Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Having a spine is generally BWM anyway, so maybe it all evens out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

People who get sick and can't pay for it annoy the poo poo out of you?

Putting the medical debt on credit cards was the BWM piece of that, not racking up the medical debt in the first place.

Also arguably having a kid outside of a stable relationship - statistically one of the most BWM things you can do.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 20, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Bad With Spine if you sleep in one overnight, in my experience.

I'm told there's a trick to it. Supposedly you can do it indefinitely with no pain if, instead of resting on the "line" of the hammock, you kinda twist sideways a bit so your back is resting straight and flat across it. Like, make a thin X with your body and the hammock.

Then buy one with an integrated mosquito net and rain fly for $300 and live in it. :twisted:

(Offer valid only below the frost-line)

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

potatoducks posted:

Slipping this in while Tiny Brontosaurus is still on probation. Nice move.

That's why it's been so nice in here lately!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm told there's a trick to it. Supposedly you can do it indefinitely with no pain if, instead of resting on the "line" of the hammock, you kinda twist sideways a bit so your back is resting straight and flat across it. Like, make a thin X with your body and the hammock.

yeah this is like hammocks 101 lol

i bought a parachute material hammock years ago and use it exclusively to sleep when camping and it's just a billion times more comfortable than tents. gently caress tents.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Also arguably having a kid outside of a stable relationship - statistically one of the most BWN things you can do.

:yikes:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Yup, not touching that one further than that. Down that road leads eugenics.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Reddit re-post lists a litany of lovely decisions, some perhaps combined with bad circumstances, and we're bringing up eugenics. Tiny B. might as well be off probation.

Any one or two of the circumstances that post outlined could easily be the result of just life throwing poo poo in the way. All of them together though?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Having a kid is BWM period, but especially so for someone who is single and not financially independent. Not to mention all the other financial issues she has.

It's not eugenics to say that it is BWM. Unless you think all the people who own horses or drop out of medical school need to be exterminated.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well....

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GWM: This hammock for camping.

https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Wil...nclosed+hammock

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know profit-and-loss-sharing arrangements exist, are there similar things for large purchases like houses or as demi-investment vehicles? I'm not super familiar with Islamic financial tradition beyond having sat through a single seminar that mentioned the existence of workarounds one time a few years back.

There are a few companies that cater specifically to religious people in the islamic community. How these loans work and still stay "halal" is a mystery to me. From what I remember/understood, it is in the fine print. Religiously, the issue is usury (super high interest rates) and associated risk but not the loan itself. So what these companies do is something like write an agreement where you are paying rent (interest) + loan repayment to the "interest free" loan. Or something very similar along those lines: you aren't paying interest, you are paying us management fees or rent or etc etc.

There is one company I know of called MCCA that my parents used. I was reading their product sheets and was very confused to see terms such as "variable rate" and "fixed rate" which classic interest loan terms. At the time, my parents variable rate was 12% (insane!). The other big banks were around 8%. My father was livid when the reserve bank would drop interest rates but MCCA wouldn't budge from 12%. So he changed banks, got a normal mortgage and paid the house off (with our help, another story) off in about 10 years instead of never.

My father is generally BWM and BWReligion but this one time he was GWM.

P.S For a more recent comparison: ~MCCA 4.7% other banks: ~3.7%. It's even funnier when you read into it and they utilise loans from unknown sources, acting as an intermediary.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 20, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I feel as if my life could be so much more.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's on third.

Oh, the hammock district!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Less of this:

potatoducks posted:

Slipping this in while Tiny Brontosaurus is still on probation. Nice move.

DJCobol posted:

That's why it's been so nice in here lately!

More of this:

Residency Evil posted:

e: I would love to see some sort of breakdown on how many racehorse owners are net positive vs net negative over the course of their hobby. I'm sure the negatives outweigh the positives, but by how much?

vvvvvv lol

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 20, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

Less of this:

More of this:

e: I would love to see some sort of breakdown on how many racehorse owners are net positive vs net negative over the course of their hobby. I'm sure the neighgatives outweigh the positives, but by how much?

Come on. At least put forth the effort.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Almost no windows, harder to see bees and die.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

e: I would love to see some sort of breakdown on how many racehorse owners are net positive vs net negative over the course of their hobby. I'm sure the negatives outweigh the positives, but by how much?
IMO the whole system is probably in the positives but probably because of a few individuals that are whoring out their animals for breeding. It's similar to MLMs I guess, a few are making a killing while the rest look up and pray they can get lucky. But there are some numbers from Australia:

https://cuffelinks.com.au/economic-reality-breeding-owning-racehorses/

quote:

In 2013/14, of the 30,000 race starters:

4,200 did not earn any prize money
15,000 earned $1,000 to $10,000
10,200 earned $10,000 to $100,000
700 earned $100,000 to $500,000
50 earned greater than $500,000.

The whole article is fascinating and goes into further detail about post-racing profits of horses (breeding). Steady money seems to be in breeding, especially studs:

quote:

Once the stallion’s progeny start racing, fees will quickly skew materially as results start to flow, to upwards of $100,000 or drift back to $10,000 to $20,000 as experience and new sexier entrants emerge. With 150 to 220 matings possible in a domestic season and a possible northern hemisphere season as well, a successful stallion’s career can extend until they are over 20 years old, and be highly profitable to the owners.
Holy poo poo.

Source of all data is from here: http://www.racingaustralia.horse/Aboutus/factBook.aspx

I can't believe the breeding of animals for the sole purpose of beating them repeated for 2 minute stretches once in a while for the enjoyment of others is so insane and expensive. I don't mean that sarcastically, all of this to ride them senseless. insanity.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

GWM and GWL is a hammock

I've always wondered, how do you set one up indoors without it looking juvenile?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Low lighting and some candelabras

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
They said without it looking juvenile

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Low lighting and some candelabras
Dog, ain't no hammocks in Castlevania.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Triple Crown participants aren't necessarily representative of everyone that owns a commercial racing horse, but during the races this year they mentioned that all the horses are financial losses unless they win one of the crown races and can recoup the investment through stud fees and prize/promotion money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Weatherman posted:

They said without it looking juvenile

Glue a mustache on it and tuck a variable annuity prospectus under the pillow.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doesn't say how much it cost, but you know it wasn't cheap.

http://www.sadanduseless.com/2017/06/horse-suit/

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

I've always wondered, how do you set one up indoors without it looking juvenile?

http://i.imgur.com/e3hav4I.gifv

/e- I just have a stand I move from the patio to indoors.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You could try slinging 200 of them side by side belowdecks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Putting the medical debt on credit cards was the BWM piece of that, not racking up the medical debt in the first place.

Serious question: where else would you put it, if it happened at once and you presumably have terrible credit and make $40k a year? Like I legitimately am not aware of other options that could sink a ton of money in a short period of time.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Leave it as an unpaid medical bill which can generally be negotiated down substantially and doesn't accumulate rapacious penalty interest, fees like unpaid credit card bills, and rarely results in a lawsuit

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, if you have to go to the ER or get a procedure done, they generally don't demand payment in advance, just that you sign something confirming you are responsible for the costs. Then you end up with thousands of dollars in debt directly with the hospital - they'll send you a bill, you call them and say you cannot pay it, and usually they'll negotiate it down or give you some sort of payment plan. Often these plans don't even include any interest on the amount as long as you making payments, because hospitals and other medical offices know are usually glad you are actually trying to pay them and not just declaring bankruptcy/dodging them/dying instead.

This being America I would not be surprised if there are places that want you to pay up front for non-emergency procedures, and in that case I don't know what you would do to manage it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

This being America I would not be surprised if there are places that want you to pay up front for non-emergency procedures, and in that case I don't know what you would do to manage it.

This being America, not get them and just buy drugs instead.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Obviously we don't know all the circumstances behind the 70k being "mostly" medical debt - could be bullshit (medical debt being one of the few sympathetic types of debt) could be completely legit because someone got cancer, etc. However it's not all that common to have that much debt related to non-elective medical costs on a CC. Even with the US's jacked up healthcare system, which is even more jacked for poor people, that isn't easy to do.

No emergency room will demand payment up front, in fact they are legally barred from doing so, and if you are making under 40k and/or have lovely/no health insurance the emergency room is where you go whether it is a true emergency or not when you are sick.

I'm not saying that is a great state of affairs either but it means "I have 70k on my credit cards because I/someone I care for got really sick and there was no other way to pay for it" should be viewed with a grain of salt. Medical debt is no fun to deal with but it's a shitload easier than dealing with CC debt which is what this now is, if taken at face value.

My main point was, and is, that there are a lot of people who let life happen to them who tend to pile up all kinds of different debt badly. People can get sick through no fault of their own, and relationships can go bad when kids enter the picture, and bets on schooling/loans can fail to pan out, and houses can end up underwater, etc. etc. but when they all spiral together then at some point you need to take a look at the person in the center of it and wonder if some better judgement is in order.

Edit: It seems some emergency rooms do charge an upfront fee ($150+) if, after a federally mandated screening, it is determined to not be an emergency. Such as if you go the ER when you have the sniffles.

70k suggests something more serious than that but wanted to correct myself regardless. Still doesn't make sense - even for non-emergencies most hospitals and medical centers will allow you to set up a payment plan that is usually low and carries little to no interest, even more so when it's a real problem. There are exceptions (some Dentists, etc.) but it's not hard to do.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 20, 2017

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ashcans posted:

I *heard* that if you lose a few fingers while working on your home, they may refuse to re-attach them unless you pay first. Since it is non-life threatening. If this is accurate, I would rather charge it off to my CC than the alternative.

Of course, they are still responsible for their situation since being sick is an inevitable part of life, but it is too late to repent by the time you are at the ER with your fingers in a bag of ice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn't say how much it cost, but you know it wasn't cheap.

http://www.sadanduseless.com/2017/06/horse-suit/

That's 20 yards of fabric, and wool Tweed for suits starts at about $25/yard, so you're looking at $500 in materials alone. The whole thing probably cost easily 10-20x that

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you can manage to leave the hospital with just a bankruptcy and skip the opioid addiction and mrsa you're doing better than like 90% of people in America. Results don't matter, YOU NEED HEALTHCARE

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Ashcans posted:

As far as I know, most places demand payment up front for non emergent procedures (not counting like, doctor's visits and such which rarely get bankruptcy level expensive) if you're paying out of pocket with no insurance.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Yea, if you have to go to the ER or get a procedure done, they generally don't demand payment in advance, just that you sign something confirming you are responsible for the costs. Then you end up with thousands of dollars in debt directly with the hospital - they'll send you a bill, you call them and say you cannot pay it, and usually they'll negotiate it down or give you some sort of payment plan. Often these plans don't even include any interest on the amount as long as you making payments, because hospitals and other medical offices know are usually glad you are actually trying to pay them and not just declaring bankruptcy/dodging them/dying instead.

I legit was not aware of how medical debt worked, like I knew hospitals would do this but I kinda figured it was as a last resort if holding them upside down and shaking them until all their change fell out didn't cover it enough. Thanks!

Ashcans posted:

I know at least my primary care doctor and all the labs I've had done require payment up front yeah

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
They aren't allowed to turn you away from the emergency room, even for non-emergencies.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm curious if that'll change with the AHCA or w/e it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Some for-profit hospitals - HCA being the largest, in the US - charge an upfront fee if after federally mandated screening it is determined to not be an emergency. It's usually $150-350.

The bigger picture here remains that using a CC for medical bills is BWM, because even the least-well off patients can work out far better terms with medical providers. Would they be overjoyed if you just paid them off with a CC? No doubt, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Medical debt is bad enough to deal with but out of most types of debt it's also usually the easiest. Medical debt rolled to CC debt is fueling a fire.