Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
RTJ puts on the best loving show. Can't wait til they roll through again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Got my sister an extremely loud, extremely awesome jacket. Image edited to preserve the innocent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

McKilligan posted:

Got my sister an extremely loud, extremely awesome jacket. Image edited to preserve the innocent.

That's a weird looking scorpion.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

McKilligan posted:

My goodness. What place sells this? I never knew how badly I need this thing.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

NewFatMike posted:

My goodness. What place sells this? I never knew how badly I need this thing.

A custom embroidery place in Itaewon, Korea, "Ahn's Embroidery". I did the designs and chose the fabric colors myself, and he handled all the embroidery and sewing. Dude does solid work! I'm going to make a different design for my brother for his birthday, too.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you! Google translate is going to be my friend I think.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Been kinda bored waiting for my job to start, so I picked up Bob Ross style painting. I've made 6 so far, and I'm enjoying it.

As such, I ordered more paint.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Cute flower belt buckle

"Genuine" bogo

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A Heritage Rough Rider, .22LR, dunno if I want to spend the $30 or whatever for a .22Mag cylinder

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My laptop, which has been my sole computing device for a few years choked extremely hard on a new workload that I need to do, so I had to emergency buy a desktop at micro center. It was expensive - my laptop is a quad core Broadwell with a 970M and buttcoin miners destroyed the market segment of cards more powerful than that:

CPU: R7 1700
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR4@3000MHz (BIOS update got that stable)
Storage: Crucial 2TB SATA SSD (way cheaper than I thought it would be)
Mobo: Asus B350 Prime
PSU: Corsair semi modular 750W
Case: Silverstone sideways something mATX

And now I've got nice hash going, should get $30-40/week. Hopefully this will pay for itself with the new workflow long before it does with coins.

NewFatMike has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Jun 19, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had to look up what an "R7 1700" was and I honestly though AMD went out of business years ago.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

In a bizarre twist of fate, their CPUs are very good and their GPUs are not super great. Quite a time to be alive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You were... you were being sarcastic about mining, right?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I was not, but I also had a typo. $30-40/week, not per month. Edited to reflect that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

don't

don't touch the butts.

I'm normally a fan of butt-touching but not these butts

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm super racist against Bitcoin. Internment Camp level racist.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Aramek posted:

I'm super racist against Bitcoin. Internment Camp level racist.

Bought some titanium scales for my old Swiss army knife:

Also a new daypack:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Bought a cheap Mexican Fender LH Strat in Lake Placid Blue:

(stock photo)
Should get here Wed/Thurs. Gonna be ordering pickguard, wiring and pickups to replace stock stuff.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A used one of these from CL:

Dual bevel, laser line, and a fairly new-ish fine-toothed blade, to boot. Only cost me $100. It's missing a couple set screws for the table extensions, but those will soon be easily replaced.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

Bought some titanium scales for my old Swiss army knife:

There's something exceedingly inappropriate about modding a Swiss Army knife.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Found this at the swap meet for $5. Still works. Same model I used to record demos 20 years ago, which i'm going to remix now.

Anml Looper ejuice, pretty much the only juice I gently caress with. Haven't found anything else that tops it.

Hack n slash fun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

Found this at the swap meet for $5. Still works. Same model I used to record demos 20 years ago, which i'm going to remix now.

I used to have the little 4 track one!

As of one move ago, I still had dozens of tapes from back in the day that I had no way to listen too. So much lovely industrial music lost to the ages.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

I used to have the little 4 track one!

As of one move ago, I still had dozens of tapes from back in the day that I had no way to listen too. So much lovely industrial music lost to the ages.

They're wonderfully simple, which was suitable for the punk rock, surf, and metal stuff I used it for. Back then I made a stupid mistake and ran the final mix through my guitar processor to add reverb to it. I added way too much reverb as I was going through some kind of phase, and by the time I realized how wack it was, I no longer had the portastudio, so now I can do a proper transfer without the reverb. Luckily I knew enough to keep all the master tapes.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

DrBouvenstein posted:

A used one of these from CL:

Dual bevel, laser line, and a fairly new-ish fine-toothed blade, to boot. Only cost me $100. It's missing a couple set screws for the table extensions, but those will soon be easily replaced.

im incredibly jealous on that deal

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

They're wonderfully simple, which was suitable for the punk rock, surf, and metal stuff I used it for. Back then I made a stupid mistake and ran the final mix through my guitar processor to add reverb to it. I added way too much reverb as I was going through some kind of phase, and by the time I realized how wack it was, I no longer had the portastudio, so now I can do a proper transfer without the reverb. Luckily I knew enough to keep all the master tapes.

Yea, it was so loving amazing at the time, but like man like 6 months later my actual audio engineer buddy got a 8 channel ADAT which was like loving magic. In just my adult lifetime there must have been like a half dozen huge jumps in studio tech. These days I can look at a pro console and have like no real idea what I am even looking at.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

betterinsodapop posted:

Bought a cheap Mexican Fender LH Strat in Lake Placid Blue:

(stock photo)
Should get here Wed/Thurs. Gonna be ordering pickguard, wiring and pickups to replace stock stuff.

That's a lovely blue!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Josh Lyman posted:

There's something exceedingly inappropriate about modding a Swiss Army knife.

Not if you use another Swiss army knife to do the modding.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

McKilligan posted:

This is the sickest poo poo to ever be posted in this thread :toot:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Dick Trauma posted:

That's a lovely blue!
Thanks! In person, it has a slight metallic sheen to it, too.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

NewFatMike posted:

I was not, but I also had a typo. $30-40/week, not per month. Edited to reflect that.

I wonder if its even possible to come out even let alone make money on buttcoin mining in Canada. I figure just leaving a desktop computer running 24/7 would cost like 30-50 bucks a month in electricty alone. Then you have upgrading your computer components every few years.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I mean, upgrade your components every few years anyway I guess.

I'm looking at it as a value add for my hardware purchase, not as the purpose for my hardware. If I can make $100/mo or so just letting the thing go while I don't need it, even netting $50 a month is fine. Pays for a new game or 3.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

patonthebach posted:

I wonder if its even possible to come out even let alone make money on buttcoin mining in Canada. I figure just leaving a desktop computer running 24/7 would cost like 30-50 bucks a month in electricty alone. Then you have upgrading your computer components every few years.

I don't know about Canada or a bitcoin mining, but I started leaving my desktop on 24/7 and my electricity bill didn't really jump up.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

I don't know about Canada or a bitcoin mining, but I started leaving my desktop on 24/7 and my electricity bill didn't really jump up.

Yours is sitting idle the majority of the day. If you were mining it would be dedicating all available resources to that and using as much power as it could for that purpose. And throwing off the heat that comes with that, running up your AC bill as well. This is all basically a tax for participating in bitcoin, and one of the myriad reasons it's dumb as gently caress.

But there are dozens of threads going over all that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

patonthebach posted:

It isn't profitable anywhere.

It may have been early on, but we left that point years ago.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

CharlestheHammer posted:

It isn't profitable anywhere.

It may have been early on, but we left that point years ago.

I was about to say, hasn't difficulty gone up so much that only ASIC farms in China are making a profit? I haven't really looked at it for a while, but has price gone up/difficulty gone down so much that it's profitable to mine with GPU again? Also wasn't AMD GPUs better suited to mining when GPU mining was still a thing?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Shanghaied posted:

I was about to say, hasn't difficulty gone up so much that only ASIC farms in China are making a profit? I haven't really looked at it for a while, but has price gone up/difficulty gone down so much that it's profitable to mine with GPU again? Also wasn't AMD GPUs better suited to mining when GPU mining was still a thing?

There's a new bubble mining something similar but distinct from bitcoins. Prices are high enough and nVidia's lead big enough that their lesser efficiencies are overcome by overall speed.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shanghaied posted:

Bitcoin is a garbage dump of scammers, idiots and crimials. Stay the hell away. The "news" thread is in YOSPOS.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Wacky Delly posted:

There's a new bubble mining something similar but distinct from bitcoins. Prices are high enough and nVidia's lead big enough that their lesser efficiencies are overcome by overall speed.

Ethereum (sp? who the gently caress cares)?

gschmidl posted:

Bitcoin is a garbage dump of scammers, idiots and crimials. Stay the hell away. The "news" thread is in YOSPOS.

Yeah no, "looked at it" as in followed the YOSPOS thread for a while like 24 months ago, not as in "want to actually touch that with a long pole".

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
I feel like hypothetically you could just mine a random selection of new cryptocurrencies and hope one blows up later on, but that's got to be a pretty so so value proposition as well. Might be fun if you're into that sort of thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How has the bitcoin bubble not burst by now? It's been out for how many years now, and its still nothing but a niche commodity for investors, instead of being what its supposed to be, a currency used by thousands of retailers and millions of people.