Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in most states isn't the age of consent 16 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Groovelord Neato posted:

A decent number. I'm pretty sure it's 17 where I live.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i checked age of consent is 17 in texas so he didn't need a romeo and juliet law. that makes the scene even more insane!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

People who like Transformers are generally rapists, it's no wonder that scene exists in Transformers 4

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
That scene managed to make it past the writing, shooting and editing process of modern hyper fearful, ultra safe, squeaky clean Hollywood.

Nope.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
lol that you think some producer actually gives a poo poo about a Transformers movie

lol that you think anybody in Hollywood gives a poo poo about a Transformers movie, and that includes director and kiddie fiddler Michael Bay

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FYI michael bay uses his celebrity clout to register himself as a freshmen at every single highschool in the country

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

FYI michael bay uses his celebrity clout to register himself as a freshmen at every single highschool in the country

Jokes on him I gave my butt to a Junior!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hahahaha he'll never graduate high school!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yea but Hollywood writers live in CA so they think it's 18 everywhere. You see a bunch of TV jokes making fun of not being able to gently caress a 17 year old due to this.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

On the whole, I'd rather spin a wheel and have to watch a random Transformers movie than do the same and have to watch a random Marvel movie.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Where does spinning a wheel come into this why would you ever let a wheel determine what movie you watch that's really dumb.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If somebody made a plinko board and at the bottom were Transformers movies or Star Wars movies made after the 80's, I'd just drink myself to death.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
cowabunga? cowa loving piece of dog poo poo! I'd rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in my ear! I'd rather eat the rotten rear end in a top hat of a roadkill skunk and down it with beer!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Transformers 5 opens to "England - The Dark Ages" and features knights of the round table.

Movie of the year.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

lol it honestly comes out of nowhere, has nothing to do with anything going on at the time, and contributes nothing to the plot later either.

:psyduck: does not begin to describe a reasonable persons reaction to it being included in the script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9OgW4JAJ8

lmaom holy gently caress its as good as i remembered he actually does carry it around with him

I'd heard about this scene but never actually seen it. It's so much worse than I imagined. :magical:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Shinjobi posted:

Transformers 5 opens to "England - The Dark Ages" and features knights of the round table.

Movie of the year.

I heard there is a drunk Merlin in it.

Best movie about arthurian legend this year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drunk merlin is Stanley Tucci on screen for , tops, one minute.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

vermin posted:

Saw the Mummy the other day

Feels kind of goofy in a bad way and I can't explain why. I keep thinking back to Mike's comment that it was made for foreign audiences. Like it has the same kind of dialogue and humor a kung fu comedy would have?

I don't know. When I tried explaining that to the person I went with I think they thought I was being racist.

Well heres a thing: we in the "overseas" dont watch american movies in lazy unfiltered set-english and wonder what the plot is, we dub them over with our native languages and alls good.
Mikes a loving idiot if he thinks hollywood dumbs down dialogue for foreign contries,its in fact the dumbest thing hes ever said.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Yolomon Wayne posted:

we dub them over with our native languages and alls good.

Only the lesser countries do this. The ones with a less developed, worse population

Here in northern europe we use subtitles, because we can read and we also understand english well enough that we'd never even consider dubbing

I loving hate southern europe dubbing poo poo, like how can you possibly stand it? Everytime I go there everything on TV is poo poo because of it

gently caress you

gently caress you!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EebzNUekek0

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Transformers 5 is just amazing in how loving terrible every aspect of it is. Anthony Hopkins may be the highlight of the film, if only because he knows the score and is hamming it up as best as he can.

I don't even know why optimus prime is even in it.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

Only the lesser countries do this. The ones with a less developed, worse population

Here in northern europe we use subtitles, because we can read and we also understand english well enough that we'd never even consider dubbing

I loving hate southern europe dubbing poo poo, like how can you possibly stand it? Everytime I go there everything on TV is poo poo because of it

gently caress you

gently caress you!!

We do it because german is a real language spoken by people as opposed to the guttural grunts you animals in the north use to warn each other of predators.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
lol german "people" and "language"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zzulu posted:

gently caress you

gently caress you!!

Eastern Europe dubbing is worse. They generally just lower the original voices way down and have one dude just read all the dialogue.

Also, subtitling kind of suck I think. I generally prefer not to have them, especially in movies that aren't like dramas and poo poo, they draw attention away from what's actually happening in a movie.

I also think whether a country goes the subtitling or dubbing route generally depends on how well funded their film studios or broadcasting networks are. I remember movies in Greece being subtitled and not dubbed, yet I wouldn't really rate Greeks' English skills much above those of say Italians or Spaniards. '

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 20, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Every single dub I've ever heard changed the personalities of the characters by just different tones of voice and delivery styles. I hate them. The only dubs I can enjoy are ones from childhood cartoons and shows like 'Monkey' that I have a lot of nostalgia for. It helps that the dub for 'Monkey' is loving genius hilarity.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Does Tran5formers have amazing product placement too?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Apart from the obvious vehicles, the only egregious PP was Bud light in MarkyMarks fridge.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apart from the obvious vehicles, the only egregious PP was Bud light in MarkyMarks fridge.

drat. That poo poo was amazing in 4.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yes, toy robots that change into cars.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

KakerMix posted:

Why didn't they teach astronauts how to drill

Because drillin is an art
Been doing it 15 years and still don't have it all down

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Randarkman posted:

Eastern Europe dubbing is worse. They generally just lower the original voices way down and have one dude just read all the dialogue.

I watched a Polish dub one time and I thought it was a massive technical difficulty.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cubone posted:

cowabunga? cowa loving piece of dog poo poo! I'd rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in my ear! I'd rather eat the rotten rear end in a top hat of a roadkill skunk and down it with beer!

Woah man I died laughing. Posting from hell where I'm bout to show the devil this poo poo brb.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

vermin posted:

I watched a Polish dub one time and I thought it was a massive technical difficulty.

The people who do dubs in Poland have massive skill which allows them to blend into the background at least a little bit so that you can hear bits and pieces of the original performance and emotion in the actors's voices. It's still lovely though.

Also, they used to dub live on air before betamax. One guy doing all the voices for the film he sees for the first time while it's being broadcast nationwide.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 20, 2017

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

The Bananana posted:

Because drillin is an art
Been doing it 15 years and still don't have it all down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahtp0sjA5U

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Well heres a thing: we in the "overseas" dont watch american movies in lazy unfiltered set-english and wonder what the plot is, we dub them over with our native languages and alls good.
Mikes a loving idiot if he thinks hollywood dumbs down dialogue for foreign contries,its in fact the dumbest thing hes ever said.

Except he said it's almost entirely voice-over so it's easier to do what you said.

Learn English, chump.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

From one overseas person to another: Lol.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I doubt you are this "Wayne" at all mister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The soviet tradition of voice-over is really weird. I watched all of Rick and Morty season 1 in voice-over russian and I could not understand any of the english because it was barely audible and the russian dub much louder. So why not just dub it and get rid of the english language track?
What's rad about russian voice-over work is that it's just one guy doing all the voices, and a lot of these guys are hilarious and do their best impressions of the characters. My rick and morty guy was burping and did spot on impressions of all the characters, it was quite entertaining.
.I understand the history behind it though. Western movies were all bootlegs, they didn't have access to language tracks, it was just some dudes in their apartment voicing over a VHS then sending that poo poo out.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 20, 2017

• Locked thread