Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

ASTs have one dot and a spam. Earthly Star you can use once a minute like Assize, and maybe the Lord of Crowns if the cards work out that way.

WHM should have Aero2 and Aero 3 still, as well as stone spam and Assize.

Fair, Assize and Earthly Star are a lot more satisfying than Shadow Flare right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Love my paladin. Did the first boss in bardam without a healer from 60% to 0% because the healer got gibbed by the charge. Being able to heal my self and cover people to negate a mechanic is awesome.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Boogalo posted:

Ahem you forgot the best spell in the game: HOLY.

I was only going single-target.

(Gravity looks and sounds cooler anyways.)

nuru posted:

Fair, Assize and Earthly Star are a lot more satisfying than Shadow Flare right now.

Earthly Star is loving amazing and I'm so glad it's the level 62 ability so I can use it for all of Stormblood.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Little bit of tank and Pld theorycrafting.

I'm actually a little down on Holy Spirit because it stops your auto attacks that get extra beefy in sword oath. I don't know enough about the numbers to say for certain but it may not be good to spam outside of requiescat. Absolutely wonderful for range situations though.

The loss of gauge while stance dancing is big too, and cleave numbers are getting bigger. I think susano hm cleave hits for 20k unmitigated, and he just drops that out of nowhere. If a fight needs a lot of sheltron/intervention, might be worth staying in shield for the easy oath gauge.

So raid PLD may want to babysit oath, or remember to sheltron then swap for a buster. That'll take some getting used to.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I skipped a bunch of pages but wanted to chime in - i've strength tanked up to the level 66 stormblood dungeon and multipulled and haven't had any issues.

But i also have always ran with premades.

I'm almost back to 30k life again. And for any SB accessory to be better than my 270 slaying it has to make up 53 points of strength via substats.

I'm also keeping slaying accessories around forever for all synced content.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you don't spam spirits out of requesciat, you're right.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Can't deal with how cool xaela are in this expac, hello fantasia

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

Seen plenty of RDM pics in here, but I've noticed a disturbing lack of SAMs. Clearly this should be fixed!

Shiva katana is real nice

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you don't spam spirits out of requesciat, you're right.

my question is for openers. Are we spamming requesciat/holy to oom after a few 123 threat combos? Or do we go with the fight or flight dps spam ending with a buffed dot into holy spam? I feel like going the latter route is wasted mana I'm getting back cause I'm full. But doing the first option means I don't have a buffed dot ticking.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

It feels so good not to have to swap cleric stance. I play on ps4 and with a controller it is especially cumbersome to have to switch, but now I can just DPS to my heart's content. I kinda wish they either replaced cleric stance or made it do something more interesting than +5% damage every minute or so, since it doesn't seem to really help with solo questing, but it's a great QOL change regardless.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

On bosses so far through stormblood I do not have to use shield oath or rage of halone at all. I've been pulling with holy spirit, goring blade combo with fof popped before goring, holy spirit till i'm out of mana, then just alternate between royal authority and goring blade as necessary until i have fof back up and more mana.

I've rarely had to toss an enmity combo out at all.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
For WHM dungeons:

Largesse -> regen -> Swiftcast holy -> 3-lily Assize -> Presence of Mind -> Aero 3 -> Thin Air -> Holy -> Holy -> Holy -> holy

StoneyAssassin
Feb 19, 2003

Cu Chulainn posted:

Seen plenty of RDM pics in here, but I've noticed a disturbing lack of SAMs. Clearly this should be fixed!

Shiva katana is real nice

I've been having too much fun taking my SAM through HW for the first time.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
People keep asking about machinist to silence so here's an unnecessarily long effort post. I mained machinist throughout heavensward, including raiding during Creator. Didn't clear a12, but that was due to starting a new job that made me unable to keep raiding on my static's times. I am actually bad at this game just like everyone else.

First, the most notable stuff changed from 3.0:

- Raging strikes, Hawk's Eye, and Blood for Blood are all gone. Head Graze and Blank don't have potency (which is a good thing, honestly) so they're gone from your rotation. There are a lot less buttons to manage. From my point of view this is actually a bit of a bummer, but I'm guessing I hold the minority opinion there. I absolutely loved having a button to press between GCDs drat near all the time.

- Wildfire is five seconds shorter. Between that and the lack of buffs, at level 60 my wildfires were doing like 7 or 8k, as opposed to the 14-15k I could do without raid buffs. I'm starting to get over it, but it was pretty depressing upfront.

- Some other stuff, like cast bars being gone/lead shot getting removed, that's mostly not all that relevant. No lead shot mostly just means one less thing to worry about.

- They got rid of grenado shot instead of spread shot and I'm extremely mad about it (I'm not that mad about it it just had the cooler visuals/way less annoying sfx)

And what I've seen in 4.0 so far, with the caveat that I'm 68 so I haven't gotten to mess with flamethrower just yet. The heat manipulation from flamethrower probably opens up some opportunities for controlling overheat timing, as long as it isn't a DPS loss otherwise.

- Ultimately, the goal of heat is to stay between 50-95 pretty much all of the time. Before 64 it doesn't really matter as long as you're not overheating, but you need to stay heated for your 1-2-3 once you get the trait. The difference in potency is pretty massive. 160/200/240 becomes 190/230/270. That adds up pretty drat fast, but this much is obvious.

- Quick Reload is now a very dangerous button. It reduces your heat by 10, so pressing it when you have <60 heat feels terrible. Not only do you miss out on the added potency, your heat won't increase on the next GCD since ammo eliminates heat gain from weaponskills. I'm still a little uncomfortable with everything, so the fact that this is on a 15 second cooldown has bitten me in the rear end more than a few times presently.

- Hot Shot isn't part of the new UI for some reason, so you're still going to be staring at your buff bar. (or whatever method you used to track your self-buff previously)

- Turret overload is neat and it's definitely tempting to just toss into Wildfire rotations, but 30 seconds is a hell of a long time with no turret. I haven't quite figured out when to pull the trigger on it, I'm not really the sort who will sit down and figure out the precise math. Annoyingly, the 30 second countdown is a debuff. No countdown is displayed on the deploy turret buttons.

- The heated attack animations are really frickin' cool. I've had trouble using oGCDs though. I think this is user error on my end, but I'm not sure yet. Stuff like double weaving reassemble/gauss shot still feels fine, but reload has me clipping my GCD a lot...

- Gauss barrel doesn't get re-equipped after the overheat lockout. It's driving me crazy. In Heavensward, there was barely any reason to remove GB (with the exception of your opener/if you really couldn't stand not getting that 1% DPS boost or whatever). Now, there's no reason to not have it on all of the time unless you're intentionally overheating. It is also removed when you die, just like 3.0. This is the absolute worst. In PVP, removing gauss barrel automatically overheats the gun which is super cool (it also does damage and stuff).

- Palisade is cool. Tactician/Refresh are cool. The other role abilities seem flexible depending on what you need/want. I tried soloing with a boatload of CC options and it was kind of amusing. Also helpful on some of those quests in Azim Steppe.

All that said, the general flow of the job hasn't changed too much. Wildfire being a 60 second cooldown means it now shares a timer with rapid fire, reassamble, and reload. You have to cram your poo poo in a bit quicker, but you also have way less to cram. Rapid fire makes ability weaving feel pretty scary with the heated attack animations. Again, at the moment I think this a problem on my end.

On paper, heat management isn't all that terrible. Don't use quick reload if you're below 60 heat, don't use cooldown if you're below 75. Chances are you don't want to use cooldown if you're below 80, maybe even higher depending on how timings play out. Ammo eliminates heat for your next attack, so you can adjust based on that. In practice, if your attention gets divided at all it can be easy to gently caress it up. Don't be like me and think you have a bullet left and then use split shot at 95 heat.

The DPS boost from overheating seems to play perfectly with wildfire, but I haven't quite figured out how to make the most of it. Best I can tell, it's fine to overheat if barrel stabilizer is ready to use. Math seems basic enough to my dumb brain, anyway. The real shame is that that means you can't overheat during your opener if you're starting from zero heat. Getting the most out of wildfire is just a matter of math and practice at that point. Someone smarter than me is probably figuring it out/already has.

-

Overall, machinist isn't as different as it might first appear, but it's easy to perceive it that way. If you didn't like how many buttons you had to juggle before, it's definitely in a better spot. However, mistakes in your rotation will gently caress you up. Obviously that's true for every class, but it really rubs your nose in it now. Seeing that heat gauge go below 50 or (much worse) accidentally overheating feels so terrible. If you overheat with barrel stabilizer on cooldown, it takes a goddamn month to get back to 50 heat again (flamethrower probably softens this blow!). I haven't messed around much with other jobs yet so I don't know if it's like that for everyone now, but it really does suck. I wouldn't recommend machinist to anyone who doesn't want the game showing them just how badly they hosed up so plainly.

I'm a little disappointed with the rework because I enjoyed the chaotic amount of buttons and the ridiculous spiky burst that I had, but "fast caster" is kind of my poo poo. I think the skill floor of machinist is definitely lower now, but I think the skill cap may have gone up. The cap was not terribly far from the floor before this. And the animations are really cool. I keep getting tempted to change, but every time I figure out something new about the rotation I realize that it has changed less than I previously thought, which is good from my point of view. The job is still really fun and everyone should shoot guns.

The biggest problem with machinist is that I feel like I'm fighting with the UI. Keeping track of a buff, a debuff, and the heat gauge is kind of a pain in the neck. I was really hoping the heat gauge would at least indicate whether or not hot shot was active.

Also: if PVP is your thing, machinist feels goddamn amazing there. New PVP is great, and machinist is great in it. Play PVP machinist.

This is too many words. Go play machinist. You'll be awful at it and you'll have a lot of fun.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The plot of Stormblood is stupid. I'm not done yet, maybe it will get turned around, but it's bad. Bad enough that I had to shitpost about it because it's bugging me!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Oh but god drat can PLD carry a bad healer. First run of lvl61 dungeon had me solo healing the first boss cuz our healer forgot his glam gear was still on.

As for the opener it depends on a bunch of things. As MT a FoF rage combo is important to get a strong threat lead. If you're OT then Requiescat into Spirit spam is your burst, but with so many classes with a build up of some sort it may shake out that the best burst time is a little into the fight.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

I don't understand DRK anymore. Apart from (maybe) the opening Power Slash combo for a solid aggro lead, are DRK GCD's allocated to literally just doing 1-2-3 Souleater combo forever? Am I just misunderstanding? :psyduck: (haven't played it post-60)

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 20, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

M.c.P posted:

Little bit of tank and Pld theorycrafting.

I'm actually a little down on Holy Spirit because it stops your auto attacks that get extra beefy in sword oath. I don't know enough about the numbers to say for certain but it may not be good to spam outside of requiescat. Absolutely wonderful for range situations though.

The loss of gauge while stance dancing is big too, and cleave numbers are getting bigger. I think susano hm cleave hits for 20k unmitigated, and he just drops that out of nowhere. If a fight needs a lot of sheltron/intervention, might be worth staying in shield for the easy oath gauge.

So raid PLD may want to babysit oath, or remember to sheltron then swap for a buster. That'll take some getting used to.

As far as I can tell, casting a spell pauses but doesn't reset the auto-attack timer, so casting HS effectively adds 1.5s to your AA delay. Sword Oath AAs are 175 potency over three seconds, or 58.3 per second. While casting HS it becomes 175 over 4.5 seconds, or 38.9, so you lose 19.4 potency per second. HS without Requiescat is 172 potency per second, or 152.6 when you factor in the AA delay. Doing Goring Blade -> Royal Authority x2 is 115.1 potency per second. With FoF up, the opportunity cost of spamming HS is 24.3 pps, so it becomes 147.7 pps compared to GB->RAx2 at 143.9. Still slightly higher, but a slashing debuff will give the physical combo the advantage.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Sinteres posted:

People got mad at me in fc chat for saying this, but I started doing the ninja quests since I'm less than half a level to 70, and I either forgot how terrible reading Jacke's dialogue was or they deliberately made it worse. If leaving the city states gets us the hell away from bad dialects, I hope we never go back to them again.

them's fightin' whids

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

On bosses so far through stormblood I do not have to use shield oath or rage of halone at all. I've been pulling with holy spirit, goring blade combo with fof popped before goring, holy spirit till i'm out of mana, then just alternate between royal authority and goring blade as necessary until i have fof back up and more mana.

have you grouped with rdm who know what they're doing? I've had one pull off me in sword oath at the start. But they are a pretty good player who knows what they are doing.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I don't understand DRK anymore. Apart from (maybe) the opening Power Slash combo for a solid aggro lead, are DRK GCD's allocated to literally just doing 1-2-3 Souleater combo forever? Am I just misunderstanding? :psyduck:

i think 1-2 might actually be more efficient technically which is why i immediately gave up the class and played paladin bc lol

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Sam is a threat monster when played well too. Though my buddy might have been trolling me with no diversion

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For PLD, what's the rotation for standard 3-mob pulls? I feel like I have a good sense of how large pulls go, and how single target fights go, but with the resquiescat > holy mechanic, I'm worried about how much flashing is appropriate to build aggro on the mob before going into holy mode. Because you don't want to go below 80%, it seems.

Also, does holy spirit build enmity? I haven't actually got PLD past 60 yet, but I've read the ability descriptions and am officially hype

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, I've yet to seriously be challenged on enmity on SB bosses as Paladin too, myself. I did one Sirensong final boss entirely in Shield once because the healer was pretty awful at doing the march and retreat mechanics, otherwise it's been Sword all the way. Meanwhile, had a dark knight in the 55 dungeon absolutely bitching up a storm about how hard it was for him to hold aggro.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Failboattootoot posted:

The plot of Stormblood is stupid. I'm not done yet, maybe it will get turned around, but it's bad. Bad enough that I had to shitpost about it because it's bugging me!

Everything in Gyr Abania is fine (though not exactly a masterpiece of modern fiction), everything in the east is pretty dumb, yeah. As usual, even during dumb plot there's good lines and cool character moments and fights with amazing spectacles

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

cheetah7071 posted:

Everything in Gyr Abania is fine (though not exactly a masterpiece of modern fiction), everything in the east is pretty dumb, yeah. As usual, even during dumb plot there's good lines and cool character moments and fights with amazing spectacles

I'm generally enjoying things on both sides, for me the main drag is that Zenos is just a lovely villain.

He has no interesting characteristics whatsoever.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how much more engaging does the drg rotation get at 70? because at 61 right now it's actually pretty boring with the SB changes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Holyshoot posted:

have you grouped with rdm who know what they're doing? I've had one pull off me in sword oath at the start. But they are a pretty good player who knows what they are doing.

I've been running with extremely competent dps of all sorts. Maybe they're just better at using quelling strikes or whatever its called now than the people you came across. I only use rage to start if I don't have FoF up.

Also i'm doing a ton of dps so that's helping keep me ahead.

Also i love nuking adds with holy spirit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like that Zenos is an insane psychopath who owns everyone constantly

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how much more engaging does the drg rotation get at 70? because at 61 right now it's actually pretty boring.

By 70 you gain Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust triggering off each other, so you get to run around a whole lot more.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

M.c.P posted:

Oh but god drat can PLD carry a bad healer. First run of lvl61 dungeon had me solo healing the first boss cuz our healer forgot his glam gear was still on.

Did... Did they not know about glamour prisms? :psyduck:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

How does this STR tanking thing work? I thought Slaying was changed to class specific now?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm generally enjoying things on both sides, for me the main drag is that Zenos is just a lovely villain.

He has no interesting characteristics whatsoever.

he has a sword golf bag

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

nuru posted:

How does this STR tanking thing work? I thought Slaying was changed to class specific now?

nooooooooooo.............!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nuru posted:

270 slaying accessories.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

270 slaying accessories.

Oh christ. Really?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

no that is Gddamn Retarded

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I love Zenos his eyelashes are beautiful.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tanks wearing level 60 dps gear is probably what yoship wanted, change makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Did... Did they not know about glamour prisms? :psyduck:

No they... well they have a set they wear for when they're doing talky cutscenes. You know, warrior casual.