Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bussamove posted:

Freedom Wars had some cool ideas with combat and the Thorn (which Toukiden 2 kind of did better anyway) and absolutely atrocious everything else.

Except character customization. That was pretty dope.

Customize your own super cool prisoner and their robot waifu/husbando warden. Fighting near identical robots? That's boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Your Computer posted:

Are people here saying that "fashion souls" is a bad thing or something I don't get it :confused: Fashion souls and fashion hunting is the only way to play the respective games, and both involve ridiculous amounts of grinding for no purpose other than to look beautiful :yeah:

If Fashion Hunting is wrong, I don't want to be right! I like being a rainbow butterfly princess, or a rainbow insect cyborg... thing. Basically rainbow pigment everything.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Silver Falcon posted:

If Fashion Hunting is wrong, I don't want to be right! I like being a rainbow butterfly princess, or a rainbow insect cyborg... thing. Basically rainbow pigment everything.

The prettiest butterfly

http://i.imgur.com/NjTVZaD.gifv

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So that MH World livestream happened. I can't watch it right now but here it is

https://youtu.be/fvKE9iVz-Ig

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

The new mounting looks brutal as gently caress. I love that they let you actually use your weapon in certain points for bigger damage than just the knife, I guess at the expense of being a lot more open.

Looks like that specific tree acts like a pitfall trap when monsters break it, too. That kind of thing is going to add a lot more utility for people who don't just bring every kind of disabling tool with them.

I'm also a big fan of being able to direct a monster where you want them to go, if they haven't noticed/cared about you yet. Seems like you have to actually piss off a monster to get it to attack you, rather than just being an on-sight kinda deal all the time. If we get unique animations for each monster fight like the Anjanath grabbing lizard-dude by the neck and slamming him into the ground, or Rathalos picking up Anjanath and dropping him, boy is that going to be awesome.

goddamn that waterfall transition

They definitely seem to be slipping some Hunter Art-esque moves into each weapon's standard moveset. I caught the Great Sword guy doing a shoulder charge followed by a golf swing a couple of times, the Hammer guy did that hype-rear end spinning jump, and the Long Sword guy did the stab into a jumping slash. I kinda hope there's more customization of what you can do, but I'll be fine if they just want to add some cool moves to the core set for now. Hoping there's some kind of counter, because LS counters were the best poo poo.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Just finished discreetly watching it at work. Like everyone thought, it's the same closed door demo that leaked a couple days ago. Except this is obviously much better quality. And also in Japanese. I'm sure someone will translate any interesting tidbit that they talked about.

But saw a lot of MH staples in this one. Guy used a large barrel bomb to bomb a Rath and break the drat at the same time. And they even sleep bombed the dinosaur as it went back to its lair to rest. And it looks like pitfall traps are still in the game.

Guy playing GS didn't do many charge attacks when playing solo, which had me worried. But he started using them when he called in the other hunters. He also teleported back to base camp and crawled into a tent to change gear to Lance. His pailco was also there and he changed his gear too, though he wasn't using him.

Lot of hammer play in that vid which was nice. Hammer has a sweet looking spinning attack in the air after he surfed down a slope. Then went back up the slope to do it again. I'm thinking weapons will get a special aerial attack after sliding down slopes.

That jumping longsword attack was used again. It looks very similar to aerial style in that if the initial thrusting attack connects with the monster you vault off of it to the the vertical slice. He used it a couple times in quick succession so it looks kind of spammable? But maybe you need the spirit gauge charged a certain amount to use it? Idk.

HBG looking good. He used the machine gun ammo but then went back to traditional HBG play. It has a very nice feel to it from what I've seen. Like you can feel the power behind it more.

All in all, it looked very solid and very much like the monster hunter we all know. This solidified my hype for this game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sorry, they're terrible. They look like bosses to a PS1 era JRPG; interesting ideas but absolutely terrible execution.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I keep rewatching the footage to catch neat little things that they have changed.

Its like someone working on the game loved the gently caress out of the ecology videos from MH1,2 and 3 and said to themselves, how do i make that playable

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Your Computer posted:

That's also my #1 worry/complaint about MHW.

If they don't include a volume slider for the voiceovers then I don't even know.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Sorry, they're terrible. They look like bosses to a PS1 era JRPG; interesting ideas but absolutely terrible execution.

Close, they're bosses to a portable PS2 era JRPG :v: Maybe I am just desensitized but they are well animated and work for what they are.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

They look like bosses to a PS1 era JRPG

This except it's a good thing

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Apparently you can change the voice acting to normal MH gibberish.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yeah I read that too. Apparently one of the developers during the stream from earlier confirmed it.

It seems like they are updating some things while still giving you the option to turn them off for a more old school feel. Like damage numbers and voice acting. Keeping their existing player base in mind is a good sign imo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

If this is true I'm immediately changing my opinion to "who cares about everything else, MHW is the greatest videogame ever!"

I can't even count the number of games (especially JRPGs) that have been completely ruined for me with bad voice acting. I know I'm in the minority with this, but that doesn't make it any less annoying to me :arghfist::(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

sexpig by night posted:

I have committed genocide upon rare and fantastical beasts to get a hat that did literally nothing for my current build but looked cooler than the set hat did. I can never take 'fashionsouls' seriously.

Im sorry I made you sad by hunting the majestic paralysis snake monster to extinction.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Crisis averted.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

mhw will be....good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the livestream, it definitely looks like Monster Hunter and I'm immediately way more interested in it :v: All the ~*~dynamic world~*~ stuff is obviously scripted for this presentation though so I'm still very skeptical of it. Everyone who viewed the presentation during the closed door show talked about how organic and natural it felt but if it's pre-scripted events and not emergent A.I. stuff then it's pretty :geno: It's a bit of a pet peeve for me, but how many times haven't we seen developers claiming to show complex behavior and when the game comes out it turns out it was bogus and everything's scripted?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

scaterry posted:

I keep rewatching the footage to catch neat little things that they have changed.

Its like someone working on the game loved the gently caress out of the ecology videos from MH1,2 and 3 and said to themselves, how do i make that playable

That's definitely what it feels like, it's wonderful. I wonder if they're gonna just pull all those assets from those videos and rework them for the game. I wouldn't be surprised, they look exactly the same.

orphean posted:

Close, they're bosses to a portable PS2 era JRPG :v: Maybe I am just desensitized but they are well animated and work for what they are.

Maybe they're better once animated, I'm just going off the pictures.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I am very excited for Monster Hunter: World. The first thing I will do is go into my tent and have tea with my best Palico, Sir Wafflesham Esq.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Looking at the livestream, it definitely looks like Monster Hunter and I'm immediately way more interested in it :v: All the ~*~dynamic world~*~ stuff is obviously scripted for this presentation though so I'm still very skeptical of it. Everyone who viewed the presentation during the closed door show talked about how organic and natural it felt but if it's pre-scripted events and not emergent A.I. stuff then it's pretty :geno: It's a bit of a pet peeve for me, but how many times haven't we seen developers claiming to show complex behavior and when the game comes out it turns out it was bogus and everything's scripted?

Yeah I feel like some of the dynamic world stuff will be scripted to certain quests. Like that Jagras coming out to eat the Aptonoth. I think semi-scripted events like those will be ways to introduce new monsters. Like someone earlier said, it's like they took the ecology videos and made them playable. Which is key because playable events can always unfold differently, and they have during the multiple demos people have seen.

Monsters are still going to interact with each other if the fight leaks into a another monsters territory. And that will all be unscripted and it's gonna own. :getin:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
The lack of ecology videos in Generations was a huge bummer and even if the interactive environment stuff is really just playable ecology videos, that's still gonna be awesome and go a long ways to making MH:W feel like you're actually in a world and not a series of interconnected arenas that kinda resemble a world.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

They said there is an animal hierarchy. Which makes sense, you need an apex predator. But I wonder if there are some where you don't know which one will come out on top.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I wonder how the snow mountains/ lava pit holes would work with enviromental interactions.

Could you trigger an avalanche? Make the volcano explode?

COULD THE MONSTERS DO IT

imagine fighting brachydios and he blows up the volcano as his entrance.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Devlan Mud posted:

The lack of ecology videos in Generations was a huge bummer and even if the interactive environment stuff is really just playable ecology videos, that's still gonna be awesome and go a long ways to making MH:W feel like you're actually in a world and not a series of interconnected arenas that kinda resemble a world.

This is definitely my biggest Generations complaint. I love anything that makes the world actually feel real, and it looks like they're doing their best to focus on that. Hell, I'll still probably be fine with World if they don't have ecology videos, though I'd be surprised at this point if there were none at all.

Similarly, I'm really glad they're tossing in more non-enemy creatures just wandering around doing their own thing. I caught some kind of ferret running around the trees, those birds that scattered when the hunter went for a drop, the bats that go nuts in the cave, and the Archaeopteryx guys gliding through the tree interior. I don't care if they'll never be actually intractable and they're just scripted events, we've always needed more small fauna in the zones that's not fish or distant birds.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm sure the final product won't be as disappointing but I wish they would have gotten the hit-sparks and sound-effects and blood splatters and everything right before showing a demo. All of the attacks just look so flaccid.

The new LS stuff looks neat even if the player kept missing. The one full spirit combo I saw also looked shorter and more contained than the normal so that's nice.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Looking at the livestream, it definitely looks like Monster Hunter and I'm immediately way more interested in it :v: All the ~*~dynamic world~*~ stuff is obviously scripted for this presentation though so I'm still very skeptical of it.

Yes and no. Some of the stuff was clearly scripted so they could show it off - but apparently they weren't so thorough with the demo build, and they missed being able to show off some things in their E3 live demos because it actually was dynamic.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

goddammit I need some hunting horn and gunlance footage. I'm dying to find out if the heat gauge is gone and how sweet the HH songs look in HD.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zmej posted:

goddammit I need some hunting horn and gunlance footage.

Same, but Switch Axe

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Decus posted:

I'm sure the final product won't be as disappointing but I wish they would have gotten the hit-sparks and sound-effects and blood splatters and everything right before showing a demo. All of the attacks just look so flaccid.

The new LS stuff looks neat even if the player kept missing. The one full spirit combo I saw also looked shorter and more contained than the normal so that's nice.

Monster Hunter has actually always had an "Effects Settings" setting that you could leave on Normal or switch to Reduced, which affected things like blood splatters. What I've heard is that this is traditionally turned off in the livestream demo's that the JP MH crew does (presumably for family friendly reasons?). That's just hearsay so I dunno what it's worth but it may be an explanation for at least some of the lack of visual oomph. There also does seem to be a general toning down of visual effects though, presumably to fit the new, more "realistic" aesthetics that current gen allows them to go for.

Your Computer posted:

So some of the stuff is pretty clearly scripted. The Great Jaggrus eating the Aptonoth in particular occurred in the same way in both the leaked video and the JP livestream. The tutorial announcer girl comments on it in game so it may just be a part of the tutorial/demo/whatever this build will turn out to be (I suspect that if we get a demo it will just be this mission we've been seeing). However I think aside from that it's probably more like pre-scripted interactions that occur within some kind of basic decision-making system. So like, if you lure the Anjanath to the Rathalos' lair, he's gonna get owned in the same way every time through the canned animation (assuming Rath is home and not flying around the map), but after that it opens up a bit. For instance, he stuck around and fought you/the Rathalos in the leaked footage whereas in the JP stream he just noped the gently caress out of there. Similarly, the Rathalos broke the dam in the leaked footage, whereas in the JP stream the player bombed it. So certain specific animations/interactions are scripted, but there's an emergence and variety in how situations play out.

---

Okay so prepare your butts for a longpost on my analysis of the video. The big thing that jumped out at me was the "unlocking" of movement, for both the player and the monster. The player has an omnidirectional roll, a grappling hook, can move while consuming items, and can even roll to cancel item use animations. These are all BIG changes in how the player will control (not to mention all the more subtle changes to general map traversal, especially on what looks like some extremely vertical and varied terrain). To counteract the huge boost in power that represents for the player, it looks like the monsters are much more mobile as well. Not only in their traversal but particularly in their combat animations. The Anjanath seemed to have significantly less animation lock between attacks than, say, a Deviljho in MHX would. Particularly for a presumably Low Rank monster. He was also moving all over the place, to the point where it looked difficult for the player to land solid hits (although the demo people were obviously not the best players ever). Same for the Rathalos in the JP stream, he spent very little time on the ground and once he got mounted he was outta there. What this all potentially means is that while the player is safer, it's also going to be much harder to output damage on monsters that are wriggling around as much as the MH:W ones seem to be.

Which brings me to my second big observation: they really seem to be emphasising the power of the environment. Trees can act as vine traps, there's little shock trap lizards walking around, you can drop boulders on the monster, wash them away by breaking a dam, etc. All of these things accomplish one thing: they restrict the monsters movement. Similarly, the verticality of the maps, as well as new jumping moves (see LS and Hammer in the stream) provide more opportunities to get a mount (which is also a much more developed system, indicating an emphasis on it). Finally, there's the multiple monsters and the food-chain that we see with the Jaggrus->Anjanath->Rathalos interaction. All of those meetings resulted in a knockdown for the guy further down the chain. It seems to me that they are really emphasising using tools, the environment, and even other monsters in order to restrict your target's movement and then THAT'S where you get your damage in (plus some nice bonus damage from certain environmental effects/other monsters).

All-in-all I think it's a really cool direction, in that it brings much more emphasis to the "Hunting" part of the "Hunting Action" genre, which I feel has really lacked before. The new tools they are adding also potentially make for some extremely cool decision points. Fighting the Anjanath in this cave is dumb, so let me put on my Challenger Mantle, get it to chase me, and lure it over to the rocky slope area, where I can do sliding jump attacks and I know some little paralysis lizards are hanging out. Or, I could take it to the Jaggrus lair and distract it (and potentially soften up Great Jaggrus for later) or if I'm feeling really plucky, lure it up to Rathalos, which will get me a HUGE payoff in damage but also means I now have to deal with an angry Rathalos.

There's also all sorts of minor stuff I noticed that was awesome, such as at one point when he was luring the Anjanath towards Rathalos, he grabbed a little bug off the ground and ate it and got a marathon runner style buff that reduced his sprinting stamina consumption. Or getting scatternuts and using them in your launcher to knock down Rathalos (or loading para knives in as they did in the demo). I can't wait for all the crunchy little equipment optimizations we'll be able to do with all the new systems.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bombadilillo posted:

Im sorry I made you sad by hunting the majestic paralysis snake monster to extinction.

Oh I didn't mean that as a bad thing, those thunder dogs HAD to die for my fancy hat, it was just nature.

Neo_Crimson posted:

goty

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Really want to see some IG footage. It feels like it might be a lot more technical and demanding if monsters are moving as much as they are in the demo.

Like even as a not-great player I can keep at least red up most of the time in 4U and Gen, but that's because of how easy it is to hipfire at them. It looks like that isn't going to be as much of a thing in World.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Zore posted:

Really want to see some IG footage. It feels like it might be a lot more technical and demanding if monsters are moving as much as they are in the demo.

Like even as a not-great player I can keep at least red up most of the time in 4U and Gen, but that's because of how easy it is to hipfire at them. It looks like that isn't going to be as much of a thing in World.

I could see your bug replacing the slinger (or on the other arm) and having similar controls, which would probably be a lot easier to use than what we have now.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, I don't see them keeping the bug the same. If anything it should be able to be more independent and fly to whatever you mark via a good path rather than simple straight-line paths. And you'd probably be able to aim it for real at the very least.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

Okay so prepare your butts for a longpost on my analysis of the video.

:words:

Pretty good analysis. Generally my thoughts as well, though I hadn't put them to form so readily.

All in all, I'm pretty comfortable with this direction, assuming the results are in parity with your analysis. It still seems like it will have that sort of frustration that often comes with these games (sluggish attacks, etc), but not nearly so punishing. Where a player may initially struggle to simply deal the damage, they may not end up being stomped for something so simple as trying to hack away and get a basic feel for the controls, interface, or tools. Monsters are faster, but with more fluid controls, it is likely to feel more like a player mistake, than the game simply being "bad".

Lots to consider in these relationships, but I am pretty optimistic. No doubt this sort of shift will split people on Monster Hunter becoming more "accessible", but in my opinion, this is the way to go about it. The gameplay demo basically presented "Monster Hunter" as I know it, albeit with some pretty dramatic changes in things like item consumption - and if those changes occurred in a vacuum, I would definitely be skeptical. It wasn't in a vacuum, however, and it also presented "Monster Hunter" as I first anticipated when booting up my first Monster Hunter title. Things like the hazards, or monsters attacking eachother, stealth and luring monsters about. For as onerous as combat can be in these games, it's really only part of the reason audiences give up. It's rather that there weren't really any alternatives, and rather than "Monster Hunter", the games tended toward "Monster Brawler". It's been well enough, and I would appreciate it enough to remains as such. So long as that component is practically (as in reasonable comparable in experience) still available, then the addition of these other dynamics serve to I suppose lower the skill floor and facilitate a sense of reward and progression for players who are otherwise still struggling with otherwise sluggish combat.

How it all works out we'll have to wait and see, but I think it's a move in a positive direction, where even if I am in somewhat disappointed with the consequences on combat, I should get enough out of it otherwise to welcome what is looking like a pretty radical update.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I feel like wheat to chaff ratio is another reason why people give up. If this is the first quest you see in the final product then good on them since Time to Large Monster should be really, really short instead of grossly long.

Initial gather quest spam made some level of sense in the older games where you'd actually be going on gather quests as part of the basic gameplay loop but, uh, I can hardly think of the last game where I did that? Maybe a bit in Tri, but not really. Modern games have offered cheaply buyable potions in the shops, traders, the hunter for hire stuff, the cat stuff and so many other things that just sort of remove going on a quest just to gather basic items from the loop entirely. Kill X Small Monster quests should never have existed as Key Quests either because most weapons control very terribly for killing them and such a thing is much better off as a subquest on a large monster hunt. Also, Key Quests should be marked as such in-game--stuff like god eater has its non-keys in a separate tab which is nice.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Anyone who watched that footage and still says the game doesn't "look" like Monster Hunter is an idiot. :colbert:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Decus posted:

I feel like wheat to chaff ratio is another reason why people give up. If this is the first quest you see in the final product then good on them since Time to Large Monster should be really, really short instead of grossly long.
Definitely the next big issue. Time-to-chop is pretty bad. If nothing else, gathering appears thoroughly streamlined, so maybe the process will be expedited, even if nothing else changes. Here's hoping. I know it's irrelevant to me, so it's only a question of whether its enough for untapped audiences.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Decus posted:

The gameplay presented reads more to me as a scripted playable demo than a first village quest. I feel like Great Jagras is going to be our first large monster. Aside from being a Laviathan, which is an odd choice, he otherwise meets all the traditional requirements of a first hunt; he's a larger, alpha version of the basic carnivore small monster on the initial map, he appears to be the lowest rung on the food chain of that area, etc.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKE9iVz-Ig&t=3960s

monster hunter world is... good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
The way the game is focused is really off putting to me, the increased mobility and focus on environmental and inter-enemy combat stuff is just not for me.

I come to monster hunter for the deliberate combat and stuff so while the game looks fine for what it is, it also looks like it moves stuff away from that stuff as much as X and XX did with it's super moves and stuff.

The "Dynamic" stuff is cool the first time or two it happens but like I don't want to use that sorta stuff at all because it'd get boring after the 3rd or 4th time.

Maybe MH isn't for me anymore, I dunno.

• Locked thread