Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

The other thing with a policemans/woman's job is that you're exposed to some of the worse of human nature on a daily basis. You're going to see some really bad poo poo the people are willing to do to each other. That's got to wear on you if you start out as a normal decent person.

They also live in their own bubble of justifying awful behavior while promoting an "us vs them" mentality about the public. They are their own bad influences about the problems with humanity and Ed Balls agrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/GraysonMurray/status/876969737145765889

Maybe don't reach for your concealed carry permit next time duh

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

That DICK! posted:

Lets hear from that Dirty Jobs rear end in a top hat again. It's been a few weeks since he said that Both Sides are Bad and Millennials are Lazy

But blue collar jobs are SO NOBLE! These people should take pride in dying of black lung!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mormonpartyboat posted:

some people faint at the sight of blood

if they sign up to be an emt and take the time to go through the courses and get certified and then on their first time out faint on someone with a scalpel and kill them, im going to go straight to this thread and say "actually its a hard job"

I did look at career options and cops normally only require a GED or HS diploma so I guess critical thinking, which is focused on in college isn't really in the curriculum because your brain is still developing until you're 21 or so

what im saying is education reform

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

hm that little girl is endangered by second hand smoke

better discharge my pistol with traditional cop inaccuracy, compounded by me being in a blind panic, near her

she learned an important life lesson at least

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

That's actually an SC ruling? What was the case name and how long has it been on the books?

since 1989, good article on it here

https://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-cases-police-shootings-force-2015-12

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

also you could use a "fecal transplant" as a way to introduce a strain of e. coli that produces performance-enhancing metabolites

you know, if you were an unscrupulous but very intelligent sports medicine researcher or something i'm sure there are none of those around

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hm that little girl is endangered by second hand smoke

better discharge my pistol with traditional cop inaccuracy, compounded by me being in a blind panic, near her

lol cop being near a little black girl leads to far more little black girl fatalities than second hand smoke

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OhFunny posted:

I knew Trump would convert to Islam after the blowout party the Saudis threw for him.

We're a proxy military for them now, didn't you hear? Whatever they want, even if the justifications are revealed to be totally fabricated minutes later, that's what they get

Sorry Qatar, I'd feel worse if you were a slave state

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

the last few years has mad eme hate mike rowe. it was a sad day i realized that and i'm thinking i might have been just behidn th ecurve on taht guy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/GraysonMurray/status/877283747229564928

:thunk:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Unperson_47 posted:

also if you side with a cop in an event so egregious as this one, maybe you shouldn't be a human :thunk:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

SirPhoebos posted:

That's actually an SC ruling? What was the case name and how long has it been on the books?

The legal framework rests on Tennessee v Garner (1985) "probable cause to believe the suspect poses a threat of harm to the officer or others" and Graham v Conner (1989), "Reasonableness of use of force shall be judged from the point of the view of the officer at the scene and without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight".

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lastgirl posted:

I did look at career options and cops normally only require a GED or HS diploma so I guess critical thinking, which is focused on in college isn't really in the curriculum because your brain is still developing until you're 21 or so

#BluePathosMatters

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/MilesKlee/status/877279570604445697

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The root of this isn't both sides, it's the press believing every reporter has special privledges by virtue of being a newsman lol, it's why they'll jump to defend any old garbage org if the principle is violated

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

you can't get hired to be a cop if you score too well on the entrance exam or an iq exam.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

poop doping is extremely my poo poo

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

dont call them blues wtf

they prefer to be called dark elves

and thats speciesist u gently caress

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
*Tips milk glass* M'daycrew.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

We're a proxy military for them now, didn't you hear? Whatever they want, even if the justifications are revealed to be totally fabricated minutes later, that's what they get

Sorry Qatar, I'd feel worse if you were a slave state

The Vassalization of Donald

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

NecroMonster posted:

you can't get hired to be a cop if you score too well on the entrance exam or an iq exam.

dire

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jazerus posted:

also you could use a "fecal transplant" as a way to introduce a strain of e. coli that produces performance-enhancing metabolites

you know, if you were an unscrupulous but very intelligent sports medicine researcher or something i'm sure there are none of those around

just run or cycle or whatever like a normal person, why do you need poo poo powers or whatever

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah, it's a social contract. Never ever break any laws and then cops will get paid to do nothing.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the police literally went to court to protect their right to not hire competent people

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spoeank posted:

MAYBE INSTEAD OF HATING ISIS, STOP BREAKING SHARIA LAW is a great reply I cannot link because of all the dead bodies

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
USA: Due to the nature of your job we will give you some slight leeway in cases where it was abundantly clear that you were put into an impossible situation and the result of your coin toss wasn't the correct one.

Cops: Did you just say I can kill anybody I feel like if I just say I was scared?

USA: No you're actually supposed to be held to a HIGHER standard, not lower, we're just saying in certain circu-

*bang bang bang*

Cops: I smelled weed so I killed this guy

USA: No, that's not wh-

*bang*

Cops: uhhhhhhh I thought that seven year old had a gun

USA: C'mon that's not even close to the kind of situation we're talking about. You're supposed to be brave and put your own life on the line somet-

*bang bang bang*

Cops: That wasn't us that time

USA: Who was it?

Cops: That was our rich friend who runs around with us sometimes because he wants to feel cool

USA: Goddammit

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
obey the law and I promise you will live

yeah I mean it worked out great for Charleena Lyles

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

USA: Due to the nature of your job we will give you some slight leeway in cases where it was abundantly clear that you were put into an impossible situation and the result of your coin toss wasn't the correct one.

Cops: Did you just say I can kill anybody I feel like if I just say I was scared?

USA: No you're actually supposed to be held to a HIGHER standard, not lower, we're just saying in certain circu-

*bang bang bang*

Cops: I smelled weed so I killed this guy

USA: No, that's not wh-

*bang*

Cops: uhhhhhhh I thought that seven year old had a gun

USA: C'mon that's not even close to the kind of situation we're talking about. You're supposed to be brave and put your own life on the line somet-

*bang bang bang*

Cops: That wasn't us that time

USA: Who was it?

Cops: That was our rich friend who runs around with us sometimes because he wants to feel cool

USA: Goddammit

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

just stop breathing or even existing and cops wn't be ascared of u and we call be happy. never talk to my daughter again, btw

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

*Tips milk glass* M'daycrew.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

NecroMonster posted:

the police literally went to court to protect their right to not hire competent people

yeah it owned

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

quote:

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Jordan alleged his rejection from the police force was discrimination. He sued the city, saying his civil rights were violated because he was denied equal protection under the law.

But the U.S. District Court found that New London had “shown a rational basis for the policy.” In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.

the police went to the judge and said "cops are bullshit, your honor" and the judge had no option but to agree that only people stupid enough to stick around should be hired

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

cops also aren't legally required to protect or save members of the public if it would put the cops own life at danger

cops are for ticketing people in lovely broke down cars and shooting minorities

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

obey the law and I promise you will live

yeah I mean it worked out great for Charleena Lyles

and philando castille.

*doesn't do anything wrong

*is pulled over

*is shot

:sun:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

hey does anybody remember when the right flipped the gently caress out at Obama bowing to the Saudis a while back or whatever

good poo poo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/877171142716424192

jake tapper took a big huff of the both sides paint today

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Admiral Ray posted:

and philando castille.

*doesn't do anything wrong

*is pulled over

*is shot

:sun:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he was second hand weed smoking his daughter, and, ,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

the police went to the judge and said "cops are bullshit, your honor" and the judge had no option but to agree that only people stupid enough to stick around should be hired

everyone involved in this decision should be in jail

• Locked thread