Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

https://youtu.be/bgSurkfqXuI

Now imagine that's your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if an animal's name includes the thing it can do to harm you then you want to actively fear what it can do

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yah I learned that the hard way from the tickle bird.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
jesus, please don't post anything else that reminds me of my encounter with that buttfucking kangaroo

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

So, I haven't seen all that many of these transporter vaults, but this one stood out to me as particularly nasty.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LordSloth posted:

So, I haven't seen all that many of these transporter vaults, but this one stood out to me as particularly nasty.
:stare:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

LordSloth posted:

:wtc:

Does anyone know if the various calculations on learndb for things like hit chance, damage, etc, are correct? Or is there a better way to find them, other than code diving?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

You can see the damage numbers ingame now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LordSloth posted:

This is a thing of beauty.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

someone awful. posted:

What? How? Is it an RC setting?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Not like, how much damage you do, how much damage things can do to you. Sorry to get your hopes up. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

someone awful. posted:

Not like, how much damage you do, how much damage things can do to you. Sorry to get your hopes up. :(
Oh! Yeah, in the description. I noticed that, too. Helpful!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

welp, 11 runes down the toilet because I got bored in Pandemonium. Went through like 30 20 floors without finding a single 'boss' floor so when TSO's fortress showed up i'm like 'gently caress yes lets explore this place', bad idea as it turns out, got my rear end in a top hat torn apart by 3 daevas chain-smiting me . First time in getting most of the 'postgame' runes though so at least some learning was done. This guy was seriously stacked though, could have won easily if I had just peaced out of that place. Beat the new tomb for the first time with a Formicid too, passage of golubria is super good for it (not as good as cblink but what is), it was pretty close on floor 3 since Mara and an ancient lich were in the greeting party, but I cleared as much as I could on the first pass, backed out (and went to get my one (1) holy word scroll I found all game), and finished it up on the 2nd pass.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Inde/morgue-Inde-20170619-234743.txt to mourn my sick gear

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

someone awful. posted:

Yeah I know that, I'm just interested in digging into some of the mathematics behind the game.'

e: While Im asking questions, how do you guys play using Gozag. Set up a shop every change you get? Always have enough reserve gold for potion effects?

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 20, 2017

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah I know that, I'm just interested in digging into some of the mathematics behind the game.'

e: While Im asking questions, how do you guys play using Gozag. Set up a shop every change you get? Always have enough reserve gold for potion effects?

Saving enough gold for potions is pro-mode, forgetting to build shops until you've finished a branch and you've got a million bucks is god-mode, never spending any of it because you forgot totally... ultra-hardcore.

Honestly, I usually just build shops as I remember to or unless I run into a wall and need to see if I can get some great gear to help me along the way. Especially as a spellcaster if no books have shown up. Mummys of Gozag are quite fun once you actually make it to mid-game and you've managed to find some half-decent spells.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Coming at this from a Vine Stalker perspective:

A: Once you get past the early game, always keep 1500 gold on you for emergency potions. Before you start your money train, use your regular consumables.
B: Don't acquire more than one shop before clearing Orc 2.
C: Branches are where you farm up money, branch ends are where you spend it. You may blow through 3000 gold clearing the Vault 5 ambush as a melee dude, but you'll easily recoup all of that by clearing Vaults 1 through 4.
D: Provided you can survive, Hell/Abyss will fund everything else you might want because the enemies there actually drop gold despite respawning infinitely.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

1500 is way too much gold to hoard. With Gozag you should have more basic potions than regular characters (potion and scroll shops are always a safe bet if your other choices suck) and potion petition isn't so much better than drinking regular potions, so you should generally only use it when you really need to, like when you're completely out of heal wounds or super likely to die next turn. With that in mind and considering potion costs, having ~600g spare is plenty. That gives you 1-2 petitions most of the time. You won't be able to buy the crazy 1000g cure-heal-magic-haste-invis-might-agility potion slurry but those are usually a bad choice anyway. Don't get those unless it's free or you are super desperate.

You want to be pretty proactive about setting up shops, they give you new gear. It's fine to float a bit of gold though since you need extra to actually buy the things in the shop anyway.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Since I've been trying to get a Gozag Octopode run to work lately I've been leaning pretty hard into rushing a shop so I can get a jewelry shop opened to fill out those ring slots.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Since I've been trying to get a Gozag Octopode run to work lately I've been leaning pretty hard into rushing a shop so I can get a jewelry shop opened to fill out those ring slots.

Since the shops are XL-based I generally try to get to XL12 before opening my first shop and for future shops if I am near a new level I hold off on until I ding. I think that's still valid with Op as long as you are surviving. If you are struggling I would get a shop as soon as you can afford it. Generally how I survive is I backpedal as soon as there is gold on the ground. The distraction will break up groups and give you a chance to lose some of them or at least fight more of them one on one.

It's the same as any other class, wait until you absolutely are about to die without a shop. Just Podes tend to fall into the "about to die without it" category a lot more easily than most races. If no jewelry shop is afforded, antique shops and general stores can have jewelry and if you already need scrolls, scroll shops can have acquirement. For anyone but podes who just need jewelry too badly, it's good to wait until after Orc for your 2nd or 3rd shop.

I generally bribe V5 after I've killed as many guards as I can stand and Zot 5 once I hit the vault. If I am not desperate for gear I will save funds to bribe Zot, Depths, and possibly Dungeon on the way out.

Also try to get OOD as it's absolutely hilarious with Gozag.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So on a similar note, is the endgame survivability plan for OpTm just get to statue form or something? Or should you expect to stock up on artifact rings that make up for your lack of armor? Or both?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
statue form or dragon form.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Darox posted:

1500 is way too much gold to hoard. With Gozag you should have more basic potions than regular characters (potion and scroll shops are always a safe bet if your other choices suck) and potion petition isn't so much better than drinking regular potions, so you should generally only use it when you really need to, like when you're completely out of heal wounds or super likely to die next turn. With that in mind and considering potion costs, having ~600g spare is plenty. That gives you 1-2 petitions most of the time. You won't be able to buy the crazy 1000g cure-heal-magic-haste-invis-might-agility potion slurry but those are usually a bad choice anyway. Don't get those unless it's free or you are super desperate.

You want to be pretty proactive about setting up shops, they give you new gear. It's fine to float a bit of gold though since you need extra to actually buy the things in the shop anyway.

Counterpoint- as a Vs you can't heal with regular potions so you might need blow two petitions in a row if you absolutely need healing now
(same applies for mummies)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Araganzar posted:

jesus, please don't post anything else that reminds me of my encounter with that buttfucking kangaroo

FR: buttfucking kangaroos

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Is there a reliable way to generate a ton of noise quickly? I want the whole floor to be nearby when I spread the gospel of Ru, and even after using a wand of lightning and shouting a few times there still are always some monsters that don't notice me until after using Apocalypse.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Konstantin posted:

Is there a reliable way to generate a ton of noise quickly? I want the whole floor to be nearby when I spread the gospel of Ru, and even after using a wand of lightning and shouting a few times there still are always some monsters that don't notice me until after using Apocalypse.
Level 9 spells are pretty good for that if lightning isn't working, but might be more investment than you're looking for. :v:

Scrolls of noise might help? I'm not sure if they're louder than lightning wands or not.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Konstantin posted:

LearnDB says lightning bolt is only a little quieter than shatter, so there you go.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

Is there a reliable way to generate a ton of noise quickly?

Summon Buttfucking Kangaroo

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Araganzar posted:

Since the shops are XL-based

Wow, I never would have thought of that. Thanks - will reinforce my "buy what you know about" tendencies over my "but the next one could be spectacular - you know you want to". Any idea how big the effect is?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Konstantin posted:

Find the Shield of the Gong. Alternatively smash two Orbs of Destruction together!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

rchandra posted:

Wow, I never would have thought of that. Thanks - will reinforce my "buy what you know about" tendencies over my "but the next one could be spectacular - you know you want to". Any idea how big the effect is?

Never knew they were XL based either, that changes a couple of things for me.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I decided to play some OpTm and Dragon form is even better than I remember. I bought it from a book store in lair and have just been on an absolute rampage. I oneshot both of the dragons guarding the depths entrance. I tabbed through the desolation of salt at xl18 and that place is usually nightmare hard. I've had some close calls but luckily Gozag also gave me an extra 4 blink scrolls on top of my existing pile so I have emergency options for days. And even burning all that food on dragonform casts I've still got plenty of food and have bought no food shops.

OpTm is pretty rough to start with (The first two attempts ended in less than 20 turns) but once it gets rolling it's so good.

Araganzar posted:

Since the shops are XL-based I generally try to get to XL12 before opening my first shop and for future shops if I am near a new level I hold off on until I ding. I think that's still valid with Op as long as you are surviving. If you are struggling I would get a shop as soon as you can afford it. Generally how I survive is I backpedal as soon as there is gold on the ground. The distraction will break up groups and give you a chance to lose some of them or at least fight more of them one on one.

It's the same as any other class, wait until you absolutely are about to die without a shop. Just Podes tend to fall into the "about to die without it" category a lot more easily than most races. If no jewelry shop is afforded, antique shops and general stores can have jewelry and if you already need scrolls, scroll shops can have acquirement. For anyone but podes who just need jewelry too badly, it's good to wait until after Orc for your 2nd or 3rd shop.

What part of them scales with XL? Also I'd say antique and general stores are pretty low tier, I usually wouldn't pick them over potions or scrolls.

My ranking: Jewelry > Potions > Scrolls > Armour > Antiques > Weapons > General > Books > Food > Gadgets
Obviously they change depending on your current character/gear, an OpTm doesn't care about armour or weapons and someone with full artifact jewelry might not value more jewelry stores but that's the general priority.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

My ranking: Jewelry > Potions > Scrolls > Armour > Antiques > Weapons > General > Books > Food > Gadgets
Obviously they change depending on your current character/gear, an OpTm doesn't care about armour or weapons and someone with full artifact jewelry might not value more jewelry stores but that's the general priority.

Interesting choices. For an Op going Jewelry first is obviously the smart choice but in general I would (depending on how good the other shops and floor god have been to me) do Armour/Jewelry/Weapons up top, and then Books and Scrolls. I always figured antiques had a higher chance of generating artifacts but there is no basis for it except observation bias I guess.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 21, 2017

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's basically just picking the things that have the highest chance of a useful return. A jewelry store especially early has a high chance of giving you either a resist you don't have, extra AC/EV/Slaying, or just an amulet you're missing with a decent shot at a useful artifact on top of that. Everyone can wear all rings, most people only want one weapon type or a particular armour weight class. A potions shop basically always has some of curing/heal wounds/might/agility with the chance at haste. Similar thing with scrolls, although the common stuff is less useful than common potions.

Armour is better than I gave credit though, I'd probably revise that list with armour above scrolls, and for the first couple of shops I'd also take it over potions. You're more likely to have empty or unbranded aux slots to help the odds.

The highrolls for armour and weapon shops are real nice but the low result is literally nothing so I dislike them. Antique versions have a higher chance of success though.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I've been splitting a LOT of OpTr's. The secret to getting one off the ground seems to be playing locally and filling the dungeon with hundreds of weak OpTr ghosts that you can then consume and use the XP to get the good forms rolling.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I can never do Tm just because they have so many drat skills to sink XP to right away.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Thanks to everyone here, I'm going to undergo an exercise in self-hatred and run back some OpTm on CBRO for much of the evening. While I'm familiar with the game, when it comes to OpTm, I have no loving clue other than I hate how my transmuters of any variety all die spiteful deaths. Feel free to spectate if you want to see someone be bad at it http://crawl.berotato.org:8080/#watch-LordSloth

Or drop a link if you plan to play some Octopodes online and want to share your misery.

Edit: Done for night, somehow made it through lair and orc despite many butt-clenching brushes with death.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 22, 2017

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Hi Crawl thread, I have a BaSu who's done Orc and is just wrapping up L6 (I did Orc first because Nessos was on L5). I've got 7 spell levels and I'm looking to learn a level 7 Summoning spell.

The problem is...Summon Hydra, Monstrous Menagerie, and Summon Greater Demon don't seem to immediately suggest which ones are good for which situations. Which one should I memorize? I just don't know which factors favor which choices. I've been playing this dude as a bit of an infighter, because it's easy to hang out with my summons until it gets hairy and then hop and blink out. Here's a dump if it helps. He has sick resists so I'm really hoping not to splat this one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Summon hydra can be useful for the entire game. Its a short duration spell so its no good for preemptive summons, but you can call some up during battle to tear through opponents. Monstrous menagerie is suited for a higher level chaff spell with some decent power behind it.

Summon greater demon is awful and should only be used if you feel like getting yourself killed.

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010
Hello. Can ziggurats still spawn in Pan, or anywhere else? I used the one in Depths already, but bailed out around floor 10. I have been wandering Pan for a while, but no zig. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

chukamok posted:

Hello. Can ziggurats still spawn in Pan, or anywhere else? I used the one in Depths already, but bailed out around floor 10. I have been wandering Pan for a while, but no zig. TIA.

Nope. You get a zig spawning token at the end of tomb though.

• Locked thread