Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm want to do more two-up riding, but I don't really feel like putting a ton of money into a new rear shock with remote adjust on the specific bike I have right now ('01 ZX6E). I would spend all of the money modding a 2002-2005 ZX6E, but I don't feel like selling my current bike just to get another one of the same.

So I thought I'd take the chance to do something I've wanted to do since I started riding, which is get a UJM/standard. Criteria:

- level seat, or as close as possible (I don't know if these are actually better for carrying a pillion, but they at least inspire confidence, and I like how they look)
- anything up to 100hp; I don't mind less but I don't think I need more
- under £3000 used in the UK
- 600cc displacement or smaller preferred
- reliable and/or not a total pig to work on

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Only flat seat that we will get in that range that is relatively modern is going to be a Bonneville derivative or a Kwak W600/800, everything else will have varying degrees of banana or split seats.

Plenty of naked 600+cc bikes that range from the boring (Honda CBF600) to mad (Triumph Street Triple)

The more basic end of the 600cc naked bikes are the aforementioned CBF600, ER6n, SV650/SFV650, Bandit 600, XJ6 and are all as good as each other and it will come down to preference on engine type and what you can get. All are good pootling about machines.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A 2017 T100 actually would have been my first choice if money were no object, the W650 I hadn't heard of and is pretty close in looks and fairly affordable used, so thanks, I'll give that a look. :)

I don't hate banana seats, just the height of the one on my current bike and a lot of modern nakeds. I like the look of the seat on the CB1100 for example, and the bike it's attached to for that matter, but they're pretty expensive and incidentally seem unnecessarily large for the amount of power they carry.

The "under 600cc" thing is just because I'm stingy and don't want to pay the top bracket of pollution tax. Also bigger things are generally more to insure. Again, stingy. :v:

I forgot to mention but yeah, I'll mainly be doing short hops on this thing, . I super love the ZZR600 but didn't end up doing that much touring, and never really needed the full set of hardcases it came with. Most I'll want to carry is a few groceries.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh poo poo so I discovered I can actually fit on a Tiger 800. Somebody tell me all of the awful things about this bike because I rode it for a bit and I really really like it.

My dad owned one and traded it in on an MT09 Tracer (FJ09). The engine is really boring. The gearing is odd, too tall for low speed stuff and too short on the highway. They sound terrible (but IMO most Triumph triples do). The seating position is odd, with the bars too far away. The brakes and suspension are terrible, unless you go for the version with the larger off road oriented front wheel (forgot the exact designation). Everyone hates the stock windscreen. Water can get into the spark plug wells.

That's all the negatives I'm aware of.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

High Protein posted:

My dad owned one and traded it in on an MT09 Tracer (FJ09). The engine is really boring. The gearing is odd, too tall for low speed stuff and too short on the highway. They sound terrible (but IMO most Triumph triples do). The seating position is odd, with the bars too far away. The brakes and suspension are terrible, unless you go for the version with the larger off road oriented front wheel (forgot the exact designation). Everyone hates the stock windscreen. Water can get into the spark plug wells.

That's all the negatives I'm aware of.

So basically ... don't buy one? :v:

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Anybody own SSR bikes? Looking into getting an SR 125 as a pit bike to gently caress around on, but I've heard that since they're so cheap you've got to practically do a full rebuild of it after 1-2 years

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They're Chinese, so ymmv

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Tiger's gone, so now I'm in a bidding war with someone over a 2013 Super Ténéré. All over a fantastic bike, and I hope I get it. I especially like the shaft drive. Also, a big adventure bike will fit my pipe smoking, prematurely grey beard, and love for traveling alone.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

OK so I might as well ask here. I'm shopping for a dirt bike to do some riding around logging trails and maybe at some dirtbike parks in the area (I'm in the PNW, there's tons of them). But I really have no clue as to what I'd be shopping for in a dirt bike.

I've got a street bike already, but am 5'6 and maybe 165 lbs. I'm trying to go for something super cheap that I can bang up without worrying about it. Should I be looking at a 150, 250? What CC is too small?

You need a plated bike for forest service roads. Remember you will need a totally separate set of gear that will run you in the $500 range. $1000 will get you a total piece of poo poo that you will probably spend another $1k on right off the bat.

Do you have some ability to tow the bike? Account for that as well. At 5'6 you'll have issues getting your feet down. Do you have anyone to ride with?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

n8r posted:

You need a plated bike for forest service roads. Remember you will need a totally separate set of gear that will run you in the $500 range. $1000 will get you a total piece of poo poo that you will probably spend another $1k on right off the bat.

Do you have some ability to tow the bike? Account for that as well. At 5'6 you'll have issues getting your feet down. Do you have anyone to ride with?

I found a good bike on CL. It runs fine but I'm replacing an aftermarket pod filter with a stock air box because it's running super lean. Otherwise it's pretty good. Got a truck to haul the bike in, a garage to store it in and work on it in, and it's currently plated (for Idaho but street legal here if I want to re-plate it).

Definitely gonna save up for different gear before I take it on any real rides though.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat it. I missed out on a deal by two hours​. Coworker is going overseas and wants to sell his bike fast. Tell me why this wasn't a good deal so I feel better.

2004 Yamaha V Star 1100 with 5K miles, includes hard bags, for $1,000. Needs a battery and carbs which I am comfortable doing myself. (sitting in a garage for a year and a half)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you are an older white dude you missed out on your bike soulmate

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you want a vstar that seems like a smoking deal

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got 2 cars and a motorcycle like that. Hang out with chinese dudes and eventually one of them will have to leave overseas in a hurry. Tax evasion, take over family business, hit and run. One of those will happen with regularity

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I mean I don't specifically desire a V Star, but I'd happily ride it for a season or two and resell it.

Oh well. I'm first in line if the sale falls through.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I found a good bike on CL. It runs fine but I'm replacing an aftermarket pod filter with a stock air box because it's running super lean. Otherwise it's pretty good. Got a truck to haul the bike in, a garage to store it in and work on it in, and it's currently plated (for Idaho but street legal here if I want to re-plate it).

Definitely gonna save up for different gear before I take it on any real rides though.

What is it?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
80 XR200. Pretty fun little thing.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

So I'm looking for advice on my first bike. I'm 6'4" and a steadily decreasing 240 pounds, and my only actual riding experience is with the loaner Buells in the Harley Davidson learn to ride program. I prefer the aesthetics of sport/sport touring bikes, and while I obviously don't want to kill myself on something overpowered I'd rather not have to have the throttle cranked to hit highway speeds with a 5'6" 130 pound passenger (related: two-person capacity is a must). For budget I'd prefer to stay under $7,500 (that's probably high for a first bike but if there's something a bit nicer that would be a great fit and last a long time it'd be worth it to me).

Please help my ignorant heavy rear end figure out some options. :saddowns:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Dont ride two up if your new to this.

I am a couple inches taller and a good bit heavier than you, I started on a KLR but could I do it over I would have went for a vstrom 650.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FirstPlayer posted:

So I'm looking for advice on my first bike. I'm 6'4" and a steadily decreasing 240 pounds, and my only actual riding experience is with the loaner Buells in the Harley Davidson learn to ride program. I prefer the aesthetics of sport/sport touring bikes, and while I obviously don't want to kill myself on something overpowered I'd rather not have to have the throttle cranked to hit highway speeds with a 5'6" 130 pound passenger (related: two-person capacity is a must). For budget I'd prefer to stay under $7,500 (that's probably high for a first bike but if there's something a bit nicer that would be a great fit and last a long time it'd be worth it to me).

Triump Sprint.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

rdb posted:

Can't stress this enough.

Know the bike inside and out, know your own abilities to the same level, then maybe think about it.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

rdb posted:

Carth Dookie posted:

Can't stress this enough.

Know the bike inside and out, know your own abilities to the same level, then maybe think about it.

Noted, thanks for the heads up. I didn't plan on riding with a passenger for a while, but figured I'd include it for later/in case anything would have been recommended that didn't allow it.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Sport bikes are generally more uncomfortable for the passenger in a ratio of more sportier = more uncomfortable/lolnoway

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

FirstPlayer posted:

I'm roughly your size and found the Rebel 500 a comfortable fit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FirstPlayer posted:

I'm pretty much the same size as you and let me say: NEW SV! NEW SV! ONE OF US ONE OF US

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

FirstPlayer posted:

I'd recommend getting a ninja 250 and riding it for a year then buying a 650. But, there's nothing wrong with getting a 650 (ninja, sv650, GS500 is super cheap and a good bike, etc.). For your weight, you're going to want to respring the bike, particularly if you have someone else riding along with you. Also, seconding everyone who says don't ride with a passenger until you have a bunch of miles under your belt. When you do, remember it takes longer to stop. Where are you and we can recommend some bikes. Also, how mechanically inclined are you?

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

builds character posted:

I'd recommend getting a ninja 250 and riding it for a year then buying a 650. But, there's nothing wrong with getting a 650 (ninja, sv650, GS500 is super cheap and a good bike, etc.). For your weight, you're going to want to respring the bike, particularly if you have someone else riding along with you. Also, seconding everyone who says don't ride with a passenger until you have a bunch of miles under your belt. When you do, remember it takes longer to stop. Where are you and we can recommend some bikes. Also, how mechanically inclined are you?

I'm just outside Annapolis, MD. I don't know much at all about bikes, engines, etc., but I'm a quick learner and can follow videos/instructions easily.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FirstPlayer posted:

I'm just outside Annapolis, MD. I don't know much at all about bikes, engines, etc., but I'm a quick learner and can follow videos/instructions easily.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/6173827428.html

CB500X ought to fit the bill

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ever roll by DC? I live there and can help. Helped 2 peeps get their first bike in the last month already.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta love that a 500cc bike has a exhaust can on the side of it the size of an oil drum.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Parts bin special, I'm sure they use that can with a different lead pipe somewhere else

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's a really good bike, tho.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's a really good bike, tho.

No it's not. Great appliance though!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

No it's not. Great appliance though!

Tame enough to learn on, comfortable, the extra couple inches of suspension travel might be enough to keep it from bottoming out due to being undersprung for his size without dropping a couple hundred extra to respring it, stone ax reliable, inexpensive, and room for cargo or very much later on a passenger if he holds onto it.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I started out on a cbr500r at 6'6" and 300lbs of human. Great bike to start on. I'm sure the x model is just as good. I had no issues with my size on mine and even rode 2 up a few times. I put 40k miles on it and the only issue was the thermostat leaked and warranty covered the like, $30 part. Might be a boring ptwin but they are good bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah. They're good appliances. Don't break down, do the job without fuss, reasonably well made etc.

If you like riding bikes for fun they're absolutely dismal. Far too heavy, gutless and uninspiring engine, terrible suspension, mediocre everything else.

Everything about them is good except for the dynamic mechanical parts that make bikes more interesting to operate than cars aka the actual bike.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Nah. They're good appliances. Don't break down, do the job without fuss, reasonably well made etc.

If you like riding bikes for fun they're absolutely dismal. Far too heavy, gutless and uninspiring engine, terrible suspension, mediocre everything else.

Everything about them is good except for the dynamic mechanical parts that make bikes more interesting to operate than cars aka the actual bike.

The 500X is a slightly heavier DRZ that won't break down for any reason and with ABS. I don't see how that can be bad?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That isn't the first time I've seen that comparison made and I once again have to question if you've actually ridden both those bikes because they're about as far apart as I can imagine.

I swear the majority of honda's market comes from people who are too dunning-kruger to know what a good bike feels like or ones who buy poo poo based on on-paper specs, because if you went out and rode some of the competing bikes you'd never want one.

A DRZ has competent suspension, a lively engine, a wonderful mechanical and cosmetic simplicity and is an absolutely fantastic learning tool because the way it handles and rides allows you to explore a bike's behaviour under load whilst going relatively slowly and not hurting yourself. A CB500 offers nearly none of these things besides being relatively forgiving and slow. You're also comparing a design from the mid-90's with a bike introduced in 2013 which is less of a compliment to the dizzer and more of an insult to honda.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well one of my dad's old friends who started riding on a Harley-Davidson WLA in about 1960 and who has since owned everything from a Versys (hated it) to a turbocharged CX650 (loved it) currently owns a CB500 and thinks it's just great.

I rode it as well and also thought it was a great all-purpose bike. It doesn't slam you in the chest with acceleration or make an unearthly howl when you get on the throttle, but it just lets you go and ride without really having to be aware of the vehicle and that is a really nice experience to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean oops sorry Slavvy is definitely the expert here, the company that has built the most popular motorcycle (in fact the most popular motor vehicle, full stop) in the history of the planet and which currently sells more motorcycles than any other company, they're dumb and don't know what they're doing any more