Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

webmeister posted:

So I've been doing a bunch more videos about World Heritage sites (mentioned earlier up the page). I feel like I'm getting in a fairly good groove with them, and I've got a much better idea of what I need to do and say while on location. But I'm just wondering if anyone else has advice or recommendations? This is a recent video I did which I was pretty happy with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT0QngLe5R0

Would love to hear any feedback, positive or negative!

I'm far more an audio guy than video, but I'd say your voice is waay too quiet in the first shot. Are you using an on-camera mic? I'd suggest (assuming a low budget here) that you get one of the smaller Zoom audio recorders and a lavalier (lapel) mic. It'll mean you'll have to synch in post but it'll make you sound a lot better. This would also allow you to do a walk-and-talk for shots like the one starting at 2:05.

What kind of gear did you use for that time-lapse shot starting at 1:10? Some kind of improvised steadicam rig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

webmeister posted:

So I've been doing a bunch more videos about World Heritage sites (mentioned earlier up the page). I feel like I'm getting in a fairly good groove with them, and I've got a much better idea of what I need to do and say while on location. But I'm just wondering if anyone else has advice or recommendations? This is a recent video I did which I was pretty happy with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT0QngLe5R0

Would love to hear any feedback, positive or negative!

- Avoid script fonts in general, but especially for web delivery. If someone plays your video from a thumbnail they can't read poo poo.
- Audio is a tad wank in general. If you can't afford a zoom recorder like the other guy suggested, get a cheap lav mic for your cellphone and sync up in post.
- First shot has waaay too much headroom. Framing is decent otherwise.
- If you can bring a bounce card or a diffused LED light with you, it'll help a lot with shots like the one at 2:29. If not, turn around! You never want to shoot a subject in shadow against a window in full sunlight.
- Bed music is as generic as it gets. Try and find something a little more interesting or unique.
- Get more B-roll! You have a lot of opportunity for cool cutaways, take advantage of it.
- Your delivery and enthusiasm are great, keep it up!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Thanks both! A proper mic is definitely top of the shopping list, the main reason that I've held off buying one is simply because I wasn't sure initially how far I was going to take this project. But I'm well into it now so a mic is going to be purchase number one. With bounce cards, the only ones I'm really familiar with are the giant umbrella style ones from office/school portraits and the large foil ones that look like car windscreen shades. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that's fairly portable and useful when shooting with an iPhone?

Point definitely taken about script fonts and the generic music! I had a real hard time finding (free and non-copyright) music that wasn't even more generic corporate muzak or dubstep. Guess I'll have another look though!

Grand Prize Winner - that shot at 1:10 was actually done with the Hyperlapse app from Instagram. It does most the stabilization that my iPhone doesn't catch (though if you look closely in that shot you can still slightly see the bounce of my footsteps). Great app though, I'd recommend giving it a go if you want something quick and useful for time-lapse videography!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I'm in need of some advice about what to do next.

I'm a freelance video editor who wasn't previously at a production house or any other post facility. I know, I know. This happened purely by accident as I came back to the UK from teaching abroad and wanted a career change. My friend who is a cameraman said that he was also doing the editing on a show and he hated it so he'd split the payment if I did the editing to free himself up for more camera work so that's how I got in rather than the much more frequent runner upwards route. Turns out that I love editing and if I didn't do it to make money, I'd probably do it in my free time so I've been trying my hardest to break into somewhere on a permanent basis.

Since then (this was about 2-3 years ago) I moved back to a city I love - Bristol - but have found it really difficult to get consistent work. I've cut online content for some relatively well known brands (eBay, Amazon etc.) on behalf of a few post / animation houses here which has bolstered my CV a bit more. I got these jobs simply from cold calling and asking if they needed help either assistant editing / offline editing and they've all been happy with what I've done. In my free time I've learnt After Effects as well as Avid and will be focussing on getting fast at making motion graphics for quick turn-around projects when they come up as nearly everyone is asking for this.

As I know networking is 90% the battle but I was just wondering what you guys think would be a good next step. Should I start at the bottom and work upwards in a post house or am I now too old (34)? Should I just hang in there which has been the advice of some of my full-time editing friends? Should I move to London (which is where I'm originally from) and try my luck there since there's a much denser amount of post facilities?

My showreel is here and I'd really appreciate any feedback or advice. https://vimeo.com/203692386

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for a camera that does good 360° video for VR? I had a client ask about getting a 360° video for Oculus, and while it's something I'd like to get into there seems to be a new Kickstarter every week, with each new one promising to be the latest and greatest VR camera and totally not vaporware. I've been reading about the Vuze VR Camera, but it isn't due for release until June (and I'm admittedly very cautious of being an early adopter of any new cameras). And there's also the GoPro Fusion that was revealed at NAB, but again- not much is known about it, at this point. Suggestions?

frytechnician posted:

[snip]

My showreel is here and I'd really appreciate any feedback or advice. https://vimeo.com/203692386
You're definitely not "too old". :) Your success in this industry is highly influenced by your networking ability (like you said in your OP), your client management skills, your willingness to pick up on new things since the video editing world is constantly changing, and how willing you are to keep up with the latest trends in video and filming style. One of the most helpful things you can do is do side projects on your own constantly, whether it's for paid clients or for local charities/non-profits. As for moving from Bristol to London- I'm not sure what to suggest. I know that the cost of living in London is higher, but I don't have any firsthand experience with the videography opportunities in that area. But what I can tell you is that if you do decide to take the plunge and move to London, you'll want to have a solid portfolio of work behind you that you can immediately point to when pitching to Londoners.

Your showreel is solid, by the way. I liked it. For a guy who's "new" to the industry you're off to a strong start.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 8, 2017

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The post industry is pretty forgiving with age. Most who I know are well into their sixties and still get work and have adapted to NLE suites and so on.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Ok there's a fancy bug doing the rounds in the latest version of Premiere 17.1 where something misfires in the new cache cleanup setting and joyfully wipes everything that is your source footage.
No one is actually sure what is causing this to occur.

The main discussion appear to be here:
https://forums.adobe.com/message/9503050#9503050

Looking through it appears by setting his Media Cache Files directory as root RAID and then his media cache database one level down he caused the program to see everything as a cache file and wipe en masse when clicking the clear cache button.

Adobe's solution is to reset the cache to default and set it into another drive that's separate from your work file. There's a fix coming in the next week or so, so use this as a nice time to have backups at the ready.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

WebDog posted:

The post industry is pretty forgiving with age. Most who I know are well into their sixties and still get work and have adapted to NLE suites and so on.

The industry as a whole maybe, but post houses aren't really interested in older folks starting from the bottom. Also, if you're looking for edit work, post house aren't where you need to look, they just rent the rooms. You need to get into a production house.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I was just tasked with finding some way to have a searchable database / inventory of all of our content. Prior to this point we've just used a Google Docs spreadsheet and relied on people putting any content they created in that and adding descriptions / tags to it and now my boss wants something more robust and (somehow) easier. I'm not entirely convinced we can actually get people to input the content they create (there are maybe 10 of us spread across 3 countries), but ideally it could be some sort of form that could easily be filled out and then stored in a database that anyone could search / edit.

Any suggestions for software that may be able to do this?

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds

Asnorban posted:

I was just tasked with finding some way to have a searchable database / inventory of all of our content. Prior to this point we've just used a Google Docs spreadsheet and relied on people putting any content they created in that and adding descriptions / tags to it and now my boss wants something more robust and (somehow) easier. I'm not entirely convinced we can actually get people to input the content they create (there are maybe 10 of us spread across 3 countries), but ideally it could be some sort of form that could easily be filled out and then stored in a database that anyone could search / edit.

Any suggestions for software that may be able to do this?

My co-worker is actually looking into FileMaker for our large database of content. Other than that, Adobe has MAM (Media Asset Management) that we used to use.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Rusty Bodega posted:

My co-worker is actually looking into FileMaker for our large database of content. Other than that, Adobe has MAM (Media Asset Management) that we used to use.

Thanks, I'll research those.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I have a stupid little question. I use Adobe Premiere pretty constantly for tons of editting needs. I always render using high quality outputs and it takes a long time (maybe its overkill but thats another discussion).

I have a video clip of an interview I took. All I want to do is slice the beginning and end off to get rid of the mic checks and awkward camera sway. I don't need to re-render to a differnet FPS or resolution.

What's the best way to do this in premiere? I want to retain all the quality of the original, I don't really even want it to re-render, I just want to lop parts of the video off. I hope this question makes sense.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Knifegrab posted:

I have a stupid little question. I use Adobe Premiere pretty constantly for tons of editting needs. I always render using high quality outputs and it takes a long time (maybe its overkill but thats another discussion).

I have a video clip of an interview I took. All I want to do is slice the beginning and end off to get rid of the mic checks and awkward camera sway. I don't need to re-render to a differnet FPS or resolution.

What's the best way to do this in premiere? I want to retain all the quality of the original, I don't really even want it to re-render, I just want to lop parts of the video off. I hope this question makes sense.

You don't even need to use Premiere, you can do it in media encoder. Just go to export settings, set your in and out points, make sure the container is right that it's set to match source for the codec (it should do this by default) and you're done. Should export quickly too.

e: alternatively, if it's just h264 then you can use MPEG streamclip which is free and easy as setting in and out points and hitting trim.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 14, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Lizard Combatant posted:

You don't even need to use Premiere, you can do it in media encoder. Just go to export settings, set your in and out points, make sure the container is right that it's set to match source for the codec (it should do this by default) and you're done. Should export quickly too.

e: alternatively, if it's just h264 then you can use MPEG streamclip which is free and easy as setting in and out points and hitting trim.

Thank you, this looks perfect. Follow up question, what is the main difference between muxed and demuxed mp4s? I keep seeing those terms and have no idea what they mean.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Knifegrab posted:

Thank you, this looks perfect. Follow up question, what is the main difference between muxed and demuxed mp4s? I keep seeing those terms and have no idea what they mean.

Basically muxed just means various streams combined into a single file (ie, the mp4 container), it's your video, audio, subs, etc...
What are you using that asks you to select muxed or demuxed?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

Basically muxed just means various streams combined into a single file (ie, the mp4 container), it's your video, audio, subs, etc...
What are you using that asks you to select muxed or demuxed?

Oh nothing at the moment. I just keep hearing it.

Btw I am away from my work machine (getting footage) and I just realized, my files I think are saved on my dslr as .mov's. Is there a program like mpeg streamclip for mov?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Knifegrab posted:

Oh nothing at the moment. I just keep hearing it.

Btw I am away from my work machine (getting footage) and I just realized, my files I think are saved on my dslr as .mov's. Is there a program like mpeg streamclip for mov?

Streamclip should work fine with mov (the container) unless the codec (the actual video) is not supported, such as prores. Do you know what codec you're using? If not, what camera have you shot it on? And finally, Windows or Mac?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

Streamclip should work fine with mov (the container) unless the codec (the actual video) is not supported, such as prores. Do you know what codec you're using? If not, what camera have you shot it on? And finally, Windows or Mac?

70D. Windows.

Also one other unrelated question. Can I export a sequence somewhere in premiere to me used in other places? Not like render it out, but just save the sequence on some Central place. Previously I open the old project, copy the sequence, open the new project and paste the sequence and that works but is a hassle.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

70D. Windows.
Can I export a sequence somewhere in premiere to me used in other places?
Yes if you select the sequence in your project bin. Under file > Export you can pick Selection as Premiere project.

Or did you mean export it as a file for another program? Exporting as an XML can do that.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Knifegrab posted:

70D. Windows.

Also one other unrelated question. Can I export a sequence somewhere in premiere to me used in other places? Not like render it out, but just save the sequence on some Central place. Previously I open the old project, copy the sequence, open the new project and paste the sequence and that works but is a hassle.

1. Ok cool, you should be fine with streamclip.

2. What WebDog said.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

WebDog posted:

Yes if you select the sequence in your project bin. Under file > Export you can pick Selection as Premiere project.

Or did you mean export it as a file for another program? Exporting as an XML can do that.

I have it selected in the project bin. But under file -> export I only see the options: Media, EDL, AAF and Final Cut Pro XML. I don't see "Selection" And no this is for importing into another project within premiere, not another program.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I suspect you might be using an older version of Premiere. This what you should be seeing with the sequence selected.

Notice the Bin panel is highlighted blue and is active. Clicking export with other panels or the timeline active will grey out these options.

Alternatively if you have a sequence you want to import into a fresh project, you can use the Media Browser window to navigate to where the project file is and then via dynamic linking import a select sequence and it's files in.

You can also do cool things like reference another sequence in read only mode which then can be refreshed to update any changes.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm looking to set up a network environment for (4) video editors to link to and work from. Mixed media up to 4k, editing with Premiere.

Anybody have any recommendations for a NAS or something similar?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

magiccarpet posted:

I'm looking to set up a network environment for (4) video editors to link to and work from. Mixed media up to 4k, editing with Premiere.

Anybody have any recommendations for a NAS or something similar?

How much storage do you need? We have this exact setup with a QNAP with 10GbE connections. Basically each machine's office is wired for 10GbE that goes to a 10GbE switch that's connected to the QNAP with 100TB of storage (50TB that backs up to a mirrored 50TB partition).

We work in Premiere with up to 6K footage pretty drat flawlessly. I'll get the exact models today.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Surely just a coincidence?

PearlJamFan
Jun 30, 2008

Don't see some men as half empty, I see them half full of shit.

melon cat posted:

Any recommendations for a camera that does good 360° video for VR? I had a client ask about getting a 360° video for Oculus, and while it's something I'd like to get into there seems to be a new Kickstarter every week, with each new one promising to be the latest and greatest VR camera and totally not vaporware. I've been reading about the Vuze VR Camera, but it isn't due for release until June (and I'm admittedly very cautious of being an early adopter of any new cameras). And there's also the GoPro Fusion that was revealed at NAB, but again- not much is known about it, at this point. Suggestions?

I bought the LG 360 cam. Pretty decent 360 video camera. Only downfall or annoyance is that it stores the videos onboard the camera and the only way to transfer them is through your phone...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

BonoMan posted:

How much storage do you need? We have this exact setup with a QNAP with 10GbE connections. Basically each machine's office is wired for 10GbE that goes to a 10GbE switch that's connected to the QNAP with 100TB of storage (50TB that backs up to a mirrored 50TB partition).

We work in Premiere with up to 6K footage pretty drat flawlessly. I'll get the exact models today.

I think 30tb is sufficient, as the material will be quickly backed up and pushed to another network.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I have a static descriptor title in my adobe premeire in the top left, I am trying to get a line to point from the text to an object in the scene. That is easy enough but I want the line to stay fixed at the description but follow the object in the scene. I know I can do this by painstakingly rotating and scaling the line but that seems like a nightmare on this long of a clip.

Is there any easy way to make a line anchored on one side but following an object on the other? I know how to do keyframe motioning so I know how to get something to follow but I don't know how to get something to dynamically "stretch" like this easily.

I do not have after effects unfortunately :(

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Bad news: that sort of thing is what After Effects was made for.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Chitin posted:

Bad news: that sort of thing is what After Effects was made for.

Welp time to jump off a bridge :suicide:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Knifegrab posted:

Welp time to jump off a bridge :suicide:

At the very least, have you moved the anchor point of the line to the text end? That way you worry about rotation and length.

Does it need to look like it's perfectly tracking the object? Or just generally pointing at it. If it's the latter then you can do an OK job in premiere.

I'd start by key framing the first and last frames, then one right in the middle, then half way between the first and middle and the middle and last, then half way between those, etc... Keep adding points half way until it looks OK.

If it needs to look tracked... Can you get after effects? Free trial, back of a truck?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

At the very least, have you moved the anchor point of the line to the text end? That way you worry about rotation and length.

Does it need to look like it's perfectly tracking the object? Or just generally pointing at it. If it's the latter then you can do an OK job in premiere.

I'd start by key framing the first and last frames, then one right in the middle, then half way between the first and middle and the middle and last, then half way between those, etc... Keep adding points half way until it looks OK.

If it needs to look tracked... Can you get after effects? Free trial, back of a truck?

Or pay a $30 one month rental fee. Sucks to do it for just one effect, but it's a solution!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

Or pay a $30 one month rental fee. Sucks to do it for just one effect, but it's a solution!

No, send it to me. I'll do it for $29.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

No, send it to me. I'll do it for $29.

I'll do it for $28

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

I'll do it for $28

$27.50!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

$1

Are we on the Price is Right?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

There you go Knifegrab, you can't get a better deal than that. Mods please enforce.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Name that tune!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is there a video editing reason to use a computer monitor over an HDTV? I need a new monitor and might just go for a TV since they're cheaper and don't seem to be that different settings-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Monitors can have wider colour gamuts. A HDTV is often locked off at colourspace called Rec.709.

Basically you can't broadcast 1:1 colour information as it's too much info. So the full range is limited to a middle ground that is palatable.

But many consumer cameras will shoot in 709 as it's much faster to process the bare minimum of colour ranges than the whole lot. And it saves on data.

If you're just cutting YouTube stuff or holiday videos then an HDTV isn't going to be a major issue. But there are some caveats.

Professionally we use monitors calibrated to 709 to test how our footage would look as ungraded footage is often grey before we pass it through a look up table to make it look "right".

We swap back to the full range for accuracy in grading and finishing. Despite finishing in 709 for most things if we tried to grade 709 straight, you'll run into issues as the colour ranges are limited and clipped. Blacks will look too black etc etc and can't get lifted.

However nothing wrong with using a TV for external display if you're cutting consumer stuff. But you have to realise you may also have scaling issues as most graphic cards will struggle to output over 3K smoothly so the image may be blown up.

And then working out how to calibrate the TV to look correct as most try to pretty up their image with sharpness or frame interpolation.