Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I just got offered a trade on the PT Cruiser.

A fuckin' Festiva!

Let's BP-swap this son of a bitch and head for flavour town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

I've been looking for cool cars locally, nothing has cropped up that I can afford or that checks the boxes.

Go buy an old bargain 996
and pray the motor doesn't poo poo itself

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

everdave posted:

I'm talking about fully rebuilt ones on eBay that go for $12-18k, 2016's with 5k mikes

?? The festiva was only around for a few years in the early 90's. It's a captive Mazda or Suzuki IIRC

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

?? The festiva was only around for a few years in the early 90's. It's a captive Mazda or Suzuki IIRC

I am talking about 2016 Focus not anything about Festiva which I am very familiar with as I once rode home 500+ miles in one from Panama City

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

I am talking about 2016 Focus not anything about Festiva which I am very familiar with as I once rode home 500+ miles in one from Panama City

LoL, we got our wires crossed. Somebody offered me a Festiva in trade for the PT.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

LoL, we got our wires crossed. Somebody offered me a Festiva in trade for the PT.

I would rather have a Festiva than a PT and they actually went for good money (relatively) during $4 gas. Go ahead and throw a Fiesta in there too. Just no Aspire (shudder). Though there are plenty of PT's in my small town and I know these people don't maintain them so some last. They are everywhere.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'd still take festiva over PT. The Festiva serves the same purpose of a beater, but is lighter, faster, and has inherent value

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well we're gonna see if this PT power steering issue can be easily fixed (patched with JB weld lol) on Saturday and then decide if I keep driving it or put it up for sale. It really is in great shape, year old tires, 18 month old shock and the heat and AC both work so I figure I can get at least a grand out of it. Then I'll buy my friends that gave it to me lunch and feel cool with it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Well we're gonna see if this PT power steering issue can be easily fixed (patched with JB weld lol) on Saturday and then decide if I keep driving it or put it up for sale. It really is in great shape, year old tires, 18 month old shock and the heat and AC both work so I figure I can get at least a grand out of it. Then I'll buy my friends that gave it to me lunch and feel cool with it.

Why are you messing with that? Just get a new hose drat son.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Why are you messing with that? Just get a new hose drat son.

It's not easy to swap, you have to take out the grill, drain and remove the radiator and a few other things. It's a loving PT Cruiser.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It's not easy to swap, you have to take out the grill, drain and remove the radiator and a few other things. It's a loving PT Cruiser.

Assume the service position come on! Ha hope it works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well the patch idea is

1: find leak
2: clean the metal hose
3: cover leaking spot to keep JB weld out of the line
4: JB Weld the gently caress out of the surface
5: Bend of split piece of conduit over the area
6: secure with like 17 hose clamps that I have lying around
7: NO MORE LEAKS (yeah right)

It just has to hold pressure until the car is no longer my problem.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CommieGIR posted:

Learn how to rebuild compressors and keep the old one as a spare. That's what I do.

That's the plan, if I can track down the parts. This one didn't fail catastrophically and (at least AFAIK) didn't spew teflon or black death through the system, so it'd probably be perfect to learn on. As far as I know, I need the clutch and the front seal, plus whatever else needs replacing when you tear them apart.

Rockauto doesn't carry the clutch for it though, so I'm already at a bit of a loss. I guess I'm gonna have to refine my Google-fu to track down rebuild parts for this one.

Darchangel posted:

If you need AC equipment (vac pump and gauges), I have them, and three major auto parts stores within a mile or two.

Appreciate it, but it's tight enough in there that I'd rather just farm it out. A friend works at a shop in Wylie, he's agreed to do for a not horrific amount of cash. Also throwing a new belt on; I have 75k on this belt, may as well do it at the same time.

The gently caress did I just watch :stare:

Pretty drat funny though

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Early festivas here were proper mazda 121s, only the later ones were KIAs which were terrible except for the 2 stroke piston orbital based fuel injected ones.
E: yeah these later kia designed ones are the ones you guys are calling aspires, they were just called 2nd gen festivas in AU which why no one likes festivas here.

the split between the festiva and mazda was when mazda went with the autozam "bubble car" or "jellybean" 121, and ford went their own way with KIA to make the 2nd gen festiva which ruined the name.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 20, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sadi posted:

My problem with it is it drove like a FWD car, not as huckable and throttle steery at all to my feeling anyway. If I have AWD I want it heavily rear biased
Mmm. Road car AWD should preferably behave like slightly more docile RWD, not I Can't Believe It's Not FWD.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The only awd car I've driven hard was my v70 which understeered in 2wd trim. That one you just nailed into corners and the back end helped you out enough to not die. Great fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Mmm. Road car AWD should preferably behave like slightly more docile RWD, not I Can't Believe It's Not FWD.

Disagree. A good AWD system isnt RWD biased at all. The best is the way of the EVO and do a 50:50 natural spilt or have this ridicoulously complex 0:100/50:50 setup of ATTESA. Subarus work best closer to 50:50 as well and definatly do not behave like RWD nor should they. A good AWD system should allow you to AWD drift, which is where the true speed of AWD can be reached - that needs to be a bit understeery to be initially generated

I personally dont think much of AWD's that are in reality FWD's that transfer power to the rear on quasi demand but I'm also no fan of the reverse either unless it's the aforementioned ATTESA

quote:

(exaggeration, going slower and more controlled weigh transfer leads to balanced driving)

Again disgree. Doing your initial thought of beng aggressive and grabbing it by the scruff of the neck can give you the best balance. Not ham fisted stupid aggressive of course but the truth is that a AWD chassis isnt for being subtle.

quote:

I don't much like my WRX on road, on dirt it's not bad but you really have to grab it by the scruff of the neck, throw it around, and keep the throttle planted for it to not understeer

Which is why I love them on road or dirt. Attack, attack, attack :D

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kazinsal posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that its wheels are that small.

Two words: Donk Festiva.

Sooooo... 16s?

E: also no honest man needs more than rwd with a solid axle and open diff. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 20, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

For road driving i prefer Attesa but if you really need AWD for grip in non dry road conditions then a 50:50 full time system with ESC like an Evo or Subaru will be better. Driving a 50:50 AWD system fast as Cat Interceptor said is about planting your foot and letting the computers sort it out.

As for FWD systems with AWD when needed my wife has a Tiguan 4Motion and in the snow and sludge it does well but you can tell it is there just to keep people on the road rather than any kind of performance application. If you do plant your foot it thinks about it for 3-4 seconds then decides to go into AWD and start responding :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

For road driving i prefer Attesa but if you really need AWD for grip in non dry road conditions then a 50:50 full time system with ESC like an Evo or Subaru will be better. Driving a 50:50 AWD system fast as Cat Interceptor said is about planting your foot and letting the computers sort it out.

As for FWD systems with AWD when needed my wife has a Tiguan 4Motion and in the snow and sludge it does well but you can tell it is there just to keep people on the road rather than any kind of performance application. If you do plant your foot it thinks about it for 3-4 seconds then decides to go into AWD and start responding :v:

gently caress your computers, we have Torsen and locking diffs.

https://youtu.be/9kT8x0uui2o

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Enourmo posted:

Sooooo... 16s?

E: also no honest man needs more than rwd with a solid axle and open diff. :colbert:

I see where you're going with this, like everyone should have a falcon ute with a barra, but an LSD is good to have as well because one wheel burnouts are less entertaining.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

Sooooo... 16s?

Lol. I was looking at buying a new '87 or '88 Festiva (long time ago, I forget which one). I was pricing it out and comparing the worth of the stock 12" versus the upgraded 13" alloys.

Eventually, I said "gently caress that noise" and bought a used Camaro instead. The only logical choice.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress your computers

I am happily married thank you very much.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've had like 7 festivas. get one. Use assfire parts to upgrade the brakes, the struts will lift it around 2-3". BP is a bolt in proposition that makes it hilariously fun to drive. it'll spin a stock 12" in 4th gear and try to put you in a ditch at 80. It'll run a 14 flat quarter all day everyday while getting 37mpg, which isn't bad for a car you could literally cobble for under $1000. The trans will be the weak spot if it's a stick. lotta ways to upgrade that. the slushy is relatively stout however.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A good AWD system should allow you to AWD drift, which is where the true speed of AWD can be reached - that needs to be a bit understeery to be initially generated
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive though.

quote:

I personally dont think much of AWD's that are in reality FWD's that transfer power to the rear on quasi demand but I'm also no fan of the reverse either unless it's the aforementioned ATTESA
I agree on the FWD stuff, but rather than something electronic like ATTESA, I think what I'd really like is something like the Quadradrive in my WJ, where it's purely mechanical.

You have to remember, I'm talking from a perspective of what I find enjoyable to drive. Even if something is technically faster, if I don't enjoy the experience, I don't care. I don't compete, and for road driving you can make most stuff go fast enough.

I find the "grab it by the scruff of the neck and make it do it" thing fun in FWD hot hatches, but I don't want it in an AWD car because I don't want it in an AWD car.

Edit: Though given the latest project car acquisition, I probably shouldn't rant too much about FWD-derived AWD stuff!

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 20, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

That looks like it should tip rear end over tea kettle when you step on the brakes.

Fo3 posted:

an LSD is good to have as well because one wheel burnouts are less entertaining.

I very much want to build a reverse trike and one-wheel superbike-powered burnouts sound pretty drat awesome thanks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

That looks like it should tip rear end over tea kettle when you step on the brakes.
"Hans! Ze facking radiator vill not fit"

quote:

I very much want to build a reverse trike and one-wheel superbike-powered burnouts sound pretty drat awesome thanks.
Grinnall Scorpion?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

automotive insanity likes to gently caress their computers and cum in them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

"Hans! Ze facking radiator vill not fit"

"Dummkopf, that's why ve put it beside ze motor instead of in front of it"

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

automotive insanity likes to gently caress their computers and cum in them

Why you gotta be so literal.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 20, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

"Dummkopf, that's why ve put it beside ze motor instead of in front of it"
"Everyone list what you've been working on, and expected time until completed"

"Cooler, two weeks"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Why you gotta be so literal.

https://youtu.be/JW9L7SGtmRU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Grinnall Scorpion?

Yeah, just not £10k

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

"Cooler, two weeks"

I wonder how much development time went into the layout.

Regardless, I still prefer that layout. It takes less than 5 minutes to pull the radiator and swap it. Better than having to put the car in the service position and pull the core support.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 20, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Well if you've only got one at the back that's different to a wheel at the back doing nothing :(
In other sad news, has kevbarlas forgotten us?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

"Cooler, two weeks"

Nice. Pip pip, old chap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yeah, just not £10k
Other than the IVA hassle, probably not too bad to build one, and those are the type that sidestep my usual "trikes are awful, what's wrong with you?" thing.

CommieGIR posted:

I wonder how much development time went into the layout.
I think the S1 Sport Quattro actually has the radiator in the back, doesn't it?

Fo3 posted:

In other sad news, has kevbarlas forgotten us?
He's in Scotland in June. He's either hiding in fear of the strange orange thing in the sky, or has been eaten by midges.

spog posted:

Nice. Pip pip, old chap.
It is the sworn duty of all VAG products to try to break. If they cannot break, then it is their sworn duty to cause the owner to use an inordinate amount of preventative maintenance to keep them running, and their sworn duty to harass the warranty company to the best of their ability.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The gently caress did I just watch :stare:

Pretty drat funny though

Welcome to Regular Car Reviews. If you've never seen any of their videos before, it's basically reviews of generally common or at most uncommon vehicles written by a couple dirty humour enjoying English majors in their early 30s, with all that entails.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Other than the IVA hassle, probably not too bad to build one, and those are the type that sidestep my usual "trikes are awful, what's wrong with you?" thing.

You can tell I'm recovering, I didn't even mention diesel :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You can tell I'm recovering, I didn't even mention diesel :v:
Aw, and I have an entire VW 1.4TDI engine, box, ecu and loom etc for sale, too!

But quite seriously, the IVA barrier for a light trike is going to be much lower than a car, so I think it's totally doable on a budget. I've seen off-road trikes using a bike rear end, too, and they look fun as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Finally sold my E36 M3 last night after being listed for about four months. :feelsgood: however I did let it go for less than what I wanted. The dude came, seemed really interested so I went for a low figure and told him "That is the lowest I will do right now. In a week or a month I will probably not agree to that price". It is nice to be back down to just two cars (nice car and beater).

Taking the kids to Cars 3 tonight. There is a lot of hate for Cars 2 because it was mostly Mater's side show which is irritating at best but the car jokes and poking fun at Leyland motors is great. All in all I enjoyed it but there was not quite the magic of the first. The Cars toys have all been fantastic though.

• Locked thread