Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Battuta posted:

"Soft earth, plowed deep" or whatever. Neither active nor agentic.

Like doesn't her vag like suck the life out of some guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kcroy posted:

Like doesn't her vag like suck the life out of some guy?

It ages him from pasty youth to callused man, while she goes from withered crone to young and firm. It's basically win-win

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

Just got past the part where Saubon and his crew climb up on that redoubt or whatever it was and go down fighting an endless swarm of Sranc, so fuckin metal that scene was, wish it could be memorialized in a Frazzetta painting

yeah that scene can only be described, as you put it, as "Metal as gently caress". Aside from a Frazzetta painting, it should also be turned into an Iron Maiden song.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It ages him from pasty youth to callused man, while she goes from withered crone to young and firm. It's basically win-win

I'm gonna say going from 15 to 30 is a net loss for the guy.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I would suggest that Bakker never considered female nonmen sorcerers in the context of the lore, because he killed them off at the very start and their role in the narrative was encapsulated in that death. Do we even hear about any female nonmen at all, outside of the womb-plague and how that loss destroyed the entire species? Should we? Would that progress the narrative? In what ways?

Trying to write fantasy in the era of Tumblr derived opinions must be the most anxiety producing career. :cripes:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think the boatman's song is the only connection to a time when the nonmen still were mortal coming up in the text itself. There might have been something in the TTT Apendix.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Rime posted:

I would suggest that Bakker never considered female nonmen sorcerers in the context of the lore, because he killed them off at the very start and their role in the narrative was encapsulated in that death. Do we even hear about any female nonmen at all, outside of the womb-plague and how that loss destroyed the entire species? Should we? Would that progress the narrative? In what ways?

Trying to write fantasy in the era of Tumblr derived opinions must be the most anxiety producing career. :cripes:

He never bothers about the female characters cos he stuffed them all in a fridge thousands of years ago to make the men immortal and pissed off with the Inchoroi, pro defence here guys.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rime posted:

the mother fuckin tumblristas are at it again. ...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Rime posted:

Ah those crazy Tumblr derived opinions!!!

Read the books, you goof. There's a bunch of crazy poo poo going down before the womb plague, mostly around Arkfall. Any female Quya heroes would've been important there and probably pretty helpful too.

This is one of those things like Kellhus comparing a glacier to a woman where it's just a hole in the story. (Did the nonmen grow Tall before immortality? Does the narrative around Arkfall suggest they have big ol giant men already? Do sranc grow Tall? :tinfoil:)

This reminds me, I saw a theory suggesting the womb plague was genuinely meant to help and the inchoroi just hosed up, is there any strong textual support for that?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

amazon posted:

This title will be released on July 25, 2017.

what is this crap.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

kcroy posted:

what is this crap.

EAMD (ever amazon manufactures delays)

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

General Battuta posted:

EAMD (ever amazon manufactures delays)
Delays came swirling down.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I finished the Unholy Consult.
Since there are differing release dates for various countries, I will just say this :

Not actual spoilers, but I'll do it anyways.
gently caress the Dunyain.
Nicely done, Bakker in making the ending anticlimactic.
Apparently the Dunyain aren't as smart as they think.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Prediction time: Kelhus is trying to turn the world into P-Zombies.

Philosophical-zombies are indistinguishable from real humans, they react, they appear to have emotions,but they don't have any internal life, they lack consciousness. Cnauir describes the Skinspies as such - they exist only in the world, they are not bottomless pits to the Outside. When you seal the outside shut you're not just going to condemn the dead to oblivion as the Consult want, you're going to remove free-will from all the people left alive.

All men are their own causes, they're all trying to come before each other. If Kellhus closes the Outside to everyone but himself then he'll become the only conscious being in the universe. This way he becomes the only causative agent in existence, grasping the absolute, unmoved soul etc etc.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

That would own, and change everything for the better, because any p-zombie behaviorally identical to its human counterpart will also include all that human's internal states, since consciousness is simply a calculation performed by dumb matter :smugscrambler:

God if I lived in earwax I wouldn't want any qualia either.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Cardiac posted:

So I finished the Unholy Consult.
Since there are differing release dates for various countries, I will just say this :

Not actual spoilers, but I'll do it anyways.
gently caress the Dunyain.
Nicely done, Bakker in making the ending anticlimactic.
Apparently the Dunyain aren't as smart as they think.

Where are you that the book is out? It doesn't come out in the US until the 25th! Unless Amazon is lying to me......:argh:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

vortmax posted:

Where are you that the book is out? It doesn't come out in the US until the 25th! Unless Amazon is lying to me......:argh:

Sweden.
It is a mystery why, especially since I got the Great Ordeal one month later than US.

Also, Great Ordeal was better.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Bummer there's no amazon sweden to buy the kindle version from. You got a swedish ebook store or something we could check out?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Bummer there's no amazon sweden to buy the kindle version from. You got a swedish ebook store or something we could check out?

Sfbok.se, who apparently sell outside of Sweden for credit card payments . Only physical copies though.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
yeah the physical books have been leaking everywhere

meanwhile us legit e-book purchasers have to wait

<:mad:>

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cardiac posted:

Sfbok.se, who apparently sell outside of Sweden for credit card payments . Only physical copies though.

I thought about it but...$47 and nebulous shipping time? It looks like it might come out as early as the 5th in germany - will probably just get that ebook version.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

General Battuta posted:

That would own, and change everything for the better, because any p-zombie behaviorally identical to its human counterpart will also include all that human's internal states, since consciousness is simply a calculation performed by dumb matter :smugscrambler:

God if I lived in earwax I wouldn't want any qualia either.

Strictly speaking probably yes, but Earwa has proof (or at least circumstantial evidence) of the soul, which means there's a meaningful ditincrion between "Input > Internal State > Output" and "Input > Output"

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah the physical books have been leaking everywhere

meanwhile us legit e-book purchasers have to wait

<:mad:>

That's just one of the differences between books and e-books v:shobon:v

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Yasss, It's here! Can't wait to dig into it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mine arrives somewhere before the sixteenth. Curse you, 4th of July and your business day eating ways!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can get it for Kindle now if you're willing to make up a UK address.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Or a French one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You can get it for Kindle now if you're willing to make up a UK address.

I thought the UK Kindle stuff required a UK payment card. Is that no longer the case? It was always much pickier than the rest of Europe for some reason.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Rereading the books before starting The Unholy Consult, I realized I missed the first time that Cnaiur totally wanted to bang Proyas.

Bakker posted:

What need had he, man-killing Cnaiür, of a woman?

But no matter how obvious his reasons, he still couldn’t help but think of her. The globes of her breasts. The wandering line of her hips. So perfect. How he’d burned for her, burned the way a warrior, a man, should! She was his prize—his proof! He remembered pretending to sleep while listening to her sob in the darkness. He remembered the remorse, as heavy as spring snow, pressing him breathless with its cold. What a fool he’d been! He thought of the apologies, of the desperate pleas that might soften her hatred, that might let her see. He thought of kissing the gentle swell of her belly. And he thought of Anissi, the first wife of his heart, slumbering in the flickering gloom of their faraway hearth, holding tight their daughter, Sanathi, as though sheltering her from the terror of womanhood. And he thought of Proyas.

On the worst nights he hugged himself in the blackness of his tent, screaming and sobbing. He beat the earth with his fists, stabbed holes with his knife, then hosed them. He cursed the world. He cursed the heavens. He cursed Anasûrimbor Moënghus and his monstrous son.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Neurophage posted:

Rereading the books before starting The Unholy Consult, I realized I missed the first time that Cnaiur totally wanted to bang Proyas.

And when Conphas looks into Mattheus' eyes he thinks how pretty his sister must be. Whole lot of sexual repression going on.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
R. Scott Bakker & The Prince of Nothing: Better than Eating and loving a Radioactive Leper

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Even with a UK address it is telling me a release date on the 25th. Oh well.

I'm an idiot fixed and now reading! US payment methods worked for me.

FayGate fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 8, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Welp, my book came yesterday. Today I am finished. My first reaction: :argh: No let's put my thoughts into a mini-review:

As I've heard, Bakker is planning to churn out even more books, so the story not ending shouldn't be a surprise, but still. Is writing good endings too hard for authors nowadays? The book ends in a cliffhanger so steep, it wraps around to itself, turning into a Möbius strip of suckage.

But apart from the ending, the bad philosophy and the other Bakkerisms ("Death comes swirling down"), the book was actually good. It also was a rather painful experience to read, since it shows Bakker could be so much better if he just took his head out of his rear end, but oh well. Wishing for people to change is a fool's errand, so back to waiting how this turns out.

Though at this point I'm almost sure Bakker tries to go down the road of Jordan and just write book after book after book, with the true ending always teasing us from afar.

Anyway, I've read books from authors who actually could put a good end into their books, regardless of how they were placed in their insane fictitious universe time line, so Bakker really has no excuse. But! Reading The Unholy Consult is still worthwhile, just for the sheer madness Bakker puts in there. Most of it is stuff you probably already expected, but Bakker is throwing us some mean curveballs here. It's also incredible impressive how Bakker, at the very end of his second trilogy, decides to end it with a cliffhanger so brazen, it makes you feel physical pain. Now that's bravery. It's also completely insane, but that's Bakker for you.

And because I don't want to write an entirely spoiler-free post, don't read this if you want the Unholy Consult unspoiled:

Kellhus is killed by an evil child. The evil child becomes the No-God and kills everyone. The End.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I haven't finished it yet, but I was under the impression that TUC was wrapping up this story arc but wasn't ever planned as the final book of the series.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but I was under the impression that TUC was wrapping up this story arc but wasn't ever planned as the final book of the series.

Two more in a new series is what I have read. Makes sense with the ending of UC.

Next series will end with Moenghus killing the NoGod with the Heron Spear, which the Scylvendi had found from sacking Cenei

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Ninth Layer posted:

Well, then either your impression was utterly wrong, or Bakker should look up the meaning of "wrapping up" in a dictionary, because holy hell was that a jarring ending.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
It's always been obvious that the Second Apocalypse is mirroring the First in its broad strokes. Kellhus' ancestor was not the ultimate victor.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It's always been obvious that the Second Apocalypse is mirroring the First in its broad strokes. Kellhus' ancestor was not the ultimate victor.

Achamian is Seswatha m/b?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

General Battuta posted:

Achamian is Seswatha m/b?

Always the most obvious bit. This cycle just reversed which guy banged the other's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Now that I'm reflecting on this, yes. You could say the Second Apocalypse has some similarities to how the first one went, if you ignore like 80% of what is happening. (Of course, I may be unfair since I've already read the Unholy Consult.)