Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Re: Colin Furze's beachside suicide booth.

Applesnots posted:

I love how they just left it there, on a beach... to be hosed with by kids or whomever.

Synthbuttrange posted:

rear end in a top hat made a toilet that's going to kill someone
Several pages back, but I just want to point out that it says right in the video description that they filled the hole back up as soon as they were done filming. In the second video you see a tent next to the hut so I'm going to assume they covered and stayed by the hole overnight as well.

Furze may lack self preservation, but he's not so stupid he'd leave a deathtrap around for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Since you're so late, you missed that none of that was there when the video originally went up, and it went up without the second part which showed the hole being filled.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Granted, I don't know where in the world that picture was taken, but like... for all that effort, why not just go to the pool? Or better yet, tell your child, "sorry, no pool visits this summer" and sure they will be disappointed but they also will still be alive to speak of said disappointment so...

You sound boring.

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Maritime regulations universally state that when two ships are on a collision course, both must turn to starboard (right) for clearance. This impact is on the right side of the ship, suggesting that the Fitzgerald turned to port. Whoops.

It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of maritime collisions by location on the ship, to see if there's a tendency to impact on the starboard side.

e: it surprises me that the ship partly flooded, since the damage appears to be all above the waterline. Is there more than what's visible in that photo?

for recreational motor vessels, the vessel to starboard has right of way over the vessel to port, not sure if this applies to huge merchant ships who generally never change course. But having a big dent in your starboard side pretty much means you're in the wrong.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Say Nothing posted:

Grease fire + water.

That's from a Norwegian TV series. IIRC they also filled a room with water, with predictable results.

e: VVV Yup.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 20, 2017

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJTqg5NlHFI

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

check out my Youtube posted:

Hell with the weight and pressure, what is the plan to drain this? You just gonna hope the people you live around are cool with you dumping all that water down on them?

You just leave it to evaporate and wait until neighbors start complaining about mosquitoes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Volkerball posted:

You sound boring.

I also am alive!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You just leave it to evaporate and wait until neighbors start complaining about mosquitoes

If you get mosquitoes just add koi. Lovely balcony koi pond.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/15/mum-flooded-bathroom-in-grenfell-tower-to-buy-time-until-family-was-rescued-6711541/

TLDR; Someone survived the fire in that tower in London by flooding her bathroom.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

It was a real thing in NYC from 1966 to some time in the 1980s.

The city owned scores of them.

People in Philly have been doing it with rented construction dumpsters:

City had to start cracking down because they were filling them with fire hydrants.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Philadelphia-Tells-Residents-Dont-Swim-in-Dumpster-Pools-389238611.html

quote:

The Department of Licenses and Inspections issued a statement saying the city won't issue permits for block party dumpster pools. Agency spokeswoman Karen Guss said, "you would think this decision would not require an explanation."

kierrie posted:

for recreational motor vessels, the vessel to starboard has right of way over the vessel to port, not sure if this applies to huge merchant ships who generally never change course. But having a big dent in your starboard side pretty much means you're in the wrong.

It's not really "right of way" in that sense. The vessel to port is supposed to give way, but that doesn't mean the starboard vessel has "right of way." Like, if you give way like you're supposed to and the other vessel swerves to hit you that doesn't mean it's not his fault.

schmug
May 20, 2007

[quote=
It's not really "right of way" in that sense. The vessel to port is supposed to give way, but that doesn't mean the starboard vessel has "right of way." Like, if you give way like you're supposed to and the other vessel swerves to hit you that doesn't mean it's not his fault.
[/quote]

This confuses me. If they are heading towards each other...

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Wasnt the merchant ship heading to port then did some crazy U-turn and a bunch of erratic maneuvers?

This:

schmug
May 20, 2007

schwaa posted:

This confuses me. If they are heading towards each other...

off topic, but so does "It's at 3:00!" As in using a clock as a directional indicator. Whose 3:00 are you talking about!?!?! Life is very confusing.

schmug
May 20, 2007

JB50 posted:

Wasnt the merchant ship heading to port then did some crazy U-turn and a bunch of erratic maneuvers?

This:

See, if you do a couple u-ies then you can have port wherever you want it!!!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JB50 posted:

This:

iirc the japanese coast guard revised their time estimate as to when the collision happened meaning that the freighter's actions could be in response to the collision. this will be confirmed when the navy releases their investigation

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Phanatic posted:

People in Philly have been doing it with rented construction dumpsters:

City had to start cracking down because they were filling them with fire hydrants.

Who the hell swims in a dumpster full of fire hydrants?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Scrooge McDuck's poorer relatives?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

:lol:
That was perfect.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

boner confessor posted:

iirc the japanese coast guard revised their time estimate as to when the collision happened meaning that the freighter's actions could be in response to the collision. this will be confirmed when the navy releases their investigation
The GiP goon who was supposedly the DCA on that ship put the collision at 1:30

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

boner confessor posted:

this will be confirmed when the navy releases their investigation

Bets on how many people area accused of being suicidal and gay?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

:wow:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

#PortlandOregon

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

And nothing of value was lost

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
hmmm

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Two slow blow fuses in line, i see no problem.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

If it's stupid and it works, it's still pretty stupid.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Died as he lived, with stiff wood between his legs.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Holy. Hell. :stare:

I think that's 250kcmil cable too so that's like 250 amps at 75°C terminations...

If that's a 120/240 system and that's the neutral you MIGHT be able to get away with that assuming the loads are well balanced on each 120V leg. If that's 120/208 system then that's a hot line and that's absolutely insane.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 21, 2017

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

It's almost like someone took a joke photo.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

VectorSigma posted:

It's almost like someone took a joke photo.

Yeah I was gonna come back and add a note to my post there.

But people have done some really batshit stuff that wasn't a joke.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah I was gonna come back and add a note to my post there.

But people have done some really batshit stuff that wasn't a joke.

It is very similar to rule 34 of the internet: if you can imagine it, someone has tried it to fix a problem cheaply like that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A ~150kph wind kicked up out of nowhere and started loving up everybody's poo poo here.

This guy has the right idea, you don't want to be on the road in this poo poo, just roll over and take a nap.

e: i'm not familiar with electricity. is this bad?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 21, 2017

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Powershift posted:

e: i'm not familiar with electricity. is this bad?

I guess you've never heard of a trunkline.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Three-Phase posted:

Holy. Hell. :stare:

I think that's 250kcmil cable too so that's like 250 amps at 75°C terminations...

If that's a 120/240 system and that's the neutral you MIGHT be able to get away with that assuming the loads are well balanced on each 120V leg. If that's 120/208 system then that's a hot line and that's absolutely insane.

My physics is a little rusty, but wouldn't Lorenz forces just push that contact apart? Or would that require a lot more amperage?

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Sagebrush posted:

For some numerical context: when water turns to steam, it expands to about 1700x its volume. So one litre of water will turn into 1700 litres of steam. That means that a single 591mL (20-oz) bottle of water, if thrown into that crucible of molten steel, will instantly expand to a cubic meter of gas -- approximately the size of a refrigerator. Kaboom

The inverse is also true, 1700 litres of steam will condense into 1 litre of water. Like so:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How? How did the steam get condensed into water so instantaneously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The container is airtight. Hot steam inside the container, at atmospheric pressure. Then the cold rain falls on the container, cooling the container and turning the steam back into water, condensing it and pulling a vacuum inside the container. The container is obviously pretty drat strong, but eventually it gives and the vacuum pulls the container in on itself.