features the two largest civilizations in existence (at least as far as we the audience are aware) fighting over an independent region whose inhabitants aren't really excited about being a part of either civilization. That's as imperialist as imperialism gets.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Leaving out the group that most exemplifies an empire. It's right in the name, The Kings.

Also holy poo poo there is so much more to this game than I ever explored. I never realized how close I've stayed to the main quest line every playthrough. This is the first time I've even talked to Veronica or Arcade. I always just found Boone and never bothered with anyone else.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

NV features the two largest civilizations in existence (at least as far as we the audience are aware) fighting over an independent region whose inhabitants aren't really excited about being a part of either civilization. That's as imperialist as imperialism gets.

That's the story of most of human history, wherever you lived.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
New Vegas is about symbols and how we use them to construct identity, both as individuals and as groups.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
New Vegas is about how humans turn to an idealized past while trying to build towards an uncertain future.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
New vegas is about bombs and stuff

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Those are both good points. It's very interesting how the ruins of the old world are to some a proof of the progress of man and to others a proof of the devolution of man.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

new vegas is

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

funmanguy posted:

New vegas is about bombs and stuff

It's why explosives is the best skill.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

That's the story of most of human history, wherever you lived.

Yeah, I agree.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

funmanguy posted:

Leaving out the group that most exemplifies an empire. It's right in the name, The Kings.

Emperors are very specifically not kings. The Romans had a cultural heritage of horrible kings before they went republican, and even in the imperial phase nobody wanted to be compared to a king.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

ulmont posted:

Emperors are very specifically not kings. The Romans had a cultural heritage of horrible kings before they went republican, and even in the imperial phase nobody wanted to be compared to a king.

What is an emperor but a nutty, cuckoo, super-king?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

popewiles posted:

What is an emperor but a nutty, cuckoo, super-king?

Very specifically not a king. It sounds insane to me too.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ftcx-5j7rjwC&pg=PA13#v=onepage&q&f=false

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Lurdiak posted:

They may be wrong-headed paranoid isolationists, but they ain't hurting nobody.

If someone's first act upon meeting me is to try and strap a bomb to my neck, then he and all his rear end in a top hat friends get the plasma rifle to the face treatment. After that they very definitely ain't hurting nobody.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If someone's first act upon meeting me is to try and strap a bomb to my neck, then he and all his rear end in a top hat friends get the plasma rifle to the face treatment. After that they very definitely ain't hurting nobody.

I mean, I can understand why people get upset at this, but I've always looked at it from the Brotherhood's point of view: They're hiding in a cramped bunker desperately trying to avoid being discovered by the NCR, and then some wastelander rando somehow manages to open the door just when there's an NCR ranger camping out nearby. And frankly, considering how so many factions (And Players!) want to outright kill them, their paranoia is a little justified.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I'm looking forward to interacting with the brotherhood beyond my bullets interacting with their faces. I have Veronica with me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, I can understand why people get upset at this, but I've always looked at it from the Brotherhood's point of view: They're hiding in a cramped bunker desperately trying to avoid being discovered by the NCR, and then some wastelander rando somehow manages to open the door just when there's an NCR ranger camping out nearby. And frankly, considering how so many factions (And Players!) want to outright kill them, their paranoia is a little justified.

Thats what i really like about that first interaction with the Brotherhood, they're scared of you because you might be an NCR spy sent to kill them, and it's entirely possible that you are actually at that point playing as an NCR spy sent to kill them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
im not really sure how brotherhood of steel are harmless when their agenda is to confiscate any tech thats more advanced than a toaster. and they dont take no for an answer.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Iretep posted:

im not really sure how brotherhood of steel are harmless when their agenda is to confiscate any tech thats more advanced than a toaster. and they dont take no for an answer.

It's not that they're harmless, but they're also far from a monolithic block. The entire Brotherhood questline is about the chapter is split between reformers like Veronica and reactionaries like Hardin, and under McNamara they can be convinced to use their technology for good in the Mojave. They're far from flawless, but it's not like they're straight-up evil.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Iretep posted:

The brotherhood are the descendants of people who saw the terrible things people were doing with advanced technology even before the bombs dropped (and maintain historical records, not just legends, of it) and said "never again."

You might disagree with them, but it's not hard to see why they believe what they do.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I realized in my latest play though that I've never actually recruited Pete to help with goodsprings. The only time I had enough explosives skill, I allied with the powder gangers and killed him. What does he give you?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

When the gunfight starts, Sunny Smiles shows up with like 5-10 Dynamite and passes some off to you.

I just started my latest playthrough with explosives and I was glad I didn't have to dip into my own stash.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Edit actually never mind

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Arcsquad12 posted:

In terms of engaging with source material, would you argue that Kotor 2 or New Vegas are the stronger game? I just really want to talk about kotor 2 at the moment and obsidian game fans are probably most likely to have played it. There's even an argument to be had in both games about rejecting the mistakes of the past in order to move on.

It's been a while since I've played KOTOR II, but I'd probably give the edge to New Vegas, if only because New Vegas had a strong central theme that connected deeply to factions, themes, events, and characters from past games.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
All of that is absolutely true of Kotor 2 as well. Kotor 2 really suffers in the end game because of the time crunch it was under that left it unfinished. But that situation definitely taught Obsidian better time management, and makes New Vegas a much better realized game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it interesting watching how Obsidian's design ethos builds upon what came before it. KOTOR 2 is a transplanting of the plotting from Black Isle's Planescape, while New Vegas adopts some of the approval systems from KOTOR 2, and Alpha Protocol refines the reactionary system of New Vegas and develops it to a much more focused degree.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

All of that is absolutely true of Kotor 2 as well. Kotor 2 really suffers in the end game because of the time crunch it was under that left it unfinished. But that situation definitely taught Obsidian better time management, and makes New Vegas a much better realized game.

There wasn't a time crunch, half-way through schedule development Lucas Art told them wrap it so they could put something on the shelves for the Holiday season. Its no coincidence there is so much unfinished content in the game files that was never removed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kotor 2 is a loving chore to play in a way NV isn't because D&D isn't a good fit for Star Wars, doesn't adapt well to computer games, and isn't great to begin with

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

Kotor 2 is a loving chore to play in a way NV isn't because D&D isn't a good fit for Star Wars, doesn't adapt well to computer games, and isn't great to begin with

Thankfully the systems are so broken in the game that if you pick the right starting class (consular) and specialize in blasters, you can break the game difficulty by crafting yourself a pair of one hit kill pistols. So you can speed through the combat to get to the meat of the game's writing.

I know that abusing broken game systems isn't a good solution to enjoying a game, but it's something.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 20, 2017

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Back Hack posted:

There wasn't a time crunch, half-way through schedule development Lucas Art told them wrap it so they could put something on the shelves for the Holiday season. Its no coincidence there is so much unfinished content in the game files that was never removed.

I fail to see how that isn't a time crunch. I just didn't want to throw blame any particular way. I've read conflicting reports, and even Obsidian have said they could've planned better. I did always feel an undercurrent of "we don't want to piss off LucasArts" when they said that though.

Slowpoke Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 20, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
LucasArts pushing the deadline up or not it did result in future obsidian games operating on a much more manageable time schedule. The experience probably taught them to play their cards smarter when negotiating how much development time they'd need for their games. New Vegas has a staggering amount of content in it with relatively little being cut plot wise and most of the cuts going to assets to cram the game onto console hardware. There is nowhere near as much cut content in Vegas as in Sith Lords.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

While FNV might not be as cut as KOTOR2, it's still got a *ton* of cut content. Such as almost all of the Legion quests and areas- the east of the Colorado was originally going to be significantly larger.

Part of it as well, I think, is that because it was budgeted out better, more of the cut content was actually removed from the FNV game files instead of just being left in because there was no time to remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The big difference is that the stuff that was cut from F:NV you talk about, was stuff that was initially discussed but never got to the starting stages of implementation. KOTOR2 had a lot of stuff that was half-working and was cut mid-production due to time constraints.