Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Electromax posted:

The last 30 minutes of Infinity War will be like the fight in the background of GotG2 intro + the Avengers brief "single tracking shot" bits but for one single half-hour tracking shot of Thanos wrecking 30 dudes in a row, like that scene in The Protector where Tony Jaa fights his way up the spiral hotel atrium.

A single take asskicking ascent of Avengers tower is far too high a bar to even hope to see in the distance of a Marvel movie.

Edit: on the other hand, Marvel should absolutely take the opportunity to have Thanos hang out on Tony's couch before DC has a chance to let Darkseid take his plush throne uncontested.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Also the High Evolutionary is one of my favorite Marvel characters. He's usually kind of a gigantic prick, but it's only because he has a completely alien perspective on the world. He once evolved himself to the highest possible form of consciousness in the universe, and spent a while just exploring and learning, but soon realized the heat death of the universe would occur well before he could experience everything. So to give himself something to do that was challenging and that he couldn't immediately predict the outcome of, he de-evolved himself back into an rear end in a top hat in a purple suit and created a planet of animal people.
Perfecto!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Except way more cuts because it's the Russo brothers.

It'll hopefully have dozens of those brief shots where it's the same as the previous shot, except from a different angle or even just slightly zoomed in.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I liked the movie well enough but was curious about the comic ebcause I'd heard it was pretty good so I went back to its creation and holy poo poo, the original run was terrible!

That said, at least I understand a few of the jokes in the movie now, such as Yondu's desire to have a son, and Taserface.

Kinda sad that Mantis didn't have pyrokinetic powers in the movie, though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait I thought quasar was Adam warlock

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

kater posted:

Wait I thought quasar was Adam warlock

No those are different people.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It is Captain Marvel gets Quasar hands and then that power gets eaten by Warlock? I read Annihilation kind of recently but gosh does it sound like garbage in my mind. Moondragon & Phyla Vell should be in a movie though I agree.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It's a shame Ego was killed, we'll not get to see this in Deadpool 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was legit amazed there wasn't a single line of dialogue to explain that Drax's race always speaks literally and bluntly. An MCU movie that takes it as read that the audience will remember something is pretty bold.

Lotta parallels between this and Hellboy 2, including golden space elves.

Also am I crazy or was Baby Groot's dance move-for-move a copy of what Chris Walken did in the Fatboy Slim video? That cannot be a coincidence.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

James Gunn just danced it out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU2Kenkj0B2/?taken-by=jamesgunn&hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVIGrHYjR_n/?taken-by=jamesgunn&hl=en

quote:

Ah yes, another video of me doing the motion reference work for #BabyGroot. Believe it or not, I actually did three different versions of this dance at three different times. The first time was when I first wrote the scene, in my office st home, recorded by @simonlikes on his iPhone. That one was mostly so that I could remember the camera angles and camera movements I had in my head while writing than it did the actual dance.

The second time was on set in Atlanta with a single camera and our visual effects team. That time it was doing the dance full out - there were some bits and pieces we used - but because Groot is moving and the camera was stable I was only able to travel for very short periods. And so we did it again, this time in Los Angeles, with many cameras lined down a long space so that I could actually do all the long walks and jumps Groot was doing. That's when this is from.

For those of you who've asked, bits of the dance were ideas of things I had in my head, or things designed for the already planned camera movies, but most of it was free form made up on the spot.

The other question I've gotten asked a lot is whether or not I was just doing my regular dancing or was it in character. The answer is of course in character - I think you can see clearly in this video I'm trying to move my body that works for a little tree more than what I'd be dancing like in a nightclub in L.A.

This is of course all courtesy of the visual effects company @framestore who turned this stuff into something magical, creating one of the most impressive single shots ever.

#GuardiansoftheGalaxyVol2 is still out in theaters so go see it again this weekend! #gotgvol2 #GotGPicoftheDay #fbf #flashbackfriday #friday #instagood #filmmaking #movie #movies #dancing #love

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

I was legit amazed there wasn't a single line of dialogue to explain that Drax's race always speaks literally and bluntly. An MCU movie that takes it as read that the audience will remember something is pretty bold.
I thought Drax was an enhanced human, did they rewrite him at some point to have his own alien race?

Correction: ex-human

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 21, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coyo7e posted:

I thought Drax was an enhanced human, did they rewrite him at some point to have his own alien race?

Correction: ex-human

He's been an alien since his introduction in the first movie. The only characters from Earth in the Guardians movies so far are Peter and Rocket, who is unaware/refuses to acknowledge that he's from Earth.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rocket isn't from Earth.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Codependent Poster posted:

Rocket isn't from Earth.

Lol, look at this ignorant gently caress.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Rocket isn't from Earth.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lol, look at this ignorant gently caress.

He's from Halfworld, along with a bunch of other cybernetically enhanced animals that were made to be caretakers for a lot of mentally ill humans.

Something tells me one of the patients thought up the grand idea to make an entire planet one big insane asylum and staff it with cybernetically enhanced animals.

His buddy Wal Rus and on again, off again love interest Blackjack O'Hare are also from that planet.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
There's a part of me that wants to see Wal Rus in a movie, not gonna lie.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well they made Kurt Russell a gently caress planet so a cybernetic walrus isn't out of the picture.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Rocket isn't from Earth.

Movie one might be, or has his comic origin been confirmed?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Invalid Validation posted:

Well they made Kurt Russell a gently caress planet so a cybernetic walrus isn't out of the picture.

they are doing a giant dog that can teleport in the new inhumans tv show

TV got a lot stranger

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Avalerion posted:

I thought they did after the Nova Corp arrested them, but I guess not

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There are aliens identical to humans all over the place in Marvel space, dunno why aliens identical to raccoons would be out of the question.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rocket also hates being called a raccoon and doesn't seem to know what a raccoon is, so yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The preferred nomenclature is "trash panda", Donnie.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I always just figured Rocket was/descended from a regular-rear end earth raccoon that was just knocking over a garbage can when some aliens passed by, saw it and decided 'hey, let's grab this thing, experiment on it/modify its genetics and smarts'

I mean, isn't that kinda why Germany has such a 'waschbaren' problem? Some Baron or Kaiser saw it, decided 'let's import these weird things to hunt them' and whoops, they have no Predators there

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Avalerion posted:

Nothing has been said either way, but until they explicitly say he's from Earth, I would think that it's better to assume his comic origin and have him from Halfworld.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So this movie's kinda mixed for me. I feel it does a few things way better than the first one. The biggest one was probably fleshing out the characters. This movie made the relationships between the main characters more believable. Especially with Yondu, who I was incredibly surprised to see stole the show. When I initially saw him making a return in the trailers, I thought they just brought him back for him to do a bunch of random cool poo poo with his magic arrow or whatever. Granted, he did do a lot of that, but there was so much more to him.

I also liked how the story cleared up a lot of questions that I had in the first movie, namely, why the gently caress did Yondu kidnap Quill. A lot of the backstory between Quill and Yondu was also elaborated, and when you found out the real reason Yondu didn't take him back to Ego, you no longer felt that bad for Quill being kidnapped.

Ego was a great villain, much better than Ronan imo. One of the reasons was that, he was a legit cosmic level threat. Ronan was a scrub by comparison, and it was one of biggest things that aggravated me about the first movie. You're the Guardians of the Galaxy, so you have to fight people that can be a threat to a whole galaxy. It's not that hard!

One consistently good thing that I will say about both movies is that they have incredible art design. Nearly everything looks so drat beautiful, particularly Ego's planet (which, I guess would be Ego himself?). Everything is just so bright, colorful, and otherwordly. The shots in space have this wonderful ethereal feel to them. It's just so gorgeous.

Finally, the antenna chick was the funniest character in the movie, imo.

Okay, now the bad stuff...

The goddamned jokes. Not so much the jokes themselves, but there's two major issues with how they're used in the movie. The first is that Gunn and his writers just do not know when to loving quit. They may have a idea for a joke or a gag, which seems perfectly good on paper, but then they just beat it to death. The most glaring example of this is the Taserface scene. This was legit funny...for 3 minutes, but somehow gets extended to 15 (okay, maybe it was closer to 10, but it FELT like 15). Yes, we get it, it's a stupid name, stop trying to repeatedly explain to the audience why it's stupid. That just makes you stupid. Stupid.

The second problem with the jokes is that they're done at completely inappropriate times. A good example of that is when Ego transforms into David Hasselhoff to provide Quill a familiar face that he could relate to. Which would have been fine...if it wasn't done 30 seconds after you just told him that you murdered his goddamned mother! Then there's that scene where Quill and Ego are fighting and they turn into Skeletor and Pacman, respectively. Again, would have been a fine gag if it wasn't for the fact that it's done an incredibly climactic moment and that you wouldn't think Quill would be feeling in a very comedic or creative mood by that point.

Then there's the Gold douchebags. When the movie started, if you were like me, you might have gotten the impression that these guys were just some one off joke characters that had no purpose other than to provide an excuse to have a major space battle scene in the beginning. But no, turns out, these assholes keep on loving showing up all throughout the film. Now, even that might have not been a big deal... if it wasn't for the post credits scene. Now these dickheads, which started off as comedic fodder, are now actually have a significant role in the events for the next movie? Come the gently caress on!

Then we have the music. I might get criticized for this, but I don't care. I don't really have anything substantive to say, but I just didn't like most of the songs. Not a fan of 70s funk, so take that how you will.

And how can I forget Baby Groot? Probably my most hated character in the film. Yeah, I said it. And you know what else? I also think Hitler was right!

Finally, last two points. 1) Ego is not a celestial, he's a goddamned planet. There's a huge difference! >: ( 2) Why the hell was Stallone in this film? He added absolutely nothing to it.

So overall, I think I marginally like Guardians 2 more than the first one, but truth be told, I'm not a fan of either movie and think they're (especially the first one) immensely overrated, so that that how you will.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The comic cube and Aether were not Infinity Gems in the comics either.

Agree with you about the humor, though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It makes sense for the gotg films to have some silly gag at the climactic moment (see dance off in 1). The problem is that many of the marvel films already do this - at their own detriment - to the point that it's gotten old hat.

precision posted:

The preferred nomenclature is "trash panda", Donnie.

:yeah:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mr Interweb posted:

The second problem with the jokes is that they're done at completely inappropriate times. A good example of that is when Ego transforms into David Hasselhoff to provide Quill a familiar face that he could relate to. Which would have been fine...if it wasn't done 30 seconds after you just told him that you murdered his goddamned mother! Then there's that scene where Quill and Ego are fighting and they turn into Skeletor and Pacman, respectively. Again, would have been a fine gag if it wasn't for the fact that it's done an incredibly climactic moment and that you wouldn't think Quill would be feeling in a very comedic or creative mood by that point.

James Gunn movies have a knack for this; it's typical for the mood of a scene to swerve from high to low or vice versa (e.g. Slither, Super). I expect to see it in his movies as readily as I would John Woo's doves

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It's definitely a Marvel thing too, Doctor Strange has Rachel McCadams freaking out about the cloak about .5 seconds after The Ancient One dies .

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMe1drnZY

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm ok with this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I was wondering if they did a music video for that song.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Serf
May 5, 2011

One of my favorite little bits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was reminded a lot of Hitchhiker's Guide by this movie, especially Ego's introduction and his retro egg spaceship aesthetic.

FTL travel getting weird is always fun. It's breaking what everyone knows to be one of the most explicit laws of physics, it makes a sort of sense that it SHOULD be weird.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

When is this available for home viewing again?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The MSJ posted:

When is this available for home viewing again?

Came out for purchase as a digital download yesterday. Physical disc release is in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMe1drnZY

Now I need a video of Josh Brolin as Thanos singing Cyndi Lauper.

• Locked thread