Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

theironjef posted:

I did one too! Only to annoy the other guy that uses my shared twitter account since he was really busy, though.

I'm excited about your Gamma World lets play.

Do you know about the goon made roguelike Caves of Qud which pays a lot of homage to Gamma World?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/Caves_of_Qud/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739217

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Huh, I might have a copy of Cortex left over from when I was planning out a solo Gundam game for my cousin.

Every time I hear SLA Industries it takes me a moment to realize it's not referring to the Symbionese Liberation Army and isn't a Liberal Crime Squad RPG.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm excited about your Gamma World lets play.

Do you know about the goon made roguelike Caves of Qud which pays a lot of homage to Gamma World?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/Caves_of_Qud/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739217

I didn't but I will look into it!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I got the Outlaw Star blu-rays today, which is very dangerous, as it might end up inspiring me to try GMing another space game.

IT'S HAPPENING I'M GETTING IDEAS

Anime is dangerous

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The "Most Dangerous" is Geist, MD.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like Pendragon is the new Bundle of Holding, along with The Great Pendragon Campaign in the bonus section.

Does anyone know what the differences are between this "5.2 edition" and what the earlier originals were?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So how many games out there are firmly situated in the technothriller or modern military genres? Spycraft, Millennium's End, Wilderness of Mirrors, Phoenix Command, Price of Freedom...I know Twilight 2000 and The Morrow Project are technically post-apoc, but I'd count them.

Then you have a few that shade into horror/fantasy without allowing the "about secret agents" to just become window dressing. EABA Code:Black, Night's Black Agents, Conspiracy X...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What is the most tasteless RPG book? Is it Charnel Houses of Europe or is there something even more tasteless?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Len posted:

What is the most tasteless RPG book? Is it Charnel Houses of Europe or is there something even more tasteless?

FATAL, obviously. Almost any LOTFP book picked at random. WOD: Gypsies gets special credit for being named after a slur. BOVD can't be the worst but it's one of the highest profile.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Len posted:

as the official F&F archiver, I'd have to say Charnel Houses of Europe is about as tasteful as it's possible to make a World of Darkness book about the Holocaust. they've done far worse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Charnel Houses of Europe was a stupid idea to begin with but they at least handled it as tastefully as they could. Like, don't do that, but if for some reason you NEED to I guess kudos for being respectful?

WoD Gypsies is literally the most racist thing I've read a major RPG publisher do.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cease to Hope posted:

FATAL, obviously. Almost any LOTFP book picked at random. WOD: Gypsies gets special credit for being named after a slur. BOVD can't be the worst but it's one of the highest profile.

Yeah, I can't imagine how this is even a question.

FATAL posted:

88% - Uterus, or womb, connects the vagina and the fallopian tubes.
1. If pregnant, child (80%) likely dies and is born dead. Mother, also, must pass a Health check or die immediately.
2. The tissue leading to the womb will head in 3D6 weeks. Worse above all, this female will not desire sex for 1d6 months.

FATAL posted:

35. Jewy Jewbacca, of: Whosoever dons this armor will acquire a nose twice the size and a manhood half the size. Further, the wearer will become extremely greedy and fight to the death for one silver piece.

For the record, that second quote goes on for a while about body hair after that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like that they werent confident that "Jewbacca" would land, so they had to really make sure you knew this was an explicitly Jewish in ethnicity and practice wookie named Jewbacca, and not one of those ethnically Jewish named wookies who practice post-reformation Jedi-ism.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I figured FATAL didn't count because it's just the worst everything

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Shadowrun 4e had a plethora of legitimately AWFUL sourcebooks as part of their rebranding to be as non-punk as possible, but the most odious was probably War!, wherein they had a plot hook that involved going into Auschwitz to kill holocaust ghosts in order to retrieve a magical artifact which is literally an evil nazi doctor's scalpel.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ProfessorCirno posted:

Shadowrun 4e had a plethora of legitimately AWFUL sourcebooks as part of their rebranding to be as non-punk as possible, but the most odious was probably War!, wherein they had a plot hook that involved going into Auschwitz to kill holocaust ghosts in order to retrieve a magical artifact which is literally an evil nazi doctor's scalpel.

I have very mixed feelings about Shadowrun 4e, one of the reasons I'm planning on selling my small Shadowrun collection to Noble Knight Games(along with some Star Wars SAGA & D20 stuff), well that and me needing money

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

The F&F review of Charnel Houses of Europe gave me the impression that the topic was handled tastefully and was about the best that could be done unless the basic concept of turning the Holocaust into a setting is beyond the pale.

My submission would be Death Valley Free Prison, a sourcebook for Rolemaster-derivative Cyberspace RPG that engaged in a lot of racist tropes in its post-apocalyptic California/Arizona setting.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Whatever it turns out to be I'm betting dollars to donuts it's a Chris Fields joint. Probably the one that has Roe v. Wade shatter America into Pagan Witch Land and RoboMiddle America.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Chris Fields is almost as much of an Easy Mode answer as FATAL. I'm not sure that dude has ever written anything that isn't brutally tasteless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

So how many games out there are firmly situated in the technothriller or modern military genres? Spycraft, Millennium's End, Wilderness of Mirrors, Phoenix Command, Price of Freedom...I know Twilight 2000 and The Morrow Project are technically post-apoc, but I'd count them.

Then you have a few that shade into horror/fantasy without allowing the "about secret agents" to just become window dressing. EABA Code:Black, Night's Black Agents, Conspiracy X...

There's this game I've got in my library called BLACK SEVEN that's pretty much Alpha Protocol: The TRPG.

There's also the Lasers & Feelings hack Tactical Waifu

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Maltose posted:

Whatever it turns out to be I'm betting dollars to donuts it's a Chris Fields joint. Probably the one that has Roe v. Wade shatter America into Pagan Witch Land and RoboMiddle America.

Uh WUT?!?!?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Looks like Pendragon is the new Bundle of Holding, along with The Great Pendragon Campaign in the bonus section.

Does anyone know what the differences are between this "5.2 edition" and what the earlier originals were?

5.2 is pretty much just errata and general cleaning up of the rules, with a new layout and new art. There's no real reason to get an older edition and if you have 5.1 you should have/be getting 5.2 for free.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Shadowrun 4e had a plethora of legitimately AWFUL sourcebooks as part of their rebranding to be as non-punk as possible

what the gently caress

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Look it just turns out corporations are good ok

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

drrockso20 posted:

Uh WUT?!?!?

Chris Fields is a somehow-still-prolific writer that likes using the 3e d20 rules to sell his fetish games and must make a living on that somehow. Otherverse America is the one where the abortion debate caused the second American civil war and there's a massive floating dick in space. It also offers full compatibility with his tentacle rape hentai setting, Black Tokyo. This includes his recent supplement adventure for Black Tokyo, A Tournament of Rapists. You can also throw in all of his Furry d20 rules for extra fun.

e- speaking of the civil war and good taste, that upcoming supplement for Beast: the Primordial set during the reconstruction era will surely be handled tactfully :newlol:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 20, 2017

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I hope it turns out the real monsters are the Southern aristocracy and you get to support the Freedman's Bureau or something. And if you dont, well do it anyway :sherman:
I mean, if nothing else the success of the Wolfenstein revivals shows there's a market for that kind of thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Y'all know they already published that supplement months ago as part of Dark Eras Companion and you can go ahead and read it, right? The thing that they're working on now is just the printed version you can buy separately from the big book.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Y'all know they already published that supplement months ago as part of Dark Eras Companion and you can go ahead and read it, right? The thing that they're working on now is just the printed version you can buy separately from the big book.

i feel like this would require knowing more about beast which is something i just can't do

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

No I didn't realize it was part of that crossover book the put out back in March. I figured it'd be its own mini book or pdf like the Hunter tie in. How is it then?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
So did Wizards of the Coast stop publishing novels or something?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Honestly they've mostly stopped publishing anything.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ChrisAsmadi posted:

So did Wizards of the Coast stop publishing novels or something?

I think they've slowed down and maybe stopped doing MtG novels completely but they're still publishing D&D stuff.

I just started listening to Brimstone Angels on audible, it is not good, but I'm also trash so I'll probably stick with it.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/fiction/novels

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

mango sentinel posted:

I think they've slowed down and maybe stopped doing MtG novels completely but they're still publishing D&D stuff.

I just started listening to Brimstone Angels on audible, it is not good, but I'm also trash so I'll probably stick with it.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/fiction/novels

That page is why I asked, given how they've not published anything in over half a year.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

inklesspen posted:

Honestly they've mostly stopped publishing anything.
Here's what their website says for "recent" tabletop releases:

April 2017: Tales from the Yawning Portal, a dungeon collection
November 2016: Volo's guide to monsters, which looks like a Monster Manual with an even lower information density and Ed Greenwood characters.
November 2016: Dungeonology, a mechanic-free guide to FR (???).
September 2016: Storm King's Thunder, a 1-10 adventure.
March 2016: Curse of Strahd, a 1-10 adventure.
November 2015: Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
April 2015: Elemental Evil Player's Companion. Is 25 pages.
April 2015: Princes of the Apocalypse, Elemental Evil but in FR.

They're not even trying to publish books.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

November 2016: Volo's guide to monsters, which looks like a Monster Manual with an even lower information density and Ed Greenwood characters.

Most successful D&D ever is a really nonsense claim when nothing is coming out the pipeline and the team is tiny. They're not even trying to pump out other material to capitalise on it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

Goddamn. Does Magic alone really keep them afloat? It's like they are begging a third party (Pazio) to take over the D&D niche.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Didn't they say from the beginning that there wasn't going to be a lot of official support for 5e?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Goddamn. Does Magic alone really keep them afloat? It's like they are begging a third party (Pazio) to take over the D&D niche.

Magic likely makes ten times the money D&D ever did, conservatively speaking.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Magic likely makes ten times the money D&D ever did, conservatively speaking.

That's definitely a conservative estimate since what sales figures we have had in the past seemed to indicate Magic did a hell of a lot more than ten times the volume of sales and they have to make more per card box than they do per core book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Nobody's really got any idea about D&D's specific sales figures. I can see it being successful based on being a good time for it in the zeitgeist though.

• Locked thread