Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

pubic works project posted:

Oh the Lakers GOT the 27th? They could be about to flip 27 & 28 and junk for PG.

I can't believe that Indiana couldn't find better elsewhere, even for a rental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

i think the lakers trade is decent for the lakers

they need a solid center to compete and lopez seems like he can fill that role nicely

and dumping the mozgov contract is great for them

lopez seems like an above average center, am i wrong to think that?

Do you think rebounding and defense from your center is important ?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Yeah I'm not hating on the trade on the lakers side as much as you guys seem to be. What I don't get is why the nets would make this trade

it makes sense for the Nets to do this, they can roll the dice with Russell and see how he can do with a team that isn't actively looking to shut his poo poo down

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't believe dlo got dumped for pennies

Just the mosgov contract is worth a late first in return

Oh wait I got it backwards

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lopez is an expiring contract that they're probably not even interested in re-signing. Am I wrong to be thinking that?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/877239889749712896 lol

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

RaySmuckles posted:

and dumping the mozgov contract is great for them

Sunk cost fallacy and all but paying to dump a contract that you literally signed less than a year ago that was immediately mocked is one of the sadder things I've seen a team do.

russell is a keeper on my fantasy team he better not get stuck behind caris lavert or some dumb poo poo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

I want a Magic Johnson tweet on this trade. I want it so bad.

here is a magic tweet https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/876525634775793664

lmao

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

I don't actually think the Cavs were coasting in the regular season. In the playoffs they were the same thing they were in the regular season: a really good offensive team (but moreso!) that sucked on defense (also even moreso!) and was gently brushed aside by the first legit team they played, a team that never looked like they were being pushed and seemed to find the Cavs' game 4 hot streak kind of funny.

In the regular-season the Cavaliers finished 10-14. Then in April/May playoffs they started 12-1. That's textbook levels of coasting.

DeimosRising posted:

If Draymond could resist his lust for balls for just 48 game minutes, Lebron would be on a four year finals losing streak without having to play a single team with a 5+ SRS before getting there.

I don't see coming in second place four straight years as much of an issue. The finals record framing is misleading. Nobody ever said Karl Malone was on a nineteen year losing streak. You're overemphasizing regular-season SRS.

The Cavaliers will be a year older and more likely to lose in the finals in 2018. LBJ is staring down being 3-6 in the finals. 3-7 and 3-8 in the finals.

LBJs finals numbers continue to improve as he gains more experience:

code:
GmSc/48	Player		Year
33.3	LeBron James	2017
30.5	LeBron James	2016
28.6	LeBron James	2014
25.9	LeBron James	2015
25.8	LeBron James	2012
25.1	LeBron James	2013
15.0	LeBron James	2011
11.9	LeBron James	2007

ex post facho posted:

i don't think it's really shortsighted to think that wahtever team lebron and curry are on are favorites to make it to the finals for the next 5 years, or i guess until lebron finally starts breaking down, which will admittedly probably happen in the next 3 years

the nba could eliminate:

[15 teams]

disperse their talent to the other 15 teams and you instantly have a better league, full of stacked teams that would produce the best most competitive basketball youve ever seen

Your extrapolations are completely unprecedented. The talent level concentrations would be indiscernible.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Wow I didn't realize Lopez only averaged 5.4 rebounds per game last season. That's pretty underwhelming for a 7 footer.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I can't believe that Indiana couldn't find better elsewhere, even for a rental

Maybe they did and this is Magic giving up on PG this year, and shooting the moon for next.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Do you think rebounding and defense from your center is important ?

almost certainly yes

unless randle is a green level defender

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

brookyln doing a prokhorov and trying to buy paul george right when everyone thought they were finally rebuilding.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
What pg's agent wants doesn't really mean what pg wants or even cares about so that seems like a really silly tweet unless it's written weird and was meant to say that pg wanted to play with dlo

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Wow I didn't realize Lopez only averaged 5.4 rebounds per game last season. That's pretty underwhelming for a 7 footer.

i think he's banged up

isn't he banged up

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Brook has always been bad at rebounding

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

I want a Magic Johnson tweet on this trade. I want it so bad.

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726924762413289472

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

Tae posted:

So basically they're giving up the #2 overall pick for a contract that almost everyone thought was bad and signed on the first day of free agency as the first center signed.

Lakers.

This may very well be the right move but it's depressing to me. I didn't love Russell but giving up on a young player to get out of a contract that they celebrated/touted is grim.

I understand it was the previous GM who made the signing and the pick so maybe both felt tainted to the new guys, but this fouls up the idea of a young core that was going to be allowed to grow together.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Vertical Lime posted:

i think he's banged up

isn't he banged up

I mean he played in 75 games and averaged 20 PPG in 30 mpg. That doesn't seem like he was hurting but I haven't watched the nets this year. I don't think anyone has.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

"Don't get HIV, D'Angelo. Now gently caress off."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well dlo plays the same position as Lonzo so it wasn't really going to work

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The entire state of IL is threatening bankruptcy (first time a US state has done this IIRC). This could be the final straw.

Spacebump posted:

Shows the value of a coach that isn't dumb enough to try to make statements by taking minutes away from some of the better players on the team. Shades of Butch Van Breda Kolff.

Which players?

Tae posted:

How is that different from the last 10 years

LBJ won't even be there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

I thought the Wade staying in Chicago news would be the peak laughing point of today but then here COME THE SUPER LAKERS.

wade declining his option would be shocking, that's his last payday until he starts his line of fancy pantaloons or whatever he does in retirement, dude is totally checked out on a lovely team and will probably play like 30 games next year while collecting his $24 million, he's already got his rings, he's in the HoF, and they're putting his number in the rafters in Miami.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

euphronius posted:

Aren't they both combo guards?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I don't watch the nets either but just one guy's rebounding numbers don't mean much. The lakers could just let randle handle the board no?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Away all Goats posted:

Aren't they both combo guards?

Not really, and especially not Lonzo

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius posted:

Wasn't DLo a better college player and pro prospect?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

Wasn't DLo a better college player and pro prospect?

I don't think so

But also college Dlo is different then what he's doing in the pros

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bulls should've gone all in to reunite the Lopez Brothers and change the name of the United Center to Elbowtown USA.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/877295819522621441

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Try all four, Magic!

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
the trade stinks unless they sign lebron then it is good imho!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I will wake up tomorrow morning and there'll be 600 new posts. poo poo.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I don't think Brook Lopez factors into their long term plans anyway. As a 1 year guy to get 20ppg and keep the team losing he's not a bad option

I just think this jeopardizes their odds at Paul George. I'd be worried Cleveland gets him and he enjoys making the finals. Maybe they could put together a package of the 27 + 28 + Future 1st + Randle / Ingram for George but I really doubt Indiana is that desparate

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

R.D. Mangles posted:

bulls should've gone all in to reunite the Lopez Brothers and change the name of the United Center to Elbowtown USA.

I am 100% ready for the Elbowtime Lakers era.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jack's Flow posted:

I will wake up tomorrow morning and there'll be 600 new posts. poo poo.

Double after draft night

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I don't think Brook Lopez factors into their long term plans anyway. As a 1 year guy to get 20ppg and keep the team losing he's not a bad option

I just think this jeopardizes their odds at Paul George. I'd be worried Cleveland gets him and he enjoys making the finals. Maybe they could put together a package of the 27 + 28 + Future 1st + Randle / Ingram for George but I really doubt Indiana is that desparate

Lmao no I'm pretty sure we are

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It was just the other day after the PG news some Laker fan on Reddit was talking about OPTICS, how they matter, and that maybe Magic really was the right choice. Lol

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The NBA is drunk again. No way this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
russell gonna be just fine i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ48dMwVqPg

• Locked thread