Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know, I've liked this season's story and many of its individual moments and the performances by everybody, but it feels like there's no "meat". Nikki and Wrench teaming up was about as close as they got to that Holy poo poo feeling from the first two seasons, and they had to bring back an old character to do it and that's within the last three episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know, I've liked this season's story and many of its individual moments and the performances by everybody, but it feels like there's no "meat". Nikki and Wrench teaming up was about as close as they got to that Holy poo poo feeling from the first two seasons, and they had to bring back an old character to do it and that's within the last three episodes.

I agree, I'm sure the finale will be a good episode but there's very little satisfying character moments in S3 so far compared to the previous seasons. Carrie Coon is pretty much posturing as the good cop but she doesnt do much aside from the pilot episode. Ray was the most developped character but died really stupidly, it felt out of character for him to pick a fight with his brother at this point (he should have been way too busy worrying about Nikki) and the piece of glass to the neck was too on the nose. Those kinds of tragic-comedic deaths are usually reserved to villains, who have it coming in a karmic sense, not Ray on the run with revenge on his mind...

Also nitpicking: from episode 8, decapitating the goon by pulling a handcuff chain against his neck is cartoonish at best. I loved the direction in that whole sequence but that poo poo pulled me out of it right quick.

I think it's just Fargo-fatigue from writers and viewers alike, we know how their stories and characters operate so we're not satisfied in just having Molly_Solverson_2, and I understand Legion has taken most of Hawley's attention before working on this. Fargo is one of my favorite shows these last 3 years but I'd be happy if it was the last season.

White Rabbit fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 19, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

White Rabbit posted:

Also nitpicking: from episode 8, decapitating the goon by pulling a handcuff chain against his neck is cartoonish at best.

He was made of clay.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

precision posted:

He was made of clay.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've never encountered an actual decapitation expert before.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Did they reveal that Ray had traded the stamps for that lovely car before last episode?

A depressing reveal.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Did they reveal that Ray had traded the stamps for that lovely car before last episode?

A depressing reveal.

I feel like I already knew that. There was the whole thing with Ray claiming the stamps were rightfully his and that Emmit tricked him. This was the first time it was confirmed that Emmit did actually trick him though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but until the day he died, Ray still didn't appreciate the stamp's value.

Emmitt parlayed the stamp collection into a multimillion dollar business. Ray just wanted the last one so he could buy an engagement ring. I feel like there's a parable in there somewhere. Ray was always going to be a fuckup whether he had the stamps or the car.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, but he had Swango. :swoon:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like Ray's life was probably more fun than Emmitt's by an order of magnitude

Swango and Bridge > Sy and dinner parties

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Accretionist posted:

A depressing reveal.

It was in the first episode.

The key difference I think is that in the first episode, Emmit denied that he had manipulated Ray into the trade, and now he finally admitted it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ray was always going to be a fuckup whether he had the stamps or the car.

He wanted simplicity that life couldn't provide. :smith:

Rest in piece, Ray Stussy. Too good, too pure for this world.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

White Rabbit posted:

I agree, I'm sure the finale will be a good episode but there's very little satisfying character moments in S3 so far compared to the previous seasons. Carrie Coon is pretty much posturing as the good cop but she doesnt do much aside from the pilot episode. Ray was the most developped character but died really stupidly, it felt out of character for him to pick a fight with his brother at this point (he should have been way too busy worrying about Nikki) and the piece of glass to the neck was too on the nose. Those kinds of tragic-comedic deaths are usually reserved to villains, who have it coming in a karmic sense, not Ray on the run with revenge on his mind...
On the anticlimatic death- that's kinda on par with the Coen Brothers films where 'poo poo happens' sometimes cruel and often unsatisfactory. Also, kinda like Game of Thrones, cutting that plot line uncomfortably short of it's trajectory really jolted the plot in a slightly different direction that's been great to watch.

It also just occurred to me that given this season is about stories, it's reflective of how Ray couldn't break free from his own story. He determined that he was the hero and Emmit was the villian. Emmit just giving him the stamp out of nowhere didn't fit that story, so he instinctually rejected that, as it had to be a trick. He's got the same determination as Gloria to stick to that story given the evidence as he's understood it.

Accretionist posted:

He wanted simplicity that life couldn't provide. :smith:

Rest in piece, Ray Stussy. Too good, too pure for this world.
He got reborn as a kitten tho :unsmith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

precision posted:

I feel like Ray's life was probably more fun than Emmitt's by an order of magnitude

Swango and Bridge > Sy and dinner parties

No doubt about it, I'd gladly put up with the occasional splash of parolee piss on my boots if I got to go home to Nikki Swango. :allears:

I don't remember if it was ever mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but I read an interview with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and she said one of the first questions she asked Noah Hawley about the role of Nikki was "does she love Ray, or is she just using him", because she felt that was an important component of how she would play the part. And how she expected to get some cryptic non-answer, but instead was surprised when Hawley said "yes, she truly does love Ray" without hesitation. I thought that was really neat. :unsmith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't remember if it was ever mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but I read an interview with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and she said one of the first questions she asked Noah Hawley about the role of Nikki was "does she love Ray, or is she just using him", because she felt that was an important component of how she would play the part. And how she expected to get some cryptic non-answer, but instead was surprised when Hawley said "yes, she truly does love Ray" without hesitation. I thought that was really neat. :unsmith:

That is cool :unsmith: and is shown in how she plays Nikki

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've liked her in several things but this is probably the best thing she's done.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Simpatico to the point of spooky.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"yes, she truly does love Ray"

I'm so pleased :unsmith:

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I felt that it was their intention to leave it unclear if Nikki was using him or not and that was probably my favorite thematic thread of the season - what's Nikki really about. All expectations were leading to "using him to get out of parole poo poo, then money through the stamp thing", but the direction, writing and acting were making it unclear and eventually you had to feel she was genuine.

And then on episode 5 she's blackmailing Sy on the phone and she keeps Ray out of the loop before going to meet him on her own (leading to her getting beat up). Why is she going alone and not even telling Ray what's up? To surprise him, to protect him (or to protect the plan, Ray being a fuckup)? I choose to believe that she was about to betray him and leave with the money.

So, uh, gently caress Hawley for saying otherwise. Nikki and I have sympatico.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

White Rabbit posted:

I felt that it was their intention to leave it unclear if Nikki was using him or not and that was probably my favorite thematic thread of the season - what's Nikki really about. All expectations were leading to "using him to get out of parole poo poo, then money through the stamp thing", but the direction, writing and acting were making it unclear and eventually you had to feel she was genuine.

And then on episode 5 she's blackmailing Sy on the phone and she keeps Ray out of the loop before going to meet him on her own (leading to her getting beat up). Why is she going alone and not even telling Ray what's up? To surprise him, to protect him (or to protect the plan, Ray being a fuckup)? I choose to believe that she was about to betray him and leave with the money.

So, uh, gently caress Hawley for saying otherwise. Nikki and I have sympatico.

If she'd intended to betray Ray and run off with the money, I doubt Nikki would have gotten to Leland Palmer's Mystical Bowling Alley, though. Let alone be given a second chance there.

And if saying "when the Gophers play, put a little beer in a bowl and put it in front of the TV" for Kitty Ray isn't true love, then I don't know what is :colbert:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Also I felt that the connection and success Ray and Nikki had while playing Bridge was a reflection of how much they were in touch with one another overall.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If she'd intended to betray Ray and run off with the money, I doubt Nikki would have gotten to Leland Palmer's Mystical Bowling Alley, though. Let alone be given a second chance there.

What frustrates me most about not getting a season 4 would be that we will probably never know why Wrench was given a second chance at all. Ray Wise says something like "They didn't want you to come, but I argued for it" and it seems like there's a story there.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And if saying "when the Gophers play, put a little beer in a bowl and put it in front of the TV" for Kitty Ray isn't true love, then I don't know what is :colbert:

The Midwestern heart in one sentence.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, Emmit finally grows a backbone. Only like a year and a half too late

fake edit: Pretty much guaranteed that gun would have fired just fine, but it doesn't matter because Varga made Emmit believe the truth that was most convenient for Varga

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Nooo, meemo

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Aww, she really did love Ray. :3:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Well, ok then

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Varga makes me want to go watch Snatch right now because he reminds me so much of Brick Top.

Other than that, I'm completely underwhelmed. This show is so far up its own rear end with its long, drawn-out credit sequences and "This is a true story..." crap and deep messages or whatever the gently caress that finish was supposed to be.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 22, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
What

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
That is exactly how I was hoping that scene would end and imo it's probably the only ending I respect

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Schrödinger's DHS Agent

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Klungar posted:

Well, ok then

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Well that ending was certainly a turd

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Oh man, this is gonna be a big one. :munch:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That was some Sopranos level of bullshit right there.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i liked that ending :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

But whats the VM stand for

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Mediocre season, good ending

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The ending was the only thing I really loved about this season. It's also the only thing that captured anything approaching Coen-esque. I hope Hawley makes sure he has a really good idea for a season if he decides to do another Fargo because this one was close but no cigar.

Basically,

Veshpo posted:

Mediocre season, good ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thought I'd post a few of the locations I recognized:

Here's the location where they shot the shootout scene from this episode:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0227...l=en&authuser=0

This is the building that Stussy's office was in:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0485...l=en&authuser=0

I can't get inside that office, but I recognized the view outside the window as this (I'm guessing they were on the 5th floor or close to that):
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0485...l=en&authuser=0

Here's the lot they had Varga's semi parked at earlier in the season:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0445...l=en&authuser=0

• Locked thread