Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what reason would someone have to want to download the game without a subscription barring the trials? the scenario that guy is describing makes no sense. does the few hours you'd be subbed but still downloading really matter? why would next week be any different?

Because I don't want to pay for a 30 day sub then lose a whole day (or two) downloading the client?

Arthil posted:

It's actually more common to be able to fully download and patch the game prior to having a subscription, or even an account. Not exactly sure why FFXIV works that way really. You could get around it though, by starting a new trial account with a throwaway email address.

I'll give that trial account thing a shot, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Haha yeah one whole fifty cent coin

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Susano is really hype. Good music. Cool transition. Good feeling playing him too, because it's actually pretty easy to avoid his poo poo if you keep your head on straight. I love when bosses feel like a test of my reflexes more than any of the other sorts.

It's a drat pubbie smasher though. We wiped like 3 times.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SonicRulez posted:

Susano is really hype. Good music. Cool transition. Good feeling playing him too, because it's actually pretty easy to avoid his poo poo if you keep your head on straight. I love when bosses feel like a test of my reflexes more than any of the other sorts.

We ended up making no mistakes and had only one death (melee lb3 at a predictably bad moment) so now I'm kinda curious about one mechanic: if you gently caress up the rocks by killing the wrong one or leaving the right one alive, what happens? raid aoe?

I have no idea, are fight mechanics a spoiler?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ciaphas posted:

We ended up making no mistakes and had only one death (melee lb3 at a predictably bad moment) so now I'm kinda curious about one mechanic: if you gently caress up the rocks by killing the wrong one or leaving the right one alive, what happens? raid aoe?

It's like Titan. That person dies.

SonicRulez posted:

Now imagine doing that at E3, where you have 7 strangers, and no guarantees any of them have ever played the game before. Also, you only get 3 attempts.

EDIT: I watched one group do the fight and this woman was playing as a Samurai (good job picking a class you definitely do not know how to play). She most of the time was out of melee range and struggled to stick to her target. They never made it past the sword.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mordiceius posted:

Now imagine doing that at E3, where you have 7 strangers, and no guarantees any of them have ever played the game before. Also, you only get 3 attempts.

It's like Titan. That person dies.

Ah, I didn't even realize it was targeted. Shows how much attention I pay.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I think killing the wrong one leads to raid aoe, not killing the right one in time kills the guy inside.

Edit: strikeout is not spoiler.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

SonicRulez posted:

Which I do not understand why.

There are no new mechanics beyond 'pick up a thing'.

People are just bad I guess. I did it as a 63 SAM and only died to

Ciaphas posted:

(melee lb3 at a predictably bad moment)

Start LB3-- Oh. It's a pool. Great. Cool.

On a sidenote.

How do Bards die to AoE?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kaldaris posted:

On a sidenote.

How do Bards die to AoE?

In HW I would frequently tunnel-vision my rotation and not notice the AOEs before it was too late. Now it's less excusable, but I can see the same thing happening, more attention being paid to buttons, procs, rotations than to the characters.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Never played this game, but I want to get the complete edition today, and jump in. Hope I won't be overwhelmed and intimidated being around people who already put 500 hours into the game.

I remember playing my first raid in WoW. People offered me gold to leave the group, and I was a healer.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 20, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ChocNitty posted:

Never played this game, but I want to get the complete edition today, and jump in. Hope I won't be overwhelmed and intimidated being around people who already put 500 hours into the game.

Roll on Excalibur and we'll get you set up with a bunch of good poo poo.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kaldaris posted:

Which I do not understand why.

There are no new mechanics beyond 'pick up a thing'.

I guess it only half-counts but have they done the clash thing before? It definitely caught me a bit off-guard, but then there's quite a few raids I've never done.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Roll on Excalibur and we'll get you set up with a bunch of good poo poo.

My best friend is on Cactuar. That's where I shall be.

Plus i'm playing on the PS4 version. Wondering how it handles the huge crazy group raids.

My friend has a monster PC rig, and it looks glorious. Dunno how this $200 console is going to deal.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ChocNitty posted:

My best friend is on Cactuar. That's where I shall be.

Plus i'm playing on the PS4 version. Wondering how it handles the huge crazy group raids.

My friend has a monster PC rig, and it looks glorious. Dunno how this $200 console is going to deal.

This game was made with optimization blood sorcery. Serious void magic. I play on a craptop and it still looks good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I played at a decently high level at the endgame up until the end of HW while still on a PS3. You'll be absolutely fine on PS4. It is pretty and it is smooth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Catgirls look like they are drowning in armor in the dragoon AF3 3/10 would not glamour

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh holy crap I just did (fourth dungeon) Doma Castle and the duties keep getting better and better. And they started strong! :stonk:

Also I loved how (music/plot) in the cutscenes afterwards as Doma is liberated there's an orchestral remix of the FF6 Doma theme.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kanfy posted:

I guess it only half-counts but have they done the clash thing before? It definitely caught me a bit off-guard, but then there's quite a few raids I've never done.

Ah, that's a QTE, is it? So you mash with mouseclicks, or do you know if there's a button you can mash on your keyboard instead?

(I assume Numpad 0 works as the default, but I'm curious to see if just any input button works.)

(edit: Actually, come to think of it, if Numpad 0 works, doesn't that mean that the Japanese inherently have an advantage on this kind of stuff with 00 keys on their numpad?)

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Kanfy posted:

This specific thing hasn't happened before but there is a quick time event in A11 so that bit of UI/general concept has precedent.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Meet the most RDM MNK ever.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ah, that's a QTE, is it? So you mash with mouseclicks, or do you know if there's a button you can mash on your keyboard instead?

(I assume Numpad 0 works as the default, but I'm curious to see if just any input button works.)

(edit: Actually, come to think of it, if Numpad 0 works, doesn't that mean that the Japanese inherently have an advantage on this kind of stuff with 00 keys on their numpad?)

If it works like A11 then any input button works.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Farewell, ARR, and hello, Heavensward!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

no wait come back heavensward

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I do not see your average pubbie group having much success with the final boss. They managed to top heavensward's though, that's for sure.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
They did better than singularity reactor

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope my queue for the dungeon pops so that I may experience it too

fake e: and of course complaining about it online makes it pop as I'm typing

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Farg posted:

very minor spoiler, just before lochs

why cant alphinaud stop accidentally saying weird pervert things to lady scions

Because he's a god drat HOMEBOY

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Finished Othgard. Othgard rules. I hope we got a lot more to do there, I wanna see the rest of Anime Japan and hang out with the Demon Mongolians some more.

And God drat Zenos you miserable oval office

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading something about Wondrous Tails being different at level 70 but I'm not sure if it meant the content you had to run or the possible rewards. Would it be worth it to wait with picking up a book until I hit level 70? I'm halfway towards level 67 so I should be able to hit it on wednesday/thursday depending on server stability after the actual launch.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Farg posted:

They did better than singularity reactor

You have no idea how hype this makes me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Terper posted:

Farewell, ARR, and hello, Heavensward!

{Congratulations!}

You're over the bad part of the game, from here on out it only trends up.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The first post 60 katana I get and it has a handguard like some kind of Civil War era sabre :argh:

I just want to be a samurai, drat you game. Stop trying to make me look like some weirdly dressed monk who uses gaijin western swords

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Conot posted:

The first post 60 katana I get and it has a handguard like some kind of Civil War era sabre :argh:

I just want to be a samurai, drat you game. Stop trying to make me look like some weirdly dressed monk who uses gaijin western swords

Your character is now a reverse weeaboo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just finished the MSQ. It's a testament to how good 2017 has been for gaming that Stormblood is only my third favorite game this year.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Shy posted:

Hey how do I get my SB code? I bought from the European SE store, it only shows my pre-order code and nothing has been mailed to me recently. Do I wait?

In your confirmation of order e-mail click this button:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't imagine I will ever get tired of watching people scramble to stack with me when I use dragon sight on them

I'm also a little mad with power in deciding which dps to hit with it

Do astrologians get to feel this all the time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Conot posted:

Have you heard of these wonderful items called glamour prisms?

But yeah I saw that officer sabre (Japanese Officers wore western style sabres with guards post-Meji era, not just Civil War duders) and I was like "yuck" myself.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
SUSANO'O WAS GREAT. 10/10 WOULD INTERCEPT GIANT SWORDS WITH MY FACE AGAIN. Although does it seem like last expansion's gear may not last quite as long into the expansion this time around?

I can't wait until I get to 70 and start doing EX.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

SUSANO'O WAS GREAT. 10/10 WOULD INTERCEPT GIANT SWORDS WITH MY FACE AGAIN. Although does it seem like last expansion's gear may not last quite as long into the expansion this time around?

I can't wait until I get to 70 and start doing EX.

Last expansion's BiS will last about 64 instead of 56 this time around, I hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's always the fuckin' white mages man

hey buddy i love to ride the line as the most maligned healer class, please do not lump us all in with the shitbag honest healers please PLEASE