Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

chutche2 posted:

So two possible lists, one version with a Stormraven and one with a Land Raider.

I get it. I've only been following the 40k threads for a month or 2 and at first I wondered why everyone gave you a harder time than the normal goony levels of ridicule.

You're a munchkin. You're not a bad munchkin but it's definitely your nature. Storm Raven vs Land Raider is an excellent discussion, but you've framed it entirely in terms of table advantage. I have a Storm Raven and will get a crusader at some point, but for me they serve 2 distinct purposes and the only reason it's an either-or situation is because of cost.

There's nothing wrong with being a munchkin, but it's the antithesis of the reasons I game. And since I'm a goon I had to call you out.

E: top of page content.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah. It says somewhere else (I forgot where) that squad leaders are free upgrades.

That's cool. Since the base squad didn't start with "1x Boss Nob & X Boyz", I thought it was an upgrade I had to pay for...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wow rude.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DiHK posted:

I get it. I've only been following the 40k threads for a month or 2 and at first I wondered why everyone gave you a harder time than the normal goony levels of ridicule.

You're a munchkin. You're not a bad munchkin but it's definitely your nature. Storm Raven vs Land Raider is an excellent discussion, but you've framed it entirely in terms of table advantage. I have a Storm Raven and will get a crusader at some point, but for me they serve 2 distinct purposes and the only reason it's an either-or situation is because of cost.

There's nothing wrong with being a munchkin, but it's the antithesis of the reasons I game. And since I'm a goon I had to call you out.
They're giving him poo poo because he responded to prodding. They continue to do it in order to get that response again.

However, because of your final sentence, you've admitted you're being a jerk just to be a jerk. Don't be a jerk because someone plays differently from you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
People who play Plastic Space Barbies different from me are Doing It Wrong and are Having Fun Badly. Sad!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I make fun of chutche but I don't mind his content since he's just yakking it up about slamming a few hams more effectively.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DiHK posted:

Wow this is stupid

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Anybody with an index able to post the stats for GK terminators and paladins? Found a box of 'em that I never built.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bombogenesis posted:

Anybody with an index able to post the stats for GK terminators and paladins? Found a box of 'em that I never built.

This is like the time I found a $90 box of blood knights I bought because they looked cool and flipped on eBay for inflation plus 10% :cool:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

DiHK posted:

In this case, it's actually more about which list I find cooler. than about table advantage. I'm coming up with how I would use both of them so I can see which way I like it better.

I think stormravens are awesome as hell but getting a crusader means I can bust out my relic tanks which look amazing. The two lists are pretty much equivalent as far as which one is better on the table, I'm trying to work out if I want to spend my money to airdrop my contemptor and terminators from a flying land raider, or taking an actual land raider so I can field my 30k tanks in 40k. Because the relic sicaran venator looks loving amazing, it moves 14 inches and can fire on the move. I could be cheap and fit in my 3 mortars for 27 points to open up that heavy support slot but that feels kinda bullshit, I don't like mixing in one guard unit for an advantage. I'm eventually going to get both, but that's a big investment that I'm not going to make for a while since I'm going to eventually pick up a dark imperium box before I do that and don't want to budget like $300 for all 3 of those things.

If I was trying to be a munchkin you better loving believe I wouldn't be using Vaylund Cal. 200 points for his rear end is real lovely, he's tough but only has 3 attacks and pays 24 points for servo arms he'll never use.

Edit: I don't think I made it clear in my post, but so with the Relic keyword you can't have more Relic than non-Relic units of the same battle role in a given detachment. So to be able to use a relic tank, you have to already have a non-relic heavy support slot.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 20, 2017

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Wow this is stupid

Munchkin talk in tyool 2017

What a time to be alive

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

In this case, it's actually more about which list I find cooler. than about table advantage. I'm coming up with how I would use both of them so I can see which way I like it better.

I think stormravens are awesome as hell but getting a crusader means I can bust out my relic tanks which look amazing. The two lists are pretty much equivalent as far as which one is better on the table, I'm trying to work out if I want to spend my money to airdrop my contemptor and terminators from a flying land raider, or taking an actual land raider so I can field my 30k tanks in 40k. Because the relic sicaran venator looks loving amazing, it moves 14 inches and can fire on the move. I could be cheap and fit in my 3 mortars for 27 points to open up that heavy support slot but that feels kinda bullshit, I don't like mixing in one guard unit for an advantage. I'm eventually going to get both, but that's a big investment that I'm not going to make for a while since I'm going to eventually pick up a dark imperium box before I do that and don't want to budget like $300 for all 3 of those things.

Man this is a classy post :cheerdoge:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

JBP posted:

Man this is a classy post :cheerdoge:

Not emptyquoting.

Bought Deathwatch Overkill last night. A friend pointed out that "Kill Team Cassius" is over 500 points by itself.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see some numbers on how much the Primaris release has hurt the sales on smallmarines. There's a bunch of stuff that looks pretty good now that I'd never bother to buy before like Whirlwinds and Landraiders but the knowledge that there's likely to be a new, bigger, replacement sometime soon really puts a damper on things.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pendent posted:

I'd like to see some numbers on how much the Primaris release has hurt the sales on smallmarines. There's a bunch of stuff that looks pretty good now that I'd never bother to buy before like Whirlwinds and Landraiders but the knowledge that there's likely to be a new, bigger, replacement sometime soon really puts a damper on things.

I would be surprised if bigly tanks were to wholesale replace the main line SM ones but who knows at this point. I guess if you have the money and like the model buy it. A bigger version of it or whatever isn't going to dampen your enjoyment of the current model. Hell I bought one of the last Thunderhawks to roll off the line and was like poo poo, but I like it better than the new version.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Munchkin talk in tyool 2017

What a time to be alive

loving WAACer cheese monkeys considering whether Thing A works better than Thing B

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

I think stormravens are awesome as hell but getting a crusader means I can bust out my relic tanks which look amazing. The two lists are pretty much equivalent as far as which one is better on the table, I'm trying to work out if I want to spend my money to airdrop my contemptor and terminators from a flying land raider, or taking an actual land raider so I can field my 30k tanks in 40k. Because the relic sicaran looks loving amazing, it moves 14 inches and can fire on the move. I could be cheap and fit in my 3 mortars for 27 points to open up that heavy support slot but that feels kinda bullshit, I don't like mixing in one guard unit for an advantage.

The one thing I'd suggest is that you don't make the mistake of discounting mobility. One of the most common mistakes I see 40k players make when they try to build lists is, because it's difficult to quantify, they completely disregard the role of mobility and assign zero value to the unit's ability to get around the table, reach objectives/combat, and retreat to a safe distance when outmatched. So you end up with people talking about how "crazy" it is that Jump Pack Death Company cost more than Berserkers, when the latter may be more brutal in close combat, but they require you buy a transport to get them there

e: Basically, I'm saying I think the Storm Raven is a better choice

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Saw some pages back some people had a snap-fit Primaris model. How do you get one of those?

Also I'm real sad that Frontline Gaming hasn't shipped my copy of Dark Imperium yet. I need my fix :orks:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheChirurgeon posted:

The one thing I'd suggest is that you don't make the mistake of discounting mobility. One of the most common mistakes I see 40k players make when they try to build lists is, because it's difficult to quantify, they completely disregard the role of mobility and assign zero value to the unit's ability to get around the table, reach objectives/combat, and retreat to a safe distance when outmatched. So you end up with people talking about how "crazy" it is that Jump Pack Death Company cost more than Berserkers, when the latter may be more brutal in close combat, but they require you buy a transport to get them there

Yep. I always favour jump assault troops over transport reliant ones because you can rock up very suddenly and a change in the game doesn't leave you out to dry, you just zip off and do/punch something else. There are downsides of course but I have a movement focussed brain in every kind of game I play and I like being able to stunt when it's called for rather than being risk averse and trundling about in a fuckload of metal boxes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JBP posted:

I would be surprised if bigly tanks were to wholesale replace the main line SM ones but who knows at this point. I guess if you have the money and like the model buy it. A bigger version of it or whatever isn't going to dampen your enjoyment of the current model. Hell I bought one of the last Thunderhawks to roll off the line and was like poo poo, but I like it better than the new version.

I agree with you - I think any new Primaris tanks will be new designs, like the grav tank that's coming up. It would be silly of GW to have two versions of a Landraider, a Rhino, and a Predator on the shelves, let alone store owners wanting that much space taken up by a slightly larger version of the same model. I could see variations of existing tanks, but not wholesale upscaling.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Long term I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's going to happen. E: To clarify, I'm sure it won't be actual replacements but something similar that will fill the same role.
The bigger issue for me is that from what I've seen I'm going to like how the new stuff looks a lot more than the old. I know the Repulsor isn't everyone's favorite but I seriously dig the hover-bradley look.

JBP posted:

Yep. I always favour jump assault troops over transport reliant ones because you can rock up very suddenly and a change in the game doesn't leave you out to dry, you just zip off and do/punch something else. There are downsides of course but I have a movement focussed brain in every kind of game I play and I like being able to stunt when it's called for rather than being risk averse and trundling about in a fuckload of metal boxes.

What's going to be interesting in the long term is the fact that jump infantry get the fly keyword, meaning that something like a Hydra is suddenly a notable threat. Very curious to see how the new meta shakes out.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah I discounted Hydras initially but the +1 to hit against anything with FLY is way more interesting now that that's how jump troops and such get around the place.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

e: Basically, I'm saying I think the Storm Raven is a better choice

Definitely not discounting mobility, it's why it's still a hard choice for me.

The stormraven by itself is objectively better than the crusader because of the mobility. But using the crusader lets me field a 14 inch speed sicaran with 14 wounds that will gently caress up anything. It's specialized for anti-vehicle, but an S12 cannon still wounds MCs on a 2+. Against tyranids it's an easy choice because 14 inches that can't fly doesn't mean a lot when the opponent's army literally stretches from one end of the table to the other, but against CSM or somethng there's going to be room to maneuver.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 20, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DiHK posted:

:allears:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

Yeah I discounted Hydras initially but the +1 to hit against anything with FLY is way more interesting now that that's how jump troops and such get around the place.

One of my favorite things about 8th edition is the FLY keyword and how models interact with units that have it. From getting bonuses against jump/jet infantry to allowing them to assault flyers, the changes have been nothing but positive

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' my finished LT.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished a Lieutenant. Still need to base them, but i'll do all that later. Sorry for the phone pics!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

One of my favorite things about 8th edition is the FLY keyword and how models interact with units that have it. From getting bonuses against jump/jet infantry to allowing them to assault flyers, the changes have been nothing but positive

I agree. I wish flakk missiles were still a thing though. But with 25 point missile launchers I guess I don't need them being even more expensive.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Had my first 8th game last night, and it was great. A buddy wanted to have shenanigans and had 5 ork flyers, so he had them and two def dreads. I brought Tau and it was 9 crisis suits with flamers, 2 squads of stealth suits, a commander, and kroot hounds.

Highlights included tau charging every turn while orks never did and shooting 27 flamers at a single model. (And figuring out how to roll a 104 die to-wound roll all at once.) I got my butt kicked in the end, but it was the most fun the game's been in a long time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

gently caress this and gently caress removal of JSJ.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ijyt posted:

F'uck T'au, imo

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

F'uck T'au, imo

Not empty quoting

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

I agree. I wish flakk missiles were still a thing though. But with 25 point missile launchers I guess I don't need them being even more expensive.

I guess, though Flakk missiles were only necessary when hitting flyers was otherwise impossible and even then they weren't worth taking most of the time because S7 AP4 against flyers was garbage. If they did put them in this edition, they could give them a +1 to hit models with FLY but you'd rarely take them over Krak missiles even then.

ijyt posted:

nobody misses that dumb poo poo hth

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

I guess, though Flakk missiles were only necessary when hitting flyers was otherwise impossible and even then they weren't worth taking most of the time because S7 AP4 against flyers was garbage. If they did put them in this edition, they could give them a +1 to hit models with FLY but you'd rarely take them over Krak missiles even then.

nobody misses that dumb poo poo hth

It was the defining trait of Tau, which are now knock off, sub par Guard.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

ijyt posted:

Crisis suits traded JSJ for +1T and +1W that doesn't seem so bad.

JSJ was annoying bullshit that made me not want to play against tau. Not annoying in a "this is powerful" way, annoying in a "this is actively unfun to experience" way.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I found my old metal Red Terror in pieces in my bitz box, with a terrible paintjob I did when I was about 12. So I stripped it, rebuilt it and now done in my current 'Nid scheme:

Not so red, so I guess he's the Blue Horror or the Cyan Abomination or something now. He looks pretty wimpy next to his big sister nowadays:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ijyt posted:

Haha what the gently caress...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Crisis suits traded JSJ for +1T and +1W that doesn't seem so bad.

JSJ was annoying bullshit that made me not want to play against tau. Not annoying in a "this is powerful" way, annoying in a "this is actively unfun to experience" way.

You've actually played this game?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The scheme looks great, but every time I look at the Red Terror's face I imagine it saying "Feed me, Seymour". This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JBP posted:

Haha what the gently caress...

I know right, lets overcost a bunch of poo poo and nerf the unique aspects of an army because people can only spam 5 riptides. Lol if I'm ever taking out that one riptide I own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The most unique aspect of my army is it's lovely 7th edition rules everyone is glad are dead and gone.