Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Dude McAwesome posted:

#BeautifulDaisy is as bad at debating on this triple j hack (male priviledge) thing as she is at writing erotic funeral stories.

So she's going to get a lot of attention and cement herself further into the media zeitgeist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Personally I'd rather half-wits like Cousens get all the attention. We're better off that the right-wingers in the spotlight are dumb as gently caress. Can you imagine Miranda Devine if she could string together an argument? Someone with the communications skills of Bolt who isn't a screaming pissbaby? Rowan Dean with the rolling in faeces? Makes me shudder.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Starshark posted:

Personally I'd rather half-wits like Cousens get all the attention. We're better off that the right-wingers in the spotlight are dumb as gently caress. Can you imagine Miranda Devine if she could string together an argument? Someone with the communications skills of Bolt who isn't a screaming pissbaby? Rowan Dean with the rolling in faeces? Makes me shudder.

So the regular press then?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Dude McAwesome posted:

#BeautifulDaisy is as bad at debating on this triple j hack (male priviledge) thing as she is at writing erotic funeral stories.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Starshark posted:

Silver lining, I guess?

You're a gem, Bogan King. This is glorious.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Arsetralian posted:

Data doesn’t back NT child sexual abuse claims

Claims of high child sexual abuse rates in remote Aboriginal communities that prompted the 2007 emergency intervention in the Northern Territory have not been backed up by data collected in the decade since, the royal commission into youth detention in Darwin has heard.

Menzies School of Health Research Professor Sven Silburn told the inquiry that while there had been an “almost exponential increase in (protection) notifications” for indigenous children since 2007, almost half of these were for cases of neglect.

Professor Silburn, a child protection expert, told the commission it was “noteworthy” that there was a higher rate of sexual abuse notifications in the Territory for non-indigenous children than for indigenous ones, “given the very prominent attention that was given to the supposed prevalence of child sexual abuse as one of the triggering factors for the Northern Territory intervention”.

He said the Howard government’s military-backed intervention, which was launched a decade ago this Wednesday, had come on the back of increased awareness of child protection issues, including the Little Children Are Sacred report which triggered it.

But he said changes to Northern Territory child protection laws at the time, including mandatory reporting requirements, were primarily behind a massive rise in indigenous child protection cases that was now threatening to “overwhelm” the system.

He presented data to the commission demonstrating a “steadily increasing and almost exponential increase in notifications, particularly since 2007 … but what you see here is that the very substantial increase among Aboriginal children between 2006 and 2017, the difference is mostly in the emotional and neglect substantiations”.

“The type of abuse is quite different (for indigenous and non-indigenous rates),” he said. “Almost half (of) notifications for Aboriginal children concern neglect, which is almost double the rate in the non-Aboriginal population. You’ve got similar rates of emotional abuse, higher levels of physical abuse among non-Aboriginal children and higher levels of sexual abuse among non-Aboriginal children.”

Professor Silburn said in 2014-15 there were 7365 Aboriginal children notified to the child protection system, 1439 with a substantiated concern and 1067 resulting in an out-of-home placement. He described these numbers as being of “epidemic proportions” and warned that if the trend continued “the current system is clearly not sustainable”.

“As a public health concern (given) what we know about the detrimental long-term effects on health, behaviour and learning we’d see this as a public if not a humanitarian crisis,” he said.

The comparable figures for non-Aboriginal children in the same year were 2417 notifications, 315 substantiations and 184 out-of-home care placements.

The evidence came as indigenous public health leader Pat Turner described the intervention as “a complete violation of the human rights of Aboriginal people” and “still a shambles” for which “both sides of politics were responsible”.

“I mean, this is 10 years ago, this is not a hundred years ago, and Aboriginal people were being treated like this,” Ms Turner, CEO of the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation said. “It was almost a violation of every possible human right you could think of.”

That's the one that broke me. gently caress this gay earth.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why is comrade Shorten siding with the private schools? :ussr:

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Anidav posted:

He went to a private school. Turnbull was the one who went up through the public system when the powers that be actually believed in it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Because shitloads of labor voters send their kids to $3k a year Catholic schools.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Because shitloads of labor voters send their kids to $3k a year Catholic schools.

Sure they do

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thread often confuses private school ($20k+) with Catholic school (<$5k).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Sure they do

Um, yes they do. Students at lovely suburban Catholic schools are going to be from working class Labor families.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

JBP posted:

Thread often confuses private school ($20k+) with Catholic school (<$5k).

Astounded parents still have to pay to pimp their children out.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Actually true believers invest in the public system and give a full gonski and smoke weed and tell their kids harsh truths at a drunken BBQ. They lob whiskey glasses at the TV while singing solidarity forever.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Am I correct in thinking the Catholic schools are angry because the rich as hell ones have been getting all the money instead of the poor ones, and now the Government intends the money to actually go to the poorer ones?

However, the Catholic powers that be still decide where the money is going (instead directly to the school that needs it), so I don't understand what they are complaining about? Won't they still get the money to the rich kids who need it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sorry for doxxing Cartoon ad BCR

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Actually true believers invest in the public system and give a full gonski and smoke weed and tell their kids harsh truths at a drunken BBQ. They lob whiskey glasses at the TV while singing solidarity forever.

I do this but I went to private school and haven't got kids yet because I drive women away with my unwavering support of Israel.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

JBP posted:

I do this but I went to private school and haven't got kids yet because I drive women away with my unwavering support of Israel.

Please stop showing people your circumcision scars.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JBP posted:

The thread has a permabanned user to introduce you to. How do you feel about (for a given value of) erotic Ariel Sharon literature?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's time for Sodom and Gomorrah 

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe

JBP posted:

good evening, friend. i am here to seduce you.

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
i spread my legs and my thighs roll out before you like the sunburnt plains of the negev crying out for rain

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
And it begins.

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
my burning bush commands you: take off your shoes, for you stand on sacred ground.

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
stop the boats

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ziggurat posted:

good evening, friend. i am here to seduce you.

I love you

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

JBP posted:

maybe they should just nationalise the el cheapo catholic schools or something

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lizard Combatant posted:

And it begins.

I hope you're happy :colbert:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

:munch:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Comstar posted:

Am I correct in thinking the Catholic schools are angry because the rich as hell ones have been getting all the money instead of the poor ones, and now the Government intends the money to actually go to the poorer ones?

However, the Catholic powers that be still decide where the money is going (instead directly to the school that needs it), so I don't understand what they are complaining about? Won't they still get the money to the rich kids who need it?

yes. they're upset for the sake of being upset. loving papists

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

C should be the other way around no matter outcome of A & B.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/877291309337268224

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Christensen is loving worried about his seat [ABC]. Workers are still hosed though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Close down all private schools, divert money to all public schools, as private schools push the bullshit classism that shouldn't exist in Australia.

And while we're at it, close down all inner city golf courses and turn them into either public parks or low cost housing for people.

Remember people: More Love, Less Andrew Bolt.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

You Am I posted:

Close down all private schools, divert money to all public schools, as private schools push the bullshit classism that shouldn't exist in Australia.

And while we're at it, close down all inner city golf courses and turn them into either public parks or low cost housing for people.

Remember people: More Love, Less Andrew Bolt.

Agreedo. Also anything anyone wants to have heritage protection should be handed over to government ownership and control immediately. Oh and greyhound and horse racing tracks to be converted to public parks and housing too. The working class don't go to racing days.

ITT Green Goon Caucus' radical agenda for loving over NIMBYs

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I, Jeremy Buckingham, say we shall turn the reclaimed space into parkland accessible only to land owners (and not traditional land owners, gently caress that noise). Also, all new developments must be micro-homes but new development approvals are to be scrapped so as not to damage the current market value of our base, the rich white landowner.

#livinggreenspirit

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zenithe posted:

I hope you're happy :colbert:

Slightly underwhelmed actually

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Working class people love race days. Race days happen all year round, not just on the fancy dress carnival days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Working class people also like to play golf. Used sets of clubs are cheap and you get 4-5 hours of outdoor entertainment for $25-35 which is essentially unbeatable.

You can also drink while you play.

• Locked thread