Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

silence_kit posted:

Doctors in the US make so much money. But whenever this subject comes up in this thread, the consensus is 'can't cut pay for doctors! gotta pay the doctors!'. I think people in this thread are either doctors, are married to a doctor, or have watched one too many medical dramas on TV.

To become a doctor in the US right now, most people have to incur large amounts of student debt and go through an insanely competitive academic track that, depending on how ambitious you (or your family are) starts at around age 14. 6 year medical tracks are especially competitive, so you're likely looking at 8 years of school just to get the MD (which isn't a degree that easily takes you into other jobs). Depending on your desired specialty, you could have multiple residency stints (and maybe fellowships) as well as multiple board certification examinations to make yourself desirable to a rather frustrating patient market.

Upon becoming employable, you will then spend normal business hours and on-call stints servicing a wide spectrum of anxious sick people who may or may not be able and willing to pay you once you actually provide your services. If your field is one where you have to join insurer provider networks to be solvent, your income will be getting continually squeezed by private insurers (who may audit you at any point if your billing patterns are "suspicious" and require you to hire outside counsel) and your diagnoses will often be second-guessed in an effort to control costs and justify claim rehections. You may need to pay for staff (or outsourcing) just to deal with all the billing paperwork.

And don't forget about needing to pay for malpractice insurance and litigation-related risks.

So with all that, doctors do feel a pretty strong to get paid. I'm not denying that everyone needs to take some pain in order to have a saner, more humane healthcare system, but I think you're being a bit flippant on why doctors get defensive about cost-cutting talk when they're often the ones bearing the brunt of the cuts and the first ones that patients blow up at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Brony Car posted:

To become a doctor in the US right now, most people have to incur large amounts of student debt and go through an insanely competitive academic track that, depending on how ambitious you (or your family are) starts at around age 14. 6 year medical tracks are especially competitive, so you're likely looking at 8 years of school just to get the MD (which isn't a degree that easily takes you into other jobs). Depending on your desired specialty, you could have multiple residency stints (and maybe fellowships) as well as multiple board certification examinations to make yourself desirable to a rather frustrating patient market.

Upon becoming employable, you will then spend normal business hours and on-call stints servicing a wide spectrum of anxious sick people who may or may not be able and willing to pay you once you actually provide your services. If your field is one where you have to join insurer provider networks to be solvent, your income will be getting continually squeezed by private insurers (who may audit you at any point if your billing patterns are "suspicious" and require you to hire outside counsel) and your diagnoses will often be second-guessed in an effort to control costs and justify claim rehections. You may need to pay for staff (or outsourcing) just to deal with all the billing paperwork.

And don't forget about needing to pay for malpractice insurance and litigation-related risks.

So with all that, doctors do feel a pretty strong to get paid. I'm not denying that everyone needs to take some pain in order to have a saner, more humane healthcare system, but I think you're being a bit flippant on why doctors get defensive about cost-cutting talk when they're often the ones bearing the brunt of the cuts and the first ones that patients blow up at.

Perhaps part of a rollout should include something approximating a debt-forgiveness program for doctors participating in the program.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

silence_kit posted:

I know that many posters in this thread like to solely blame health insurance companies for the American health care system, but it is not just the health insurance companies--everybody in the health care industry, including doctors, would have to take a haircut, and rich/middle class people would have to accept lower standards of care in an affordable single-payer system.

Doctors in the US make so much money. But whenever this subject comes up in this thread, the consensus is 'can't cut pay for doctors! gotta pay the doctors!'. I think people in this thread are either doctors, are married to a doctor, or have watched one too many medical dramas on TV.

All the doctors in the US just agreed with you and decided to cut their income to $100,000 from the average of $200,000.

We just lowered the overall cost of health care in the US by 2.3%. High fives all around.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The average salary increase and tax treament of doctors in the U.S. outweighs the total debt they accrue after about 2.5 years.

That is an extremely good trade-off.

If you drop out of your last year of medical school, then you're boned. But pretending that student debt is the reason doctors get paid so much and justifies their groaning is silly.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I remember a poster in one of these threads complaining 'if you graduate last in your medical school class, you might have to accept a position in a less lucrative specialty in the Midwest/South, where you'll only get low 6 figures coming out of school.' I can't think of many other fields where you can almost flunk out of school and basically come out with a 6 figure salary guaranteed for life.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lote posted:

All the doctors in the US just agreed with you and decided to cut their income to $100,000 from the average of $200,000.

We just lowered the overall cost of health care in the US by 2.3%. High fives all around.

Reducing the cost of healthcare in the U.S. by 2.3% would save more money than the entire annual budget of the NHS in England, Scotland, Ireland, and France.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The average salary increase and tax treament of doctors in the U.S. outweighs the total debt they accrue after about 2.5 years.

If you drop out of your last year of medical school, then you're boned. But pretending that student debt is the reason doctors get paid so much and justifies their groaning is silly.

How is that possible considering an MD gets about 50k-60k/year for those 2.5 years?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Brony Car posted:

So sell it on that! "Doctors, would you like to fire most of your office staff? Think of the money you could save! Tired of deadbeat patients? We pay, guaranteed by the US government! Simplify your life so you can get down to what you do best - doctoring."

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

It's not just the student debt. Residency and fellowship hours are pretty brutal (with low salaries in comparison to the work you're doing) and the costs of maintaining a practice are susbtantial, although not necessarily obvious.

It's also compounded by the fact that many doctors are seeing classmates go into finance or other business sectors that are making even more while not being told to take one for the team. One can easily feel picked on unfairly in that kind of situation.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Brony Car posted:

Lol, people in other jobs who get paid a lot have to manage other people and work a lot too

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Reducing the cost of healthcare in the U.S. by 2.3% would save more money than the entire annual budget of the NHS in England, Scotland, Ireland, and France.

No. Where are you getting these numbers?

Healthcare spending in the USA is $3.4 Trillion per year. 2% is nowhere near the budget for the NHS of the U.K., let alone Ireland and France.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

BarbarianElephant posted:

So sell it on that! "Doctors, would you like to fire most of your office staff? Think of the money you could save! Tired of deadbeat patients? We pay, guaranteed by the US government! Simplify your life so you can get down to what you do best - doctoring."

Most of my doctor friends and relatives (including some lifelong Republicans) have gotten on the single payer train because of this. They don't see any other way out that doesn't turn the medical profession into an inhumane sweatshop.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

evilweasel posted:

There is no reason to think a single-payer system would require people to give up the ability to obtain private care outside the system if they so choose. It is not politically possible to pass a system that doesn't because a large majority of Americans have health coverage and won't risk losing it to something that hasn't yet been proven. You can eventually push out all but the highest of the high-end private care once it's been proven, but you can't start off with forcing everyone onto the new system. You have to entice them onto it.

I'd like to sign-up for Medicaid please :shepspends:

I dont want to be raped by an insurance company for going to get treatment I need.

I want to hand the doctor my card and know I will not be denied.

If I'm in ungodly accident/taken by ambulance I want to know I wont be put into bankruptcy.

I want to know my employees will get the same.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 20, 2017

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

BlueBlazer posted:

If I'm in ungodly accident/taken by ambulance I want to know I wont be put into bankruptcy.

Anecdote -

I was in a nasty car wreck and state trooper called an ambulance in and I had to very forcefully deny them from taking me to the hospital while concussed with a bleeding scalp wound. This was during the recession and I had no insurance and was doing piece work to get by, I could not have afforded the ambulance ride and had to stumble through getting the tow-truck driver to take me home.

It was one of the worst days of my life and not because I was injured, but because if that ambulance took me and I was treated I'd have been in bankruptcy for years. I was a hair away from loosing consciousness the whole time, and knew if I blacked out it was over. The fear of being in medical debt for the next 10 years was more than the fact if I passed out my brain would swell up and I'd die.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BlueBlazer posted:

I'd like to sign-up for Medicaid please :shepspends:

I want to hand the doctor my card and know I will not be denied.

These are far from compatible with each other.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Doctor salaries are not a problem. Medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, and hospitals are the suppliers of the majority of healthcare dollars. The professional services doctors charge are a small portion of the total spend.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

baquerd posted:

These are far from compatible with each other.

I didn't say every doctor. Farnsworth Archinbold's doctor is not going to treat me.

I'll go to a hole in the wall, I'm ok with that. It's better then roulette I currently experience now.

I had Applecare (Obamacare/Medicaid in WA) and didn't have any issue finding a care provider.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Reik posted:

Doctor salaries are not a problem. Medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, and hospitals are the suppliers of the majority of healthcare dollars. The professional services doctors charge are a small portion of the total spend.

Doctors did, however, block all attempts at reforming the employer paid system until it was too late. Three generations of Americans know nothing outside of "good respectable people have their employers pay for it and not government."

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Peven Stan posted:

Doctors did, however, block all attempts at reforming the employer paid system until it was too late. Three generations of Americans know nothing outside of "good respectable people have their employers pay for it and not government."

The current generation knows "I can't afford a doctor and I cant get a company to hire me that has an insurance plan."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Look at the classifieds in your local paper, there are a lot of positions that guarantee 75% of hours offered and if you work it out golly it always comes out to no health benefits.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BlueBlazer posted:

The current generation knows "I can't afford a doctor and I cant get a company to hire me that has an insurance plan."

And even then, the employer - backed insurance could just tell you to go gently caress yourself and not cover anything.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Arglebargle III posted:

Look at the classifieds in your local paper, there are a lot of positions that guarantee 75% of hours offered and if you work it out golly it always comes out to no health benefits.

Or like in my situation they offer it but don't contribute, thus bumping me into the "family glitch" so I cant get subsidies for my family of 4.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some encouraging news:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/877250763373907968

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

I'm really curious what is in the bill that it's making both Cruz/Paul and Murkowski/Collins say no.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

What the gently caress? Cruz? Paul?

Isn't Cruz writing the bill?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

empty whippet box posted:

No, he's just one of the 13 Senators who is allowed to view the bill in the working group.

Nobody knows which of those 13 are actively drafting it (Mike Lee is in the group and claims to not know all the details of what is in the bill) or how much each person is contributing.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Skeptical because I'm not sure how you can get those particular no's together like that.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

I'm really curious what is in the bill that it's making both Cruz/Paul and Murkowski/Collins say no.

I know this kind of speculation is just useless but literally only those people and maybe their staff know if those are hard no's or "pay attention to me" no's

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spoiler warning: they'll make it more evil to get the Cruz wing on-board, and then Murkowski wing will fold like cheap suits.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Office Pig posted:

Skeptical because I'm not sure how you can get those particular no's together like that.

A bill can be too terrible for a moderate and not terrible enough for the King of Flies.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you Portman

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Zachack posted:

A bill can be too terrible for a moderate

debatable

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cruz is going to vote no and then use that as a platform when he primaries Trump in 2020

"I voted to save your healthcare"

Any "no" vote is a potential candidate

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

EugeneJ posted:

Cruz is going to vote no and then use that as a platform when he primaries Trump in 2020

"I voted to save your healthcare"

Any "no" vote is a potential candidate

He is also trying to go hard right to avoid a primary at home in 2018.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Paul literally exists to vote No on absolutely everything that doesn't instantly dissolve the Federal Government.

Cruz is a real surprise though.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
please BASED rand paul and Lyin' Ted save our mothers and fathers from death for all the wrong reasons

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I dunno that I'd consider Topher Spiro a hugely reliable source, here. Like, I'm not saying he's lying, and it's good news that they don't have the votes atm, but he's definitely one inclined to slant things his way. Pretty cautious about how hard those "no" commitments are.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

eviltastic posted:

I dunno that I'd consider Topher Spiro a hugely reliable source, here. Like, I'm not saying he's lying, and it's good news that they don't have the votes atm, but he's definitely one inclined to slant things his way. Pretty cautious about how hard those "no" commitments are.

Yeah, I'm pretty pessimistic that any republican senator is going to willingly be labeled "The person who saved Obamacare" when push comes to shove.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Has anyone noted that John McCain's vote on AHCA is going to kill more Americans than the VietCong ever did?*

Why aren't the Democrats pushing this in his face every minute?

* American casualties in Vietnam war: 58,200
* AHCA deaths per year estimated at ~24,000
* Therefore every ~2.4 years the AHCA yields one Vietnam War worth of dead Americans.

(AHCA cuts will probably be implemented over time which screws with the projection at first, but whatever. In the long run, the AHCA is gonna kill more Americans than Vietnam.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Has anyone noted that John McCain's vote on AHCA is going to kill more Americans than the VietCong ever did?*

Why aren't the Democrats pushing this in his face every minute?

Voters don't really care that someone poor from somewhere else might die. The Democrats need to work on the "Your healthcare will suck because of this bill, even if you are covered by work" angle.