Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Did anyone get a look at what prescriptions Chuck was taking when he wrote in his dream journal? Don't a lot of anti-psychotics and depression drugs have an increased chance of suicical thoughts and actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah that was my first thought too. And then I liked the twist that Erin was in on the whole plan.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Mob posted:

Before Chuck started tearing up his house he took an Ambien. Those things will gently caress you up good.

hey dummy his journal said "Ambient", sit closer to the TV next time

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Heres a screenshot of Chucks journal

sertraline
clonazepam
quetiapine

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

Did anyone get a look at what prescriptions Chuck was taking when he wrote in his dream journal? Don't a lot of anti-psychotics and depression drugs have an increased chance of suicical thoughts and actions?

That seems like a pretty big side effect. I always wondered how those managed to make it past the FDA.

"It will help you get better!....but let us know if you feel like killing yourself though."

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I love Damon Lindelof and I'm sure he's looking for his next project but I don't want him anywhere near this writer's room.

Well, they have to keep Michael McKean. They could have him come back as a talking dog like in Poochinski, but I just think that ghost-Chuck is a better idea.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Good show finale, but I don't really understand it completely. Jimmy didn't turn into Saul and instead he is a good guy now? Is this like a parallel universe thing, like in that show "Sliders"?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Good show finale, but I don't really understand it completely. Jimmy didn't turn into Saul and instead he is a good guy now? Is this like a parallel universe thing, like in that show "Sliders"?

it is. there's no way they're going to tie this in to the breaking bad universe in some way, it is not canon

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

yes its certainly not a character study of a multifaceted man.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Not to single you out or throw shade, but it's a little baffling to me that some viewers aren't satisfied with a multifaceted character journey with ebbs and flows. Jimmy is written like a real human, who makes efforts and backslides and tries and fails and gives up and gets motivated and loses hope etc etc. The whole point of the show is "How did Jimmy become Saul?" Well from episode 1, Jimmy is already shady and scammy and allying with disreputable characters. He wasn't ever that far from Saul to begin with. I really like the way BCS has humanized Saul from BB and elevated him from a 2 note semi-cliche (beloved though he was).

Jimmy's whole arc reminds me of the last few episodes of BB - you know how it has to end, but part of you is rooting for the impossible, hoping for things to turn out right. That's part of the heartbreak, especially of this last episode where Jimmy apparently "broke good"; you know it won't last. And if you take Kim (the show's best character) to be Jimmy's anchor to decency, I think we all know how this has to end... :smith:

edit: drat, someone beat me to "multifaceted"

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I don't think Jimmy publicly admitting to turning Irene's friend's against her is such a selfless act as people in this thread think it is. If he had already convinced her to take the settlement money it would have been a different thing, but the reason he did it was because it became obvious to him that his original plan didn't work and he was only making things worse by trying to talk them into making up. His career in elderly law was finished, true, but that whole probation thing was already putting it at great risk. And never was it even hinted that he is gonna lose his finder's fee when the case eventually settles. He will eventually get his money either way.

There was definitely a lot of conscience involved in the decision, but it was nowhere near taking a full step back from becoming Saul.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rexides posted:

I don't think Jimmy publicly admitting to turning Irene's friend's against her is such a selfless act as people in this thread think it is. If he had already convinced her to take the settlement money it would have been a different thing, but the reason he did it was because it became obvious to him that his original plan didn't work and he was only making things worse by trying to talk them into making up. His career in elderly law was finished, true, but that whole probation thing was already putting it at great risk. And never was it even hinted that he is gonna lose his finder's fee when the case eventually settles. He will eventually get his money either way.

There was definitely a lot of conscience involved in the decision, but it was nowhere near taking a full step back from becoming Saul.

When did they ever say Irene wasn't going to settle before Jimmy confessed? His scheme worked fine, except for the part where Irene's friends ended up being terrible friends and refused to take her back.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rexides posted:

She had taken the settlement though. That's why Erin got involved and why Jimmy was like "yeah you'll get a call in an hour."
But yeah, he's still getting the money EVENTUALLY, just not right now.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it never ceased to amaze how people would talk about heisenberg and walter white like they were two different people and i can't say i'm surprised it's happening now with jimmy and saul

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

yes its certainly not a character study of a multifaceted man.

There is nothing multifaceted about Saul Goodman in BB. He is a scummy piece of poo poo in that show. In comparison, Jimmy seems like a really decent guy deep down, especially to Kim. I'm sure there is a fascinating story to be told about Jimmy breaking bad, but this ain't it.

Wish this didn't have to tie into BB at all, but that would have been a much harder show to sell to AMC, I guess.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

AnoHito posted:

When did they ever say Irene wasn't going to settle before Jimmy confessed? His scheme worked fine, except for the part where Irene's friends ended up being terrible friends and refused to take her back.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

She had taken the settlement though. That's why Erin got involved and why Jimmy was like "yeah you'll get a call in an hour."

Derp. I was watching Jimmy's scene with Irene and I thought she still had second thoughts about taking the settlement. Then I watched the scene with Erin again, and she specifically mentions that Irene asked them to accept the settlement.

My other points still stand though.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

That seems like a pretty big side effect. I always wondered how those managed to make it past the FDA.

"It will help you get better!....but let us know if you feel like killing yourself though."

My understanding is that when you're depressed, you just don't feel like doing anything, including suicide. Some antidepressants will address the former, but not the latter.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jimmys transformation isn't like walts. Walts was a series of increasingly self deluded rationalisations, he lied to himself about what he was until the very end.

Jimmys coming from a different place, he knows what he is and he's trying to find a way he can live with it. Saul Goodman as a persona isn't totally amoral, he shocks Walt in his first appearance by refusing to take a bribe to betray a client.

His change into this new persona isn't just about him doing increasingly worse things. Sneaking around doing confidence scams on old ladies is in some ways beneath Saul.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
At this point in the show I think either direction for Jimmy to take with the situation with Irene makes sense for his character. But one direction is interesting and rewarding to the audience and the other is teasing the audience and keeping the future of the show ambiguous so they can stretch this out for as many seasons as they can.

I thought this was the best season until this episode. Kim's car accident had almost no repercussions other than a broken arm. Both clients were accepting of it and the Texas guy even sent her gifts. Mike and Nacho are exactly in the position we thought they would be, so in other words a season long arc that did little more than connect the dots. I bet it will turn out that Chuck didn't even actually die.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rexides posted:

TVIV.txt

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rexides posted:

He could have thrown Irene in the ditch and came back the next year and kept practicing elder law. A Saul move would have been to do just that. Instead, Jimmy threw away his entire client base in order to convince all of them that it wasn't Irene's fault.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Erin says to Jimmy "I had to practically drag the information out of [Irene] that you filled her head and all her friends' heads with lies." Irene had no idea Jimmy was talking with her friends about the settlement. She's listening to Jimmy say all these awful things that he sorta kinda believes but is playing way the hell up and she's the only one in the room who knows he's saving her from himself.

Oh my god.
It's the loving Ozymandias phone call again.

I'll admit I was really confused that so many goons seemed to miss that the look Irene gives Saul is "I know you did this for me" and not "You are such a piece of poo poo". She absolutely knew he was taking the fall on purpose.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

At this point in the show I think either direction for Jimmy to take with the situation with Irene makes sense for his character. But one direction is interesting and rewarding to the audience and the other is teasing the audience and keeping the future of the show ambiguous so they can stretch this out for as many seasons as they can.

I thought this was the best season until this episode. Kim's car accident had almost no repercussions other than a broken arm. Both clients were accepting of it and the Texas guy even sent her gifts. Mike and Nacho are exactly in the position we thought they would be, so in other words a season long arc that did little more than connect the dots. I bet it will turn out that Chuck didn't even actually die.
Kim's accident got Jimmy thinking and sent him to Chuck's house, which could have been a factor in dragging Chuck down. Chuck's description of Jimmy's character and behavior likely led to Jimmy reversing his Sandpiper settlement scheme. Kim also seems to have undergone a serious change in demeanor post accident!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I'll admit I was really confused that so many goons seemed to miss that the look Irene gives Saul is "I know you did this for me" and not "You are such a piece of poo poo". She absolutely knew he was taking the fall on purpose.
I actually didn't realize it until a second viewing but even watching it live that look stood out to me and I'm glad I know why now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The repercussions for Kim's accident was everything that happens with Jimmy's plotline.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheDon01 posted:

Heres a screenshot of Chucks journal

sertraline
clonazepam
quetiapine

That's a cocktail that would render most people catatonic, yeesh.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

He could have thrown Irene in the ditch and came back the next year and kept practicing elder law. A Saul move would have been to do just that. Instead, Jimmy threw away his entire client base in order to convince all of them that it wasn't Irene's fault.

I agree, he would have gone full Saul. I am just saying that he is still well on the way there, and his admission of his scheme does not somehow reset his Saul-O-Meter back to zero like some posters here claim.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Rexides posted:

I agree, he would have gone full Saul. I am just saying that he is still well on the way there, and his admission of his scheme does not somehow reset his Saul-O-Meter back to zero like some posters here claim.

No one claimed this, they claimed he was a human who did good and bad and sometimes triumphed and sometimes failed.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Rexides posted:

Is anybody really saying this? All people are saying is that he hasn't lost his humanity yet, which is true

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Solice Kirsk posted:

America loving sucks is the answer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think we're ever gonna see him truly lose his humanity. Maybe Saul was all......an act. And everynight he went back home to Kim and they discussed the crazy weirdness Walt was getting into. And she's the day manager at Cinnabon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chadzok posted:

I hope Hamlin feels guilty, because he was a right loving prick having a mentally ill man clapped out of the building like that. There were way more ways he could have dealt with Chuck than forcing him into retirement and humiliating him. Chucks ashes are on his hands.

No, Chuck forced Hamlin's hand. Chuck was going to ruin the company (suing the firm that provides malpractice insurance for a hundred employees, after he demonstrated his own incompetence in front of the bar association? Seriously? Any decent lawyer knows when to fight and when they've been beaten) out of personal pride, believing that he couldn't possibly have lost his edge. Right up to the end, Chuck kept insisting that everything he was doing was For The Firm, when it's obvious that the right thing for the firm was for Chuck to retire as an honored partner and become a law professor. When Chuck threatens to sue HHM as well, Hamlin does the only thing he can still do to protect the firm, which is buy Chuck out from his own pocket. Hamlin couldn't even make a case of "this isn't about you, you're just sick" because Chuck continuously insists that he's fine.

I think Chuck has that realization over the next couple of days -- that he actually is incompetent to practice law and did everything out of selfishness -- and it ruins him, because he has nothing else in his life.

It's basically a lesson in why you shouldn't make your job your life

Data Graham posted:

The lack of fallout in terms of Kim's clients really surprised me, actually. I was sure losing the oil guy would end up being a huge deal, but turns out he ain't even mad. Sending her steaks and all, and meeting can be rescheduled, and Kim can pass him off to another lawyer, no problem. Really faked out there.

Upstanding Texas oilman is kind and courteous to pretty lady lawyer after she gets badly injured, surprise.

Nude posted:

This is true, and I read somewhere that newspapers stopped reporting suicides because they noticed after a major suicide report there would always be a increase.

"Died after a brief/sudden illness" is journalistic code for suicide, FYI. Now you can read all the obituaries with a newly morbid understanding.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Think I'm gonna make a chuck roast for dinner tonight to celebrate.

:pusheen:

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Better Call Saul?
Better Call Sam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDtlJU8e8v8

What an episode.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chuck also took his doctor's advice and didn't try to kick the lantern off the table all at once. Slow and steady progression until he was cured.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I'm more bothered by the fact that Hector is in a wheelchair now than that miserable motherfucker Chuck throwing in the towel. Mark Margolis as Hector is truly something. His performance is going to be limited now. :smith:

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

R. Guyovich posted:

it never ceased to amaze how people would talk about heisenberg and walter white like they were two different people and i can't say i'm surprised it's happening now with jimmy and saul

Also, this.

I blame the 'alter egos' in the abundance of superhero films for it

BringBackATV
Jan 1, 2002
Rainbow Rider

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think we're ever gonna see him truly lose his humanity. Maybe Saul was all......an act.

Yes - I think the significant line was when he said that when he got his licence back he would adopt a new business model, possibly he's realising that his empathy for his "victims" is what brings him down in the end, and by becoming the Criminal Lawyer that Saul is he will avoid this by the fact that he's dealing with people who chose the criminal life and deserve what's coming to them

gone soon

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

KoRMaK posted:

Wow, how far out was this written and shot? Kinda sesnitive timing still considering Chris Cornell. I'm assuming its just coincidence

Because... Suicide?

Cracking finale, great season. I fully maintain that Chuck is a loving tragic character and that anyone repeating 'Better gently caress Chuck' after this are advocating that the mentally ill end their own lives to spare the rest of us. You cunts.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Steve2911 posted:

Cracking finale, great season. I fully maintain that Chuck is a loving tragic character and that anyone repeating 'Better gently caress Chuck' after this are advocating that the mentally ill end their own lives to spare the rest of us. You cunts.

Better gently caress Chuck. gently caress that rear end in a top hat. He made everyone around him miserable, just like his brother. At least Saul is charming when he does it. I'm glad Chuck is gone. Good loving riddance.

Now, more Mike next season please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I am going to miss Michael McKean in this show. For all I hated Chuck, he played the character perfectly.

• Locked thread