Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

At the beginning during the tutorial tests, the guy acts all confused at your actions. Is there an indication anywhere of what kind of response he was expecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Sanzuo posted:

At the beginning during the tutorial tests, the guy acts all confused at your actions. Is there an indication anywhere of what kind of response he was expecting?

I was thinking neuromod abilities

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You're supposed to get the full Typhon suite, but January switches it out with whatever the neuromod equivalent of a sugar pill is. That's why you remember the test going sideways, there weren't any neuromods to remove so you kept your memories.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Sanzuo posted:

its implied that you "remember" the murdertest day because someone had sent down "blank mods" with no abilities so the removal would not trigger memory wipe. they even say in the opening "i just installed what they sent down i dont know what the gently caress"

i forgot who that was or why but its there

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ZeeBoi posted:

I was thinking neuromod abilities

There's a related achievement, Makeup Exam.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Basic Chunnel posted:

You're supposed to get the full Typhon suite, but January switches it out with whatever the neuromod equivalent of a sugar pill is. That's why you remember the test going sideways, there weren't any neuromods to remove so you kept your memories.

Crouching behind a chair to hide instead of using mimic is better anyway.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My first time I tried crouching behind the glassy pillars at the front of the room and received an exasperated "we can still see you". It wasn't until I watched other people playing that I realised that the 'intended' result was an attempt to hide behind the chair.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The intended result is to Mimic the chair.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In-universe, yes obviously. I meant the expected player action from the game designer's perspective, because in-universe they could have done the test with a coffee cup in the room, but no player would attempt to physically hide behind a coffee cup.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

According to people with actual numbers, despite making the NPD top 10 -- sadly but predictably -- Prey sold poorly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The game prepares for so many contingencies I almost wonder if there would be alternate dialog for if you somehow cheated typhon abilities early and actually completed the intro sequence tests as they expected you to.
I mean, I know there isn't, but it seems like the sort of thing this game would do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

According to people with actual numbers, despite making the NPD top 10 -- sadly but predictably -- Prey sold poorly.

Prey sold half as many copies on Steam as Dishonored 2. Which isn't many but it's not *that* bad is it?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

The game prepares for so many contingencies I almost wonder if there would be alternate dialog for if you somehow cheated typhon abilities early and actually completed the intro sequence tests as they expected you to.
I mean, I know there isn't, but it seems like the sort of thing this game would do.

It should be possible to find out; I'm pretty sure older versions of the speed run collected the psychoscope while the "put on your suit" quest was still active so if you go back to the test area at that point the tests would probably still be conducted.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Prey sold half as many copies on Steam as Dishonored 2. Which isn't many but it's not *that* bad is it?

I mean, Dishonored 2 itself didn't do well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rinkles posted:

I wonder how much better it would sell if they went with a -Shock name and marketed the game for what it is. The knee-jerk response would be 'a lot better' but I'm not sure how much sway this legacy really has on the mainstream market.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Palpek posted:

I wonder how much better it would sell if they went with a -Shock name and marketed the game for what it is. The knee-jerk response would be 'a lot better' but I'm not sure how much sway this legacy really has on the mainstream market.

Did they even market this game as anything? I randomly started getting emails about it, I think because I signed up for a Prey 2 thing years ago. I totally ignored it until I read the RPS writeup on it and realized what it was. A lot of people who came into the thread post-release seemed totally clueless that the game even existed until just then, let alone that it was a System Shock clone. It feels like they just shoved it out the door and wanted it over with after how long it was in production. We haven't heard a peep about DLC as far as I know which is fairly abnormal these days.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Palpek posted:

Making that connection clearer would've helped. I don't know how much of a market there actually is for this type of game, but Bethesda did a piss poor job of selling it to the audience that does exist. A ton of potentially interested people had no idea what the game was besides being aware of the developer. Just the pedigree of Arkane is clearly not enough.

Instead of "BioShock of the Generation" (to put it crudely), it was the game that let you turn into a cup for some reason, or that game that wasn't Prey 2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I mean, Dishonored 2 itself didn't do well.

Yeh, unfortunately.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

NRVNQSR posted:

It should be possible to find out; I'm pretty sure older versions of the speed run collected the psychoscope while the "put on your suit" quest was still active so if you go back to the test area at that point the tests would probably still be conducted.

The tutorial exam area and the regular game's exam area are almost certainly two different files. It would be a lot of extra programming work to make it switch to it's broken state and still keep the tutorial events intact.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Rinkles posted:

My feeling is that we have seen the last of the AAA immersive sim. The dissolution of Irrational, Square Enix putting Deus Ex on ice, poor sales for Arkane...all the signs are there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any at all until Consortium: The Tower drops in 2018.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

the black husserl posted:

My feeling is that we have seen the last of the AAA immersive sim. The dissolution of Irrational, Square Enix putting Deus Ex on ice, poor sales for Arkane...all the signs are there.

Nah, the way office politics work, eventually someone charismatic who likes that sort of game will schmooze their way to be head of the appropriate team and will greenlight another one. People said turn-based tactics was dead too and then we got new XCOM and the genre blew open again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

the black husserl posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any at all until Consortium: The Tower drops in 2018.
There are 2 System Shocks in active development by different studios at this very moment.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zomborgon posted:

The tutorial exam area and the regular game's exam area are almost certainly two different files.

They take place in the same place; we know this because it's possible to glitch your way out of the tutorial and play the rest of the game as normal. Even if there are separate tutorial and post-tutorial versions of the Neuromod Division it should be possible to pick up the psychoscope while it's still in tutorial mode.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Palpek posted:

There are 2 System Shocks in active development by different studios at this very moment.

I feel the new Zelda might infuse the dev community with imm sim like sensibilities, even if it's coming from a slightly different place. Letting the environment set the rules of player ability and limitations, and letting them run wild within those confines.

TACOMA's another game on the horizon that has a lot to do with the genre.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Palpek posted:

Which is great, but neither of them are AAA so it doesn't contradict what I'm saying? I'd bet big that SS3 will drop after The Tower - if you're fiending for immersive sims, that's going to be your next hit.

Mzbundifund posted:

Nah, the way office politics work, eventually someone charismatic who likes that sort of game will schmooze their way to be head of the appropriate team and will greenlight another one. People said turn-based tactics was dead too and then we got new XCOM and the genre blew open again.

I hope so, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that anytime soon. It was almost 20 years before XCOM got resurrected.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Did they even market this game as anything? I randomly started getting emails about it, I think because I signed up for a Prey 2 thing years ago. I totally ignored it until I read the RPS writeup on it and realized what it was. A lot of people who came into the thread post-release seemed totally clueless that the game even existed until just then, let alone that it was a System Shock clone. It feels like they just shoved it out the door and wanted it over with after how long it was in production. We haven't heard a peep about DLC as far as I know which is fairly abnormal these days.

Remember that Bethesda is so trash at marketing other studios' games that an unrelated graphics company did a better job of selling doom 2016 for them than they did. I'm pretty sure if you made an RTS game they'd try to sell it as some kind of story-driven twin stick shooter.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Prey hit #5 on the NPD best sellers list for May, and that doesn't count digital sales (only physical) so I think it did just fine.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What's the news on SS3? Who is developing it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Prey hit #5 on the NPD best sellers list for May, and that doesn't count digital sales (only physical) so I think it did just fine.

It did not. Ranking doesn't mean much if little else came out that month/sold much.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Palpek posted:

It would still be a cult game on a AAA budget

It's easy to be salty when a shittily designed cash-in jankfest like Friday The 13th can storm the charts on the strength of a brand name and the thinnest of multiplayer conceits. Would not be surprised if this is the year online gaming finally does to immersive sim what it did to cinematic RPGs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

It would still be a cult game on a AAA budget

It's easy to be salty when a shittily designed cash-in jankfest like Friday The 13th can storm the charts on the strength of a brand name and the thinnest of multiplayer conceits. Would not be surprised if this is the year online gaming finally does to immersive sim what it did to cinematic RPGs

What did online gaming do to cinematic RPGs? You're thinking Anthem/Destiny?

It's sad to think we're in middle of another System Shock 2 situation. A game the general public will only appreciate in hindsight and from a distance.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Zomborgon posted:

The tutorial exam area and the regular game's exam area are almost certainly two different files. It would be a lot of extra programming work to make it switch to it's broken state and still keep the tutorial events intact.

There's only one Neuromods Lab map. The room where you wake up at the start of the game is the exact same room you wake up in after the failed exam.
You can see this by glitching outside the room on the "first day". The game just seamlessly keeps going, assuming you're on the second day and have just broken the window. Speedruns used this a lot (well, before they patched the GLOO gun, dunno if it's still possible)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

More or less. Single-player RPGs are basically the domain of the indies now. Bethsoft proper might be the exception but it's hard not to imagine they won't try for some sort of asynchronous Destiny / Dark Souls mechanic for their next tentpole.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I never would have touched this game or given more thought to it then "huh ok" after seeing a commercial during a basketball game until I saw this thread title. I picked it up a few days ago and am enjoying it immensely and it will lead me to try the Dishonored series which I haven't played before.

It's funny the way the game sneaks up on you. I thought the intro was fun enough, but nothing special, but now I've gradually become hooked enough that it's become one of those wanna-get-outta-work-to-play-it-type games. I just got the psychotrope or w/e the helmet is called. Does using/not using the alien mods make a narrative difference? January said it's 'the whole reason we're in this mess in the first place', so I'd rather not trigger another mass murder alien outbreak but if that's just a throwaway line then gently caress it, I'm in.

My only complaints are that it hews a little closely to old PC game territory with crappy combat/sneaking and a narrative hindered by 'constantly get distracted and have to fix something'.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It is not a throwaway line. The mystery of not knowing the full implications of installing Typhon mods makes the game a lot more fun, IMHO. Follow your instincts and you'll have a rewarding experience no matter what your decision is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It's sad to think we're in middle of another System Shock 2 situation. A game the general public will only appreciate in hindsight and from a distance.

I don't think the typical member of the general public has played SS2 anyway, so it mostly has the reputation it does due to the (relatively) small but loud group of people who have played it. This kind of game just might be cursed to be a lot more niche than it seems like it should be, regardless of how influential the games are. Wikipedia says of SS2 "Despite critical acclaim, the title did not perform well commercially;[59] only 58,671 copies were sold by April 2000.[60]" Even by 1999 standards, that seems tiny for a game that influential. It's pretty safe to call it a cult classic.

Basic Chunnel posted:

More or less. Single-player RPGs are basically the domain of the indies now. Bethsoft proper might be the exception but it's hard not to imagine they won't try for some sort of asynchronous Destiny / Dark Souls mechanic for their next tentpole.

I mean bethesda's most recent RPG was already their least RPish one yet, so it's not hard to believe that they'll keep going in that direction

e: But I feel like you are seriously forgetting the witcher 3 here

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

Does using/not using the alien mods make a narrative difference?

I think it's fair to say that the game clearly frames it as one of its choices, especially since you have one codec character telling you to do it and one codec character telling you not to. Overall, though, I'd say the gameplay differences are much more significant than the narrative ones.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Digirat posted:

I don't think the typical member of the general public has played SS2 anyway, so it mostly has the reputation it does due to the (relatively) small but loud group of people who have played it.

That's what I meant by "appreciate from a distance".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Digirat posted:

e: But I feel like you are seriously forgetting the witcher 3 here

One game every three years does not an industry make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Persona 5 came out like a month ago, or six in Japan.