Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

???

The SU agreed to the German peace treaty and then expanded rapidly westwards when the second empire finally caved in late 1918; I don't think you can credibly moan that the Poles shot first after the Red Army attacked the Baltics and Belarus.

the nascent polish nation was explicitly seeking to create a "Greater Poland". self-defense doesn't really hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

what a boy

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Is this still a thing people get called in Britain? I thought it'd died out during/after the second world war.

is tubbalard more common in your neck of the woods

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

is tubbalard more common in your neck of the woods

It's not just a fatass thing, I've always understood calling someone a blimp was in early 20th century parlance to accuse them of being a thickheaded militarist who revels in jingoism and in not thinking about things (thus perhaps why Brutalist McDonalds used the term) who Orwell bangs on about in several of his books.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's not just a fatass thing, I've always understood calling someone a blimp was in early 20th century parlance to accuse them of being a thickheaded militarist who revels in jingoism and in not thinking about things (thus perhaps why Brutalist McDonalds used the term) who Orwell bangs on about in several of his books.

hah as if folks around here would need an insult for gun happy jingoistic morons :smith:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the nascent polish nation was explicitly seeking to create a "Greater Poland". self-defense doesn't really hold up.

The plc was the last polish state though

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

yeah that's it. but i don't know if brits still use the term. the thickheaded militarists hitting corbyn for not being nuke-thirsty on that TV show... i immediately thought of orwell's blimp term. that's who he was talking about, i think specifically one of them was in charge of his home guard unit

it's a good term though. i like it.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Jun 20, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im dyin of nuke-thrist ova her

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
fucken canadian sewer blimp... duck!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhrDrE4-mI

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

JBrereton when Theresa May did her naughtiest act and ran into the field of wheat did she immediately make a show of being about to cut off her own head until she let her underlings talk her out of it at which point she symbolically decapitated herself by cutting off her hair?

Asking for a friend who is Wei interested in the answer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

man of the people

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Ramc posted:

JBrereton when Theresa May did her naughtiest act and ran into the field of wheat did she immediately make a show of being about to cut off her own head until she let her underlings talk her out of it at which point she symbolically decapitated herself by cutting off her hair?

Theresa May isn't Cao Cao. If anything she's Liu Shan.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

oi jez wagwan fam

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i knew he was a russian plant, i just knew it

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

yeah that's it. but i don't know if brits still use the term. the thickheaded militarists hitting corbyn for not being nuke-thirsty on that TV show... i immediately thought of orwell's blimp term. that's who he was talking about, i think specifically one of them was in charge of his home guard unit

it's a good term though. i like it.

It's a reference to Colonel Blimp, a '30s cartoon character. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Blimp

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Vox Nihili posted:

i knew he was a russian plant, i just knew it

nah hes just a chav

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Does the uk still count as an imperial power? I'm pretty sure half of right wing politics in this country is caused by people being insecure we don't have an empire anymore.

Well I mean, the British Empire doesn't exist anymore, but they're involved in US/western imperialism, probably the most of any other country.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Jezza nicked me mobile.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

this guy fucks

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Crashbee posted:

It's a reference to Colonel Blimp, a '30s cartoon character. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Blimp
ahhhh cool now i know

and lol that col. blimp is in that cartoon talking about building a bigger navy i guess i'm the blimpy one after all

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

https://twitter.com/GraceGleeson2/status/876908289342054401

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

No; in fact, she got BoJo to draft a condemnation of the trespassing laws, rampaged over the crops for a while, but when Gove got scared and ran off to get the farmer, her bravery faltered and, well, here we are now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

nice ice cream holding discipline

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Lenin had already attacked all of Eastern Europe by 1919 trying to "fix" Brest-Litovsk, because god history forbid the Estonians, Lithuanians, Latvians, Belorussians, Ukrainians etc. not be part of a rebranded Russian Empire.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jBrereton posted:

Lenin had already attacked all of Eastern Europe by 1919 trying to "fix" Brest-Litovsk, because god history forbid the Estonians, Lithuanians, Latvians, Belorussians, Ukrainians etc. not be part of a rebranded Russian Empire.

he was trying to free russia's sister republics

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Jezza nicked me mobile.

Jezza nicked me government - Theresa May in six months

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

jBrereton posted:

Poland didn't give a single gently caress about any of these countries self-determination and literally took Lithuania's capital as a consolation prize after getting a bloody nose and claiming victory. Poland also propped a deeply, widely hated government in Ukraine that ultimately got taken down by a mass anarchist uprising, mostly because said nationalist government was willing to recognize their claims on parts of Galicia that were strongly majority ukrainian.

Like it's really hard to see people look at Poland's interwar record and still buy the line that they cared about self-determination of anyone else when they spent most of that time trying to snatch border territories that were only minority polish at best.

Agnosticnixie has issued a correction as of 12:56 on Jun 20, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

Poland didn't give a single gently caress about any of these countries self-determination and literally took Lithuania's capital as a consolation prize after getting a bloody nose and claiming victory. Poland also propped a deeply, widely hated government in Ukraine that ultimately got taken down by a mass anarchist uprising, mostly because said nationalist government was willing to recognize their claims on parts of Galicia that were strongly majority ukrainian.

Like it's really hard to see people look at Poland's interwar record and still buy the line that they cared about self-determination of anyone else when they spent most of that time trying to snatch border territories that were only minority polish at best.
Excuse me, I'm needling a tankie, the historical truths about Greater Poland are a little irrelevant here.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Jezza nicked me government - Theresa May in six months

Tory Campaign Results: IT WAS POO.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Raeg posted:

Tory Campaign Results: IT WAS POO.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

DUPed: 2 Strong 2 Stable

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/877183056934842374

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Excuse me, I'm needling a tankie, the historical truths about Greater Poland are a little irrelevant here.

jBrereton has this framed & hung

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If she doesn't have a government how come she gets to write the speech.

I don't understand your loving country at all.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The only legitimate political entity to emerge from the Russian revolution was the Free Territory.

...as long you weren't a jew or a mennonite.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

If she doesn't have a government how come she gets to write the speech.

I don't understand your loving country at all.
Her party has the most MPs of everyone and can pass a Queen's Speech provided her own MPs vote for it, in face of the opposition.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Her party has the most MPs of everyone and can pass a Queen's Speech provided her own MPs vote for it, in face of the opposition.

Has there been an actual vote for it though or is it just based on "oh we will eventually have a deal with the dup even if there is no actual one right now" like it seems to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

Has there been an actual vote for it though or is it just based on "oh we will eventually have a deal with the dup even if there is no actual one right now" like it seems to be?
A vote for what? The Queen's Speech? No, not yet. They don't need to have any formal deal with the DUP, either, and they don't need to vote on forming it (although as pointed out already, they would win such a vote).