Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

padijun posted:

umm, She Might Be a Liberal though...

Yes Liberals deserve lovely romantic partners, specially the type who talk about giving to charities like it was a merit badge of the soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
You're grotesque.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

GalacticAcid posted:

You're grotesque.

A spineless mooch upon you!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/adequateGF/status/876984717563834370

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yes Liberals deserve lovely romantic partners, specially the type who talk about giving to charities like it was a merit badge of the soul

Like 95% of the people in this country who can be flipped are middle class liberals who don't know any better, but yeah let's drag this bitch for listening to NPR

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

if you think youll convince me 95% of Americans don't deserve disappointing oafs as their lovers you have got another think coming

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I, too, am an equal opportunity offender :twisted:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
How can a non-trust-fund-haver get in on that lifestyle? I can offer slightly more informed politics and the "dignity" of a tenuous "middle class" "progressional" computer janitor job

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's this weird perception of how folk see the podcast that would flourish I feared since episode 1, on which when the dry boys in a way are now stuck on this position (Amber and maybe Brendan aren't as affected by this) where they have to be somewhat cartoony versions of themselves in people's minds. The fact people had kind of a weird denial stage where Felix outright tweeted out he didn't mind tankies as much (When you can clearly tell he shares a lot of their politics and wasn't just fond of Red and Phil, which seems to be the general stance around them) or when Matt went to that videogames podcast suddenly I started seeing more far more hatred towards him, despite the interview being far, far less antagonistic. And turns out those fears are kinda becoming reality, so to speak? There was this exchange between Felix and a friend of his a few days ago where folk pulled their politics entirely from the Current Affairs Hamilton article so much that they started antagonizing kids and "normie" teachers with it that outright started with said friend saying there was a "ArthurChu-inification" of Chapo Fans, that in a way kinda revealed this.

I don't know, it gets somewhat worrying when Felix outright voices concern for matters in Saudi Arabia and that's seen more like a wacky shtick than something that outright affects people.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I don't think anyone thinks it's just a joke, but it's pretty hard to follow anything he says about the Saudis or the region if you aren't knowledgeable already.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

That take sucks and I don't care

Edit: nice sneak edit kunster
Edit #2: everything is terrible your post is back to what I saw originally and I still hate it

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 20, 2017

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

welcome to the podcast fandoms, with people overly investing themselves into personal brands of their audio friends and going insane

Twitter is a genuine threat to mental health of anyone who uses it for anything more than pubcrawl reports, regardless of their intellect or wokeness (sorry, class consciousness). Lot of folks need a regular reality check.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Kunster posted:

There's this weird perception of how folk see the podcast that would flourish I feared since episode 1, on which when the dry boys in a way are now stuck on this position (Amber and maybe Brendan aren't as affected by this) where they have to be somewhat cartoony versions of themselves in people's minds. The fact people had kind of a weird denial stage where Felix outright tweeted out he didn't mind tankies as much (When you can clearly tell he shares a lot of their politics and wasn't just fond of Red and Phil, which seems to be the general stance around them) or when Matt went to that videogames podcast suddenly I started seeing more far more hatred towards him, despite the interview being far, far less antagonistic. And turns out those fears are kinda becoming reality, so to speak? There was this exchange between Felix and a friend of his a few days ago where folk pulled their politics entirely from the Current Affairs Hamilton article so much that they started antagonizing kids and "normie" teachers with it that outright started with said friend saying there was a "ArthurChu-inification" of Chapo Fans, that in a way kinda revealed this.

I don't know, it gets somewhat worrying when Felix outright voices concern for matters in Saudi Arabia and that's seen more like a wacky shtick than something that outright affects people.

What

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Have I had a stroke or *sees avatar* ah nope, just another Kunster post

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kunster posted:

What the gently caress does this mean

Bryter posted:

Okay it's not just me then

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SMP posted:

I don't think anyone thinks it's just a joke, but it's pretty hard to follow anything he says about the Saudis or the region if you aren't knowledgeable already.

who listens to this podcast who doesn't also follow 15 twitter accounts about eurasian and middle eastern geopolitics?

at a minimum you should be listening to mark ames's podcast too

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Famethrowa posted:

is it violence if everytime I see her name the phrase "Flat Shanley" pops into my head?

the name makes me think of shingy, aol's wild-haired "digital evangelist"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I'd rather smash mouth disruption if you take my meaning

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"Safety absolutists"
These absolute motherfuckers

safety jihadists

fatherboxx posted:

Twitter is a genuine threat to mental health of anyone who uses it for anything more than pubcrawl reports, regardless of their intellect or wokeness (sorry, class consciousness). Lot of folks need a regular reality check.

:same: the only things it's good for are callouts and slapfights, and the very occasional truly sick burn (that is immediately lost in time like tears in the rain). it's horrible

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

OK leaving aside the fact your entire post sounds like parts of your brain are missing, what does one vaguely Angry Online man windmill-punching against his own indeterminable image of a podcast's fanbase and an article he disagrees with have to do with literally anything aside from one dingus' weird personal issues?

Clipperton posted:

:same: the only things it's good for are callouts and slapfights, and the very occasional truly sick burn (that is immediately lost in time like tears in the rain). it's horrible
And dril tweets, you fucker.

SMP
May 5, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

who listens to this podcast who doesn't also follow 15 twitter accounts about eurasian and middle eastern geopolitics?

at a minimum you should be listening to mark ames's podcast too

please i am only just now beginning to understand how england's politics works

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SMP posted:

please i am only just now beginning to understand how england's politics works

Good luck with that. :wotwot:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TetsuoTW posted:

And dril tweets, you fucker.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
People seem to get really upset about the fact that 90% of British politics is based off of stuff some lord said once in the 18th century that has become tradition (until someone on a whim decides it isn't tradition anymore).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bryter posted:

Do I smell burning hair and toast?

No, just another Kunster post.

I'm Hamilton!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Clipperton posted:

Yeah, as useful as Twitter could theoretically be for following breaking news or comedy it's such a toxic shithole now that we'd probably be better off if it disappeared practically overnight like Vine did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is Twitter in a situation like Uber where they're living on borrowed time despite their popularity?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Halloween Jack posted:

Is Twitter in a situation like Uber where they're living on borrowed time despite their popularity?

Yes. They have a bunch of revenue, but it can't pay for staff, most of which are sales people working to generate that revenue, which would decrease if they were laid off.

Making all the avatars into circles is somehow not changing this situation.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/877003740850434048

:devil:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Halloween Jack posted:

Isn't most of Silicon Valley on borrowed time?

Joementum posted:

Yes. They have a bunch of revenue, but it can't pay for staff, most of which are sales people working to generate that revenue, which would decrease if they were laid off.

Making all the avatars into circles is somehow not changing this situation.

Somehow the platform that allows Nazis to openly discuss the racial superiority of white people but shadowbans you for tweeting "gently caress you" at said Nazis is struggling to sell itself off or bring in new revenue.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Somehow the platform that allows Nazis to openly discuss the racial superiority of white people but shadowbans you for tweeting "gently caress you" at said Nazis is struggling to sell itself off or bring in new revenue.

Interestingly enough, because Nazis are illegal in Germany and France, they have an is_nazi flag on those accounts, because otherwise they'd get sued real hard.

https://twitter.com/antumbral/status/876843545100824576

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
There was a twitter thread recently theorizing that all the alt-right nazi types post a ton and have lots of bots/garbage posts, which twitter can use to show (inflated) customer count/usage so they don't really want to mess with them.

Edit: That is the thread. You could even make the same argument that is why they haven't banned/stopped Trump from tweeting. Dumb poo poo like covfefe must create crazy spikes in their revenue.

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 20, 2017

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's this one right?

https://twitter.com/d_m_elms/status/874770622202560512

The thread itself works also as a fun coffee break read.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kunster posted:

It's this one right?

https://twitter.com/d_m_elms/status/874770622202560512

The thread itself works also as a fun coffee break read.

As someone who worked in a warehouse for a small computer company in the mid 2000s the sales team being laser focused on just the appearance of being busy and getting lots of leads at the cost of everything else about the company resonated pretty well.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MikeCrotch posted:

People seem to get really upset about the fact that 90% of British politics is based off of stuff some lord said once in the 18th century that has become tradition (until someone on a whim decides it isn't tradition anymore).

which is stupid because that's exactly how parliamentary procedure in the us congress works

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fny99f8amM&lc=z13pgjcj1yfdub3mb22xdbupcx3lh5vwh04.1497864705713682

only took a matter of time before Adam Curtis became "EVIL LIEBURAL:freep:"

quote:

Sure. I don't wish to spend the considerable time required to tear this thing apart. So let's just take 2 short segment and go over it with a fine tooth comb & you can think, research, and judge for yourself.

First I want highlight a propaganda technique used in the initial part dealing with Assad.

In the initial part of the "documentary" we are presented with a sourpuss Assad, who posthumously ("big word" alert ;-) is raised to the role of 1 of 2 contenders (along with Kissinger) as the authors of the mess that is that part of the world. Just these two characters. (!)

Right after the images of that carnage we are shown a laughing Assad and then Assad born on shoulders of Syrians celebrating. The suggestion being planted is that these two snippets are from after that attack. Of course we (I) have no way of knowing if in fact these two snippets are even remotely related to that event. That is one technique.

Regarding the same event, we are told Hizballah was responsible. Here is history net on who actually claimed responsibility (and even the heavily political Wikipedia agrees) but we are told in this "documentary" that is was another group:

http://www.historynet.com/1983-beirut-bombing-the-blt-building-is-gone.htm

And given that these matters are very hot topics, we are faced with conflicting narratives of what actually happened, who really benefitted, etc. I frankly do not know as I'm just you, part of the captive audiance of the monsters in world. But if you recall, we're told US military was pushed out of Beirut and only Syria wanted US out.

http://www.wrmea.org/1995-march/israel-charged-with-systematic-harassment-of-u.s.-marines.html

So let's now look at a somewht less controversial topic - the cyber punks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gibson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromancer (<< 1984 - remember that date.)

I could not believe my ears when we are told by the droning narrator @37:20 that "in cyberspace there were no laws and" -- get this -- "no politicians to protect you". Seriously? Politicians to protect us? Also note, he doesn't say "to protect us", he says "to protect you". PsyOps.

"But then" @ 37:40 (and note the strange musical ping), "but then a strange thing happend. A new group of visionaries in America took Gibson's idea of a hidden secret world and transformed it [PING] to something completely different. They turned it into a dream of a new dream utopia". So this, according to lying sack propagandists at BBC happened AFTER Gibson's 1984 novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Xanadu (<< 1960)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Lib/Dream_Machines (<< 1974)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackers:_Heroes_of_the_Computer_Revolution (<< a look back in 1984)

"CALIFORNIA" @ 38:02 -- oh this is good ..

"They turned Gibson's ideas on its head". Lying sons of bitches (small enough words for ya, ZekeBriarcliff?). Gibson cames decades after them. "they reinvented it as a new safe world where radical dreams can come true".

Starting @ 39:00 we go on a "trip" to the 60s and LSD. And look who we have, it's CIA's own Timothy Leary:

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/cloak-dropper-twisted-history-cia-lsd

Isn't it odd that clever mr. Curtis fails to mention CIA? I mean for God's sake, everybody and their mommy should know this, but not our droning narrator. Not a peep.

Then this "documentary" proceeds to blackwash EFF. After we are shown druggies tripping on LSD he segways to John Perry Barlow @ 41:00

You know, personally I don't know this guy and it is entirely possible that he was on the same payroll as dear Timmy, but when I see that JPB @ 41:11 is subtitled "Electronic Frontier Foundation", my blood boils:

https://www.eff.org/

This technique is called "blackwashing". In your mind, should you be a simpleton like ZekeBriarcliff, EFF is the product of drugged out hippies. Does BBC stop their "programming" here to point out EFF is one the more important organizations today fighting for our digital rights? No. That would not jibe with their intended "programming".

Anyway, I'll stop here as I stopped watching at this point.

Hope this has been helpful. DO NOT take my word for it. Look into the facts YOURSELVES. God Bless!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
*Votes for Bernie Sanders Once*

Haha I loving hate liberals.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

how many times should I have voted for him

SMP
May 5, 2009

as a vermonter i've gotten to vote for him....twice, am i allowed to be mad at libs now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I refuse to read that. Please sum it up in a TLDR for me.