Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hawaii shipyard. NO KA OI!

Those guys were slow as balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm not a ship dude but from what I've heard from my friends who are, and what I've seen in my current job, Hawaii is basically cancer for ships. Obviously a lot of strategic importance in having ships based there but it seems like a drat poo poo show.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
When will they standardize turbine engines so aircraft carriers can also have engine parts for DDGs?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Suicide Watch posted:

When will they standardize turbine engines so aircraft carriers can also have engine parts for DDGs?

I think Nuclear Destroyers would be cool

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I'm not a ship dude but from what I've heard from my friends who are, and what I've seen in my current job, Hawaii is basically cancer for ships. Obviously a lot of strategic importance in having ships based there but it seems like a drat poo poo show.

Everything in Hawaii works slow, backwards, and has 30x the graft built in.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

Carrier turbines are a lot bigger than DDG turbines, no?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I think Nuclear Destroyers would be cool

Didn't they do a nuclear cruiser or something? Can't say they ever got as small as a DDG.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

orange juche posted:

Didn't they do a nuclear cruiser or something? Can't say they ever got as small as a DDG.

CGN's like the USS Texas were the smallest nuclear surface ships I know of.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Actually if you want to get technical, USS Truxtun was a nuclear Destroyer Leader (DLGN-35). So technically, a nuclear powered destroyer. (She was reclassified to CGN-35 though during the cruiser realignment)

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Suicide Watch posted:

This is kinda dumb given the requirements of marine and aviation turbines, but it would be really nice if AIMD on the large decks would stop loving pretending that LM-2500's are strange, alien technology that are impossible for them to help work on.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Hi guys, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I've been on base the last two days just checking on my crew, getting things off the ship, and adjusting.

Mentally I'm still doing alright. I will go see the psychiatrist while they're here, but again, I have a very good support network right now.

So, being on the ship is rough. To put it the best way that I can, the ship is tired. All ships have personalities and of course, every ship has it's motto. Ours is "Protect Your People." The ship did that on Saturday. We should have lost so many more lives. But we're back home. The crew isn't on her. She's done and needs some rest. Looking at the extent of the damage now, I think we were incredibly lucky to be sailing her back home, regardless of our DC efforts.

It's hard to hear people tell me that I'm a hero and that I saved lives. For me, I was just doing my job. ER Division and the sailors that fought like hell to remove water are the real heroes.

Also, I met the CNO and MCPON today. They both said that my efforts saved lives and the ship. I got both of their coins, and I hugged the MCPON.

As for repairs and the like, we're still waiting to see about a lot of that. Yokosuka and SRF are consummate professionals and make things happen like nothing I've ever experienced. We had a major casualty with NR 3 GTG and NR 3 SWBD recently. We pulled in on a Wednesday, and it was fixed by Saturday. The extent of the repairs though is going to be impressive.

And I would very muck like to dickslap the former CO of EAP, but I would probably just ask him, "trust me now?" For the CO that gave up on me, I just want to ask him if I've finally earned that pin.

Actually one of our officers was given his pin today by the CO. I think it was the CO's way of saying, "You earned this on Saturday. You're good."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm glad your skipper is doing better as well.

Dude take all the time you need. There will be plenty of time for war stories later.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

Everything in Hawaii works slow, backwards, and has 30x the graft built in.

It's a matter of Hawaii time. Things on the islands move at island pace with an island price.

The real crazy poo poo is stuff like the auto shipping. I was bullshitting with one of the guys when i dropped off my POV. The people outside with the clipboards doing nothing had a $120k/yr union gig.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

ded posted:

Hawaii shipyard. NO KA OI!

Those guys were slow as balls.

There's a reason we called them NO KAN DO.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Valley Stared posted:

I got both of their coins, and I hugged the MCPON.

:3:

Also, yeah, I used to get incredibly frustrated watching the Hawaiian contractors laying around on the pier at 2, or begin cleaning up at that time 'because the day ends at 4'

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

orange juche posted:

Bainbridge was the smallest one, IIRC, and it was about the same tonnage as a Burke. Virginias were a little heavier than Ticos, they just didn't look like it.

(former CGN dude)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

:3:

Also, yeah, I used to get incredibly frustrated watching the Hawaiian contractors laying around on the pier at 2, or begin cleaning up at that time 'because the day ends at 4'

Shoots brah

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=101120

PRT now matters in the only way it should - do good and get rewarded by not having to conduct the next cycle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=101120

PRT now matters in the only way it should - do good and get rewarded by not having to conduct the next cycle.

excellent, not good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That's pretty brilliant but I imagine even if you're exempt from the 2nd one you'll be voluntold or some such bullshit

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Post partum got a bit more time to work off the baby gainz.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

excellent, not good.

Haha, yeah. I meant in the way that 'this is cool and good' not 'excellent low'

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The PRT is like 30 minutes of your life, it is just an admin headache on the CFL side. But if this messes up life for the fatbodies, cool

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Plus the 30 min warm up and gathering of everyone, 30 min after trying to get your time in so you can bounce. Running in 95 degree dry heat nah gently caress that

Plus I worked night shift so I either got to do it on my day off or coming off work 😊

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Plus the 30 min warm up and gathering of everyone, 30 min after trying to get your time in so you can bounce. Running in 95 degree dry heat nah gently caress that

Plus I worked night shift so I either got to do it on my day off or coming off work 😊

I ran it in 55 with a driving rain. Still got a 12:00 on the run but it was loving miserable.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I ran it in 55 with a driving rain. Still got a 12:00 on the run but it was loving miserable.

Look at this newbie that doesn't understand that the bike is the light.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Look at this newbie that doesn't understand that the bike is the light.

My rear end in a top hat is too bent out of shape to comfortably ride the bike.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

just be one of those fatties that tries to do the bike or swim because it's easier, never train, and fail and end up on FEP

I get they're options, but leadership still tries to coerce people away from those unless they have an injury or some poo poo

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
TVS, I hope you write everything down, not just for the jagman, but also for yourself.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mr. Nice! posted:

The people outside with the clipboards doing nothing had a $120k/yr union gig.

thats longshoremen everywhere in america

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Anybody know if you can claim TLE while staying with family?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I had a dream last night that I needed to re-enlist and go through bootcamp again. I'm so glad I'm done.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Conflicting reports between the US Navy and the Japan Coast Guard as to time of the Fitz collision: http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/06/japanese-coast-guard-investigates-a-one-hour-delay-in-reporting-the-uss-fitzgerald-collision/

quote:

The Japanese Coast Guard said initially that the crash occurred at 2:20 a.m., since the Filipino cargo ship had called in the report at 2:25 a.m. But after conducting a thorough review with crew members aboard the cargo ship, it was concluded to be closer to 1:30 a.m. than previously thought.

To make matters more confusing, U.S. officials are still sticking with the 2:30 a.m. timeframe for the collision.

Navy Spokesman Cmdr. Ron Flanders said that “[an earlier collision time] is not our understanding.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Elendil004 posted:

Conflicting reports between the US Navy and the Japan Coast Guard as to time of the Fitz collision: http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/06/japanese-coast-guard-investigates-a-one-hour-delay-in-reporting-the-uss-fitzgerald-collision/

The dude that broke down the AIS for the container ship explained it pretty well. I'm guessing the official US answer is because 1 - the government is effectively running rudderless with an incompetent administration in charge, and 2 - the actual information from their own investigation is still pending.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Pretty sure -1 has precisely nothing to do with it. 2 is pretty much the right explanation.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Everyone is looking to get the scoop right now, but it's all meaningless until an actual report is released.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Really this thread was days ahead of most news stories while still being accurate. Like holy gently caress was this a bad situation even only confirming RUMINT

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, the DCA of the ship in question IS a goon, so.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Yup. Still can't talk about what happened, but the investigation has started. I was interviewed the other day for over two hours. Trying to explain things to the Coast Guard was both easier and harder than I expected.

Today we had the memorial service for the 7 sailors. It was nice. Admiral Swift is a great guy, and you could tell that he actually gives a gently caress about what happens to us. The ship is doing better too. Still a mess, but in a better state then it has been.

Again, I wish I could say more about what's happening, but I can't at this time. I'm sure some of you guys have heard rumors about what's going to happen to the ship, and to be frank, no one really knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It boils down to budget and how badly the rest of the hull is damaged I would guess. With how big a hardon they have for getting LCS poo poo they might just scrap her.