Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I see the presser is starting right on time 15-20 minutes late.

[BO the dog at the press conference podium]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
spicer feed live

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/press-briefing-press-secretary-sean-spicer-49

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ripoff posted:

I glanced over the form (I live within walking distance of my polling place so I didn't pay much attention) and thought that you had to be physically handicapped or otherwise absent from the state to use those. My memory is poo poo but I remember this big bold text asking you to "certify" you are not able to make it to a polling station, I'm guessing because they want to enforce the voter ID laws.

I am hopefully full of poo poo, though.

technically you're supposed to have a reason to use the absentee ballot but also technically they can't ask you what that reason is so you can do it anyway

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

theflyingorc posted:

I saw an anti "Hanoi Jane" bumper sticker last week. I seriously can't imagine why somebody still cares.

My wife was at a family thing a month or so back & was telling her mom about Frankie & Grace. Apparently that triggered her step father who went on to rage about Jane Fonda for the rest of the afternoon. He flew A1s in Vietnam, so at least it wasn't some Ted Nugent (pants) poo poo(ting), but my wife came home really confused why it still mattered.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Democrats won the popular vote by a significant amount and only lost the presidency by a tiny amount of people.

I'm fine with Full Communism though, and I think Labours gains should be very informative to Dems if they choose to pay attention.
I would be ok talking about other elections if people could keep a shred of consistency about them.

Center Left loses close election by a small margin.
Prognosis: Center Left Ideology is completely dead

Left loses a close election by a small margin.
Prognosis: Massive victory for global leftism

Center-Left wins blow out Presidential and Parliament elections
*crickets*

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Spice is live

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Xae posted:

I would be ok talking about other elections if people could keep a shred of consistency about them.

*crickets*

Different messages play well in different places, and it is important to have charisma to sell your plan, whatever it is

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HannibalBarca posted:

we're also so spread out and so economically and racially segregated that comprehensive public transit is a ludicrous pipe dream! :argh:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/877209066749267968

:cripes:

:laffo:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Man the audio is so much shitter than normal

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

empty whippet box posted:

I remember reading estimates that said things like 50,000 more deaths per year after the AHCA.

I've seen from 10k to 40k a year, depending on source.

Which is entirely too many, but won't be millions unless it lasts for a long long time.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You really are the weirdest troll gimmick I 've ever seen

Well, give me credit for thinking up something new when there are two dozen people posting "neoliberal shill"

But seriously, voting by mail increases turnout and participation, and allows more time to study the candidates, especially on down-ballot races.

Is there any reason that in 2017, "people have a hard time voting because of rain" should be an actual thing people are saying?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Xae posted:

*crickets*

The UK parliamentary system is different from France or the US. They can call for a vote more often so the matter isn't decided, it's playing out over six months.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The President understands how important health care is to many Americans

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The President has clearly indicated that he wants a bill that offers hearts as sacrifices to Acolnahuacatl

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

"The president wants a healthcare bill with heart in it*"

*A transplant heart that will be on-call for him at any time

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

glowing-fish posted:

Well, give me credit for thinking up something new when there are two dozen people posting "neoliberal shill"

But seriously, voting by mail increases turnout and participation, and allows more time to study the candidates, especially on down-ballot races.

Is there any reason that in 2017, "people have a hard time voting because of rain" should be an actual thing people are saying?

If you are put off voting by rain then you were probably not going to vote anyway

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jaxyon posted:

Democrats won the popular vote by a significant amount and only lost the presidency by a tiny amount of people.

I'm fine with Full Communism though, and I think Labours gains should be very informative to Dems if they choose to pay attention.

You can't fall back on that when the democrats have lost 1000 legislative seats since 2010.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CyberPingu posted:

If you are put off voting by rain then you were probably not going to vote anyway

in montana, umbrellas are seen as an affectation of urban homosexuals much like eating vegetables or loving your spouse

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

highme posted:

My wife was at a family thing a month or so back & was telling her mom about Frankie & Grace. Apparently that triggered her step father who went on to rage about Jane Fonda for the rest of the afternoon. He flew A1s in Vietnam, so at least it wasn't some Ted Nugent (pants) poo poo(ting), but my wife came home really confused why it still mattered.

lol I just realized that she's basically demonized by the right for crapping on the experiences of POWs in vietnam

the exact same thing they ignored with Trump

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Definitely downplaying the importance of GA-6

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Um, you know, there's personnel things happening.

lol

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

The Glumslinger posted:

Different messages play well in different places, and it is important to have charisma to sell your plan, whatever it is

This is true, for a non-Dem example Cory Gardner (CO) ran as a moderate to appeal to the tastes of the state in the 2014 midterm against a fairly well-liked incumbent. Of course, it turned out that he wasn't at all a moderate and is just another far right Republican shitheel, and for that reason he's going to be a one-term Senator, but it shows just how much messaging can help .

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dietrich posted:

The ACHA will not cause "millions of american deaths", stop being hyperbolic.

Tens of thousands of american deaths, sure. Millions of bankruptcies, wouldn't be surprised. Insane premium increases for the sick, absolutely. The loss of thousands of jobs in the health care industry and fewer options for coverage, you bet. Declining quality of life for the working poor, absolutely.

Focus on arguments that aren't completely divorced in reality, please.

The conservative estimate from the CBO was that 23 million Americans would lose health coverage over the next decade. These are mostly Medicaid recipients, the neediest in the country. You expect removing their access to health care will not cause even 9% more deaths than otherwise would have occurred had this population remained insured?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I remember a couple of months back when winning GA6 was a pipedream and all that mattered was closing the gap even if ossof lost and now the fate of the universe rides on him winning by 160% of the vote

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fuschia tude posted:

The conservative estimate from the CBO was that 23 million Americans would lose health coverage over the next decade. These are mostly Medicaid recipients, the neediest in the country. You expect removing their access to health care will not cause even 9% more deaths than otherwise would have occurred had this population remained insured?

Yes, because that's the estimate made by experts (10-40k per year). Saying "BUT SURELY IT WILL BE HIGHER THAN X" with numbers you pulled out of your rear end doesn't change that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
oooh asking him why he's been hiding and not holding on camera briefings

e: annnnd meandering nothing-answer

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I remember a couple of months back when winning GA6 was a pipedream and all that mattered was closing the gap even if ossof lost and now the fate of the universe rides on him winning by 160% of the vote

I hate Republicans so much that defeating them is easy since everyone thinks like me!

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Even that won't help the fact that his platform is literally What About All The Good Things Hitler Did?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Arh yes, please correct a non-native English speaker..

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Xae posted:

*crickets*

Center left candidate draws less support than prior, debatably more left, candidate who most viewed as having much stronger messaging.

Left barely lost an election they were supposed to be completely destroyed in, and did so despite constant intra-party sabotage. Also they picked up way more seats than they have in a while and it doesn't even look close to done.

Center-left wins blow out against deeply unpopular crypto-nazi after the further left party basically collapsed.

Perhaps... context matters?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Calaveron posted:

That's because a couple months back, we didn't think the Senate would actually pass ACHOO. Now people think the only way to stop it is to scare the Rs by taking GA6.

Also, it's because if we lose GA6, it means we'll lose in 2018 and 2020 and probably 2024.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

refleks posted:

Arh yes, please correct a non-native English speaker..

Who gives a poo poo. Stop picking non-issues to be upset about.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

COAL

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

TGLT posted:

Center left candidate draws less support than prior, debatably more left, candidate who most viewed as having much stronger messaging.

Left barely lost an election they were supposed to be completely destroyed in, and did so despite constant intra-party sabotage. Also they picked up way more seats than they have in a while and it doesn't even look close to done.

Center-left wins blow out against deeply unpopular crypto-nazi after the further left party basically collapsed.

Perhaps... context matters?

Counterpoint: only one of these examples involved americans

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Well, then the Democrats lost all of the congressional special elections in between and it's starting to feel like one thing after another around here.

I need a fuckin' win, Goddamnit.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

HannibalBarca posted:

we're also so spread out and so economically and racially segregated that comprehensive public transit is a ludicrous pipe dream! :argh:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/877209066749267968

:cripes:

"It was like God himself wanted to vote for Karen Handle."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Petr posted:

Also, it's because if we lose GA6, it means we'll lose in 2018 and 2020 and probably 2024.

This is dumb. GA-06 is not going to determine the political outcomes of the entire country for the next decade.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TGLT posted:

Center-left ... deeply unpopular crypto-nazi

Yeah huh there's no parallels to America there

Also most French folks I've encountered give the impression that "center-left" is a very generous description of Macron

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oh hey, a good skype question

"Trump says he wants to bring back coal, but the workers don't want that, they want tech you stupid shitfuck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

redneck nazgul posted:

Counterpoint: only one of these examples involved americans

Agreed? I'm not saying Ossof should run as a hard left, I'm not going to pretend to understand GA-06's culture. I'm just saying people talk about those three different events in different ways because they are more different than just "THE LEFT did the loss/win against THE RIGHT, you know, the only left and the only right, in this the shared global community."

• Locked thread