Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

boner confessor posted:

also it's only popup thunderstorms it's not like it's raining everywhere all day. looking out my office window and it's overcast and threatening but not actually raining rn

downtown :rolleyes: nothing down there but prestige offices and government (and tourists) all the insurance action is in fbuckhead
you're correct, now that you mention it. I always sort of forget that Buckhead is technically part of the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

boner confessor posted:

also it's only popup thunderstorms it's not like it's raining everywhere all day. looking out my office window and it's overcast and threatening but not actually raining

Overcast on the west side near Bells Ferry Road as well

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

HannibalBarca posted:

Basically this. For all that people screech about liberal identity politics, it's Republicans who close campaigns out with this like this

because they literally have nothing substantive to campaign on.

Cuba and Jane Fonda have to be the most enduring and pointless right-wing bugaboos. She made her trip to Vietnam over 40 goddamn years ago.

EDIT: In regards to the rain problem I think we all know who the prime suspects are...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Old east coast people tend to freak out either way whenever you say storms.

Dick Trauma posted:

Cuba and Jane Fonda have to be the most enduring and pointless right-wing bugaboos. She made her trip to Vietnam over 40 goddamn years ago.

Well unlike current GOP heads, she at least actually went to Vietnam instead of use daddy's power or poo poo themselves to avoid the draft so Hanoi Jane's perpetually one up over them.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 20, 2017

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Wasn't the old saying that Republicans should pray for rain on election day?

Seems like early voting might make that not true anymore.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ballz posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/877205411560128513

I wonder how the early voting R/D split went. It might be the deciding factor if stormy weather depresses day-of turnout.

Where's the piece analyzing likely party ID turnout split based on rainfall amount? Cus like, someone has written or is writing that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HannibalBarca posted:

you're correct, now that you mention it. I always sort of forget that Buckhead is technically part of the city.

thats why it's so dumb to say ossof doesn't live in the district. atlanta has three and a half central business districts, we're so spread out nobody lives anywhere

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

boner confessor posted:

thats why it's so dumb to say ossof doesn't live in the district. atlanta has three and a half central business districts, we're so spread out nobody lives anywhere

shrodinger's atlanta

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dick Trauma posted:

I saw an anti "Hanoi Jane" bumper sticker last week. I seriously can't imagine why somebody still cares.

Worth noting that none of these "Hollywood Liberals" in the picture are men, because leading Hollywood men aren't anywhere near as hated for speaking their mind.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

boner confessor posted:

we're also so spread out and so economically and racially segregated that comprehensive public transit is a ludicrous pipe dream! :argh:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/877209066749267968

:cripes:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

trickybiscuits posted:

Or give him the cold shoulder on everything not work-related. Or both. Or pass it around to everyone else in the office as "How do you think I should handle this?" Put the awkwardness back on him, as Captain Awkward says.

This is the correct answer and is how I now interact with most of my co-workers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Handel has really been playing up the "violent left" rhetoric.

Here's a nice dog whistle from yesterday:

quote:

Asked if the issue was partisan, Handel said: “I can only tell you what I have observed in this race. The anger has been from the left with groups of trackers showing up and literally adopting a gang-like posture and virtually stalking individuals.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/20/georgia-special-election-karen-handel-journalism-lack-of-civility

e: What's really rich here is her pinning the lack of civility on the left in an interview with Ben Jacobs, of all people.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
lol "a gang-like posture"

literally playing on BLACK PEOPLE STAND LIKE THIS

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Too Shy Guy posted:

It just occurred to me this morning that conservatives talk about "California values" like they do Sharia law. Is this a new thing, or have blue states and cities always been posed as The Great Satan to rural communities?

republicans hate states with good economies

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Anyone want to talk about Trump's pick for the new FBI director scrubbing his resume Russian connections?

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/877153048946257920

Or we could continue the circular firing squad? Thats cool too

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sloober posted:

shrodinger's atlanta

I knew a lot of people in college who would be from Atlanta when they wanted to claim association with a good thing and from whatever shithole suburb whenever the discussion involved something they perceived as bad (and yes the existence of African Americans in Atlanta was often included in the later).

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Too Shy Guy posted:

It just occurred to me this morning that conservatives talk about "California values" like they do Sharia law. Is this a new thing, or have blue states and cities always been posed as The Great Satan to rural communities?

It's all too real, though. Just as Sharia forces an entire culture to plot the destruction of the western world, so California values worm their way into the unprotected minds of our American youth.

Your second amendment will not help when the kale-cannnons begin their rain. Electric tanks will make short work of our battalions, blasting forth from turret-mounter loudspeakers - the satanic chorus of The Scissor Sisters. It will scatter our brave men to the four winds. Abortions will be mandatory, and babies will pay for them. They will use the very beasts against us - gay frogs strapped with quinoa bomblets. There will be B-52s returned to an unholy service. It will literally be raining men. They will paratroop onto our churches, forcing every wedding to be a gay wedding, regardless of genders. Los Angeles will be declared the new capitol, and all barbecue joints will be forced to offer a healthier vegan-sushi option. San Francisco will still exist.

The San Andreas fault will split, and out of the ever-widening hellmaw will climb a flag. Over the ruined husk of our once great, god-fearing nation, it towers - The ISIS script in white and a hot-pink hammer and sickle, laid upon a rainbow field.

:911:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Radish posted:

I can't think even the most centrist of Democratic voters are pining for bipartisanship after the way Hillary Clinton got treated in 2016. That is some incredibly degree of out of touch.

Any Democrat in 2017 that believes in bipartisanship is actively working against party interests whether the party realizes that or not.

I'm a centrist and I say we go full Jeremey Corbyn's Labour and gently caress anyone who doesn't fall in line behind full medicare for all, UBI, and everything else short of FULL COMMUNISM NOW because clearly the old strategy doesn't work anymore.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/20/georgia-special-election-karen-handel-journalism-lack-of-civility

e: What's really rich here is her pinning the lack of civility on the left in an interview with Ben Jacobs, of all people.

I hope she eats poo poo today and no one ever has to hear any of the dumb words that come from her face, again

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

HannibalBarca posted:

we're also so spread out and so economically and racially segregated that comprehensive public transit is a ludicrous pipe dream! :argh:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/877209066749267968

:cripes:

god is like trump and responds positively to republican adulation

and is also a spiteful piece of poo poo

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

boner confessor posted:

not till real late, polls close at 7 eastern, fulton county has a jacked up electoral office, and it's likely going to be a nailbiter with votes still being counted until long past dark
Nah it'll be clear that Handel is winning by 10pm or so

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shifty Pony posted:

I knew a lot of people in college who would be from Atlanta when they wanted to claim association with a good thing and from whatever shithole suburb whenever the discussion involved something they perceived as bad (and yes the existence of African Americans in Atlanta was often included in the later).

yeah, schrodinger's atlanta is apt. geographic and location definitions in atlanta are highly flexible and change rapidly depending on context, because of the sprawly nature of geography there's rarely a solid definition to stand on. the urban theorist joel garreau wrote a book called Edge Cities which talks about polycentrism in the modern metropolis and used atlanta as one of his major case studies. he pointed out that what is currently called the sandy springs CBD at the intersection of 400 and 285 was, at the time he wrote the book, more commonly called perimeter center. think about that for a second - perimeter center

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

The San Andreas fault will split, and out of the ever-widening hellmaw will climb a flag. Over the ruined husk of our once great, god-fearing nation, it towers - The ISIS script in white and a hot-pink hammer and sickle, laid upon a rainbow field.

I want that flag.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

:ironicat:
Handel would never try to intimidate voters!

But seriously, Ossoff campaign hasn't done anything that could even remotely be considered unseemly

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

KickerOfMice posted:

It's all too real, though. Just as Sharia forces an entire culture to plot the destruction of the western world, so California values worm their way into the unprotected minds of our American youth.

Your second amendment will not help when the kale-cannnons begin their rain. Electric tanks will make short work of our battalions, blasting forth from turret-mounter loudspeakers - the satanic chorus of The Scissor Sisters. It will scatter our brave men to the four winds. Abortions will be mandatory, and babies will pay for them. They will use the very beasts against us - gay frogs strapped with quinoa bomblets. There will be B-52s returned to an unholy service. It will literally be raining men. They will paratroop onto our churches, forcing every wedding to be a gay wedding, regardless of genders. Los Angeles will be declared the new capitol, and all barbecue joints will be forced to offer a healthier vegan-sushi option. San Francisco will still exist.

:pusheen:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

blunt for century posted:

But seriously, Ossoff campaign hasn't done anything that could even remotely be considered unseemly

I think Democrats are gonna have to internalize how little that matters if Ossoff loses.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/876768207855661056

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

HannibalBarca posted:

I think Democrats are gonna have to internalize how little that matters if Ossoff loses.

yeah, this whole "we have to be the adults in the room" spiel from liberals is really getting annoying. It clearly doesn't matter anymore. The right wing has been capitalizing on being vicious monsters unbeholden to anything but cash money for ages.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HannibalBarca posted:

Yup. Ossoff is a milquetoast neo liberal and he's still called a balck bloc terrorist.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ballz posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/877205411560128513

I wonder how the early voting R/D split went. It might be the deciding factor if stormy weather depresses day-of turnout.

THIS IS GOOD NEWS....FOR HILLARY HANDEL.

I wanna go back to simpler times when we mocked Paradol Ex and the Hillaryis44.com people :smith:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

HannibalBarca posted:

Multiple anti-Ossoff ads have tried to connect him to ISIS and al-Qaeda. Conservatives are batshit.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HannibalBarca posted:

Not a comment on Ossoff or anything, but anyone who doesn't understand this really hasn't been paying attention. Democrats could run on the exact same platform as Republicans and they'd still be called communists. Doesn't mean the electorate will buy it, but Republicans aren't going to stop being shitheads just because a Democrat runs as a moderate. They don't care.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Aves Maria! posted:

I hope she eats poo poo today and no one ever has to hear any of the dumb words that come from her face, again

She will find some other office to run for, its what she does.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

yeah, this whole "we have to be the adults in the room" spiel from liberals is really getting annoying. It clearly doesn't matter anymore. The right wing has been capitalizing on being vicious monsters unbeholden to anything but cash money for ages.

Most of the Democratic party's attitude and approach comes from inertia rather than any proven record of success.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Someone needs to preserve the dignity of the system or else it just becomes a circus. If the Dems lose a couple of elections because they are not kow-towing to the passions of the moment, then it would be worth it if they maintain the integrity of the electoral process.

People will come back when there is an economic crisis or Iraq and they need the steady hand. 2008 is the model.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Multiple anti-Ossoff ads have tried to connect him to ISIS and al-Qaeda. Conservatives are batshit.

He did anti-corruption vids for Al-Jazeera so its easy to make that logic leap for them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Their voters reward them for it. Why should they stop?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You just have to accept that Americans are lunatics. There is no bipartisanship. There is no moderation. There is no civility nor sanity. Republicans keep their ideals radical and win while Democrats try and hold hands and are called enemies of freedom while making sure the dumb poo poo R bills actually work.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Having sympathy for others is one of the core values of ISIS, clearly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thus we must become monsters in return. We should pack the Supreme Court, triple the size of Congress, give rural places only 1 polling site, etc. Beat the GOP at their own game. Or we could become like Jeremy Corbyn but Americans are spiteful, hateful idiots and would probably get mad at sincerity and jam and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Too Shy Guy posted:

You have to understand that at least 25% of Americans unironically and literally believe what's put into far-right cartoons and Chick tracts. That liberals, satanists, and brown people (and let's face it, jews) are out to murder them and their babies and the only way to stop it is to vote for Republicans and amass as much wealth as possible to buy your way into heaven. It's the very essence of prosperity gospel.

This is the legacy of not properly achieving reconstruction in the post-Civil War era.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 20, 2017

• Locked thread