Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kay Kessler posted:

Uranium only reached that high a number because it was free. When Nintendo released a Pokemon game for free, it got 500 million downloads in two months.

They made a lovely clicker-style skinner box game about magikarps and it has somewhere in the ballpark of 10 million downloads. It was released less than a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Rather than LP even one video game, I'm off doing smart things in the Four Job Fiesta.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

KataraniSword posted:

They made a lovely clicker-style skinner box game about magikarps and it has somewhere in the ballpark of 10 million downloads. It was released less than a month ago.

Don't you say a goddamn thing against Magikarp.

fffffuckerrrrrr

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

actually, it's an incredibly good clicker-style skinner box game about magikarps

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm gonna split things down the middle and say that I have no idea what a "skinner box game" is, so I have no opinion of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm gonna split things down the middle and say that I have no idea what a "skinner box game" is, so I have no opinion of it.

Simple but unreliable reward loops built to encourage compulsive behavior. Common term when talking about mobile gacha games.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Simple but unreliable reward loops built to encourage compulsive behavior.
So it's like gambling with no money involved? Sounds lame.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Rather than LP even one video game, I'm off doing smart things in the Four Job Fiesta.

I'm not sure what you're doing in this screenshot but I'm sure it involves shattering FFV's difficulty curve in some way, so I approve!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Yes, but you can collect Magikarp with cool patterns, so it's actually awesome.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not sure what you're doing in this screenshot but I'm sure it involves shattering FFV's difficulty curve in some way, so I approve!

Running Omniscient out of MP in a very time extensive strategy so as to prevent Resets, which, well, resets the fight back to the beginning.

Not even remotely necessary with a White Mage (Berserk+Blink does the job infinitely better in this case!) but it's sure something all the same.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dragonatrix posted:

Running Omniscient out of MP in a very time extensive strategy so as to prevent Resets, which, well, resets the fight back to the beginning.

Not even remotely necessary with a White Mage (Berserk+Blink does the job infinitely better in this case!) but it's sure something all the same.

I love it. :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most video games have some kind of skinner box involved. like leveling up in an rpg.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

To expand on the previous post, while most games incorporate a certain amount of the "Skinner Box" feedback loop, many mobile games and MMOs have drat near weaponized it, convincing players to grind for hours for nothing more than seeing some digital pretend numbers go up. This Extra Credits video goes into detail about it, and is well worth a watch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dragonatrix posted:

There's also the concern of keeping him from casting Flare when he finally dies, no? Been forever since I've played FF5.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

To expand on the previous post, while most games incorporate a certain amount of the "Skinner Box" feedback loop, many mobile games and MMOs have drat near weaponized it, convincing players to grind for hours for nothing more than seeing some digital pretend numbers go up. This Extra Credits video goes into detail about it, and is well worth a watch.

this is a good loving post because I loving learned something in like 10 mins

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Literally all games are Skinner Box games (because they ALL use reinforcement to keep you playing), but people like to use the term for clicker style or gambling style games despite the fact that Skinner Boxes aren't used for random ratio research all that often.

Edit: its because of that South Park episode, isn't it?

Edit2:

EclecticTastes posted:

Just watched this. There's a few things wrong.
-Skinner didn't discover that organisms learn through their environment or that consequences influence learning. Thorndike did.
-Skinner doesn't use the term 'volition' the way a layperson would. For example, he wouldn't use the term to describe a choice being made of one's own will because he didn't believe free will existed.
-Skinner talked a lot about gambling from a theoretical standpoint but didn't really research it. Modern behavioral research shows that the intermittent payoffs are only a small contribution to addictive play and other reinforcers (primarily negative reinforcement) contribute far more. (This is my dissertation topic.)
-They fundamentally misunderstand the concept of reinforcement. They think reinforcement is strictly a concrete, tangible, artificial thing like points. Its not. Literally all the things that they list at the end (e.g., mastery, novelty, etc.) are parts of reinforcement and operant conditioning, too. When you master a skill in a game, you master it because you got reinforcement for improving (e.g., beating tougher enemies, etc.). It involves an operant conditioning process called shaping. When you encounter novel stimuli, they can be reinforcers because they are novel. When you access a new area or plot point in a game, that's a reinforcer. All games use it. A game without reinforcement would be a game that people don't consider fun. The question isn't whether the game uses it or not, but whether its use of reinforcement is subtle or obvious. That's all.

Sorry for the derail. I'll stop now.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 20, 2017

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Ah, PP stalling with Blissey in the Battle Tower.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dienes posted:

Literally all games are Skinner Box games (because they ALL use reinforcement to keep you playing), but people like to use the term for clicker style or gambling style games despite the fact that Skinner Boxes aren't used for random ratio research all that often.

Edit2:

-Skinner didn't discover that organisms learn through their environment or that consequences influence learning. Thorndike did.
-Skinner doesn't use the term 'volition' the way a layperson would. For example, he wouldn't use the term to describe a choice being made of one's own will because he didn't believe free will existed.
-Skinner talked a lot about gambling from a theoretical standpoint but didn't really research it. Modern behavioral research shows that the intermittent payoffs are only a small contribution to addictive play and other reinforcers (primarily negative reinforcement) contribute far more. (This is my dissertation topic.)
-They fundamentally misunderstand the concept of reinforcement. They think reinforcement is strictly a concrete, tangible, artificial thing like points. Its not. Literally all the things that they list at the end (e.g., mastery, novelty, etc.) are parts of reinforcement and operant conditioning, too. When you master a skill in a game, you master it because you got reinforcement for improving (e.g., beating tougher enemies, etc.). It involves an operant conditioning process called shaping. When you encounter novel stimuli, they can be reinforcers because they are novel. When you access a new area or plot point in a game, that's a reinforcer. All games use it. A game without reinforcement would be a game that people don't consider fun. The question isn't whether the game uses it or not, but whether its use of reinforcement is subtle or obvious. That's all.

Psychology in video games is cool and good and how you can turn a simple Match 3 game into the foundation of a multimedia empire complete with merch and a game show.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Extra Credit grossly misunderstands things tangentially related to video games, what else is new

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dienes posted:

Edit2:

I'd love to hear more about this. Have you considered making a thread? If not, do you have some articles or videos you could link?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dienes posted:

Edit2:

extra credits is really bad

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Endorph posted:

extra credits is really bad
I'm genuinely curious about your feelings on this. We usually seem to agree, but I'm a big big fan of Extra Credits, and usually take any excuse I can get to link to Extra History.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm genuinely curious about your feelings on this. We usually seem to agree, but I'm a big big fan of Extra Credits, and usually take any excuse I can get to link to Extra History.

I've seen two videos by Extra Credits. One was him taking six minutes to say "Destiny is milquetoast enough that it's mildly appealing to a broad audience". The other was six minutes of him ostensibly talking about how to balance games, but actually just revealing that he has zero understanding of competitive anything.

Also the voice modulation is annoying.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

inthesto posted:

I've seen two videos by Extra Credits. One was him taking six minutes to say "Destiny is milquetoast enough that it's mildly appealing to a broad audience". The other was six minutes of him ostensibly talking about how to balance games, but actually just revealing that he has zero understanding of competitive anything.

Extra Credits is basically a man with a little knowledge and a love for the sound of his own cartoon voice.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Extra Credits is basically a man with a little knowledge and a love for the sound of his own cartoon voice.

I think the other guy with the longer hair and gotee is the main writer on EC now

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
these are the only truly good Extra Credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5q5TbFnvkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1nUmED4As

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't watch EC as much as I used to, admittedly, but Extra History is really good, and I hope they keep doing that, if nothing else.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

If you want some actual in-depth analysis of games, both Talking Simulator and hbomberguy's channel are really good sources.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

inthesto posted:

Also the voice modulation is annoying.

And the reason behind the modulation is dumb. It's because the first one he did was for a class project and it had to be under a certain time, which he was just over. So he sped up his voice to fit it into the time and he's done that ever since.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

His notes on things specific to the game industry are pretty awful as well, lots of talk on "that's just how things are :smith:" and no real information on what other options could be available and why the current methods of team management are really bad. Watch the video on bugs being in launch games and see how much of it is saying "we just can't do anything" when it's clear there's some distinct management issues going on that should be addressed, such as reliance on pushing teams from project to project ASAP when they may need to address issues with their work interacting with the rest of the project's parts

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

Edit2:

this is also a really good loving post and I have learned stuff. Best of luck in your Dissertation!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

i don't know much about game design beyond a couple of genres and while i hate his persona 4 hot takes those were like 8 years ago now, but his voice modulation is terrible and his extra history stuff is a garbagefire. He gets years, names, and dates wrong constantly, prescribes motives where there's no historical evidence of one existing concretely, and constantly distorts facts to suit whatever weird point he wants to make about the era of history he's covering. and he's never even covered an area of history im that knowledgeable in, outside of the sengoku period.

and the voice sucks.

edit: and he has a really surface level knowledge of games. i get that a guy can't play everything especially when you have to play certain things for your job but there's so many times he cites things as industry-wide problems with no solutions when I can name seventeen things with clever solutions to the problem.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 21, 2017

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
There's an old episode of Extra Credits where they're talking about first person shooters where they bring up a game made by some Islamic terrorist organization about exterminating Jews, and they say "Ahah! This is the same as Call of Duty because there you shoot terrorists." Beyond the general low-quality and arrogance other people have mentioned that specifically is what made me stop watching it.

To actually get back on topic to the LP though, how much more of Uranium is there? The story is poorly paced so it's hard to tell - it seems like we should have hit some kind of climax defeating the main villain of the story here, but there's been so little build up of the characters involved and the outcome of that fight seemed so purposeless. Using Sun/Moon as a comparison the villain role there was introduced earlier with a connection to the main cast so by the time there's a confrontation it feels more significant, and the outcome there has well-defined consequences both from a character perspective and from a larger story/world perspective.

It's almost a shame if there's not much left of Uranium because OFS has been doing such a good job with this LP I don't want it to stop, even though more of Uranium would mean, well, more of Uranium. It's been really interesting to read other people's thoughts about the ideas Uranium's trying and Pokemon fangames in general, so I hope it has more up its sleeves to try even if it executes it poorly.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
There's just the victory road equivalent and elite four, then whatever post game stuff exists, which I'm not sure how much there is exactly

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 24, 2017

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

OneDeadman posted:

There's just the victory road equivalent and elite four, then whatever post game stuff exists, which I'm not sure how much there is exactly

Oh boy! Berries! :D

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

CatsPajamas posted:

It's almost a shame if there's not much left of Uranium because OFS has been doing such a good job with this LP I don't want it to stop, even though more of Uranium would mean, well, more of Uranium. It's been really interesting to read other people's thoughts about the ideas Uranium's trying and Pokemon fangames in general, so I hope it has more up its sleeves to try even if it executes it poorly.

This, although it makes me want to roll up my sleeves and do it better despite being a garbage spriter.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Ace of Aces posted:

This, although it makes me want to roll up my sleeves and do it better despite being a garbage spriter.

Honestly, if the sprites are consistently terrible it becomes at least moderately charming. Besides, decent gameplay/writing choices would definitely go a long way to make bad sprites forgivable. I'd much rather play a well written, properly designed game with sprites done by a twelve year old with MS Paint than the most beautiful game with the plot of Uranium.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Maybe I'm thinking wrong, but Uranium's designs don't really communicate the high base stats very well. Blissey, Chansey, and Guzzlord are the top three of official Pokemon for HP, and they all have shapes that sort of imply that. Wailord, Snorlax, Hariyama Wigglytuff, the only word I have for it is wide. The only things that don't are Alomomola and legendaries, but maybe Alomomola is wide on a different axis and it's throwing me off.

In Uranium? The top three is Seikamater, Dunseraph, and Dramsama.

I may be reading too much into it, since Dramsama is at 125 base HP, tied with Lanturn, but Pokemon that would look like buckets, like Fafninter and Luchabra, are behind this wispy thing.

Tubareel is tied with Gararewl for third-highest defense behind Gargryph, who is solid rock, and Mega Metalynx, who is a cyborg. Alpico is the second-fastest non-mega, non-legendary Pokemon behind Inflagetah. Haagross is somehow 4th in non-mega special defense behind Brainoar and eeveelutions.

I think I only have a point on Dramsama though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Maybe I'm thinking wrong, but Uranium's designs don't really communicate the high base stats very well. Blissey, Chansey, and Guzzlord are the top three of official Pokemon for HP, and they all have shapes that sort of imply that. Wailord, Snorlax, Hariyama Wigglytuff, the only word I have for it is wide. The only things that don't are Alomomola and legendaries, but maybe Alomomola is wide on a different axis and it's throwing me off.

In Uranium? The top three is Seikamater, Dunseraph, and Dramsama.

I may be reading too much into it, since Dramsama is at 125 base HP, tied with Lanturn, but Pokemon that would look like buckets, like Fafninter and Luchabra, are behind this wispy thing.

Tubareel is tied with Gararewl for third-highest defense behind Gargryph, who is solid rock, and Mega Metalynx, who is a cyborg. Alpico is the second-fastest non-mega, non-legendary Pokemon behind Inflagetah. Haagross is somehow 4th in non-mega special defense behind Brainoar and eeveelutions.

I think I only have a point on Dramsama though.

Alomomola is an ocean sunfish, the heaviest species of bony fish. They're also very... wide? Tall? Very large in one dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Alomomola is an ocean sunfish, the heaviest species of bony fish. They're also very... wide? Tall? Very large in one dimension.

They're also literally not all that bright and have no defenses other than being very large. They only reason they survive as a species is because they generate immensely large numbers of offspring to offset their mortality rate.

• Locked thread