Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Even then the Romanoi emperors of what we call the Byzantine Empire went on to rule for another thousand years after the “fall“ of the western empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm aware of the byzatines like any good goon :v:

But while they were the most direct continuation of the Empire they always felt like such a strongly separate entity, culturally.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

That's mostly because you are looking at the Empire through a western lens, though. We always associate the Roman Empire with Latin speakers and the city of Rome and Augustus and whatnot, but throughout its existence the Empire had a Greek speaking eastern half that was always culturally distinct from its western counterpart (although the cultural connections and similarities were at least equally strong). And finally don't forget that the public perception of the eastern empire is strongly influenced from medieval and later Romantic western cliches and prejudices, which are not only not necessarily representative of reality but also came to be many centuries after the separation of the two halves of the Empire, so the East simply had a lot of time to develop on its own and follow a trajectory that would naturally end in an empire that towards its end looked very different from what it was a thousand years before.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You're not telling me anything I didn't know. If it makes you feel better I'll remember to use the term western Roman emperor here.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

You're not telling me anything I didn't know. If it makes you feel better I'll remember to use the term western Roman emperor here.

Try and keep this in mind, if all an emperor is known for before he is assassinated is his goofball impulses it usually means he didn't gently caress up anything too badly. He was most surely a puppet controlled by his mother until their murders. The Roman Empire at that time was so lumbering and distant from border to border that most places on the edges had military rule or de facto autonomy and one kid used as a human rubber stamp in the middle couldn't mess it up too badly unless he tried.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is Putin a tsar/caesar? Because one gets the feeling he'd like that honorific.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Putin is czar grozny as gently caress
(e: but not in title)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is the gun that cosmonauts use to have with them in space:

The reason they had them is that they landed in Siberia after the end of their mission. And Siberia has wolves and bears.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

You left off the part where it had a stock that was also a machete.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They just issue Makarovs now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

They just issue Makarovs now.

Pffft, what's the point of even becoming a cosmonaut if you don't get your awesome machete gun.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Is Putin a tsar/caesar? Because one gets the feeling he'd like that honorific.

Their coat of arms is a doubled-headed eagle, which is a late Byzantine thing, so they're definitely still trying to project that kind of authority.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Frogfingers posted:

Their coat of arms is a doubled-headed eagle, which is a late Byzantine thing, so they're definitely still trying to project that kind of authority.

Related to this I just found out Americans might've had a double-headed eagle on the Great Seal.

quote:

Pierre Eugene du Simitiere's sketch of his proposal for the Great Seal of the United States during the first committee's proceedings in 1776. The committee chose a similar design for their official proposal, but it was not used. Six years later, the E Pluribus Unum motto was used on the final seal, and the Eye of Providence was an element on the reverse. This design is apparently the origin of both, as far as their usage by the U.S. Government.

The seal depicts a shield with six regions, representing the "Countries from which these States have been peopled" (Rose for England, Thistle for Scotland, Harp for Ireland, Fleur-de-lis for France, Belgic Lion for the Netherlands -- then the Dutch Republic -- and an Imperial Eagle for Germany) surrounded by the initials of all thirteen states. The Goddess of Liberty is on the left (the shield's right, or dexter), and the Goddess of Justice is on the other side.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

Considering how long Rome existed I kind of considered 200 years not that much time but fair enough. I should have generalized it to Roman emperors in general.

Rome existed for a long, long drat time. You were guaranteed to end up with more than a few really loving weird people in positions of power over that period of time. Humanity as a whole is just plain weird and gross so it shouldn't come as a surprise when you turn up emperors who were bug gently caress crazy.

Elagabalus was by all rights kind of a poo poo head too; he demanded increasingly insane levels of decadence and would torment people who passed out drunk by locking the doors after leading leopards or bears or some other such animal into the room. So people would wake up from their stupid and go OH gently caress HUGE PREDATOR. What really topped it though was that he took a liking to ostrich brains. That's it; just the brains. Now, ostriches have pretty tiny heads and pretty tiny brains. They're not exactly the smartest creatures around so to have a whole meal of ostrich brains you need quite a few of them. Which had to be imported. To Rome. From Africa. In large numbers. During the 3rd century. This was not a cheap endeavor at all.

There's disagreement historically on how much of it is true and how much of it was made up but there's evidence that he was a total poo poo that everybody hated. It seemed that he took "I'm both Emperor of Rome and a literal loving god" far too much to his head and just demanded whatever struck his fancy at the moment. It became so absurdly expensive just to give him the food he wanted people were like "this little fucker has to die."

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I was reading his ~Wikipedia~ article because I've never heard of him before. He sounds like a nut. But it did get me to wondering why that one guy dismantled the Vestal Virgin thing. Had it really been around for 1,000 years?

I remembered there was an A/T...but I'm sure they already covered it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I.C. posted:

I was reading his ~Wikipedia~ article because I've never heard of him before. He sounds like a nut. But it did get me to wondering why that one guy dismantled the Vestal Virgin thing. Had it really been around for 1,000 years?

I remembered there was an A/T...but I'm sure they already covered it.

It's unknown when the Virgins really came to be - when Roman legend is to be believed, they were originally created outside of Rome some 650 years or so BC. Emperor Theodosius abolished them in 391 as part of his efforts to christianise the Empire, but they had slowly been dissolving away before that, too, owing to the Roman elite beginning to turn towards Christianity from ~350 AD onwards. There was at least one woman who left the Vestals and became Christian, for example, which would have been an utterly unthinkable thing not long before that. The Virgins weren't the only ones affected, either; there was a bunch of other ancient priestly colleges that went away around 400 AD too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

He didnt dismantle the virgins last i heard. He put his own god above the Roman God's, even Jupiter, and married one of the virgins which was A Thing You Weren't Supposed To Do. But it was Theodosius I who ended the vestal virgins over 150 years later because he made Christianity the state religion.

Edit: beaten

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Not many people know this, but

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

System Metternich posted:

Jesus loving Christ

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Shbobdb posted:

I mean, there was a specific term for the policy blowback of their alliance with Germany. "Finlandization". Nobody wanted to touch a former Nazi ally so while remaining nominally unaligned they had to default to Soviet influence because if nobody wants to be your friend, your best option is to cozy up to the most powerful person next to you and hope they don't beat you up too badly.

The Finns were more anti-Soviet than they were pro-anything. Especially since they were in the process of being liberated by the Soviets pretty much as soon as the war started.

But nuance in "We were allied with the Nazis" is something that doesn't play well.

this really isn't correct etymology even if its use is very distantly applicable in this case, the term was created by west germans to criticize finland's detached but cordial cold war relations with the USSR, contrary to the position most other western nations took, such that term popularly developed to mean 'bowing to the east but not bending so low that it would be perceived as mooning the west;' so by not taking a firm stance against communism (or capitalism for the matter) and even being permissive of some soviet censorship of its media finland was seen as giving the USSR its implicit approval while still retaining its sovereignty and other relations with the west - the decision to pursue this kind of finely balanced foreign policy on the part of finland was mostly due to the precarious balance of power that it understood between itself and the USSR which dictated neutrality to both superpowers was the best course

it's popularly taught that finlandization was considered a bad thing in the west because if other nations, especially the ones in NATO, decided to walk similarly cordial lines between superpowers it would weaken the united front the US expected all good nations to present

the term can be applied retroactively to some countries in ww2 like switzerland in how they maintained cordial relations with both the german reich and the allies but the term 'finlandization' doesn't actually fit ww2 finland super well given its co-belligerence with germany then

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Related to this I just found out Americans might've had a double-headed eagle on the Great Seal.

I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of American imagery is directly Roman. Bald eagles, colossal statues of presidents in monuments, in fact, Abraham Lincoln's hands rest on a pair of fasces, the Roman symbol of authority.

Those walls are still there and are big enough and span far enough that the course that runs between the inner and out wall is wide enough to play a game of basketball on, the inner walls are still pretty intact and used to be rented apartments in times of peace, and currently hold a fair few Syrian refugees, and the moat of the outer wall is thick enough that it has been converted into highway tunnel.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Do they still have that giant chain I heard about in a Turisas song?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Nessus posted:

Do they still have that giant chain I heard about in a Turisas song?

Some of it is in the archaeological museum. You can touch it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fun fact:
Saying something cool is "off the chain" originates with the Byzantines who would say things that were grand in scale or extravagant were "Της αλυσίδας" ([as if] of the chain" and first entered English in 1877 when Reginald st.John Menzies Cholmondeley, earl of Scunthorpe, used the phrase to describe his trip to Siam.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:
Saying something cool is "off the chain" originates with the Byzantines who would say things that were grand in scale or extravagant were "Της αλυσίδας" ([as if] of the chain" and first entered English in 1877 when Reginald st.John Menzies Cholmondeley, earl of Scunthorpe, used the phrase to describe his trip to Siam.

Questionable etymology itt

Off the chain simply refers to a frenetic dog that has been let loose. It is used in reference to something crazy and/or exciting

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fun fact:
Making up random facts that sorta sound like they could be true is fun.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:
Making up random facts that sorta sound like they could be true is fun.

It's the best.

Fun fact:
History is chock full of this

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Nerds posted:

Questionable etymology itt

Welcome to probably around half of the thread

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The bulk of Otis Redding's career as a recording artist took place from when he was about 21 until his death at 26, which I think is pretty amazing to realise when you listen to those songs.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:

This is the equivalent of someone wearing a bowler hat, blue woad, a kilt and a pair of wellies while Morris dancing around a maypole drinking porter.
:golfclap:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Helith posted:

This is the equivalent of someone wearing a bowler hat, blue woad, a kilt and a pair of wellies while Morris dancing around a maypole drinking porter.

Ohhh, it was hyperbole. I missed that with my mad rush to try to be right on the Internet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Season greetings:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

Season greetings:

My great uncle was a b-24 co-pilot with the 485th and flew a mission on Hitler's birthday.

The bombs had "happy birthday, rear end in a top hat" on them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Crossposting from the D&D pictures thread:

Styrian Völkertafel (table of the European peoples), first half of the 18th century:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Alhazred posted:

Season greetings:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Helith posted:

It's stereotypically british?

I mean, that's basically what you people do all day, right

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It's stereotypically british?

I mean, that's basically what you people do all day, right

It's the name.

The British upper classes, due to centuries of inbreeding, idleness and nannies chewing their food for them, became unable to move their jaws properly when speaking. Poor dears.

So Reginald St. John Menzies Cholmondeley would have introduced himself as
"Reginald Sinjin Ming Chumlee"

Earl of Soval officehorpe. Problematic. Especially with the pronunciation issues that poor Reg has.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Rome existed for a long, long drat time. You were guaranteed to end up with more than a few really loving weird people in positions of power over that period of time. Humanity as a whole is just plain weird and gross so it shouldn't come as a surprise when you turn up emperors who were bug gently caress crazy.

Elagabalus was by all rights kind of a poo poo head too; he demanded increasingly insane levels of decadence and would torment people who passed out drunk by locking the doors after leading leopards or bears or some other such animal into the room. So people would wake up from their stupid and go OH gently caress HUGE PREDATOR. What really topped it though was that he took a liking to ostrich brains. That's it; just the brains. Now, ostriches have pretty tiny heads and pretty tiny brains. They're not exactly the smartest creatures around so to have a whole meal of ostrich brains you need quite a few of them. Which had to be imported. To Rome. From Africa. In large numbers. During the 3rd century. This was not a cheap endeavor at all.

There's disagreement historically on how much of it is true and how much of it was made up but there's evidence that he was a total poo poo that everybody hated. It seemed that he took "I'm both Emperor of Rome and a literal loving god" far too much to his head and just demanded whatever struck his fancy at the moment. It became so absurdly expensive just to give him the food he wanted people were like "this little fucker has to die."
The best Legacy of Elagabalus is that John Zorn used it for the basis of an avante garde album that includes one song of Mike Patton just screaming, scatting, chocking, and laughing manically
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgbbiPItNes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Helith posted:

It's the name.

The British upper classes, due to centuries of inbreeding, idleness and nannies chewing their food for them, became unable to move their jaws properly when speaking. Poor dears.

So Reginald St. John Menzies Cholmondeley would have introduced himself as
"Reginald Sinjin Ming Chumlee"

Earl of Soval officehorpe. Problematic. Especially with the pronunciation issues that poor Reg has.

nothing beats Featherstonehaugh for dumb aristocracy names