Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
have you considered trying OBS and capturing a display/area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I have no experience with it whatsoever, but I see that it's free, so I'll give it a try!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried using KillAudio on my Lego City vid because apparently there was a slight echo (That I literally cannot hear myself no matter how hard I try) - however it seems to be killing my quality as well, as just adding that one line has dropped my frame size significantly, so it's now sub-480p.
Here's the script:

# Load capture segments from patched AVICAP32 which puts
# video in multiple AVI segments and audio in a WAV file
Loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.6\plugins\ffms2.dll")

video = FFMPegSource2("C:\Users\Chris\Videos\Lego City Footage\LCU 1-take2_00.m2ts")
KillAudio(video)

audio = WavSource("C:\Users\Chris\Music\Lego City Undercover\Commentary\Lego City Undercover Audio 1 Synced.wav")
# combine them into a single clip
final = AudioDub(video, audio)
Clip1 = Trim(final, 564, 940, false)
Clip2 = Trim(final, 1911, 3094, false)#loading game
Clip3 = Trim(final, 4921, 13709, false)#arrive at police station
Clip4 = Trim(final, 14295, 41245, false)
Clip5 = Trim(final, 43061, 74464, false)

Clip1++Clip2++Clip3++Clip4++Clip5

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

BioEnchanted posted:

I tried using KillAudio on my Lego City vid because apparently there was a slight echo (That I literally cannot hear myself no matter how hard I try) - however it seems to be killing my quality as well, as just adding that one line has dropped my frame size significantly, so it's now sub-480p.
Here's the script:

# Load capture segments from patched AVICAP32 which puts
# video in multiple AVI segments and audio in a WAV file
Loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.6\plugins\ffms2.dll")

video = FFMPegSource2("C:\Users\Chris\Videos\Lego City Footage\LCU 1-take2_00.m2ts")
KillAudio(video)

audio = WavSource("C:\Users\Chris\Music\Lego City Undercover\Commentary\Lego City Undercover Audio 1 Synced.wav")
# combine them into a single clip
final = AudioDub(video, audio)
Clip1 = Trim(final, 564, 940, false)
Clip2 = Trim(final, 1911, 3094, false)#loading game
Clip3 = Trim(final, 4921, 13709, false)#arrive at police station
Clip4 = Trim(final, 14295, 41245, false)
Clip5 = Trim(final, 43061, 74464, false)

Clip1++Clip2++Clip3++Clip4++Clip5

Try replacing your
KillAudio(video)
line with
video = KillAudio(video)
The way you're doing it your audiodub uses the unmuted video. That's no reason for your frame size to change but at least it makes your KillAudio actually do something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Thanks for the context check.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've uploaded the LCU raw footage to check for any issues caused by the recording itself - is there any echo to the base recording? If not I'll redo the commentary tomorrow, add the line in avisynth to mute the source vid just in case and see how that goes. Post-com should avoid any echo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOj6gP6zRUE

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nevermind, just had to use the one-click option in MeGUI and my script turned into an MP4 with sound this time.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 22, 2017

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you have more MeGUI issues, this should still be accurate for how to encode a video with MeGUI. Audio encoding might need a different encoder (QAAC?) these days, but the video part should be accurate.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
As odd as this sounds, I've gotten the smallest file sizes from the "very fast" setting for X.264. I have no idea why that is. Other than that yeah, it's still accurate enough.

*From a 22 minute 1080p video at CRF 20 (in gigabytes):
Very fast: 1.04
Very slow: 1.14
Fast, medium, slow and slower 1.21 to 1.22

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My Roxio is doing something odd, not disastrous, but odd. Sometimes it encodes the videos as MP4s with no problem, but sometimes it encodes them as M2TS when they are set to MP4, and then loops infinitely failing to make an MP4. It makes literally no difference, the vids are identical so it's not like M2TS looks bad, it's just weird and inconsistent. Any idea what could be causing that? So far it only did it with vids 1 and 4.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
So I couldn't find a really good guide online but I was wondering what reasonable for custom crf in OBS is for local recordings.

sagacious fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 27, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you set CRF = 0 then you get true lossless encoding with x264, just keep in mind that not all decoders can handle that. Otherwise CRF = 18 should usually be decent for small-scale cutting and a single re-encode afterwards. (But don't take my word on it, try it out and see if you're happy with the result.)
Remember that CRF measures "how much quality may be sacrificed", larger numbers give lower quality/lower bitrate. Small numbers give high quality/high bitrate.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm having trouble capturing component via my AverMedia C027 card using OBS.

It came with this thing, which is in my opinion needlessly confusing, but worse, it just doesn't seem to do the thing. I've tried both of the ports on the card itself to no avail, and capturing straight up HDMI works fine, so I have no idea what's going wrong here. My operating assumption is that the cable's just crap.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 7, 2017

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm having trouble capturing component via my AverMedia C027 card using OBS.

It came with this thing, which is in my opinion needlessly confusing, but worse, it just doesn't seem to do the thing. I've tried both of the ports on the card itself to no avail, and capturing straight up HDMI works fine, so I have no idea what's going wrong here. My operating assumption is that the cable's just crap.

Doesn't look confusing to me. One section's Component, one section's Composite/S-Video. What console are you trying to record at, at what resolution?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Assuming it's the same card I have, there are two identical ports on the back of the card - the multi-AV thing also uses an HDMI port. One should be labeled "HDMI" and the other should be labeled "AV" or something like that. It plugs into the one that isn't HDMI.

But, yeah, without more details it's going to be hard to give an answer beyond that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah the purpose of the various connectors should be pretty clear.

The ferrite core on the component set of connectors makes it easy to tell what pair of audio connectors belongs to what video inputs. And as Xenoveritas points out, it's probably not actually HDMI even if it uses the same type plug. (That's really bad UX design, and probably also violates some trademark agreements with the HDMI association.)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, to clarify, it's not really HDMI - you can't plug it into your TV. But it does use the HDMI port, and for a card that you install into the back of your computer, it's really lovely UX because it makes it really hard to plug in if you can't get a clear view of the port labels. I should see if I can find that card and show what the ports look like. (I replaced it with an Elgato because I find the Elgato easier to use.)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Xenoveritas posted:

Assuming it's the same card I have, there are two identical ports on the back of the card - the multi-AV thing also uses an HDMI port. One should be labeled "HDMI" and the other should be labeled "AV" or something like that. It plugs into the one that isn't HDMI.

But, yeah, without more details it's going to be hard to give an answer beyond that.

Yup, that's what I'm looking at. "HDMI" and "AV_IN".

Touchfuzzy posted:

Doesn't look confusing to me. One section's Component, one section's Composite/S-Video. What console are you trying to record at, at what resolution?

Fair enough. Would've been more accurate to say it was a bit of a mess, which it was since they were all in a singular bunch from being in storage for so long. I'm trying to record a PS2 game which in retrospect means OBS should be at 480i. I've set OBS to that resolution just now for a second recording test, and No Signal once again when trying to capture from AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture or AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture Secondary. The former produces a faint electrical whine in my headset, so it's clearly trying to transmit something.

EDIT: AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture produces the whine regardless of whether anything is plugged into the "AV_IN" port on the card.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 7, 2017

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Fair enough. Would've been more accurate to say it was a bit of a mess, which it was since they were all in a singular bunch from being in storage for so long. I'm trying to record a PS2 game which in retrospect means OBS should be at 480i. I've set OBS to that resolution just now for a second recording test, and No Signal once again when trying to capture from AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture or AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture Secondary. The former produces a faint electrical whine in my headset, so it's clearly trying to transmit something.

EDIT: AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture produces the whine regardless of whether anything is plugged into the "AV_IN" port on the card.

• If it's the PS2, are you using Composite/S-Video or Component cables; if Component, have you set it to YCbCr in the PS2's system settings menu? I'd imagine you've already done it if you played on this before the card, but I'm just asking for completeness' sake.
• Have you tried using Aver Mediacenter or ReCentral or whatever comes with the Darkcrystal HD, and seeing if it shows up there?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Touchfuzzy posted:

• If it's the PS2, are you using Composite/S-Video or Component cables; if Component, have you set it to YCbCr in the PS2's system settings menu? I'd imagine you've already done it if you played on this before the card, but I'm just asking for completeness' sake.
• Have you tried using Aver Mediacenter or ReCentral or whatever comes with the Darkcrystal HD, and seeing if it shows up there?
  • I'm using Component, and yes.
  • I have not; I'll give it a try when I get home.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, I got it to work; turns out I had to do some configuration through AVerMedia's tool.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Just wanna thank Baldurk for updating the rightload and shared plugins for lpix. :yayclod:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The latest Premiere CC update (or possibly the one before that) seems to have broken the Debugmode Frameserver plugin. When I try to export a video using the frameserver, Premiere just throws up an error about a "low level exception" and the export won't work. :argh:

I guess I'll try Advanced Frameserver and see if that fares any better. (fake edit: That one seems to work okay)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Looks like lpix's ssl cert/whatever has expired and not been renewed yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Any word from Baldurk? If it's something like a money issue, I'm sure there's plenty of goons who wouldn't mind throwing a few bucks a month at keeping the site up.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know that Baldurk has said anything, but the certificate now expires in 2018, so it's been fixed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He said a thing about it in the sandcastle.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I have a weird issue that I've noticed with my streams lately but can never quite figure out the answer to. First off, click this link and just go anywhere in it to see what I'm about to discuss:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/153112961

If it doesn't seem immediately apparent to you, the contrast on my stream is ever so slightly higher than normal. Yet I have no idea why. I've scour'd my settings each time and can never figure out why exactly this occurs. Its nothing debilitating by any means, but it bugs me that what I'm showing is typically not indicative of what the game actually looks like.

Included are a bunch of images that show my OBS settings. If anyone has a clue what the heck's going on, please let me know.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Highwang posted:

So I have a weird issue that I've noticed with my streams lately but can never quite figure out the answer to. First off, click this link and just go anywhere in it to see what I'm about to discuss:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/153112961

If it doesn't seem immediately apparent to you, the contrast on my stream is ever so slightly higher than normal. Yet I have no idea why. I've scour'd my settings each time and can never figure out why exactly this occurs. Its nothing debilitating by any means, but it bugs me that what I'm showing is typically not indicative of what the game actually looks like.

Included are a bunch of images that show my OBS settings. If anyone has a clue what the heck's going on, please let me know.

Try messing with the color space and color range options located in that last panel to see if you can't represent the source better. Aside from that, I don't really know what's up. I don't stream a whole lot. I don't imagine it's much different from recording but, y'know.

Touchfuzzy fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 20, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I've been having this problem with Audacity, 2.1.3 version for Windows, with the recording volume. As I'm talking, the volume will lower and raise itself all by itself, making some parts of the commentary unnecessarily loud and others too drat quiet. When I Googled the problem, every solution said to uncheck "Allow application to take exclusive control of this device" for my mic, which I did. This hasn't done anything to solve the issue, and I just want consistent volume for my commentary, so what can I do?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I've been having this problem with Audacity, 2.1.3 version for Windows, with the recording volume. As I'm talking, the volume will lower and raise itself all by itself, making some parts of the commentary unnecessarily loud and others too drat quiet. When I Googled the problem, every solution said to uncheck "Allow application to take exclusive control of this device" for my mic, which I did. This hasn't done anything to solve the issue, and I just want consistent volume for my commentary, so what can I do?

That sounds like some sneak compression going on. Have you checked that you have no other software open that have any settings like "Automatic Gain Control", or have applied any compression effects?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Touchfuzzy posted:

That sounds like some sneak compression going on. Have you checked that you have no other software open that have any settings like "Automatic Gain Control", or have applied any compression effects?
All I really have open is my browser and my Windows Media Player. None of those could cause it, right? Is there some setting on Audacity itself I can change?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It sounds a lot like something is doing automatic gain control - I know Skype had a setting that would do that. You may have to take a look at programs that are running but don't have windows open.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Xenoveritas posted:

It sounds a lot like something is doing automatic gain control - I know Skype had a setting that would do that. You may have to take a look at programs that are running but don't have windows open.
Know of any likely culprits outside of Skype? 'Cause I have that closed and isn't shown running at all in the Task Manager.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What are your Sound -> Communications settings? It should be "Do nothing". By default, it's something else.

Second, check the levels in your Volume Mixer, because the above attenuation setting has a habit of messing this up.

Discord also has a similar attenuation setting under Voice. Turn it off for when both you and others speak.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Some sound cards and USB microphones also have AGC, it's worth checking in either the software for the device or in the device properties under "Recording Devices".

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I've been having this problem with Audacity, 2.1.3 version for Windows, with the recording volume. As I'm talking, the volume will lower and raise itself all by itself, making some parts of the commentary unnecessarily loud and others too drat quiet.

Do you have multiple recording devices? Like a usb mic and something else plugged into the mic jack socket or a webcam with a microphone? Might be something like having set the wrong recording device, where you think your headset mic is getting the audio but it's actually the desktop/webcam mic and moving around is the cause of the problems?

You can probably salvage anything you've already recorded with a plugin like "AGC - Automatic Gain Control.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well drat, I see the problem now, and I feel stupid I didn't grasp it before. I had Discord open, a chat client that allows voice chats. Even though I'm not in one, my mic still acted weird. Closing out of it entirely fixed the issues. Sorry about all that, guys.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Everyone runs into voice attenuation at some point with a serious audio setup. Don't worry about it.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

What the heck is this error? Only started happening today with my most recent recording session. I updated Premiere and re-installed the Advanced Frameserver plug-in yet the problem persists. After around 4 minutes of encoding Premiere throws seven of these simultaneously and stops serving the frames.

e: Trying out an old project, so far it seems like the issue is exclusive to that particular project. Might just have to fiddle around with it

e2: Building the same project from scratch throws the same error. Something's up with the clips or effects in there, then.

Just going to use Premiere's default h.264 encoding and hopefully this won't happen again next time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anyone know a working method of repairing busted MP4 files? I tried to open the latest recording session of one of my LPs and I get this.

I recorded using Nvidia Shadowplay, which has done this before because it works 99% of the time except for the 1% of the time when it shits on you hard. The file is 2h long and 15 GB large, but if I have to wait a while that's fine as long as it works again.