Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zagglezig posted:

My initial thought on the Emil heads after the initial whaaa was that maybe whatever spell turned Emil into his current form had been somehow loosed in the desert and also could affect inanimate objects, but if it's plot, then probably not.

It's plot, but it's not main-quest plot. You can go through the entire main quest and never see those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Ohhhh yeahhhhh! Duh. So that was just added in post?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Okay, that highlight video legit gave me the creeps. Doesn't help that Emil is cute when singing, not so cute when he's 50m tall and you can see the detail in his teeth

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

It's neat that they were able to make the Emil head freaky again after years of association as the face of a Good Boy.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Trojan Kaiju posted:

It's neat that they were able to make the Emil head freaky again after years of association as the face of a Good Boy.

Now I'm thinking of a dog wagging it's tail while staring at you with Emil's head.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zagglezig posted:

My initial thought on the Emil heads after the initial whaaa was that maybe whatever spell turned Emil into his current form had been somehow loosed in the desert and also could affect inanimate objects, but if it's plot, then probably not.

Quality artwork there.

"sights" and "forgot"

I don't think his skeletal monstrosity of a sister are the desert man.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:aaa: I never ran into the giant Emil heads, and I've played this game twice

In other news, DrakeNier has affected my expectations of what happens in video games. I'm playing through the FFXIV: Stormblood plot, and whenever a plot beat doesn't include the death of hundreds/important NPCs/children, my reaction is "Hey, things turned out okay :shobon:" instead of thinking that things are too optimistic.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, there's only one quest that take you out to the oasis and no reason to think you'll find anything by sliding your face along the rest of the sandstorm border, so they're easy to miss.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
You think we'll have an easier time contacting Best Boy now that we've got his Emil address?

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

The Sandman posted:

You think we'll have an easier time contacting Best Boy now that we've got his Emil address?

S T O P

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Sindai posted:

Well, there's only one quest that take you out to the oasis and no reason to think you'll find anything by sliding your face along the rest of the sandstorm border, so they're easy to miss.

I did this out of curiosity/to see if there were any other pods out in the desert and never found the heads. I guess I must have given it up as pointless a little bit too soon.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

The Sandman posted:

This can not continue.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

The Sandman posted:

G E T O U T

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Sandman posted:

Go sit in the corner and think about what you did.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Sandman posted:

:dadjoke:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Gotta say, this ride hasn't been quite as :yokotaro: as in the past. Did they finally rein him in, or are we just waiting for the crazy dam to break?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Gotta say, this ride hasn't been quite as :yokotaro: as in the past. Did they finally rein him in, or are we just waiting for the crazy dam to break?
Search your heart. You already know the answer.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Yoko's an old man now, you gotta give him a bit before he gets going.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Chokes McGee posted:

We haven't reached ending A yet.

This is more or less the calm before the storm, in the first Nier we'd be a couple cutscenes away from the Jimbolord showing up and kidnapping Yonah. In this, I dunno, None Wang Angels are going to kidnap 6O or something?
What I'm trying to say is that as soon as TheDarkId stops putzing around with sidequests we'll get an overdose of :tviv:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Chokes McGee posted:

The game has barely even begun, my friend. We haven't even really hit the start line of the :yokotaro:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

It can be argued that we're still in the prologue.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
The brakes on this train are still firmly in place.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This game will make it very obvious when the crazy starts.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

Again, not even ending A. Original Drakengard didn't even get into the screeching hellbeast sister until at least the second ending, and cannibal space babies were only appearing in the fourth and fifth. There's way more room for things to go full speed to :yokotaro:town later.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh don't worry he's reigned in fully now and this is going to be a happy romp from here to the finish line :unsmigghh:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

Did you not notice the naked machine born of a womb made of other machines chanting the BGM after having fake sex? And then another naked machine spawning from his rib?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Will the giant Emil heads get appropriately sized tuk-tuks?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Qrr posted:

Did you not notice the naked machine born of a womb made of other machines chanting the BGM after having fake sex? And then another naked machine spawning from his rib?

Yeah, that whole thing was this game's equivalent of the first time Zero regenerates in Drakengard III. A nice, friendly reminder that yes, we haven't forgotten the hosed up poo poo, just be patient and let us set up the dominoes so we can knock them over later.

Trust me, you will know the precise moment that poo poo gets real.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 21, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Drakengard path A at least had the scaffolding giants
still dont know what was up with that

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

White Coke posted:

Will the giant Emil heads get appropriately sized tuk-tuks?

Cargo liner ships. With oversized, massive tank threads.

I'm honestly worrying about the state of Emil and how that relates to the robot lifeforms we've found so far. Especially after that giant head garden.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

This point is like four to six hours into the game, depending on how fast you play.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

DeafNote posted:

If I remember right, they gave those guys a backstory in 3, and they were human experiments made by Three. No I don't know why they thought those of all things deserved a backstory.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

From the NieR reddit

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Momomo posted:

If I remember right, they gave those guys a backstory in 3, and they were human experiments made by Three. No I don't know why they thought those of all things deserved a backstory.

I thought they were less made and were more a horrible magical accident, though I may be mixing them up with another monster in that game.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I thought they were less made and were more a horrible magical accident, though I may be mixing them up with another monster in that game.

You're probably thinking of the orphanblob the Two made. Three very deliberately experimented on people, although I can't recall if scaffolding giants were the result.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Like Clockwork posted:

You're probably thinking of the orphanblob the Two made. Three very deliberately experimented on people, although I can't recall if scaffolding giants were the result.

The scaffolding giants are cyclops, and the guy in Three's Memories of the Intoners (https://lparchive.org/Drakengard-3/Update%2073/) had the luck to be turned into a cyclops. No guarantees they're the same thing, since it's a kind of generic name, but it definitely points in that direction.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Like Clockwork posted:

You are correct, that's what I was thinking of; in my defense, it's been a long time since I read the Drakengard 3 LP.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Think of this game as a roller coaster. At the moment we've only gone up and down a few small hills and right now we're sloooowly being pulled up the great big slope with all the loops and poo poo beneath it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DeafNote posted:

I'm pretty sure the attack by three Engels in this game is a reference to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SarahSyna
Oct 24, 2015

The Dark Id posted: