Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

NTRabbit posted:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... the future" - Howard Stark

https://twitter.com/LegacyOCE/status/876710168314105856
The awkwardness just oozes off that photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Silvagni loving wrecked us. There was one play late in the game when it hadn't been decided yet, and he managed to scoop up the footy and give a beautiful kick to a guy 25 meters out and straight in front of goal. It bounced right off that dudes chest. So Silvagni runs in, gets the footy, and kicks the goal himself. I was like you mother fucker.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Catch the replay of Footy Classified on Youtube later if you can, Buckley and Hutchie are actually having a really interesting debate on the state of play between clubs and the media, who is at fault, etc wrt a doorstop interview that happened at the Kennel today.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

NTRabbit posted:

Catch the replay of Footy Classified on Youtube later if you can, Buckley and Hutchie are actually having a really interesting debate on the state of play between clubs and the media, who is at fault, etc wrt a doorstop interview that happened at the Kennel today.

https://twitter.com/FootyClassified/status/876777012907581441?s=09

Just makes me think Hutchy is even more clueless than I thought.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
In Collingwood's specific example I understand it but I think a lot of the reaction to this has been a bit ignorant. I've seen people saying they feel like they already have too much access to players/clubs which is patently absurd

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

TG-Chrono posted:

https://twitter.com/FootyClassified/status/876777012907581441?s=09

Just makes me think Hutchy is even more clueless than I thought.

It's almost a bit of forceful self insertion into the narrative the way he's claiming things are unfair. A footy club is made up of 44 players plus all the coaching staff and club management, and only a small amount of them have access to and understanding of the big picture at play at the club. Most of the playing group are basically kids who have yet to grow up or mature in any of the real ways of the world nevermind have the ability to know how to be able to manage ad hoc interviews on shifting subjects at any time of the day without giving away something which could be dramatically taken out of context.

Of course the clubs want to make it so that the people talking to the media are the ones they want talking to the media, and they want to stick to subjects which won't cause controversy. Look at the Bugg thing, how much breath have Demons officials wasted on that non-story so far? Hutchie is just clearly angling for an environment where they can stick a mic in front of anyone on the hop and 'catch them out' to say something ill-considered which can generate the next week of discussion for them. The fact he's trying to be self righteous about it promoting such a muck raking philosophy is pretty gross.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
"The distrust between the clubs and media is created by a lack of accessibility"
"No, the distrust is created by the types of people you allow to be at the pinnacle of your industry"

Gee, wonder who he's talking about there :supaburn:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

"The distrust between the clubs and media is created by a lack of accessibility"
"No, the distrust is created by the types of people you allow to be at the pinnacle of your industry"

Eddie?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gently caress you EDDIEBETTS is a goddamn champion

i know you meant that collingwood fuckhead

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

See I should know, but in this case I can't decide who's saying what, it fits both ways!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Shmoses posted:

I've seen people saying they feel like they already have too much access to players/clubs which is patently absurd
It really isn't. I'm a keen follower of NFL and the poo poo the AFL media get up to would lead to credentials being stripped over there.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Nate Jones out for 4-6 weeks with a quad. poo poo.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Nate Jones out for 4-6 weeks with a quad. poo poo.

I don't think I can remember him being injured before.

Time for Lewis to really step up and start performing.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't think I can remember him being injured before.

Time for Lewis to really step up and start performing.

He's only missed 5 games since his debut

Also O'Meara is totally stuffed, bone stress in his patella now. Hawks are trying to put a positive spin on it but it's coming across a bit desperate.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snaeksikn posted:

Also O'Meara is totally stuffed, bone stress in his patella now. Hawks are trying to put a positive spin on it but it's coming across a bit desperate.

Considering they gave up (based on current ladder positions) picks 2, 19, 23 & 36 for him I can understand the desperation.

Fully fit and playing to his potential you could make a case that he'd be worth that much, but at the moment it looks like a massive gently caress up given they appear to be just starting a full blown rebuild.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I knew we were being fuckwits going after him with such wild abandon. JFC. If he was fit then OK, but Blind Freddy could've told you he was damaged goods, a 50/50 proposition at best.

I will say Tom Mitchell was a good get and that's where we should've stopped in trading. But as it is we're going to be treading water for the next year or so at least. I do wonder how much of it is due to losing staff like Fagan, who at that point probably had a bigger hand in trading than Clarkson.

(On the other hand, extremely smart trading from St Kilda, I don't begrudge them one bit for being all "sure we'll help you guys get O'Meara *snigger* if that's what you really want *snigger*" )

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The bigger the cliff Hawthorn fall off this year will probably hurt their 'destination club' standing more as well, finally making it so that some other clubs have a chance to steal good players from each other for once.

Who am I kidding they'll just head to Geelong instead.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Ehh, well with Melbourne and (maybe) St Kilda coming into the frame over the next year or so, who knows.

I'm actually going to get my arse down for a game (paid leave!) in a few weeks and there'll probably be like 30,000 there (at best) and we'll probably get thumped but hey it's footy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The CBA has been done, I think the top 10% of players who benefit at the expense of the rest got most of what they wanted with Free Agency changes

quote:

AFL PLAYERS will receive a 20 per cent pay rise this year after a new $1.84 billion dollar, six-year pay deal was announced in Adelaide on Tuesday afternoon.

The bumper pay rise lifts the average player wage from $309,000 to $371,000 and the player salary cap from $10.37m to $12.45m.

In 2022, the final year of the agreement, the average player wage will be $389,000 with a salary cap of $13.54m.

The 20 per cent figure, first reported by AFL.com.au in March, will be followed by rises of 1.2 per cent (2018), 1.3 per cent (2019) and two 2 per cent in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

The deal was voted on by the players on Tuesday afternoon and signed off by AFL Players Association CEO Paul Marsh with overwhelming support of the League's 850 players.

AFL chairman Richard Goyder declared the historic six-year agreement was a significant win-win for both the players and the game's governing body.

AFLPA president Matthew Pavlich said the players were thrilled to receive a fixed share of industry revenue, with the deal giving the players a 28 per cent share of defined AFL un-forecast revenue.

In other key details contained in the agreement:

• Annual contribution of $4 million to the AFL Players’ Association’s Lifetime Health Care and Career Ending Injury fund
  • Annual contribution of $250,000 for concussion research, inclusive of all tribunal fines
  • $13 million over the life of the CBA to fund Industry-aligned Player Development programs and services
  • 12 business class airfares per flight for WA-based teams when doing east/west travel
  • Business class or premium economy airfares on international flights other than New Zealand
  • Cost of single room accommodation has been removed from the clubs’ soft caps
  • Removal of provision allowing players to contribute to cost of pre-season camps
  • Eight grand final tickets for participating players
  • 1000 tickets for distribution amongst players
  • Category-A rookie-listed players will be eligible to play senior football from 2018
  • Players no longer need to be restricted free agents before becoming unrestricted
  • At least one additional free agency provision to be adopted by October 2017, from the following — Free agency for life, free agency portability, restricted free agency at four years for any players under median salary or such other change proposed by AFL and agreed by AFLPA
  • Pre-season mini-breaks will increase from three to four days
  • ‘Rested’ players or ‘held over’ travelling emergencies let out of their senior team will receive match payments
  • Players agree to license their personal GPS data to be made available to clubs and broadcasters with specified limitations

Rookie changes need to be explained better though, not sure if that mean the rookie list is going or just the playing restrictions.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 20, 2017

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

20% pay rise is pretty good, that's like the difference between Australia's actual average wage and it's official average wage

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

The bigger the cliff Hawthorn fall off this year will probably hurt their 'destination club' standing more as well, finally making it so that some other clubs have a chance to steal good players from each other for once.

Who am I kidding they'll just head to Geelong instead.

yeah, but then you have to live in geelong.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

NPR Journalizard posted:

yeah, but then you have to live in geelong.

Most Geelong players live in Torquay, problem solved.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

:sigh:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I... I still believe

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

realbez posted:

I... I still believe

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

I... I still believe

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

realbez posted:

I... I still believe

Not my problem! *moonwalks away*

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

NTRabbit posted:

The CBA has been done, I think the top 10% of players who benefit at the expense of the rest got most of what they wanted with Free Agency changes

Rookie changes need to be explained better though, not sure if that mean the rookie list is going or just the playing restrictions.

At least Sandilands won't have to fight for an exit row seat next year

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
It'll be interesting to see which players that have been 'waiting for the new CBA' before re-signing contracts actually re-sign.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Barry Hall gets into the HoF before Winmar. Joke.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Periphery posted:

It'll be interesting to see which players that have been 'waiting for the new CBA' before re-signing contracts actually re-sign.

Jake Lever is the only one who has said it publicly for us

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Deadly Hume posted:

Ehh, well with Melbourne and (maybe) St Kilda coming into the frame over the next year or so, who knows.

I'm actually going to get my arse down for a game (paid leave!) in a few weeks and there'll probably be like 30,000 there (at best) and we'll probably get thumped but hey it's footy.

Which game are you coming down for?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

The Deadly Hume posted:

I knew we were being fuckwits going after him with such wild abandon. JFC. If he was fit then OK, but Blind Freddy could've told you he was damaged goods, a 50/50 proposition at best.

I will say Tom Mitchell was a good get and that's where we should've stopped in trading. But as it is we're going to be treading water for the next year or so at least. I do wonder how much of it is due to losing staff like Fagan, who at that point probably had a bigger hand in trading than Clarkson.

(On the other hand, extremely smart trading from St Kilda, I don't begrudge them one bit for being all "sure we'll help you guys get O'Meara *snigger* if that's what you really want *snigger*" )

Without the bias of being a Saints supporter in regards to this, I was always amazed at the recklessness the trade had from Hawthorns side. As youve said, had Omeara been a fit player then sure why not, but with the injury question marks it was stupid at the time letalone in retrospect. Is it unwarranted to think that certain admins at Hawthorn have been drinking their own bathwater too much and thought they could "get him right" no matter what?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

thought they could "get him right" no matter what?

Tyrone Vickery

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Which game are you coming down for?
Against the Swans at the G. There's a fair chance we'll be outnumbered in the crowd, in fact.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Periphery posted:

Cow Dude most likely

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

Without the bias of being a Saints supporter in regards to this

Please, :lol:

He will come good. No quoting this and being smug about it until he is still not healthy a year from now.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

Please, :lol:

He will come good. No quoting this and being smug about it until he is still not healthy a year from now.

If he ever gets a full preseason and regular season, for sure. He will be very good.
Those are huge ifs.

My heart still believes, like I believe Fourthorn starts next year, but realistically they made a really dumb move that will bite them in the arse hard.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nutsngum posted:

Without the bias of being a Saints supporter in regards to this, I was always amazed at the recklessness the trade had from Hawthorns side. As youve said, had Omeara been a fit player then sure why not, but with the injury question marks it was stupid at the time letalone in retrospect. Is it unwarranted to think that certain admins at Hawthorn have been drinking their own bathwater too much and thought they could "get him right" no matter what?

He passed a medical with Essendon too, although they told him he wouldn't be setting foot on the park until after the bye and he'd be stuck in rehab until then. Hawthorn told him he'd be right by round 1. I don't know if Essendon were as prepared to pay as much for him as Hawthorn ended up paying but they were definitely content with the fact that it would have cost pick 1, with some picks coming back the other way. I think they'll get him mostly fit eventually but it will take a bit of time and heartache from the fans first. Most clubs would be pretty happy get two players as good as Mitchell and a fit O'Meara across two years of drafting.

Personally I think the real problem they have at Hawthorn is that a lot of the junior players they expected to stand up this year turned out to be not as good as they had hoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Just saw the highlights of Malcolm Blight that have been put online for the hall of fame stuff. I'm glad footy shorts have got a bit bigger since the 70s and 80s, the SPATFAs must have been horrendous.

• Locked thread