Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The thing for me is they're getting pretty close to beating a dead horse with that point though.

It wouldn't be as much of a disappointment if they hadn't clearly run out of ideas for the other part of the show. As others have pointed out, Mike's story was basically dropped and his scenes turned into boring universe building at the end of this season. They really have nothing to do with Gus because he and the cartel are already in the stalemate we know them to be in during BB. Nacho's machinations against Hector sort of came out of nowhere and the payoff was delivered to us far too cleanly compared to how these things usually go in this world.

To be fair I really enjoyed Howard's arc post meltdown. The scene where he tells Jimmy to bring a tin cup next time is one of the best in the series and a much stronger piece of development for Jimmy than his final scene with Chuck.

I'm still enjoying the show a lot but I can't deny these complaints have some validity. Hector's stroke really did come across as pretty anti-climactic for such a big moment.

But there's so much about this show that's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Seems pretty obvious that when they find out what happened with Chuck, Jimmy's going to be either in denial or outright insensitive, and that's gonna be that

That doesn't seem very likely to me. After his last visit with Chuck, guilt seems like a more likely response. I can't see Chuck's suicide being the immediate cause of their split, some more stuff's gotta happen first.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
What if Irene is related to Walt somehow? Maybe she is Skylers mother?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

There's only one person that is justifiably burnt out on this show and it's not any of the viewers.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

People probably wouldn't know Chuck intentionally kicked over that lantern

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Hi I'm here to say that Dave Porter fuckin owns.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Unless they really tie in well in season 4 I don't see how Mike and Gus fit into the show at all. It kinda feels like how they treated Gandalf and co in the Hobbit prequels -- they go on and on about this mysterious looming evil which eventually leads to a confrontation with Sauron, but we know nothing comes of it in the end since its a prequel series. We know Mike ends up working for Gus (and hes already on his payroll so we are halfway there already) and we know Hector is going to end up in the wheelchair. We also know that the situation will remain deadlocked when we meet up with Gus and Co. again in BB. The only real tension is what will happen to Nacho and his dad and while I like Nacho I'm not connected enough with his character to shed many tears if he buys it. Gus was wasted in this season -- he had that one good scene with his employees midway through and then he shows up once an episode afterwords just to let you know he's around.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fast Luck posted:

People probably wouldn't know Chuck intentionally kicked over that lantern

He's a Chicago style deep dish now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cnut the Great posted:

The only thing I didn't buy was Kim not being all that upset about what Jimmy did to Irene. Like, apparently they had an off-screen conversation about it and then it's movie night?

She's just more chill about everything now that she's on The Good Stuff.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Quite the opposite of evil, Howard is actually Jesus

Spotted this too.

Also, lol at "the answer is always... the UH GOOOODS STUFF!"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but

Missing the explicit reveal both times through is pretty bad.

Jeez Louise, I watched it once and was making dinner and taking something out of the oven when the scene happened. I referred to myself as an idiot in the post I made. Then I get posts like this and the spoon-fed guy. You jabronis are desperate for another Mikes Voice

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 20, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Cnut the Great posted:

He was mean to Jimmy for the same reason he tore his house apart. He's desperately trying to find the core source of his anxiety so he can tear it out and make it stop buzzing away at his brain, even if that means destroying everything he cares about in the process. He's loving insane, and it's tragic.

That said, the reason his words to Jimmy hurt so much is because, as usual, there' s a lot of truth to them. Chuck doesn't even try to deny that Jimmy's feelings of remorse are genuine. There's no sense that Chuck is just trying to tear Jimmy down to make himself feel better like he usually does. Chuck hates himself right now more than he ever hated Jimmy and doesn't give a poo poo about anything anymore. He's just giving a cold, emotionless, and brutally accurate appraisal of Jimmy's nature as a human being, because why not?

The only lie in his whole takedown of Jimmy was his claim that Jimmy never mattered that much to him. The cold open of him reading the Mabel book to Jimmy as a child proves that he's always cared about Jimmy. His realization of what a callous monster he's become, and the fact that he's unable to escape his own vindictive and jealous nature and just love people like a normal person, is what ultimately drives him to commit suicide, I think.
This is a good post and pretty much sums up what I thought of Chuck as well. The way I view the Chuck moment is, at first he just wanted to find the source of electricity, and then when he noticed how he was literally tearing down his house destroying everything, he finally snapped. With the house being a direct metaphor for his life of course. This probably wasn't intentional but I like how the exact place Jimmy pointed out a fire hazard (in court), is where the fire started.

anime was right posted:

people on the verge of suicide are often pushed over the edge when reminded of it as an option. people often commit suicide in waves because of the reminder.

This is true, and I read somewhere that newspapers stopped reporting suicides because they noticed after a major suicide report there would always be a increase.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm still enjoying the show a lot but I can't deny these complaints have some validity. Hector's stroke really did come across as pretty anti-climactic for such a big moment.

But there's so much about this show that's so good.

I actually thought the leadup to the stroke was interesting, in that the Hector/Cartel was essentially a parallel to the Chuck/Hamlin situation. Of course the fact that Hector would suffer from stroke was not going to be a surprise in any way (even if you haven't watched BB). Both Chuck and Hector expect an unreasonable amount of deference due to the fact that they helped build their organizations from the ground up, which they didn't get when they became liabilities because they had pissed off so many people being abrasive assholes.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

I actually thought the leadup to the stroke was interesting, in that the Hector/Cartel was essentially a parallel to the Chuck/Hamlin situation. Of course the fact that Hector would suffer from stroke was not going to be a surprise in any way (even if you haven't watched BB). Both Chuck and Hector expect an unreasonable amount of deference due to the fact that they helped build their organizations from the ground up, which they didn't get when they became liabilities because they had pissed off so many people being abrasive assholes.

I also think Hector's a lot like Tuco in that his hotheadedness lead to his downfall. Maybe the surprise is that it went down exactly the way Nacho intended for it to go. And Gus seemed to sense that something was up when Nacho handed the officer the medicine. I'm kind of glad it wasn't an insanely grandiose accident because Chuck was really the headliner here

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

RedSpider posted:

LOL at the suicide prevention hotline.

Why the gently caress would anyone ever think of doing this? (the LOLing I mean)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

echronorian posted:

Anyone else feeling a little over it? I didn't like Jimmy going back on his old lady double cross and undoing all the work of this season to show him slide into Sauls shoes, Chuck killing himself felt out of place, Mike did nothing this season (let's be honest he's the loveable heart of this show) and though I like nacho his Storyline with Salamanca took so many episodes to get where you know it'll go.

How is Chuck's suicide out of place? His entire life on the show up to this point was him waiting until he could get better and get back to practicing law. He was still interacting with Howard and influencing how the firm was run. When he thought he was starting to get better, he was excited about getting back to practicing law. Over the past few episodes he lost everything. He thought his illness was getting better, but he realized that it really isn't. Even if he did get better, he can't practice law anymore, because his malpractice insurance would be through the roof. Even if he dealt with that, Howard pushed him out of the firm. Because of that, he pushed back at Howard and lost his only friend and really burned any bridges he had at getting back into law. He pushed away his only family. Even with the 9 million dollars, Chuck has nothing left in his life. It is just him and his mental illness forever. No friends, no family, and most importantly, no law. If you can't see how someone in that position would end up killing himself, you're not paying attention.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't even think the power meter was actually running.

That spinning disc is how the power meter works. As you use electricity, the disc spins. It goes through a crazy gear reduction which raises the number of kilowatt hours you've used. Here's a cool video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SZDHgrysv8

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 20, 2017

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kim is definitely going to have trouble with Oxy.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

:yeah: that track during Chuck's breakdown was amazing.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Nacho's machinations against Hector sort of came out of nowhere and the payoff was delivered to us far too cleanly compared to how these things usually go in this world.

Hard disagree there- they make it pretty clear early on Nacho is clever, not thrilled about working for Salamanca, and loves his pa. Between all those things, the risks he takes to save his pa follow logically enough.

His plot went off pretty cleanly, but to be fair it was a pretty clever plan. Hector didn't intend to need hospitalization, and as Gus says, none of the cartel dudes are going to want to stick around when the ambulance arrives. Also, the universe is random! One thing that's great about this show is that it really could have gone either way- Nacho nearly kills Hector, or Nacho get's caught and is killed by Hector. So long as things don't always go right, a show's protagonists can have a victory or two every so often.

Other points are fine tho.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

That spinning disc is how the power meter works. As you use electricity, the disc spins. It goes through a crazy gear reduction which raises the number of kilowatt hours you've used. Here's a cool video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SZDHgrysv8
I'm saying I think Chuck was hallucinating the disc spinning.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

echronorian posted:

I think this show is going off the rails

totally

i can't believe they had uncle jack's gang kill howard. what a bunch of lame fanservice bullshit

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

So Chuck had an appointment Wednesday to get that electrical meter crap sorted out, and it's already been shown that he's fine with a car ride. Why didn't he take his millions and just go camping somewhere for a few days or gently caress, buy a cabin? At least until Wednesday? gently caress, live out there permanently!

I guess for Chuck the only thing keeping his energy allergy in check was the implication that he still had work to do, and right after getting fired, he loses all will to fight it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why didn't Chuck just call a private electrician instead of the electric company? Or a local handyman, like Mike for example.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have never before in my life yelled at a fictional character i'm gonna loving headbutt chuck

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah i think my only reservations so far is jimmy saving irene, i feel like he took a half step forward towards saul and a full step back in this episode. it was the right thing to do, but he almost feels further from saul than when he started the season.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

graham cracker posted:

So Chuck had an appointment Wednesday to get that electrical meter crap sorted out, and it's already been shown that he's fine with a car ride. Why didn't he take his millions and just go camping somewhere for a few days or gently caress, buy a cabin? At least until Wednesday? gently caress, live out there permanently!

I guess for Chuck the only thing keeping his energy allergy in check was the implication that he still had work to do, and right after getting fired, he loses all will to fight it.

its a mental illness thing. you're trying desperately to find out what's wrong, and when it's the only thing in your life at the moment, you'll do anything to figure it out.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Its not actually about the electricity you dinguses it never was holy fffff

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You know for someone with a major electrical condition, Chuck knows very little about how electricity works. You'd think a lawyer as studious as Chuck would take some time to educate himself on these subjects of electrons and such. Boy, I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I kinda wish they hadn't called the last episode "Lantern" since the fire was so easily telegraphed. But they did a good job of subverting that with the suicide angle - definitely didn't see it coming. I thought for sure that when Chuck was tearing his house apart, he'd hit a gas line, cause a leak, then go to light his lantern later, causing an explosion.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Cromulent posted:

I kinda wish they hadn't called the last episode "Lantern" since the fire was so easily telegraphed.

you might even say they hung a lantern on it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

You know for someone with a major electrical condition, Chuck knows very little about how electricity works. You'd think a lawyer as studious as Chuck would take some time to educate himself on these subjects of electrons and such. Boy, I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

If Chuck's condition was real, he would be able to sense the source of the electricity. This proved beyond a shadow of of a doubt in his mind that his EHS was complete bullshit, and I don't think Chuck is the kind of guy who can admit when he's wrong. He will go to any length to prove to himself and others that what he says is true, such as the incident with the Mesa Verde address

I think he had that revelation after he tore up his house that he'd been living a lie for the last 3 years, and couldn't live with it, in that his condition was mental illness, not EHS

Spellman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 20, 2017

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

yeah i think my only reservations so far is jimmy saving irene, i feel like he took a half step forward towards saul and a full step back in this episode. it was the right thing to do, but he almost feels further from saul than when he started the season.
I feel like Jimmy becoming Saul isn't just about morals, but also about a complete and total willingness to play to his strengths as both Kim and Chuck suggested this episode.

Edit:

Trash Trick posted:

him getting good at being the hated scumbag lawyer is central to his character. Lying and exploiting your way to gains is different from being in the spotlight and reveling in it.

massive spider posted:

Yeah this is Jimmy realising that his do gooder persona is unsustainable. He's the very best at being bad. Saul Goodman is fun because he's an 'honest conman' persona, a guy who's obviously going to rip someone off but doesn't try to hide it.
Says it better than I did.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 20, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Spotted this too.

Also, lol at "the answer is always... the UH GOOOODS STUFF!"

Kim gunna become an addict, you heard it here first folks

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Spellman posted:

If Chuck's condition was real, he would be able to sense the source of the electricity. This proved beyond a shadow of of a doubt in his mind that his EHS was complete bullshit, and I don't think Chuck is the kind of guy who can admit when he's wrong. He will go to any length to prove to himself and others that what he says is true, such as the incident with the Mesa Verde address

I think he had that revelation after he tore up his house that he'd been living a lie for the last 3 years, and couldn't live with it, in that his condition was mental illness, not EHS

there was literally a moment in the conversation with jimmy where jimmy asked, roughly "and you didnt do anything wrong?" and chuck didn't answer. thats pretty much his entire undoing. hell, his mental illness is inventing a problem that isn't there for him to blame. dude destroys everything he touches and then never admits fault.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Kim gunna become an addict, you heard it here first folks

This leads to Badger which leads to Skinny Pete which leads to Saul defending them in court!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

there was literally a moment in the conversation with jimmy where jimmy asked, roughly "and you didnt do anything wrong?" and chuck didn't answer. thats pretty much his entire undoing. hell, his mental illness is inventing a problem that isn't there for him to blame. dude destroys everything he touches and then never admits fault.

i'm glad he dead

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Here's a debate. Did Jimmy kill Chuck simply by visiting him? Would Chuck have suffered his complete mental collapse if Jimmy had stayed resolved not to make amends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Before Chuck started tearing up his house he took an Ambien. Those things will gently caress you up good.

• Locked thread