Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

He's got the same problem Chris Roberts has. They haven't produced poo poo in well over a decade and development has moved on from the days where 5 guys could bang out a game in a year.
5 guys can totally still bang out a game in...well, okay it'll take them more than a year, but still, tiny studios have put out tons of great poo poo lately. They just need to set reasonable goals for themselves and be willing to put in the effort.

Unfortunately that means none of this crazy poo poo:

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
If you think Garriott plans to spend any time actually developing this project Ive got bad news for you. Hell continue to milk it and show up for the occasional presser but hes an "idea" guy, not a "does work" guy.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno about that. I think if he invents a time machine, uses the time machine to go back in time, murders his younger self, feeds the body to himself and some pigs, then does a kickstarter for a modest reboot of the Ultima franchise while refraining from hiring every Tom, Dick, and Harry who ever winked at him, we could have a nice little game real soon now!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

He's the king of the castle AND a dirty rascal

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So this game turned out to be scam right? That's the consensus?

I wouldn't say that. They have actually produced something that you can log in to, fight mobs, harvest (painfully) resources, craft things, and build towns and houses (that last bit literally requires hundreds to thousands of dollars). And the server is still online.

It's just not a great game. Or fun.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i really think it's moved into scam territory with this seedinvest nonsense

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Soup du Journey posted:

i really think it's moved into scam territory with this seedinvest nonsense

It's a scam. When original backers of the game have no way to express their opinion even on the small dying various forums without being policed, you don't need to be an insider to know this is a sinking ship run by dickheads. I'll even go further: Garriot will never actually create anything good again.

His last major success was a lawsuit where he got paid for being fired from an MMO that went offline. Prior to that his last major success was talking about his last major success.

Ultima is still good, everyone here (except the two guys who donated 500 dollars) can piss on this fire as a hobby a few minutes a week for fun, why not? Closest thing you'll get to any justice, as you will not get your money back

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

So what's Lum's equivalent of silent fang?

Caydiem is now officially mainly known for her work on wildstar, which was fine, and in wildstar it meant it was far better than everything else in the game. Occasionally she'd drop by the thread back when that particular ship was sinking but still above water. She's presumed dead.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Well maybe the people in the Wildstar thread who kept telling her they hoped she would lose her job and starve to death had their wish partially come true!

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

extra stout posted:

It's a scam. When original backers of the game have no way to express their opinion even on the small dying various forums without being policed, you don't need to be an insider to know this is a sinking ship run by dickheads.

I made a post on a Steam thread a few months ago, answering a guy's question directly (I think the question was something like "what is there to do once I get out of the first zone"). I gave tips on where to head first, and what to expect along the way. The thread moved on with a couple other posts about how lovely the game is. I agreed.

Their Steam moderator loving deleted my helpful post which answered the question, and then locked the thread because all of the replies were "off topic".

From what I can tell, lurking on the periphery of this tirefire, hundreds of people have been banned from their forums and the steam threads at this point. Hell, they're apparently even over-moderating the Reddit dedicated to their lovely game - somehow. Yes, I know Portalarium claims they have no control over the Reddit moderation, but, uh, I don't believe them one bit:

some guy on steam came out of the closet to say: posted:

On your official forums your community manager said you guys were working on turning things around on r/shroudoftheavatar and right after he posted that the sub started banning people and posts started getting deleted. Maybe a coincidence, but this makes it all seem coordinated.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/reddit.91467/page-3#post-822915

"While there are certainly problems with the game's subreddit right now, let's not blanket the entire reddit community there as trolls. Yes, this is an obvious problem, and we will be working on turning this around as soon as we can continue more constructive conversations there, but until that happens, it won't help to feed them here.

I'm going to close this thread down due to the turn it took. Feel free to create a new thread with more positive energy on how we can actually make reddit a more constructive place free of toxic behavior."

It's incredible to me how badly this company is loving up. Have you jokers never heard of the Streisand effect?!

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

CoffeeBooze posted:

Well maybe the people in the Wildstar thread who kept telling her they hoped she would lose her job and starve to death had their wish partially come true!

She posts very occasionally, as Cyster I believe.

30.5 Days posted:

Caydiem is now officially mainly known for her work on wildstar, which was fine, and in wildstar it meant it was far better than everything else in the game.

I think she worked on the little mini-dungeon adventures. Can't remember what they were called (scenarios? adventures?), and can't be arsed looking up anything to do with Wildstar. But yeah it seemed to be the best part of that game.

I mean, poo poo, I'm not Alexander deLarge, but I do my share of trying out a whole lot of MMOs. I would be happy with Shroud as either an MMO or as a single player game if any of it were fun to play. It just isn't. I only bought the base game on Steam for, like, $40 or whatever, so I'm not out anything for real.

At least I've managed to find some fun with hacking the single player version. It's been nice to get back into that. The game is a lot more fun with infinite gold.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 19, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thursday Next posted:

"While there are certainly problems with the game's subreddit right now, let's not blanket the entire reddit community there as trolls. Yes, this is an obvious problem, and we will be working on turning this around as soon as we can continue more constructive conversations there, but until that happens, it won't help to feed them here.

I'm going to close this thread down due to the turn it took. Feel free to create a new thread with more positive energy on how we can actually make reddit a more constructive place free of toxic behavior."

Suppressive Person, often abbreviated SP, is a term used in Scientology to describe the "antisocial personalities" who, according to Scientology's founder L. Ron Hubbard, make up about 2.5% of the population. A statement on a Church of Scientology website describes this group as including notorious historic figures such as Adolf Hitler.

The term is often applied to those whom the Church perceives as its enemies, such as those whose "disastrous" and "suppressive" acts are said to impede the progress of individual Scientologists or the Scientology movement.

One of the reasons Scientology doctrines portray Suppressive Persons as such a danger is that they are supposed to make people around them become Potential Trouble Sources (abbreviated PTS). Scientology defines a PTS as "a person who is in some way connected to and being adversely affected by a suppressive person. Such a person is called a potential trouble source because he can be a lot of trouble to himself and to others." Hubbard suggested that Potential Trouble Sources make up 17.5% of the population.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Thursday Next posted:

I think she worked on the little mini-dungeon adventures. Can't remember what they were called (scenarios? adventures?), and can't be arsed looking up anything to do with Wildstar. But yeah it seemed to be the best part of that game.

I mean, poo poo, I'm not Alexander deLarge, but I do my share of trying out a whole lot of MMOs. I would be happy with Shroud as either an MMO or as a single player game if any of it were fun to play. It just isn't. I only bought the base game on Steam for, like, $40 or whatever, so I'm not out anything for real.

At least I've managed to find some fun with hacking the single player version. It's been nice to get back into that. The game is a lot more fun with infinite gold.

Shiphands were cool, I think she also worked on part of farside but not the really cool part.

EDIT: idk to what extent this is a personal grudge due to the dude never listening to my personal bugbears with the game, but I think hiring an engineer to be the sole systems designer for your totally-not-an-MMO might have been a bad choice.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
2 questions:
Is this A Good Game?
And is the pvp bad?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

extra stout posted:

Suppressive Person, often abbreviated SP, is a term used in Scientology to describe the "antisocial personalities" who, according to Scientology's founder L. Ron Hubbard, make up about 2.5% of the population. A statement on a Church of Scientology website describes this group as including notorious historic figures such as Adolf Hitler.

The term is often applied to those whom the Church perceives as its enemies, such as those whose "disastrous" and "suppressive" acts are said to impede the progress of individual Scientologists or the Scientology movement.

One of the reasons Scientology doctrines portray Suppressive Persons as such a danger is that they are supposed to make people around them become Potential Trouble Sources (abbreviated PTS). Scientology defines a PTS as "a person who is in some way connected to and being adversely affected by a suppressive person. Such a person is called a potential trouble source because he can be a lot of trouble to himself and to others." Hubbard suggested that Potential Trouble Sources make up 17.5% of the population.

Wait, is someone on the dev team a Scientologist?

If the Seedinvest doesn't work they could start a religion like L Ron did.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

2 questions:
Is this A Good Game?
And is the pvp bad?

Its pretty fun and has a lot of interesting systems but if you are one of those weirdos who plays MMOs obsessively you should probably stay away because it has the potential to become a massive time sink.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
THe game has a really cool soloable main quest that has largely gone unfinished as they've concentrated more and more on the MMO aspects. The MMO aspects are a dumpster fire, though, where none of the systems really work, some encourage grouping while others actively discourage, everything's very runescape-aimless-grind-focused, but unlike runescape worlds are largely empty. When I stopped playing, the basic thesis of the game was grinding up a lot of different trees to combine magical synergies to become an unkillable god-king and then posting screenshots of you killing increasingly exotic group encounters solo (these encounters aren't particularly groupable because none of the holy trinity roles work at all, but enemy damage and HP are tuned as though they do). Sometime after I left, they eliminated a lot of the buff-stacking that made that work, but I think the end result was that there was nothing to do.

The PVP is opt-in but despite regular insistence that they're going to, there's no reason whatsoever to do it, so nobody ever opts in. Like a year ago they said they were going to improve shardfall resource yields to justify going into them, but as far as I can tell that never happened. It might have, though: the designers like the idea of Ultima secrets & discoveries so much that they'll frequently keep secret even changes that are supposed to incentivize a particular behavior from players, nullifying those incentives.

Ultimately if they'd make some progress on the single player story it'd be worth buying for that, but I don't think they ever will at this point.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
For as disappointing as almost every aspect of this game has been, there is some fun in it. It is not long-term, and it is not of great quality.

There are probably a few dozen hours of fun in this game that you can easily find without putting in much effort. If, from there, you go looking for more, you can find a few more dozen hours of fun.

If you liked the Ultima series (not just UO), you can probably find enough of its spirit to run around for a few hours and enjoying yourself, but only if you can get it at a deep discount. That said, if you're an Ultima or Garriott fanboy, you probably already pledged.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My biggest regret is not being able to recreate the "Hello neighbour" screenshot in this game, since my house in Estgard doesn't have any.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

MMOs are just broken toys.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Thursday Next posted:

MMOs are just toys for the broken.

ftfy

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Toys for the Broken should be what Lum names his next blog.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Did anyone tell Mr. British that people like loot in MMOs not lutes in broken toys?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Capntastic posted:

Did anyone tell Mr. British that people like loot in MMOs not lutes in broken toys?

I don't think no one told Mr. British anything about what people like in MMOs.

Including his own development team.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

iminers posted:

I don't think no one told Mr. British anything about what people like in MMOs.

Including his own development team.

What? Don't be ridiculous. In fact, Lord British is currently hosting a hard-hitting AMA on Reddit, where he's getting such gems as

quote:

thanks for sharing your dreams with us

and

quote:

How close are we to be able to brew our own beer?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I love how basically every question is answered by saying

quote:

Yes! It's coming soon. New quests, new NPCs, new secrets, new puzzles, new world story, wandering traders, new animals, new group content, brewing, eating, cooking, farming, agriculture, end-game improvements, single-player and group improvements, better dev communication, creature variety, dungeons, an entire crafting overhaul, fixed content bugs, new map features, new quest tracking system, new ways to interact with NPCs, setting offline party AI and equipment, player item drops anywhere, mounts, new pets, game engine optimization, new dev tools, international servers, new music, all physical rewards for backers, new skills, new titles, armor and clothing dyes, sidequests, dynamic content, PvP overhaul and castle conquering, hiding helms and cloaks, combat overhaul, furniture and decoration crafting, followers in online areas, new Lunar Rift areas, and much more all coming before the end of the year. Thanks for backing! And please see our SeedInvest site.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

TheAgent posted:

"and please see our seedinvest site." :lol:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i have no strong opinion on lum one way or the other (though i used to enjoy reading his thoughts on uo), but i feel that instead of turning his nose up at us truthtellers, he should commit honorable seppuku and wash away the stain his deeds have caused

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think he's punished enough for having to work on shroud of the avatar

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd much rather have a clean beheading than crawling into work and watching richard garriotts rat tailed head whiz by on some wheeled robot, yelling at everyone for not making things cool and neat like the pathfinder campaign he played last night

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

OK, respect where it's due. This is genuinely funny:

quote:

Why did you spend all of our money making virtual hats?

quote:

We LOVE hats! There is literally no better use of our time or resources. We plan to make thousands of hats soon that will cover every visible surface of the game world! These hats will all be very high-poly so it may impact your gameplay experience slightly but I think you'll agree it's worth it, because hats are so cool!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

TheAgent posted:

I believe this is known as the Trump Approach, just promise every loving think you can think of and then some and hope enough suckers believe yo.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Thursday Next posted:

OK, respect where it's due. This is genuinely funny:

what? link to this please.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Still no hat rack

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
port's seedinvest is sitting at around $125,000 or around 6% of their investment goal

they have 46 days left to raise around $1.85m and at this point all the heavy whales have already bought in

the company is not going to see the end of the year unless garriott puts in another $5m to bail em out

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
which he is not, absolutely not, willing to do

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

If they don't make $500k they have to give it all back, so they should be really hoping for that.

Not looking good though.

Meanwhile, you can participate in their party contest and win another hat.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

TheAgent posted:

which he is not, absolutely not, willing to do

Mr. Garriot given how passionate you've been about this game for four years could you contribute one percent of your own wealth to the project? No? Well then, could we get a finished single player game and our autistic Egyptian symbol necklaces mailed to us?

Hello?

I guess the call dropped

MORE EXCITING NEWS:

This permament alpha soon to collapse is spending a whole day of development- Streaming the in game birthday party of Lord British! Six hours of Twitch streaming, we're talking easily 190 people will watch this. That day wouldn't have been used for making the game much better anyway, let's celebrate theft

extra stout fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 23, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

port's seedinvest is sitting at around $125,000 or around 6% of their investment goal

they have 46 days left to raise around $1.85m and at this point all the heavy whales have already bought in

the company is not going to see the end of the year unless garriott puts in another $5m to bail em out

Its more than Thermidor got!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
do you think LB would be willing to put in guillotines