Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

anthonypants posted:

Camping in the right lane means you won't/can't merge to the left when people are merging from an onramp, and that's way worse than any problem centered around someone going the speed limit in the left lane.

quote:

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.
Left lane campers are objectively bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

Camping in the right lane means you won't/can't merge to the left when people are merging from an onramp, and that's way worse than any problem centered around someone going the speed limit in the left lane.

First, that's what the center lane is for. And second, the law doesn't literally mean 'unless you are passing you can't be in the left lane'. It is saying that you can't hold up traffic by going the same speed in the left lane as the other lanes, as the left lane is literally the passing lane. In heavier traffic situations, the left lane will fill up. That is normal. But the left lane should be going faster than other lanes, and if you are causing that slow down, move over.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

twodot posted:

Left lane campers are objectively bad.

anthonypants posted:

Hey look, I can bold text too!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Peachfart posted:

First, that's what the center lane is for. And second, the law doesn't literally mean 'unless you are passing you can't be in the left lane'. It is saying that you can't hold up traffic by going the same speed in the left lane as the other lanes, as the left lane is literally the passing lane. In heavier traffic situations, the left lane will fill up. That is normal. But the left lane should be going faster than other lanes, and if you are causing that slow down, move over.

Most highways are only two lanes, though. I mean, yeah, the interstate and some bigger ones have a center lane, but in my experience left lane camping is mostly a problem on two lane roads.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How dare you impugn the divine right to drive 20 over in the left lane without ever having to slow down for someone driving a mere 10 over.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

xrunner posted:

Most highways are only two lanes, though. I mean, yeah, the interstate and some bigger ones have a center lane, but in my experience left lane camping is mostly a problem on two lane roads.

Okay, let's assume a two lane road. If we apply the same standard that I described, you will notice that those people who wish to drive faster will generally stay in the left lane, only moving right when someone behind them wishes to drive faster than them. Larger and slower vehicles will generally stay on the right.
In light traffic: Both lanes move freely, with left lane going faster.
In heavier traffic: The left lane will fill up with people wanting to go faster than the slowing right lane. The highway is properly at capacity.

And merging is a problem only properly solved by decently long merging lanes.

Javid posted:

How dare you impugn the divine right to drive 20 over in the left lane without ever having to slow down for someone driving a mere 10 over.

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

And merging is a problem only properly solved by decently long merging lanes.
I can't seriously be the only person who's wanted to merge onto a highway, and be forced to slow way the gently caress down because some idiot in the right lane won't merge to their left, despite having ample time and space to do so.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

anthonypants posted:

I can't seriously be the only person who's wanted to merge onto a highway, and be forced to slow way the gently caress down because some idiot in the right lane won't merge to their left, despite having ample time and space to do so.

That is a problem, too. Self driving cars can't become the norm soon enough.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

anthonypants posted:

Sorry dude but when merging it is kind of on you to match to the speed of traffic and find a space.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

Sorry dude but when merging it is kind of on you to match to the speed of traffic and find a space.
So you believe there should be yield signs at the onramps?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

I'll do you one better - I keep running into folks ahead of me who will refuse to accelerate to a normal freeway speed while using the on ramp. I'm talking speeds of around 35-40 when I-5 traffic is going 60+.

Javid posted:

I just move to the right for those folks. Having received a phone call a few months ago from my dad to get to the hospital before my mother passed away, I don't really judge folks who are in a hurry.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

Um... it is the onus on the person merging in to find a space for themselves and to match freeway speeds. People may be nice and left you in, but it isn't on them to open a space for you.

I really don't mean to be rude, but this is all really basic driving knowledge.

Edit: http://www.heraldnet.com/news/state-patrol-offers-insight-on-merging-traffic/

quote:

To do this, the State Patrol relies on two laws. One (RCW 46.61.190) addresses vehicles entering a stop or yield intersection. The second (RCW 46.61.195) covers the designation of highways as arterials and when a stop is necessary before entering an arterial.

Basically, because freeways have arterial status, vehicles already on the highway have the right-of-way over vehicles entering from the right, or coming from a ramp. If a State Patrol trooper responds to a collision between a car on the ramp and a car already on the highway, the car coming from the ramp would be cited for failure to yield under one of these laws.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 20, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

Um... it is the onus on the person merging in to find a space for themselves and to match freeway speeds. People may be nice and left you in, but it isn't on them to open a space for you.

I really don't mean to be rude, but this is all really basic driving knowledge.
It is actually pretty loving rude when you clowns think it's good to crowd the right lane and ignore anyone who wants to merge into that lane, to include people who are merging from an onramp, or who are merging to take an offramp.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

So you believe there should be yield signs at the onramps?

Many of them do have them, however under Oregon and also Washington law the merging driver is required to yield and can be ticketed for failing to do so, regardless of whether there is a yield sign. I am on a phome otherwise I would link it for you.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

anthonypants posted:

It is actually pretty loving rude when you clowns think it's good to crowd the right lane and ignore anyone who wants to merge into that lane, to include people who are merging from an onramp, or who are merging to take an offramp.

So much for the tolerant left (lane)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I don't think you understand, he's saying "if the world worked like it does in my mind there would be no problem, so what are you complaining about?".

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

real glad I don't drive rn

I just have to deal with heat stroke in the summer and hypothermia in the winter as I play the "will the bus arrive?" game

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Lol nice meltdown.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

yo it's hella rude when I have to stop at a roundabout because those dicks already in the circle aren't yielding to me the person that is actually supposed to be yielding

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

do you know who I am?!?!?!?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

If we're going to suggest excessive left lane camping as the norm I propose we also scrap the light rail construction and just build more roads and freeways.

They both make just as much sense in easing traffic congestion.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

yo it's hella rude when I have to stop at a roundabout because those dicks already in the circle aren't yielding to me the person that is actually supposed to be yielding
Everyone in Washington state loves that guy who comes to a complete stop at the end of the onramp

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Steve Jorbs posted:

If we're going to suggest excessive left lane camping as the norm I propose we also scrap the light rail construction and just build more roads and freeways.

They both make just as much sense in easing traffic congestion.

Left lane campers do cause a great deal of congestion, and also cause road rage. It's also the largest single compliant the state patrol receives. It is the norm, even if you don't see it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

Left lane campers do cause a great deal of congestion, and also cause road rage. It's also the largest single compliant the state patrol receives. It is the norm, even if you don't see it.
What would that complaint look like? "Someone is going too slow in the fast lane"?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

I don't think you understand, he's saying "if the world worked like it does in my mind there would be no problem, so what are you complaining about?".

The world literally does work like that. I'm sorry you are unable to drive in a legal fashion.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

The world literally does work like that. I'm sorry you are unable to drive in a legal fashion.

I don't have trouble driving, I'm just pointing out that other people have trouble and no matter how many articles and laws you post isn't going to change the fact that there is a problem and pretending like it's fine is the reason poo poo doesn't get improved.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

I don't have trouble driving, I'm just pointing out that other people have trouble and no matter how many articles and laws you post isn't going to change the fact that there is a problem and pretending like it's fine is the reason poo poo doesn't get improved.

??? I said that merging can be fixed with better merging lanes, and my only claim was that the left lane is the passing lane and that you must move over.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

??? I said that merging can be fixed with better merging lanes, and my only claim was that the left lane is the passing lane and that you must move over.

So advocating for more police enforcement before your "better merging lanes" fix is doing what? Also telling people the law as it is doesn't address the problem either. Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension, I'm saying you aren't offering solutions, all you're doing is telling people how they're wrong and "here's why".

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

So advocating for more police enforcement before your "better merging lanes" fix is doing what? Also telling people the law as it is doesn't address the problem either. Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension, I'm saying you aren't offering solutions, all you're doing is telling people how they're wrong and "here's why".

You are reading a different thread than I am, so I'm out. All I'd like to say is please follow the rules of the road by moving right unless passing. Have a pleasant day. :angel:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

What would that complaint look like? "Someone is going too slow in the fast lane"?

Not sure to be honest, I presume it's calls along the lines of "This rear end in a top hat isn't passing anyone and refuses to move right to let others by". I've just heard this repeatedly from WST folks during interviews on this issue.

ElCondemn posted:

You realize that police don't design or pave roads, right? Also, one of the big problems is that lots of folks don't even realize that it is the law in the first place. I always hear about people who are absolutely shocked that they need to move right to allow others to pass, despite the numerous signs on I-5 and elsewhere.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
It's funny cause the residents in every other city I've lived in just automatically do this and it's not a problem. Only in Seattle do I constantly end up behind a left lane driver matching a 5 MPH under pace with the car on their right.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

Not sure to be honest, I presume it's calls along the lines of "This rear end in a top hat isn't passing anyone and refuses to move right to let others by". I've just heard this repeatedly from WST folks during interviews on this issue.

You realize that police don't design or pave roads, right? Also, one of the big problems is that lots of folks don't even realize that it is the law in the first place. I always hear about people who are absolutely shocked that they need to move right to allow others to pass, despite the numerous signs on I-5 and elsewhere.
To "let others by" would be to merge right to allow faster drivers to pass you on the left, right? If you're already going the speed limit then you shouldn't need to worry about that. And I know how deeply concerned everyone in this thread is in regard to traffic laws, so I can't imagine anyone would even consider going faster than the marked speed limit.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Self-driving cars will only be good if you can afford the premium right-of-way package.

George fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 20, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

To "let others by" would be to merge right to allow faster drivers to pass you on the left, right? If you're already going the speed limit then you shouldn't need to worry about that. And I know how deeply concerned everyone in this thread is in regard to traffic laws, so I can't imagine anyone would even consider going faster than the marked speed limit.

OMG it all makes sense now. Anthonypants is the the grandpa sitting in the left lane insisting that nobody should be going faster than the speed limit and that he is actually doing the mass of drivers building up behind him a huge favor by keeping them from breaking the law and getting arrested.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

OMG it all makes sense now. Anthonypants is the the grandpa sitting in the left lane insisting that nobody should be going faster than the speed limit and that he is actually doing the mass of drivers building up behind him a huge favor by keeping them from breaking the law and getting arrested.
You've gotten all mixed up now. I'm the one pointing out how absurd the laws are, and you're the ones quoting them at me.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

RCW 46.61.100 is really loving clear on this issue.

quote:

Legislative intent—1986 c 93: "It is the intent of the legislature, in this 1985 [1986] amendment of RCW 46.61.100, that the left-hand lane on any state highway with two or more lanes in the same direction be used primarily as a passing lane." [ 1986 c 93 § 1.]

If you aren't moving to the right, you are breaking the law. Staying there because you think it's ok or to teach others a lesson does nothing but increase congestion and road rage. If you don't like it, move to WA, become a resident and author an initiative.

Have you ever received a phone call from a loved one telling you to get to the hospital because another loved one is about to die? Just move to the right, it's not that difficult. You have no clue why the person behind you needs to get where they are going, so just let them on their way instead of blocking traffic.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Peachfart posted:

merging cannot be fixed with better merging lanes because at some point that lane will end and somebody will have to merge or stop in the middle of the freeway apparently. the only solution is for each on ramp to be its own lane forever.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I mean, I see people going slow in the left lane, but rarely enough to feel like my rights have been impeded on. This just feels like one of those "I'm right and want to punish those who are wrong" laws. And also whoever pointed out that it will probably be used against minorities unjustly is right, too.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

merging cannot be fixed with better merging lanes because at some point that lane will end and somebody will have to merge or stop in the middle of the freeway apparently. the only solution is for each on ramp to be its own lane forever.
Perhaps...the right lane should only be for people who want to merge onto or off of the highway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

anthonypants posted:

What the gently caress