Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

To clarify, Solemnity does not stop "enters the battlefield with counters" effects because they are not yet a permanent, right?

But yeah that seems like a solid board card in Modern. Not sure if it beats out existing anti-affinity or anti-infect etc. cards, but it's pretty versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Affinity and infect hate?

How do you type cumulative upkeep and get that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

Was relic too good for standard?

Seems more like a sidegrade than an upgrade or downgrade. Adding 1 mana for the ability to get rid of the specific card you need gone without losing it, in exchange for losing the free card when you blow it up.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

Deck: Mardu Reanimator

Thanks.

So you have 7 draw and dump spells just for Liliana to reanimate?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

How do you type cumulative upkeep and get that

Oooh, time to go digging for ways to abuse this.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Oh right, this was the Void Winnower deck. Is that card still effective vs the post-Marvel-ban field?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Shortest Path posted:

To clarify, Solemnity does not stop "enters the battlefield with counters" effects because they are not yet a permanent, right?

That would mean that Melira and Vizier of Remedies would not be able to prevent a -1/-1 counter from being put on a Kitchen Finks when it is revived with persist.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I, for one, am glad to finally get a decent Marvel/energy hate card

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

evilweasel posted:

Seems more like a sidegrade than an upgrade or downgrade. Adding 1 mana for the ability to get rid of the specific card you need gone without losing it, in exchange for losing the free card when you blow it up.

The mana to activate the first ability can't be ignored. Not getting a card upon exile is a big deal. I prefer this to having nothing but why not just print relic?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

haha these gy hate cards are infuriating. i buy into a deck all bout reanimation because there haven't been anyway to deal with it for the last few sets and i order the cards friday and now all the gy hate is being spoiled

lololololol

Eh, it's not like the existence of a few counter-play cards in the sideboard is going to invalidate the deck.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

How does that counters card not work with depths? Don't the counter get put on 'when it etbs'

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Sickening posted:

The mana to activate the first ability can't be ignored. Not getting a card upon exile is a big deal. I prefer this to having nothing but why not just print relic?

Because Creative didn't feel a card that references Progenitus fits thematically on blah blah blah

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fraying Sanity
2U
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Enchant Player

At the beginning of each end step, enchanted player puts X cards from the top of his or her library into their graveyard, where X is the number of cards that went to their graveyard from anywhere this turn.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Star Man posted:

That would mean that Melira and Vizier of Remedies would not be able to prevent a -1/-1 counter from being put on a Kitchen Finks when it is revived with persist.

You're right. So it's a combo with Dark Depths, then, for one. It's also great with Glacial Chasm.

It seems like an extraordinarily powerful hate piece in Commander, against the right things. Not sure whether it will see play in other formats, 3cmc is a tad high for proactive hate.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 20, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

Fraying Sanity
2U
Enchantment - Aura Curse
Enchant Player

At the beginning of each end step, enchanted player puts X cards from the top of his or her library into their graveyard, where X is the number of cards that went to their graveyard from anywhere this turn.

Great, i guess esper mill is going to have another card.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

DangerDongs posted:

Thanks.

So you have 7 draw and dump spells just for Liliana to reanimate?

You have Nahiri as well.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, solemnity basically kills any kind of energy deck, right? Any GB Energy deck is destroyed by this.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
How does the counters enchantment interact with Phyrexian Unlife?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Smashing Link posted:

You can't lose from damage or loss life.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

you basically can't die to damage

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

I mean, solemnity basically kills any kind of energy deck, right? Any GB Energy deck is destroyed by this.

In a vacuum world where enchantment answers did not exist yeah probably

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/valimarmtg/status/877186810484584449

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

//Lands
3 Canyon Slough
3 Concealed Courtyard
3 Evolving Wilds
1 Foreboding Ruins
3 Inspiring Vantage
5 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Swamp

//Spells
1 Anguished Unmaking
2 Magma Spray
2 Grasp of Darkness

//Enchantment
4 Cast Out

//Sorcery
3 Cathartic Reunion
1 Declaration in Stone
1 Pick the Brain
2 Sweltering Suns
4 Tormenting Voice
2 Whispers of Emrakul

//Planeswalker
3 Liliana, Death's Majesty
3 Nahiri, the Harbinger
1 Liliana, the Last Hope

//Creatures
1 Glorybringer
3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
1 Linvala, the Preserver
1 Noxious Gearhulk
2 Void Winnower

//Sideboard
1 Descend upon the Sinful
3 Dispossess
1 Magma Spray
2 Painful Truths
1 Pick the Brain
3 Ruinous Path
1 Sweltering Suns
3 Transgress the Mind

Where did this come from originally? I like it but find the colors a bit unreliable sometimes, and I'm not sure Whispers has been that great.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

If this had been printed in, oh, say, 1998, it would have said: "Counters can't be put on permanents." Might have even had: "Remove all counters from all permanents."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

Well, assuming we're talking about standard: how much stuff depends on the number of cards in your graveyard rather than specific cards in your graveyard? This lets you exile the targets of refurbish/rise from the grave, lets you nuke Prized Amalgam if it's going to be triggered, lets you nuke any specific embalm creature you want to stay dead, and stay on the board. So you're paying one mana to keep the card around when you haven't been able to pre-clear the graveyard. Because you don't need to clear out the graveyard completely to get rid of specific cards you don't need to activate it every turn.

I think in modern it doesn't seem useful in most cases since you're going to be nuking the entire graveyard more than a specific card, but there's matchups where you'd prefer this.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

In a vacuum world where enchantment answers did not exist yeah probably

I need to draw my hate, you need to draw an answer form my hate. It seems fair.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

BizarroAzrael posted:

Where did this come from originally? I like it but find the colors a bit unreliable sometimes, and I'm not sure Whispers has been that great.

Angry Grimace posted it a few pages back. I am not sure where he got it. But it looked interesting to me so I been playing the poo poo out of it online to decent results and bought it when they banned Marvel.

Whispers is great when you hit it late game with a Dark Dwellers w/Delirium

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 20, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Well, assuming we're talking about standard: how much stuff depends on the number of cards in your graveyard rather than specific cards in your graveyard? This lets you exile the targets of refurbish/rise from the grave, lets you nuke Prized Amalgam if it's going to be triggered, lets you nuke any specific embalm creature you want to stay dead, and stay on the board. So you're paying one mana to keep the card around when you haven't been able to pre-clear the graveyard. Because you don't need to clear out the graveyard completely to get rid of specific cards you don't need to activate it every turn.

I think in modern it doesn't seem useful in most cases since you're going to be nuking the entire graveyard more than a specific card, but there's matchups where you'd prefer this.

There is little chance this sees play in modern over the options it already has available.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Solemnity is a guaranteed sideboard card in Modern.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Here's an exhaustive list of all the cumulative upkeep cards that are even kind of good with Solemnity:

illusions of grandeur
ritual of subdual
reality twist
naked singularity
inner sanctum
infernal darkness
snowfall
thought lash
tidal control
tombstone stairwell
tornado
a whole bunch of lovely slightly-undercosted vanilla or french vanilla dudes

Unfortunately all of them are 3+ cmc and most are not modern legal, so at best some of this might be cute in commander.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Also stops Experience Counter generals.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Here's an exhaustive list of all the cumulative upkeep cards that are even kind of good with Solemnity:

illusions of grandeur
ritual of subdual
reality twist
naked singularity
inner sanctum
infernal darkness
snowfall
thought lash
tidal control
tombstone stairwell
tornado

Unfortunately all of them are 3+ cmc and most are not modern legal, so at best some of this might be cute in commander.

Phyrexian Soulgorger. 3 mana 8/8.
Sheltering Ancient: 2 mana 5/5 trample
Survivor of the Unseen: 3 mana, tap to draw two and put one card on your library

I'm reading cumulative upkeep correctly: you must first put the counter on, then pay for it, so no counter put on = no payment at all, correct?

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 20, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's correct. Soulgorger is probably the only vanilla dude worth using with it, but that's still not fantastic. Two 3cmc cards that are bad alone for an 8/8 with no evasion is... not great. At that point you're better off playing Saheeli combo.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Plus this:

Play any instant or sorcery.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Man, it would be cool to see a white based enchantress deck based around unlife and solemnity.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Doesn't that also combo with Devoted Druid for infinite mana?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Doesn't that also combo with Devoted Druid for infinite mana?

Nah, this prevents you from paying the cost, like Melira, whereas vizier modifies the cost.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
It would've been pretty funny if they hosed up and included "planeswalkers" in that list of permanents.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheMaestroso posted:

Plus this:

Play any instant or sorcery.

Turn 3 Solemnity.
Turn 4 Thing in the Ice, Expedite, bounce your poo poo swing for 7 seems good.

Edit: I'm putting Swarm Intelligence in my Intet deck.
I'm building The Locust God.
Animar is getting Crucible Man.

Hour is a good EDH set.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

illusions of grandeur
ritual of subdual
reality twist
naked singularity
inner sanctum
infernal darkness
snowfall
thought lash
tidal control
tombstone stairwell
tornado

Mystic remora makes for a potential draw engine as well