Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Changes to the NCEPT and PPT are coming today. Some pretty major changes to training times, which will change percentages significantly in some cases. Expect an announcement at 3pm eastern from the national office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

TangoFox posted:

Changes to the NCEPT and PPT are coming today. Some pretty major changes to training times, which will change percentages significantly in some cases. Expect an announcement at 3pm eastern from the national office.

I'm currently about to try and ERR so this will be of interest to me. What's the best place to find the results? NATCA website?

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
They sent the email out, but the PPT will be on the website when they release it.

They say they will be in the June 28 PPT release.

Also, if your level 6 tower has a 40% pass rate, gently caress off. N90s is 33%, that's a reflection of their ojt.

TangoFox fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 21, 2017

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

TangoFox posted:

They sent the email out, but the PPT will be on the website when they release it.

They say they will be in the June 28 PPT release.

Also, if your level 6 tower has a 40% pass rate, gently caress off. N90s is 33%, that's a reflection of their ojt.

RVS had a 60% wash rate. It is a level 7 tower. That place points out every single flaw in how the FAA rates facilities in the book. The overwhelming majority of the ops there are Chinese student pilots. It has volume, but who needs volume when you have students who can't even enunciate eating up your freqs?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tommy 2.0 posted:

RVS had a 60% wash rate. It is a level 7 tower. That place points out every single flaw in how the FAA rates facilities in the book. The overwhelming majority of the ops there are Chinese student pilots. It has volume, but who needs volume when you have students who can't even enunciate eating up your freqs?

Couldn't you say the same thing about any general aviation airport? Certainly is true for all the ones I've been to.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Couldn't you say the same thing about any general aviation airport? Certainly is true for all the ones I've been to.

quote:

Jones Airport is one of the busiest in the United States. In 2005, it had 347,000 operations, enough to rank it fourth among general aviation (GA) airports and thirtieth among all airports, according to a 2007 FAA report. It also was the busiest in Oklahoma, outranking both Will Rogers World Airport and Tulsa International.

Lazy Edit:

Tommy 2.0 posted:

That place points out every single flaw in how the FAA rates facilities in the book.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 21, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's also just a VFR tower. We've had two transfers from there. Both struggled, one washed out and returned. The other is an FLM now.

The one that's an FLM went through D and R side classes with me. He's why I find it insane that they don't send tower to center transfers to OKC for training. He was so far behind right from the start. "Uh, what's a pointout?" kind of issues.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

It's also just a VFR tower.

I'm not saying it's Potomac TRACON, but the system breaks down bad on edge cases like this one. It's a tough problem especially for fields like that, because all it takes is the local pilot mill losing their Air China contract, and the volume goes away, overnight. Similarly, VRB and FPR are seeing traffic turndowns (from an ATC point of view,) because PBI approach assumed their airspace from us, and immediately stopped allowing practice approaches at both fields, which is a loving cop out and a half, since it's most of the loving reason we gave them the airspace in the first place.

fknlo posted:

We've had two transfers from there. Both struggled, one washed out and returned. The other is an FLM now.

The one that's an FLM went through D and R side classes with me. He's why I find it insane that they don't send tower to center transfers to OKC for training. He was so far behind right from the start. "Uh, what's a pointout?" kind of issues.

Agreed. If you get sent to a different type of facility, even a pass/pass academy class would be incredibly helpful.

Ask Me About Air Traffic Control: One washed out and is an FLM now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I'm not saying it's Potomac TRACON, but the system breaks down bad on edge cases like this one. It's a tough problem especially for fields like that, because all it takes is the local pilot mill losing their Air China contract, and the volume goes away, overnight. Similarly, VRB and FPR are seeing traffic turndowns (from an ATC point of view,) because PBI approach assumed their airspace from us, and immediately stopped allowing practice approaches at both fields, which is a loving cop out and a half, since it's most of the loving reason we gave them the airspace in the first place.

I wasn't saying that to try and knock what they do down a peg. It's impressive that they do what they do as only a VFR tower. I still call it the Jim Bob Jones airport around the guy that made it and is a sup now.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 21, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Lazy Edit:

I meant mainly in terms of the Chinese students, but your point is taken. I fly out of one of the busiest GA airports in Canada (under half of what RVS handles, but without being able to use two runways at once) and both volume and poor English are significant issues there as well.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Students have the option to go back to the academy when they change from tower to center. Some do, some opt out.

Turning pilots in for a lack of command of the English language seems like a fun discussion to have with the FSDO

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

TangoFox posted:

Students have the option to go back to the academy when they change from tower to center. Some do, some opt out.

Turning pilots in for a lack of command of the English language seems like a fun discussion to have with the FSDO

The discussion came more with the instructor pilots more so for them not taking control of the radios after strike three.

"Dippitydodahdipshit, right closed traffic approved rwy bananas for fullstop."

"Tower, we are looking for RWY heading to go to SLAPPITYDO reporting point, straight-in, low approach."

"Dippitydodahsipshit, *heavy sigh on frequency* ...no. Call the tower after you park. You know the number by now."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

July 7, expected job posting on USAJobs.

https://www.facebook.com/patricia.gilbert.18/posts/10213129021327219

loving Facebook links...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I told myself I was never coming back to Oklahoma, and yet because of this poo poo:

KDFW 241243Z 33009KT 2SM R17C/5000VP6000FT +TSRA BR BKN018 BKN030CB OVC085 22/22 A3010 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT ALQDS OCNL LTGICCC ALQDS TS ALQDS MOV SE P0212 T02170217

...Here I am. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

:(

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I told myself I was never coming back to Oklahoma, and yet because of this poo poo:

KDFW 241243Z 33009KT 2SM R17C/5000VP6000FT +TSRA BR BKN018 BKN030CB OVC085 22/22 A3010 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT ALQDS OCNL LTGICCC ALQDS TS ALQDS MOV SE P0212 T02170217

...Here I am. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

:(

And yet there are still dipshits trying to fly VFR in that poo poo.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Tommy 2.0 posted:

And yet there are still dipshits trying to fly VFR in that poo poo.

Well, I mean, I just have to stay clear of the clouds and it looks like 3 miles vis up here so :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

VFR is only about visibility, it doesn't mean the weather is good or advisable to fly in. A good many pilots would do well to learn that.

Last week we had the most amazing clear skies, over 40SM visibility, the most amazingly VFR day I can imagine, and you still wouldn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole because the winds were 35 gusting 50 with severe turbulence and wind shear owing to a LLJS.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Hey under VFR FF, is the controller obligated to tell the contact that radar contact is lost?

I was flying along the NC beach line today under VFR FF. I was up an approach freq and told them I'd be doing a low pass at a coastal airport. They told me to remain the same beacon code and contact them low pass complete. I called them on the climb out. About five minutes further down the coast, at my original altitude, I went beak to beak with a King Air at my cruising altitude. No maneuvering required, but we were definitely within a .5 of each other.

I asked the approach controller about it and he said "I have no contacts over there, we can't see you at that altitude." I was bingo fun at that point so I immediately climbed until he could see me but am I wrong in thinking he should tell me?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You should have been told, yeah.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

But he was VFR! They don't matter, you can't lose separation!

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Did you switch to unicom? Maybe they tried after you already made the switch. Even so, it sounds like they would not have been the other aircraft anyways, even if they still had you. Our radar coverage altitudes are not uniform.

They should have called you radar contact lost, however.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

TangoFox posted:

Did you switch to unicom? Maybe they tried after you already made the switch. Even so, it sounds like they would not have been the other aircraft anyways, even if they still had you. Our radar coverage altitudes are not uniform.

They should have called you radar contact lost, however.

When I told them my intentions, they switched me about 20 miles out and advised I remain the same squawk. I used a second radio to make CTAF calls on the way in and on the way out. The incident wasn't far from the airport at all...meaning the guy I ran into wasn't monitoring CTAF or approach. Doctor killer indeed!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/30/15903142/watch-2-22-movie-clip-michiel-huisman-teresa-palmer

This is pretty hilarious.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've tried twice now and just can't make it all the way through.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

I've tried twice now and just can't make it all the way through.

No seriously you have to the best part is at the end

Swiss air, Punch it!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
A question on "hold short" clearances.

At SEA, it's pretty common to get a taxi clearance of "Taxi to runway 16C via bravo, hold short 16L at charlie". When we switch to tower (who controls both 16C and L), they commonly clear us to simply "Cross runway 16L at charlie", but don't specifically tell us to hold short of 16C.

My understanding had been that controllers were required to issue specific instructions any time an aircraft is going to cross or hold short of a runway, but I'm starting to think that was incorrect based on what I keep hearing in Seattle.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A pilot is expected to hold short of their assigned departure runway without being told.

Since 16C is your assigned runway for departure, a hold short instruction isn't needed because you wouldn't otherwise be "crossing" it.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

azflyboy posted:

A question on "hold short" clearances.

At SEA, it's pretty common to get a taxi clearance of "Taxi to runway 16C via bravo, hold short 16L at charlie". When we switch to tower (who controls both 16C and L), they commonly clear us to simply "Cross runway 16L at charlie", but don't specifically tell us to hold short of 16C.

My understanding had been that controllers were required to issue specific instructions any time an aircraft is going to cross or hold short of a runway, but I'm starting to think that was incorrect based on what I keep hearing in Seattle.

The controller is not required to tell you to hold short of your assigned departure runway, that is implicit in the clearance. From the 7110.65, 3-7-2(b):
"When authorizing an aircraft to taxi to an assigned takeoff runway, state the departure runway followed by the specific taxi route. Issue hold short restrictions when an aircraft will be required to hold short of a runway or other points along the taxi route.

EXAMPLE−
“Runway Three−Six Left, taxi via taxiway Alpha, hold short of taxiway Charlie.”
or
“Runway Three−Six Left, taxi via Alpha, hold short of Charlie.”
or
“Runway Three−Six Left, taxi via taxiway Alpha, hold short of Runway Two−Seven Right.”
or
“Runway Three−Six Left, taxi via Charlie, cross Runway Two−Seven Left, hold short of Runway Two−Seven Right.”
or
“Runway Three−Six Left, taxi via Alpha, Charlie, cross Runway One−Zero.”

So if they're going to hold you short along the way they need to specify, but it is assumed that you will hold short of your departure runway when you reach the departure end, unless specifically instructed to do otherwise.

Edit: Ferret has beaten me like a trainer wielding a strip holder.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

JohnClark posted:

Edit: Ferret has beaten me like a trainer wielding a strip holder.

When an opportunity to smugly assert my knowledge arises, I feel a twinge in my brain. Like spider sense.

Fun fact, I've never worked anywhere that has actually used strip holders.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 1, 2017

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

When an opportunity to smugly assert my knowledge arises, I feel a twinge in my brain. Like spider sense.

Fun fact, I've never worked anywhere that has actually used strip holders.

Both places I worked used them. I saw an article just the other day about another facility that got electronic strips and it made me super jealous. The last place I worked not only had strips, we had drop tubes and ARTS 2E :(

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

A pilot is expected to hold short of their assigned departure runway without being told.

Since 16C is your assigned runway for departure, a hold short instruction isn't needed because you wouldn't otherwise be "crossing" it.

Thanks!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

JohnClark posted:

The last place I worked not only had strips, we had drop tubes and ARTS 2E :(

Same :respek:

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
While we do use strips at our facility, we only use highly decorated strip holders with our initials to determine who''s up for break next.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

Again - be careful with foreigners - we expect to be told a limiting hold point on the last taxiway or a hold short - and we will read back to hold short of the departure runway anyway - habit.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Not in amurrica buddy.

Foreign pilots deviate all the time and nothing ever comes of it, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't taxi onto a departure runway without instruction

We even switched "position and hold" to "line up and wait" to appease the rest of the world. I'm not sure where you'd get the idea that it's ok to get onto your departure runway without instruction.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Not in amurrica buddy.

Foreign pilots deviate all the time and nothing ever comes of it, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't taxi onto a departure runway without instruction

We even switched "position and hold" to "line up and wait" to appease the rest of the world. I'm not sure where you'd get the idea that it's ok to get onto your departure runway without instruction.

I haven't looked at taxi instructions in a while. The whole "if not told to hold short of a point (including runway) you are allowed to cross all points to your assigned point" thing still in the .65? Paraphrased as gently caress.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I haven't looked at taxi instructions in a while. The whole "if not told to hold short of a point (including runway) you are allowed to cross all points to your assigned point" thing still in the .65? Paraphrased as gently caress.
Not quite. From the 7110.65, 3-7-2(c):
"Aircraft/vehicles must receive a clearance for each runway their route crosses. An aircraft/vehicle must have crossed a previous runway before another runway crossing clearance may be issued." You used to be able to say "Taxi to runway 36", which authorized crossing everything along the route but they got rid of that. I'm not sure precisely when though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Changed a few years back, like 6 or 7 years ago.

Basically, nothing changed for the pilots. The absence of hold short instructions authorizes the crossing of any runway along the taxi route. However, since ATC is now always required to specify either a cross or hold short instruction, this should never happen. And, if it did, it would be an error on ATC's part.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, I think it changed in Canada around the same time, because when I originally stopped flying there were no such clearances, and now they're always specified.

Given the, uh, interesting routes that I've seen or heard of student pilots taking to a runway which may or may not be the one they were cleared to taxi to, I'm pretty sure making the clearances more specific is a good thing, at least at training airports :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah overall it's an improvement. I learned the "old way" first but only had to undo a year's worth of habit vs. my coworkers that had said it the old way for decades.

They've recently added the requirement that runway crossings must specify the taxiway to use as well. Yes, even when aircraft are already holding short at the runway. This adds a layer of redundancy to ensure the aircraft is where the controller thinks they are.