Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
reading up on stalin's purge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Thoguh posted:

"I was afraid for my life" are magic police officer words for "I absolve myself of all responsibility for the murder I just committed and the state will agree"

In all honesty what other job asks you to put yourself in potentially life threatening situations on a daily basis? I mean even coal miners probably have lower blood pressure.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Shame on the rest of the world for not providing black Americans political refugee status. The state is straight up murdering them for next to nothing and 99% of the time not even bothering to charge the motherfuckers and 99% of the time after that never convicting.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

"the assailant tried to hand me his wallet but i knew it was covered in drugs that would get me high and make me a criminal so i shot him due to this reasonable fear."

"good shoot" next case please

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

That DICK! posted:

my cousin is a police chief and he's an ok or even good dude otherwise but years of welfare checks have definitely made him racist. I know cspam I know, he's bad and I should kill him, but life is full of these little complexities

then he's not an ok or even good dude

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
well his brake light was out and if he had the audacity to drive around a 5 year old with such a dangerous car defect he could not possibly care for my life

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i wanna account the number of graves i'll need for all of the cops

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
"cops are very nice and good pepole once you get to know them" - white people everywhere

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Vladimir Putin posted:

In all honesty what other job asks you to put yourself in potentially life threatening situations on a daily basis? I mean even coal miners probably have lower blood pressure.

The most dangerous part of an officer's job is driving around all day. It's not even a top-10 most deadly job.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

the dudes who pick up your garbage have a more dangerous job. literally, full stop.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lastgirl posted:

cops are cool when theyre not shooting people an giving speeding tickets to meet budget quotas

my controversial opinion

So, never?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Augus posted:

I'm just so surprised that carry permits are actually an invitation to be shot to death if you're not white.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Shame on the rest of the world for not providing black Americans political refugee status. The state is straight up murdering them for next to nothing and 99% of the time not even bothering to charge the motherfuckers and 99% of the time after that never convicting.

dont worry, there was a serious grassroots campaign about this and the state acted quickly to label it a terrorist cell

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

:shittypop:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Vladimir Putin posted:

more police officers die from heart failure due to being fat pieces of poo poo than are shot on the job. go gently caress yourself

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

maybe if you're a flighty coward who will try to avoid any consequences for your cowardice after ending an innocent person's life, you shouldn't be a cop :thunk:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the solution to all of this is legitimately to either take officers' guns away or to multiply training length by like a hundred

preferably both

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Vladimir Putin posted:

Soldier/Marine/Special Forces Navy on deployment, fireman, power line utility worker.

I don't often hear about firemen axing the poo poo out of people though.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

brugroffil posted:

The most dangerous part of an officer's job is driving around all day. It's not even a top-10 most deadly job.

Really? How is that possible. I mean you carry a gun so it's got to be at least more dangerous than like marking spreadsheets all day.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/876845921392369665

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Vladimir Putin posted:

lmao you think most cops have it hard

fuckin lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

lol all cops are loving massive dicks and criminals

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That DICK! posted:

my cousin is a police chief and he's an ok or even good dude otherwise but years of welfare checks have definitely made him racist. I know cspam I know, he's bad and I should kill him, but life is full of these little complexities

The issue is accountability. It isn't that all, or even most, cops are bad, its that the bad ones can literally kill you and get away with it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Vladimir Putin posted:

Even with that in mind we've had dozens of publicized examples of this not being anywhere near a good enough excuse. Who knows what the gently caress is going on that's not being turned into national news.

Cops should absolutely be given some leeway in this area. More than a civilian. But not carte blanche to fire 7 shots into anyone they feel like with the thinnest of excuses.

Risking your own life is part of the job. Risking everyone elses lives for yours isn't.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the supreme court literally said "if a cop is afraid for his life then he is not criminally liable for anyone he shoots and murders", and it just happens to turn out that like 80% of cops immediately become afraid for their life in the presence of dark skin

who was the kid that was murdered because he was big and also bull rushed an oncoming suv or whatever

unironically there have been so many people murdered by cops i can't keep track but hey everything is fine

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vladimir Putin posted:

Lumberjacks are killed way, way, way more often than cops are.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
you don't even need to be a cop to use the "I was afraid for my life" defense to kill black people

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

dog cops are bad too. that is how terrible the polic are

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

THE loving GOD DAMNED loving GARBAGEMAN IS MORE LIKELY TO DIE ON THE loving JOB gently caress

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

also if you side with a cop in an event so egregious as this one, maybe you shouldn't be a human :thunk:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Vladimir Putin posted:

If a big part of your job is pulling people over and pulling people over makes you so afraid that you kill someone for absolutely no reason then you probably shouldn't be doing that job.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's so hard being a cop that I eat meatball subs literally constantly and the devastating fart attack that ends my life at 48 will be mourned by the media and community more than any of the 20 minority children I shot for being scary

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Thoguh posted:

The issue is accountability. It isn't that all, or even most, cops are bad, its that the bad ones can literally kill you and get away with it.

sure sure. i wasn't trying to absolve my cousin, i was more pointing out that even "the good ones" are probably racist as gently caress because of years of sampling bias

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

D1E posted:

Soldier/Marine/Special Forces Navy on deployment, fireman, power line utility worker.

I don't often hear about firemen axing the poo poo out of people though.

also power line utility workers can somehow fix the power lines outside a black man's house without swinging down and choking his kids to death with electrical wire

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Yinlock posted:

like if i was in charge

well thats a problem, you will turn smooth brained eventually

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Vladimir Putin posted:

most factory jobs, most jobs working at height, most jobs working with heavy machinery, most jobs working with cars, most medical jobs,

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
george ossof is going to lose and the neolib DNC will blame the left for it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/877279214709256192

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Even with that in mind we've had dozens of publicized examples of this not being anywhere near a good enough excuse. Who knows what the gently caress is going on that's not being turned into national news.

Cops should absolutely be given some leeway in this area. More than a civilian. But not carte blanche to fire 7 shots into anyone they feel like with the thinnest of excuses.

Risking your own life is part of the job. Risking everyone elses lives for yours isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/dick_nixon/status/877210712199884801

• Locked thread