Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
If there are 2-3 maps that are too complex for QM, or have an increased chance of loving you over based on another player's character selection (and we're assuming the laziest Blizzard of all, where they won't fix those maps or characters) I think the easiest fix woud be to remove the maps from the QM rotation. Leave them in draft where players can react.

Nah, let's just use rotations as our way of forcing meta shifts in ranked play. Gotta sell more dudes and keep the meta from getting stale and even balance patches are increasingly too much :effort: for that.

Providing any sort of feedback other than sometimes listing "Difficulty: hard" that a character is a liability in QM might also be good. I mean that QM Illidan or Nova main is always gonna go for their waifu, but at least you might have less of the "lol I just got Medivh in a box and loving suck mate, how should I have known what his buttons do?" if the game flashes big red warnings that you're gonna gently caress up and they're all gonna laugh at you, when you queue as them.

edit:

beejay posted:

I dunno what that patch note about lowering personal rank adjustments was because I'm like 20 games into the new season, just under 50% win rate and already at -6 per game. Just get rid of this garbage poo poo.

Well, presumably it's to reduce the whole "We're gonna have our finger on the scale all season" feeling some of us felt last time. So instead of getting that penalty for the next 40 games you'll only have it for the 20 or so! But really, it's just a dumb admission that their individual MMR system doesn't really work in a team game like this and that's why they obscure it.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AlmightyBob posted:

I miss beta abathur, where I could basically win a match on my own by ignoring my team

I build either for locusts, or if the matchmaking fucks my team out of a real healer, heals.

Does healbathur... actually... work?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Shortest Path posted:

It would avoid the situation of players picking characters that end up garbage on the map that they get randomed into. If you don't like the daily map, you can just not play qm that day and not have to worry about it on later days, instead of hoping you don't get randomed into a lovely one like Hanamura or Mines. Draft will still be random, so you have options for variety.

What are the downsides to this?

Just FYI, Splatoon did something similar to this. It launched with 2 out of 5 or 6 maps playable every 4 hours. It was awful. They bumped it up to 3 maps as the map pool got larger, and then a different 3 maps in competitive when that launched, but it was still not great. Having one map rotation every day would absolutely kill the QM queue.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

IMO they should change quick match to a single pre-defined map that rotates daily, which would solve a whole bunch of problems. QM would be so much better.

You're now in first place for the dumbest suggestion/post in this thread, congratulations!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Onean posted:

Just FYI, Splatoon did something similar to this. It launched with 2 out of 5 or 6 maps playable every 4 hours. It was awful. They bumped it up to 3 maps as the map pool got larger, and then a different 3 maps in competitive when that launched, but it was still not great. Having one map rotation every day would absolutely kill the QM queue.

Like I said shortly later, it would be better as an additional mode, so people who want to play situational characters like TLV can do so without getting utterly hosed by the random map if they don't want that.

I mean, they also need to do something about their egregiously lovely maps like Hanamura and BHB but :shrug:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Back in my day we only had one map, ever! And we liked it!

The only thing I miss from dota is Pudge. Stitches might look like him and yeah he has the hook skill, but they really don't play that similarly. Pudge is an apex predator, all the other heroes are prey. Early in the game, that hook coming out of the fog hits you, You Are hosed and you gonna get eated. Stitches hook does piddling damage, and his follow up is really lacking compared to Pudge.

The Stitches ult where you eat a hero and run away with them is hilarious and effective though, and the level 20 Hungry Hungry Stitches where you eat as many heroes as you can catch is one of my favorite level 20 talents. Goes really well with a self destructing D.Va meka.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Actually, having reconsidered the whole blind QM problem, they should just let you pick one or two maps to avoid like in SC2. Have it use the party leader's preferences in groups.

It would make queues take a bit longer probably, but it's a hell of a lot better than the current state of things for anyone who plays niche characters.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yo, what does the Q stand for in QM?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Actually, having reconsidered the whole blind QM problem, they should just let you pick one or two maps to avoid like in SC2. Have it use the party leader's preferences in groups.

It would make queues take a bit longer probably, but it's a hell of a lot better than the current state of things for anyone who plays niche characters.

Blizz had that in WC3 too. The HotS map pool is smaller than either of the RTS map pools though, isn't it? Maybe if we had a few more maps it would be enough not to slow down queue times too harshly, especially if you want to play the Bad Map that everyone always downvotes.

Would also be interesting to see a different player # map, like 2v2 or 3v3 (would gently caress up hero balance though wouldn't it?) or like someone said earlier a 2v8 brawl with wildly different hero power levels on purpose?

I did like the Hanamura intro brawl, was one lane map with single oayload, teams offense/defense. Felt like an actual Overwatch payload map. The mage duel map where everyone played boosted casters was neat too.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Like I said shortly later, it would be better as an additional mode, so people who want to play situational characters like TLV can do so without getting utterly hosed by the random map if they don't want that.

I mean, they also need to do something about their egregiously lovely maps like Hanamura and BHB but :shrug:

yes lets make another game mode to segregate the playerbase and lengthen queue times even further
and of course the best way to do this is to make a mode with a fixed map so the same heroes best suited to that map are picked and played in every game

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

p-hop posted:

Blizz had that in WC3 too. The HotS map pool is smaller than either of the RTS map pools though, isn't it? Maybe if we had a few more maps it would be enough not to slow down queue times too harshly, especially if you want to play the Bad Map that everyone always downvotes.

Admittedly, HotS has more maps than WoW has battlegrounds, and WoW has a two-map veto.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Tyrael chat, I'd like to see him have a spacesuit skin. It would go with his face-hiding behind the dark mask and give him a reason to be floating around :haw: Base could be white, one could be "cosmonaut" in CCCP red, and another could be a "sunshine" or "stardust" gold like in the movie Sunshine.

He could have a flag instead of a sword that he throws and plants for his Q. Holy Ground could make a moon crater or mini solar system on the ground. Smite could put down a comet streak. Judgement could give him booster rockets. Sanctification could create some kind of star field, or star going nova, or planetary rings. Seems like a good fit.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

Yo, what does the Q stand for in QM?

Qrap

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I get that it's fanart and it's cool for them to put it up and all, but the current loading screen art is very, very 90s.

Chargrilled Face
Nov 4, 2008
I see a bunch of people saying Braxis Holdout is poo poo. I'm pretty new to the game and think that map is kinda cool, what is it that people dislike about it?

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Chargrilled Face posted:

I see a bunch of people saying Braxis Holdout is poo poo. I'm pretty new to the game and think that map is kinda cool, what is it that people dislike about it?

Typically you'll see it snowball very hard in that it's very hard to do anything with the obj if you lose both fountains, let alone the forts.

I'd say that's more because most people don't understand it's kind of designed that way to let poke characters and high sustain characters and globals shine.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I get that it's fanart and it's cool for them to put it up and all, but the current loading screen art is very, very 90s.

It even has a couple of "Hi, mom!" barons from Doom as skeletons, it's great!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Does healbathur... actually... work?

Sort of.

His carapace heal is immediately canceled if the shield ends. So, he can sustain heroes with no mana/mana regen in lane really well, but not in combat.

It takes a very specific build, team comp, and a very micro-oriented person.

95% of the time locusts + hat talents are better.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Chargrilled Face posted:

If you get to play Probius, Braxis is the most fun map.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

If they do implement something like this I would much prefer a system like CS:GO where you can opt-in to or out of every map. This gives everyone a higher degree of choice, and individual map queue estimates would allow people to more easily weigh their map preferences against their wait times.

This would only be for QM of course, although I would like to see a map ban system in draft.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
iirc in both Warcraft 3 and Starcraft about half of the active map pool went almost completely unplayed, because everyone would veto them and honestly we just wanted to play every game on Lost Temple. Personally I don't see that as a problem since as a player I just want to play on good maps all the time, but I can understand why the guys who spent time and effort into creating the maps are trying to avoid it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The solution to that is to stop making maps that are steaming piles of garbage. If maps like Hanamura and BHB were actually fun for most people, this wouldn't be as huge of a problem.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Holy poo poo dudes! Did you hear that the best way to make good things is to not make bad things??? AMAZING.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Blackhearts Bay liker checking in

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Would Quick match be better if it matched you with a team and then you each picked a hero, so you could set up a comp? Or would that just lead to people raging at their allies who pick Lost Vikings or Abathur or whatever else they don't want to be with.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tender Bender posted:

Would Quick match be better if it matched you with a team and then you each picked a hero, so you could set up a comp? Or would that just lead to people raging at their allies who pick Lost Vikings or Abathur or whatever else they don't want to be with.

yeah

maybe some sort of ability...to draft a team...in an unranked setting...

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

QM is for playing the exact loving hero you want to play.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Toshimo posted:

Holy poo poo dudes! Did you hear that the best way to make good things is to not make bad things??? AMAZING.

A lesson you could apply to your posting

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
BHB has the best map-specific announcer and it is a crime that he's not available otherwise. :colbert:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

MMAgCh posted:

BHB has the best map-specific announcer and it is a crime that he's not available otherwise. :colbert:

I wish they let you set map specific loadouts because sometimes I want Gaz but sometimes I want Pirate.

Also I wish the announcers did the objectives too because I'd be okay never hearing whiny coward scientist talking about Zerg again

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

A lesson you could apply to your posting

:yeah:

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

My dumb QM fix:

- Along with the heroes and the random pick button is an option called "draft".
- When you get a match everyone goes to a draft screen.
- If you picked a hero you join the draft with that hero locked in and don't have to do anything.
- If you picked "draft" you now get to pick a hero after seeing the map and what your teammates picked.

Draft is as unranked except:
- Draft time is 15 seconds total.
- No bans.
- Enemy team's picks are completely hidden.
- Mirror picks are still allowed.
- Everyone can lock in whenever they want. First come first served.
- If you haven't picked when the timer expires you get a semi-intelligent flex pick (ie tank or support).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MMAgCh posted:

Just pick Falstad as your announcer and pretend Blackheart has a sore throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlYLf-rGo1Y

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

BattleHamster posted:

If they do implement something like this I would much prefer a system like CS:GO where you can opt-in to or out of every map. This gives everyone a higher degree of choice, and individual map queue estimates would allow people to more easily weigh their map preferences against their wait times.

This would only be for QM of course, although I would like to see a map ban system in draft.

Sounds like R6: siege. You check the maps you want to play and after it gets the teams together it throws all the checks in a hat and pulls one out

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

QM is the good and fun mode and doesn't need to be "fixed" by making it more like the bad modes

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fellatio del Toro posted:

QM is the good and fun mode and doesn't need to be "fixed" by making it more like the bad modes

I'd still like them to disable mirror picks

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Gustav posted:

My dumb QM fix:

- Along with the heroes and the random pick button is an option called "draft".
- When you get a match everyone goes to a draft screen.
- If you picked a hero you join the draft with that hero locked in and don't have to do anything.
- If you picked "draft" you now get to pick a hero after seeing the map and what your teammates picked.

Draft is as unranked except:
- Draft time is 15 seconds total.
- No bans.
- Enemy team's picks are completely hidden.
- Mirror picks are still allowed.
- Everyone can lock in whenever they want. First come first served.
- If you haven't picked when the timer expires you get a semi-intelligent flex pick (ie tank or support).

I pretty much agree with this except for using the "Random" hero as entry to Draft, since some people like to truly play as a Random hero. Instead, just have Quick Play (Fast Draft) and QUick Play (Hero) as two different options. Or call it Unranked (Fast).
I think the real issue here isn't even QM, it is how serious Unranked takes itself and the lengthy draft process complete with Bans and everything. If it was a simple quick chat lobby where you just lock in a hero and go, it would be much better, and I think the comps would be far better. But I understand right now the point of Unranked is to test new comps without it going against your ranking.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Alpha Mayo posted:

it is how serious Unranked takes itself and the lengthy draft process complete with Bans and everything.

Yeah. I hate doing the hero league or unranked draft stuff for this very reason. I hate the drafting phase, like absolutely hate it. I'll take whatever nonsense the game throws at me in QM over having to do the draft.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I just don't see how my suggestions would make it less fun for anyone...

I agree draft in unranked takes way too long. And of course, this is compounding since everyone just pre-picks and alt-tabs (because it takes too long), so every pick goes to the full 30 seconds. And since every pick goes to the full 30 seconds, even relatively patient people just pre-pick and alt-tab. And so on.

And I have no idea why the gently caress unranked has bans. You can't test real comps in unranked anyway, your data is tainted since even if you were tryharding your opponents were most likely just clowning around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gustav posted:

I just don't see how my suggestions would make it less fun for anyone...

I agree draft in unranked takes way too long. And of course, this is compounding since everyone just pre-picks and alt-tabs (because it takes too long), so every pick goes to the full 30 seconds. And since every pick goes to the full 30 seconds, even relatively patient people just pre-pick and alt-tab. And so on.

And I have no idea why the gently caress unranked has bans. You can't test real comps in unranked anyway, your data is tainted since even if you were tryharding your opponents were most likely just clowning around.

It has bans so you can practice for Hero League lol