Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Super Fan posted:

Hog needed a nerf

There were plenty of ways they could have nerfed Roadhog that weren't "hmmm let's start changing values by a third with minimal testing, that's the ticket."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Kai Tave posted:

There were plenty of ways they could have nerfed Roadhog that weren't "hmmm let's start changing values by a third with minimal testing, that's the ticket."

Or they could have compensated it by increasing total DPS or giving some utility like shortening hooks timer or something.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
1st impression of Horizon: it's a much better 2CP map than the last several. There's multiple routes to both points and they feel very open and difficult to turtle in. Not remotely anywhere as bad as Hanamura or Anubis.

I'm not really a fan of the aesthetic, because everything is gray/white it kinda makes it hard to figure out where things are spatially. This will probably improve as I get more experience on the map.

I still think 2CP maps should be converted into 3CP maps.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

adhuin posted:

Or they could have compensated it by increasing total DPS or giving some utility like shortening hooks timer or something.

My favorite part of the Hog changes is that the way they described them managed to convince a bunch of people bad at math that Hog's damage was virtually unchanged when no, even with the extra round in the gun it's still overall lower and worse at everything, which also makes Roadhog worse at busting all those barriers and means his already mediocre ult charges even slower while everyone else gets to farm off him unchanged.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

1st impression of Horizon: it's a much better 2CP map than the last several. There's multiple routes to both points and they feel very open and difficult to turtle in. Not remotely anywhere as bad as Hanamura or Anubis.

I'm not really a fan of the aesthetic, because everything is gray/white it kinda makes it hard to figure out where things are spatially. This will probably improve as I get more experience on the map.

I still think 2CP maps should be converted into 3CP maps.

how close are the defender spawns to the second point? are the defenders going to be able to stall for 5+ minutes still

adhuin posted:

why do you think roadhog needs more dps

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they're like hanamura close but there's a wall in the way that you gotta walk around and the attackers have more options to get in. plus there's no moat that you can fall in

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

kaleedity posted:

how close are the defender spawns to the second point? are the defenders going to be able to stall for 5+ minutes still

If he can't kill poo poo that well with single shots anymore, then you have no reason to pick hog because he feeds the enemy team. A ton of low level hogs think they're good because they never die and that it's just the enemy uses their ults on them all the time, not realising that they're feeding the whole game.

Now you can't get a pick in exchange for providing the feed when caught out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I mean I think part of the goal was to reduce hog's pickrate overall because the devs don't like his play pattern as much as other characters that are less punishing.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Definitely a success. 0% is much lower than his old pick rate

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Good :mrapig:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gonna be great in a month when everyone is complaining about how OP Winston is

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Also good :science:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

I mean I think part of the goal was to reduce hog's pickrate overall because the devs don't like his play pattern as much as other characters that are less punishing.

Well that's a fuckin lovely goal then.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the only place where hog was really insufferable was in 3v3 and they fixed that with the lockouts

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
In my past 30 or so comp games I've only had one player tell me off for not being their personal pocket healer at all times, and in fact people are actually complimenting for me for staying up on heals, prioritizing damage buffs when needed, and using my res at good times. Even when we lose people haven't had anything negative to say about me. What alternate universe Overwatch servers did I just wander into?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Lunar feels like babys first worldcraft map. A hodgepodge maze of walls and stairs with a weird gimmick off to the side. The low gravity parts could make it stand out, but they're out of the way like they didn't want to fully commit to the idea.

I don't care for it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

kaleedity posted:

Because he kinda sucks now?

He lost a lot of burst and that is much more valuable than same amount of DPS.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems like the defenders basically take up a position on the high ground, then the attackers loop around and start capping the point to try and force them down. The games I've had on it haven't been very good but that might be largely due to most fights currently being decided by who has the fewest players who are lost/deliberately in completely the wrong place.

Reminder that Roadhog's DPS is significantly lower than it was before.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

adhuin posted:

Because he kinda sucks now?

He lost a lot of burst and that is much more valuable than same amount of DPS.

he actually did lose a fairly significant amount of dps even discounting the much worse burst damage. the smaller head hitbox is nice but it's not enough

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Reminder that Roadhog's DPS is significantly lower than it was before.
The developer comment is pretty misleading about how close they are.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Remember when Geoff was like "we want to avoid balancing toward the middle as much as possible"

and then they decided Roadhog would be cooler if instead of Pudge he was a guy who dumped clips into a shields and then fed a bunch of ult charge and ran away

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brosnan posted:

Remember when Geoff was like "we want to avoid balancing toward the middle as much as possible"

When has Geoff, or any Blizzard OW dev, ever said this? As far as I know they've stated the exact opposite, that they consider balancing toward the middle far more important than balancing around high-skill level play.

Donnerberg posted:

Lunar feels like babys first worldcraft map. A hodgepodge maze of walls and stairs with a weird gimmick off to the side. The low gravity parts could make it stand out, but they're out of the way like they didn't want to fully commit to the idea.

I don't care for it.

They didn't want to commit to it. They've stated in interviews that they didn't want the map to wind up focusing on low grav and that they couldn't find a way to balance low grav play that satisfied them so they pretty much relegated it to a custom game gimmick.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Anyone getting the Unexpected Crash randomly lately? Today I played after the update patch and got it twice, and then my first ever BSoD since Win XP during matches. The unexpectwd crashes are getting on my nervea. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

They didn't want to commit to it. They've stated in interviews that they didn't want the map to wind up focusing on low grav and that they couldn't find a way to balance low grav play that satisfied them so they pretty much relegated it to a custom game gimmick.

I'm cool with that considering how insane the ranged hitscan heroes are in the low grav arcade mode. mccree and widow are disgusting there

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

When has Geoff, or any Blizzard OW dev, ever said this? As far as I know they've stated the exact opposite, that they consider balancing toward the middle far more important than balancing around high-skill level play.
That's not what he means by balancing towards the middle. He means giving the heroes dramatic abilities that make them all feel "broken and overpowered" (Geoff's words) instead of making them all feel fairer and by consequence more fungible. This nerf specifically makes people worried for that reason.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

That's not what he means by balancing towards the middle. He means giving the heroes dramatic abilities that make them all feel "broken and overpowered" (Geoff's words) instead of making them all feel fairer and by consequence more fungible. This nerf specifically makes people worried for that reason.

Ah I see, my mistake. Then yeah, the changes are dumb from that perspective as well.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
So you just get the one Gold lootbox right? This isn't like an event where you can earn more or even buy more.. it's one and done?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm cool with that considering how insane the ranged hitscan heroes are in the low grav arcade mode. mccree and widow are disgusting there

It might as well be called Clay Pigeons Mode

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow on the player screen if you hover over people you can see their current SR now.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

No Wave posted:

Wow on the player screen if you hover over people you can see their current SR now.

Well hot piss, I've been saying that poo poo needed to be a tooltip but mentally filed it under stuff that'll never happen. Very nice! Let the SR bullying begin!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I just had something really odd where I was disconnected in spite of my internet being fine. I managed to rejoin the game near the end, but when I got back I found out that 5 members of my team had simultaneously disconnected (only 4 of them made it back, the last guy apparently had no option to rejoin). Has anyone seen anything like that before? I have to suspect it's some kind of hack considering it happened when we were 2-0 up and cruising to an easy victory.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I have no idea why Sombra was ever put in the DPS category when she's very obviously a Support.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

I have no idea why Sombra was ever put in the DPS category when she's very obviously a Support.

Sombra would get tonnes of love if her portrait was positioned towards the right of the screen instead of the left. Zenyatta players would be considered throwers if his face was beside 76 too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

wit posted:

Sombra would get tonnes of love if her portrait was positioned towards the right of the screen instead of the left. Zenyatta players would be considered throwers if his face was beside 76 too.

Zen is actually good though.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
I don't play in tournaments, I play the the same game as the rest of the 99% where Hog is almost always present. Sit down, hog. Let Reaper and some other tanks off the bench for awhile. You're hogging the game.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Holy shitballs Reaper is busted. I pocketed a friend of mine playing him on King's Row and he dropped right onto the enemy team, ulted, and got a full 6 person teamkill. They all turned to shoot him and couldn't outdps the healing before they died.

Also :rip: Roadhog.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kokoro Wish posted:

apparently she was a support for most of her development and they decided to make her more DPS towards the end

clearly they didn't follow through

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Constantine XI posted:

I don't play in tournaments, I play the the same game as the rest of the 99% where Hog is almost always present. Sit down, hog. Let Reaper and some other tanks off the bench for awhile. You're hogging the game.

Somewhere a sweating Blizzard dev is staring at a whiteboard with the words "People like GOOD CHARACTERS?????????????????" written on it. What could it mean?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

A trash support with trash damage is trash unless the support aspects are busted as poo poo. Oh and even with a busted support ability they also tend to be able to kill things too! So yes Sombra is bad.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
nah, hog not being able to solo kill someone is kinda good cuz then he can actually do the vague tank role of needing mild assistance to delete someone

also I kinda don't like the reaper vampirism changes cuz it doesn't feel like a lot of health in comparison to the souls