Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ChocNitty posted:

Torn between occulus rift and playstation vr.

Its a tough choice for me because I have no PC and not even a monitor. I would have to spend $1,500 for the tower, monitor, occulus, and sales tax.

Or just $500 for the playstation VR, or $350-$400 for a used one off craigslist.

Is the technical superiority of the occulus worth $1,100.

Watching a youtube vid of a guy playing Robo Recall and it looks sweet.

If you are planning on using the PC for gaming, get the PC and the Rift.

If it's just VR you are interested in, PSVR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Speaking of climbing games, has anyone tried To the Top?

Yes. It's great. if you like Climbey it is 100% a pick up. It's similar but different enough to make both worth playing. The climbing is much more abstracted than climbey, with the ability to warp yourself to handholds and easily do flick and fly moves. It's kind of like the mirrors edge to climbeys assassins creed, but that's not really a perfect comparison as climbey is much more technical and fiddly wheras TTT is very easy to chain huge jumps and combo sequences. The levels are a good size with some cool stuff like walls that fling you in a direction etc, and there's a lot of replayability with gem challenges (like the coins in the new mario platformers). Music is pretty good for generic indie electro stuff.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I've been playing Doom 3 BFG in VR and holy poo poo, what an amazing experience.

More than anything, it feels like the game was made for VR, which is a really weird thing to say given that it came out in 2003.

Peeking around dark corners, frantically swinging the torch in your left hand around the pitch blackness, only to find a zombie creeping up behind you and blowing his face away with the shotgun in your your right hand feels like it was deliberately designed that way. All the computer / touchscreen interfaces in the game are rendered live in the 3D world, and you can actually use your hands to control them. You can even pull out your little PDA out from your hip, and listen to audio logs and messages by touching the appropriate buttons. The sound design is incredible too - you can hear monsters crawling in the walls, zombies breathing and everything just has this horrible feeling of dread.

The guys put in a ton of configurable VR comfort options too that work surprisingly well for a first person shooter. I've been playing it for hours with no sign of any sickness. It's funny, the narrow corridors and monster closets that the game was much maligned for back at release actually make for a great VR shooter.

My only issue with it, is the same one I had in 2003. The guns sound terrible, and there never really feels like there's any 'impact' when you're shooting at anything.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ChocNitty posted:

Its a tough choice for me because I have no PC and not even a monitor. I would have to spend $1,500 for the tower, monitor, occulus, and sales tax.

Or just $500 for the playstation VR, or $350-$400 for a used one off craigslist.

Personally I think its worth it, just because you'd then have a PC to use for games and stuff beyond just a VR system. Also the capabilities are going to be a lot more and the touch controllers are leaps and bounds better than the like 10 year old ps move wands. I think the PSVR is great, but you can't even turn around really with it, and I've seen people having problems just extending their arms out to the side too far. On the other hand, PSVR is going to get a lot of stuff before it comes to the PC, though I suppose you could also say a lot of stuff will never come to the PSVR like robo recall, onward, from other suns, lone echo, doom VFR, fallout 4.. maybe. Still, any big established franchise stuff, ace combat, resident evil, star wars battlefront, etc are going to start there if they can.

I don't know, you can make a case for either easily, but I suppose I'll put it this way, if money isn't the issue, your PC route is much better. I know I wouldn't want to trade my PC/oculus for a PS4/PSVR if someone was going to give me the difference in value.

Edit: Actually, if you're ok with building a PC, you could even put together a capable one for https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9kPCWX 532.00 including the monitor, add 600 for the oculus/touch, another 50 for a 3rd camera if you want a large area to track and you'd be able to put it together for about 1200. Though I have seen a deal at best buy for a package, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/oculus-...999283900050000 $1000.00 for the oculus/pc. Add a monitor for 150, touch for 100, 3rd sensor and you're still at about 1300.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 20, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FWIW I've been really happy with PSVR. It's a good piece of hardware with pretty decent software support so far.

The main drawbacks are that you are locked out of user created stuff/mods or whatever and while the move controllers are serviceable but they are a long way from what I would call good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ChocNitty posted:

If you want to play Robo Recall at its best and other amazing mods and standalone games, get a Vive. If you want to play cockpit games and have the best experience that way, get the Oculus. If you want to use the comfiest headset with the best screen and play some loving kickass (just don't bother with Move really, get Aim) games, get PSVR.

But if you actually don't have a PC, just get PSVR. PCs can be a hassle and take maintenance, especially with VR. You'll just go straight to the "having fun" part with PSVR.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 20, 2017

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Huh, thats pretty cool. I think my example looks better in videos though than in person (or er, in vr i guess), as all the imperfections really stand out and are visible. Still, I might have to look into that even though I'm a pretty rank amateur, thanks.

Without sounding hyperbolic everyone right now is either a rank amateur, a complete bullshit artist or so flooded with work that they can't consider new work. Your work proves your fully capable on the level of the best out there who are taking work. Right now there are no experts in VR since it's all too new. If you have interest there is a hunger for VR recreation/archvis for brands but no established pipeline. I'd bet there is a crazy demand among people making 500K+ condos to have something to show sales clients.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Isometric Bacon posted:

I've been playing Doom 3 BFG in VR and holy poo poo, what an amazing experience.

More than anything, it feels like the game was made for VR, which is a really weird thing to say given that it came out in 2003.

Peeking around dark corners, frantically swinging the torch in your left hand around the pitch blackness, only to find a zombie creeping up behind you and blowing his face away with the shotgun in your your right hand feels like it was deliberately designed that way. All the computer / touchscreen interfaces in the game are rendered live in the 3D world, and you can actually use your hands to control them. You can even pull out your little PDA out from your hip, and listen to audio logs and messages by touching the appropriate buttons. The sound design is incredible too - you can hear monsters crawling in the walls, zombies breathing and everything just has this horrible feeling of dread.

The guys put in a ton of configurable VR comfort options too that work surprisingly well for a first person shooter. I've been playing it for hours with no sign of any sickness. It's funny, the narrow corridors and monster closets that the game was much maligned for back at release actually make for a great VR shooter.

My only issue with it, is the same one I had in 2003. The guns sound terrible, and there never really feels like there's any 'impact' when you're shooting at anything.

You using any graphical texture pack? I wanna find a goon approved one that I know won't gently caress up before I start.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If you want to play Robo Recall at its best and other amazing mods and standalone games, get a Vive.
I don't really get this statement. Rift works just as well as a Vive and can play every game it does while being more comfortable. Only edge Vive has is if you want to use a play area above like 10 foot x 10 foot.

Oculus has a nice $200 price advantage too. Well really $140 since you need to buy a third sensor for $60. But if you factor in that it comes with a free Xbox one controller and PC adapter that's worth $60-80 it brings it back to $200.

Don't get me wrong though. Vive is a nice product with technically better tracking tech. But the Oculus hardware just feels so slick and "Apple Like" which is what made me choose even though they were the same price when I bought them (Technically Oculus was more because it was $800 plus a third sensor so I basically spent $900 on my Rift). The feel of the hardware just sold me.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 20, 2017

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

I don't really get this statement. Rift works just as well as a Vive and can play every game it does while being more comfortable. Only edge Vive has is if you want to use a play area above like 10 foot x 10 foot.

And Rift is cheaper even if you shell out for a third sensor.

Especially so since you don't have to buy the headset audio adapter thingy for the Vive.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I even have a VR-ready PC and I chose PSVR and I've been happy with it.

Agreed it's a shame about the Move controller tracking though, the Aim controller is a different experience.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

D1E posted:

And Rift is cheaper even if you shell out for a third sensor.

Especially so since you don't have to buy the headset audio adapter thingy for the Vive.

It just feels good man. Way better polish on the hardware.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's totally inexplicable that Sony hasn't rushed out a Move 2.0 with upgraded sensors, the tech obviously exists.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

But the Oculus hardware just feels so slick and "Apple Like" which is what made me choose

Yeah but Apple decided to choose the Vive not the Oculus.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

What is the movement like in Doom 3 VR? Does it have short range teleport or is it all slide-around locomotion?

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Gahhhhhhh I'm so frustrated about Doom 3 BFG not working on my computer. I've tried everything to get that game to launch with/without mods.

I had tried an old mod that had bad comfort options, but the new one everyone is using sound much better. But now that when I try this one it just launches/crashes immediately with no errors.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Glagha posted:

What is the movement like in Doom 3 VR? Does it have short range teleport or is it all slide-around locomotion?

Teleport, temporary 3rd person camera, standard stick movement with or without FOV restriction. It really covers all the bases.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

InevitableCheese posted:

Gahhhhhhh I'm so frustrated about Doom 3 BFG not working on my computer. I've tried everything to get that game to launch with/without mods.

I had tried an old mod that had bad comfort options, but the new one everyone is using sound much better. But now that when I try this one it just launches/crashes immediately with no errors.
Go into base and delete the entire 'generated' directory.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

Oculus has a nice $200 price advantage too. Well really $140 since you need to buy a third sensor for $60. But if you factor in that it comes with a free Xbox one controller and PC adapter that's worth $60-80 it brings it back to $200.

Don't get me wrong though. Vive is a nice product with technically better tracking tech. But the Oculus hardware just feels so slick and "Apple Like" which is what made me choose even though they were the same price when I bought them (Technically Oculus was more because it was $800 plus a third sensor so I basically spent $900 on my Rift). The feel of the hardware just sold me.

Better tracking, better aids (I like Chaperone more than Guardian, plus its more customisable via Advanced Settings), Deluxe Audio Strap is amazing, less USBs needed, less sodding cameras needed, greater range of usability, better and more customisable backend (Steam VR home and workshop tools), higher FoV. The only advantages other than price Oculus has is the comfort of the base headset and the brilliance of Oculus Touch.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I dunno my Rift and touch seems pretty sweet. Three cameras vs two lighthouses wasn't really a deal breaker. Not having to buy a deluxe audio strap was nice too.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

I dunno my Rift and touch seems pretty sweet. Three cameras vs two lighthouses wasn't really a deal breaker. Not having to buy a deluxe audio strap was nice too.

I'm not saying they aren't, they are. VR is pretty sweet. The hardware is good. You have to use more USBs, have to place down another camera which can both be major inconveniences.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Also the fact that you don't have to plug the lighthouses into your computer is a big thing that I don't think many people realize. You do have to connect the rift cameras to your PC, right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Also the fact that you don't have to plug the lighthouses into your computer is a big thing that I don't think many people realize. You do have to connect the rift cameras to your PC, right?

Yeah, the Rift cameras are active sensors that send the computer data, lighthouses are static reference points for sensors on the devices.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Better tracking, better aids (I like Chaperone more than Guardian, plus its more customisable via Advanced Settings), Deluxe Audio Strap is amazing, less USBs needed, less sodding cameras needed, greater range of usability, better and more customisable backend (Steam VR home and workshop tools), higher FoV. The only advantages other than price Oculus has is the comfort of the base headset and the brilliance of Oculus Touch.

Rift is a SteamVR headset too. Plus it has better optics, effective and angular resolution, ASW for the moment, and a pretty light frontbox. I mean I can't change any HMD owner's mind but for someone looking into getting into the pc VR space the Vive's value proposition for 800$+ is wack. Wait for LG if you hate facebook.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fooz posted:

Rift is a SteamVR headset too. Plus it has better optics, effective and angular resolution, ASW for the moment, and a pretty light frontbox. I mean I can't change any HMD owner's mind but for someone looking into getting into the pc VR space the Vive's value proposition for 800$+ is wack.

I have to disagree on the optics. Having used both, the little bit of extra FoV is noticeable. The difference in displays is small compared to the difference between Rift/Vive to PSVR with PSVR way on top. Rift is pretty drat light though, I'll give you that.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

I have to disagree on the optics. Having used both, the little bit of extra FoV is noticeable. The difference in displays is small compared to the difference between Rift/Vive to PSVR with PSVR way on top. Rift is pretty drat light though, I'll give you that.

I think this just goes to show that it's important to try them. For me when I tried the Vive, I didn't really notice the extra FOV but the extra SDE was noticeable :shrug:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I think the FOV and especially the brightness of the vive offer a neat "wow!" impression and sense of place, but the sweet spot size/resolution/SDE grinds my gears when trying to focus on anything. Aside from the sweet spot I can see why someone would be on either side of that fence.

I think Oculus made some FOV sacrifice to get the angular resoultion where it's at (it also has a greater rate of panel utilization), hopefully it will be less of a trade to push FOV with better panels. The sweet spot is related to fresnel density as far as I know, Rift's god rays are 100% worth it for that range of clarity. I'm convinced the Vive's lenses were just easier to manufacture/easier to get with their wide ridges and circular shape. Every HMD should have a brightness-pushing power source like vive though, that is just a great feature.

Ideally I'd want to see bigger rift lenses against a higher res screen with vive's high brightness (or greater). Iribe mentioned at GDC that they were trying to get lens manufacturers to push their tech roadmaps up, which is sort of the ultimate tech bottleneck at the moment.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
So I have a PC that I think can drive VR (relatively new, i7-6700, 32 gb RAM, 1070 card). What headset should I buy?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So I have a PC that I think can drive VR (relatively new, i7-6700, 32 gb RAM, 1070 card). What headset should I buy?

How many USB ports do you have, can you wire cameras across your entire room/alternatively do you have power outlets at each corner of the room, how much space do you have, what are your intended experiences, what is your budget.

Seriously, the VR headsets are exceedingly prohibitive in different ways for set up. I'm somewhat biased towards the Vive, but that's because I have plugs on each side of this room while I do not have enough USB ports. If it was the other way round, I'd be using a Rift right now. In actual running, they're exceedingly similar with small differences which are almost entirely personal preference. Why can't we all just have headsets as good as PSVR's with the tracking quality of the Vive and Oculus Touch controllers, with options as to Lighthouse (Vive - access to power outlets, greater max range) vs Rift Cameras (USB USB USB, recommended 3.0s but still work with 2.0)

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 20, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's expensive enough that you should try out both and get whichever one you end up liking better, they're close enough that the differences are very subjective in how much they'll matter to you

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

A Rift because it's $200 cheaper, works for both Oculus exclusives and anything on Steam, and both the hardware and software are a lot nicer to use than anything Valve has ever done.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 20, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah just try both. I went with Vive initially because I dislike Facebook as a business but ended up liking that I went that way because my set up would not work with Oculus in the way the sensors require being connected to the computer.

You have people talking about mirrors being an issue with the Vive while people can have issues with USB controllers with the Oculus. Outside of the room scale tracking it's all subjective. Some like Vive's controllers more, some like Oculus' headset more. Try both and see which opitics you like best!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Also, whatever you buy is gonna be obsolete in 2 or 3 years anyway, so you're not making a decision you gotta live with for too long ;)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

veni veni veni posted:

FWIW I've been really happy with PSVR. It's a good piece of hardware with pretty decent software support so far.

The main drawbacks are that you are locked out of user created stuff/mods or whatever and while the move controllers are serviceable but they are a long way from what I would call good.

Its really impressive what they managed to squeeze out of the PS4, but, man I don't know why they didn't create a new controller/camera system. I mean I guess they wanted to get it as cheap as possible and move old stock but, the lack of any thumbstick/trackpad alone really hampers a lot of potential cross compatibility with PC vr stuff, as well as just locomotion options in general.

Stick100 posted:

Without sounding hyperbolic everyone right now is either a rank amateur, a complete bullshit artist or so flooded with work that they can't consider new work. Your work proves your fully capable on the level of the best out there who are taking work. Right now there are no experts in VR since it's all too new. If you have interest there is a hunger for VR recreation/archvis for brands but no established pipeline. I'd bet there is a crazy demand among people making 500K+ condos to have something to show sales clients.

I appreciate the kind words, I guess it really gives me some food for thought.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

GhostDog posted:

Also, whatever you buy is gonna be obsolete in 2 or 3 years anyway, so you're not making a decision you gotta live with for too long ;)

This is a very good point.

If I have to trade my Rift in for Super Vive 2 next year I don't really care. If you can't budget for that then wait on VR.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wonder if either valve or facebook consider VR to be a commercial success at this point, or if it's still negative on their balance sheet and filed under research and development.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

This is a very good point.

If I have to trade my Rift in for Super Vive 2 next year I don't really care. If you can't budget for that then wait on VR.

I'm gonna buy too fuckin many of these hmds.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bhodi posted:

I wonder if either valve or facebook consider VR to be a commercial success at this point, or if it's still negative on their balance sheet and filed under research and development.

It's gotta be insanely way negative. I'm sure they're taking the long view though, once it takes off hoo boy it's going to take off.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

If you are planning on using the PC for gaming, get the PC and the Rift.

If it's just VR you are interested in, PSVR.

I'm an Oculus guy but if you can get a PSVR already used, then you could sell it later without too much depreciation if you get tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I hope some standards develop where you can keep your controllers and tracking devices and just replace the headsets.

On another topic, I've been looking into what a pc upgrade for me would look like and from what I gather there's some movement in the CPU market and the advice is too wait. Would uprading my 970 to a 1080 be worth it if I pair it with my i7 2600k for the time being? I figure since it's mostly about resolution (base&supersampling) most VR games will still benefit a lot.