Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

Why? They still haven't shown any gameplay, previous trailers for the sequel showed more than this one. One of the most fishy things that can happen to a game stuck in development hell is a CG trailer.

Well, yeah, that feeling didn't last long beyond the trailer itself, but it's still nice to hear from it for the first time in 9 years. If it's a poison pill I hope it succeeds at that too.

There's a behind-the-scenes video floating around with in-engine footage so it's not like the project doesn't exist at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

Hot take: The rapping rabbit game looked embarrassingly bad.

Agreed, but lots of really bad-looking games have gotten funded in the past with nothing but a few jpegs of concept art and headshots of developers who haven't made anything good in (console) generations. Maybe now that the first big wave of Kickstarter games have come and gone people are actually learning :pray:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Days Gone feels like it's coming out 5 years too late. The zombie pikmin aspect they showcased could be pretty amusing but that was about the only unique thing about the entire presentation. Sony was just pretty average this year but EA, MS and Bethesda were so much worse that I couldn't call it bad.

Days Gone could be interning depending on whether the dynamic weather has as much effect on the gameplay as they've suggested and encounters can play out completely differently depending on it. But we'll see.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Palpek posted:

Why? They still haven't shown any gameplay, previous trailers for the sequel showed more than this one. One of the most fishy things that can happen to a game stuck in development hell is a CG trailer.

I get the feeling that Ubisoft went all out to appease shareholders and thwart the Vivendi takeover.

Guy Mann posted:

Agreed, but lots of really bad-looking games have gotten funded in the past with nothing but a few jpegs of concept art and headshots of developers who haven't made anything good in (console) generations. Maybe now that the first big wave of Kickstarter games have come and gone people are actually learning :pray:

They didn't handle the KS very well. There wasn't much shown for what they wanted the final product to look or sound like. Goals were shifted around. Launching at this time of year meant that the gaming press was focused on e3. Rhythm Games have typically been a harder sell on KS compared to CRPGs and platformers.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The prologue missions from HITMAN are being given away for free, starting today.

No excuse this time to not give GotY 2016 a whirl

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah unlike Blood Money the tutorial is actually really really good and definitely worth checking out

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah unlike Blood Money the tutorial is actually really really good and definitely worth checking out

I actually thought the tutorial sucked a bit, the game only got enjoyable for me the second I landed in Paris.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I'd be worried about the tutorial putting people off

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked it :shrug:

They did a good job informing the player that the missions, including the prologue, are meant to be replayed a bunch of times.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Sunning posted:

I get the feeling that Ubisoft went all out to appease shareholders and thwart the Vivendi takeover.

Seems more like a trap to scare away Vivendi. "Hey Vivendi, if you buy us out, you'll be on the hook for this ridiculous, buzzword-stuffed, over ambitious sequel to a beloved title with a stubborn visionary director at the wheel that we haven't technically started yet. Good luck dealing with the backlash when it bombs or you're forced to cancel it after it bleeds a few mil from you."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

From listening to some E3 podcasts, relevant to recent discussion topics here:

The devs on Spider-Man noted people's responses to the QTEs and said that they were really only in play during the big cinematic moments in story missions. Most of the other open world swinging-around-and-doing-stuff gameplay would not have any of it.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is going to be an "open-universe" space exploration game where you hop from planet to planet discovering things, with a lot of procedurally-generated content and environments. The game is going to be a prequel to BGE. In the 9 years since BGE they tried doing a story-first design model but that didn't work, so they completely scrapped that and started over, saying they were going to start with fun gameplay mechanics and build the story on top of that. It will probably be several years until the game even resembles anything playable but in the meantime they want people to pay into an "open development" process where players can be "Space Monkey" testers as they develop vehicles, weapons, gameplay systems, etc.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is going to be

Eh, doubtful

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Beyond Good and Evil 2 trailer just made me want a full movie like that trailer instead of an actual game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/20/hackg-u-last-recode-headed-westward-late-2017-ps4-pc/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

The Beyond Good and Evil 2 trailer just made me want a full movie like that trailer instead of an actual game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcIlQFPbPnM

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like Sony didn't have many big announcement but an hour long conference that was all trailers with maybe 3 minutes of talking still puts it far from being the possible worst. Hell, even for this year it was worse than a max of two conferences.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I liked the Splatoon 2 World Championships, and the footage of Mario Odyssey

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
haha wow bioware's new game is a third person game with space jetpacks and three power buttons, where have i seen that before except now it's an MMO. yay...?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Looper posted:

I liked the Splatoon 2 World Championships, and the footage of Mario Odyssey

Why did the japanese team wear cough masks, are they sickly? are they pretending to be an elite faction of villains from a Shonen anime/manga?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

haha wow bioware's new game is a third person game with space jetpacks and three power buttons, where have i seen that before except now it's an MMO. yay...?

Destiny made a lot money welcome to the world of 'games as a service'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cough masks really aren't uncommon in japan, even just casually walking around. large populations in small city streets mean it's easy to spread germs, so people usually wear them when they just feel vaguely sick. plus some nerdy people use them as a fashion statement, or to hide their identity when they post guitar covers on niconico or whatever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like this games as a service thing is going to hit diminishing returns at some point since people won't have time to play them. There isn't room in the market for so many games that do that.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I propose that all MMO shooters be referred to as Huxleylikes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

I feel like this games as a service thing is going to hit diminishing returns at some point since people won't have time to play them. There isn't room in the market for so many games that do that.

The late 00's MMO boom can attest to that

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Destiny made a lot money welcome to the world of 'games as a service'.

The worst part is probably that sales have been hurt by it. A lot of games have gone from "buy during a sale" to "skip completely" because by the time the price is down the playerbase has abandoned the game for something else and you're left with an empty game filled with loot boxes. I'm expecting pubg to hit that soon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

There already isn't, it's how stuff like For Honor loses 95% of its playerbase in five months and every new MOBA that isn't LoL/Dota or team-based FPS that isn't Overwatch immediately goes belly up. Why waste my time acquiring 10,000 credit hats in New Game when I already know and have lots of hats in Existing Game? Bioware is one of the few developers that has enough fans to build a community around but Andromeda probably did wonders for its reputation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Everyone has been saying "games as a service" recently that I just remembered that Sega stands for Service Games

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Grapplejack posted:

The worst part is probably that sales have been hurt by it. A lot of games have gone from "buy during a sale" to "skip completely" because by the time the price is down the playerbase has abandoned the game for something else and you're left with an empty game filled with loot boxes. I'm expecting pubg to hit that soon.

Like that Modern Warfare remaster is finally getting a standalone release at the end of this month for forty dollars. But is that with all the micro-transaction loot box poo poo they added in after release?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone has been saying "games as a service" recently that I just remembered that Sega stands for Service Games

wait until you find out about namco and capcom

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Like that Modern Warfare remaster is finally getting a standalone release at the end of this month for forty dollars. But is that with all the micro-transaction loot box poo poo they added in after release?

Do you really need to ask that?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Ancapcom

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

I know that Capcom is Captain Commander, so is Namco 'Nam Commando?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

Ubisoft is actually a portmanteau of "national biscuit company"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Lol, expect them to double down on it for all the people that were waiting for it to release stand alone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think i'm probably gonna stop drinking alcohol entirely :(

in the past 2 years i've barely drank any alcohol because i've been having a lot of dental work (and therefore a lot of painkillers) and i'm not dumb enough to drink even a single beer while taking acetaminophen (my dentist stubbornly refusing to give me percodan, which is oxycodone and aspirin, instead of hydrocodone and acetaminophen, or give me whatever they call hydrocodone/aspirin)

last night i had literally less than half a beer and i felt a weird kinda-hangover this morning (it's gone now, but still)

i don't seem to have any of the really obvious signs of liver damage but i'm a hypochondriac already and to be perfectly honest i don't even like how alcohol makes me feel anymore

oh well. at least weed doesn't involve the liver.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Nine Tenacious Dogs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Atari is a Japanese word, they were the first dedicated weebs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

i think i'm probably gonna stop drinking alcohol entirely :(

in the past 2 years i've barely drank any alcohol because i've been having a lot of dental work (and therefore a lot of painkillers) and i'm not dumb enough to drink even a single beer while taking acetaminophen (my dentist stubbornly refusing to give me percodan, which is oxycodone and aspirin, instead of hydrocodone and acetaminophen, or give me whatever they call hydrocodone/aspirin)

last night i had literally less than half a beer and i felt a weird kinda-hangover this morning (it's gone now, but still)

i don't seem to have any of the really obvious signs of liver damage but i'm a hypochondriac already and to be perfectly honest i don't even like how alcohol makes me feel anymore

oh well. at least weed doesn't involve the liver.

I haven't ever been able to drink alcohol thanks to my medication. I've gotten drunk exactly twice in my lifetime (both times I deliberately didn't take my meds for like a week so I could do it).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

And to think people laughed at Blade Runner for displaying Atari so prominently in 1982. Ridley Scott knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

what does 'powered by pc technology' mean anyway isnt every console powered by pc technology

• Locked thread