Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Or that, sorry I'm probably not the best at giving advise as I'm not that great, just meant don't battle for position on your first few races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah if someone's straight up faster than you just run your normal line and let them decide where they're going to make the pass. Moving off line when they might've already decided where to try and pass you to minimise carnage only makes things worse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also, if someone is faster, make them pass you, don't just give up the spot. I keep seeing morons on reddit complaining that people don't let them past even though they are clearly faster. One guy even said it is unsportsmanlike to hold up a faster driver.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Also, if someone is faster, make them pass you, don't just give up the spot. I keep seeing morons on reddit complaining that people don't let them past even though they are clearly faster. One guy even said it is unsportsmanlike to hold up a faster driver.

Stop blocking me by running the same line you've run for the last 10 laps.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Pfft. Just pass below the apron, since iracing considers it a valid racing surface.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
omfg half the incidents on ovals are by morons going on and off the apron. stay on the loving track.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think the official line is they will only get involved if a person is protested for causing a wreck by going down and coming up off the apron. If no wreck occurs, then it's fair game.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 20, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I got screeched at with a string of dark obscenities for trying to move over for someone faster than me. This is why I don't play iRacing except to occasionally do time trials with the NASCAR trucks for no good reason other than I find it enjoyable. Maybe I should just install some mods for NR2003 instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A lot of the super fast guys in lower level series are guys who just spend hours hotlapping to put in pole laps then just drive away and hotlap some more for 25-30 minutes. If they're challenged on the start they'll usually drop back fairly quickly because they have no idea how to actually race and are usually also protect SR at all costs types.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The G29 doesn't really clamp onto my desk very well.

That means I should just go out and buy a sim cockpit, right? :retrogames:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Aww, the first little rationalization down the long dark path :3:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

FBS posted:

The G29 doesn't really clamp onto my desk very well.

That means I should just go out and buy a sim cockpit, right? :retrogames:

Welcome!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Bentai posted:

Pfft. Just pass below the apron, since iracing considers it a valid racing surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS0DWGJi_vU

Can confirm

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I have one of these for my modded Driving Force GT:
http://xwstands.com/page11.php

Also got a cheap banana chair, extended the front legs of the wheel stand with some PVC pipe, and boom, racing rig that I can set up and tear down in minutes. The plate for mounting the wheel is too thin, so I added a half inch chunk of wood between it and the clamp arms. I also ended up with a set of the Fanatec CSR pedals, but they're the set that don't work without a Fanatec wheel (or a Basher Board adapter, but he was on paternity leave and not selling parts when I needed it). I went a little mad and bought a Derek Speare generic controller board and wired the potentiometers on the pedals into that, so now it's a generic controller device. Added some RC shock absorbers to the brake pedal for better resistance. I still have the original 2 pedals for the Logitech in case I want to boot up PS2 games, and that one has half a foam soccer ball smushed under the brake pedal for a less lovely experience. Still need to move the sequential shifter wiring into a separate box and mount it, and add flappy paddles since I took off the back buttons when I replaced the steering wheel with a bigger one from a go kart.

Works great, except I need a more stable platform to attach it all to, otherwise it tends to wobble from side to side when I'm trying to hold a difficult line. Not gonna do anything about that til I move into a bigger space, though.

Just realized this is a shitpost with photos. Will edit later.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I got screeched at with a string of dark obscenities for trying to move over for someone faster than me. This is why I don't play iRacing except to occasionally do time trials with the NASCAR trucks for no good reason other than I find it enjoyable. Maybe I should just install some mods for NR2003 instead.

Turn off the chat in iRacing while in rookies. Or always.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Larrymer posted:

Turn off the chat in iRacing while in rookies. Or always.

Rookie chat is amazing and funny though to me, it's the thing that moves iRacing from a good game to a hilarious game.
Friday night rookie stocks is a thing to behold, I have had tears in my eyes many times

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

People with deep Alabaman accents yelling at you on ovals is the essential rookie experience. I love it

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

"THREE WIDE ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Really?? Really?? THANKS FOR THE 4X!!!!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'M JUST HERE FOR SR MAN

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Or my favorite combo:

quote:

<-- Pass Left
<-- Pass Left
<-- Pass Left
Contact 1x
Loss of control 2x
Thanks!!!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

GhostDog posted:

Aww, the first little rationalization down the long dark path :3:

Micro Center happened to have a Playseat Evolution in stock for $320 and I tried it out in the store and it seemed comfy enough, so I got it. It's not that much pricier than a wheel stand and the Playseat footprint is about the biggest setup I can squeeze into my apartment. I'm getting pretty good at this rationalization thing - thank god I already have an Oculus Rift.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You should look at pedal sets!

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I'm looking to get started on some sim racing and need a wheel + pedals. I was thinking of the g29 but that doesn't come with a shifter included. I guess I could always buy the separate shifter or just stick with the paddles in the beginning, or is there a similar (price and quality) combo that comes with a decent wheel + 3 pedals and a shifter?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bentai posted:

Or my favorite combo:

Don't forget having "sorry" hotkeyed within fingertip reach!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Gonna bind "sorry" to both paddles and use stick shift for hypercars once I get my wheel. It's only sportsmanlike.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I'm looking to get started on some sim racing and need a wheel + pedals. I was thinking of the g29 but that doesn't come with a shifter included. I guess I could always buy the separate shifter or just stick with the paddles in the beginning, or is there a similar (price and quality) combo that comes with a decent wheel + 3 pedals and a shifter?

I don't think anything comes bundled with a shifter anymore. Only logitech's came with shifters in the box before, and they realized they could charge more for less so they did.

The Thrustmaster shifter is really nice. I'd recommend trying it out. it has adjustable resistance, has an awesome gate, you can change the throw with aftermarket gates, and you can also use it as an analog handbrake or sequential shifter.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

GutBomb posted:

I don't think anything comes bundled with a shifter anymore. Only logitech's came with shifters in the box before, and they realized they could charge more for less so they did.

The Thrustmaster shifter is really nice. I'd recommend trying it out. it has adjustable resistance, has an awesome gate, you can change the throw with aftermarket gates, and you can also use it as an analog handbrake or sequential shifter.

On pc can you mix and match any combo of wheel, pedals and shifter?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The Logitech G25/27's need a USB adapter mod to connect the pedals and the shifter separate from the wheel. Not sure about the G29, and as far as I know the gear from Fanatec and Thrustmaster are all USB.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

On pc can you mix and match any combo of wheel, pedals and shifter?

You can in any game that supports it. Some don't. Last I heard, the Sebastien Loeb Rally game doesn't support multiple devices, but it's an outlier.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Forza Horizon 3 doesn't either but pretty much all the sims do.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah this is why being able to take inputs from multiple controllers is a thing in PC racing games. Someone could have their wheel, pedals, shifter and usually a button box as well if they're running separate components. That's before you get into stuff like handbrakes and data displays if you're truly insane.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

peter gabriel posted:

Rookie chat is amazing and funny though to me, it's the thing that moves iRacing from a good game to a hilarious game.
Friday night rookie stocks is a thing to behold, I have had tears in my eyes many times

I was smug as gently caress when I worked my way up to the A licence for Ovals.

I miss Rookie Street Stocks though. The bantz levels were through the roof.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

finally i am ready to play farming simulator

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
ACTUALLY I don't see this anywhere in your picture

https://www.ebay.com/i/263010934718?chn=ps&dispItem=1

:colbert:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

poo poo, time to get a bigger desk.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
lol idk what tractor that is from but it'd actually be useful in DCS

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thief posted:

lol idk what tractor that is from but it'd actually be useful in DCS

You're not flying the Viggen by any chance? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Silly low run peripherals like that seems like the sort of thing 3d printing exists for, design your ultimate controller in some modeling software, pay someone to print it, then toss in a usb controller and some buttons.

Which I've actually looked into in the past, and you definitely can do it, but there's no magic usb controller out there that lets you program the buttons via gui or anything. You're basically programming an arduino with keyboard codes.