Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

I think the real issue here isn't even QM, it is how serious Unranked takes itself and the lengthy draft process complete with Bans and everything. If it was a simple quick chat lobby where you just lock in a hero and go, it would be much better, and I think the comps would be far better. But I understand right now the point of Unranked is to test new comps without it going against your ranking.

Yeah this is what I was thinking with my QM suggestion, picking your team basically as if you were a 5 man pre-made without having to interact with the other team's picks, bans, etc. But I can see how that raises other issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah this is what I was thinking with my QM suggestion, picking your team basically as if you were a 5 man pre-made without having to interact with the other team's picks, bans, etc. But I can see how that raises other issues.

It'd make QM even more toxic, because bad picks would be the teammate's fault instead of the awful matchmaking

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

EdRush posted:

Blackhearts Bay liker checking in

:same: The most fun it is possible for a human to have in this game is playing murky on bhb. You're so good at running camps that you'll constantly have 6+ coins, but the risk of getting ganked is so great. the risk makes the reward that much better imo.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I like BHB from a fun standpoint but I can see why some people don't because optimal play ignores most of the flow of a HotS game

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
If you like BHB you should give Try Mode a shot. It has both siege and bruiser camps, and as soon as you've cleared them you can reset and go again. You can experience a full 30 minute BHB game in less than half the time.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gustav posted:

If you like BHB you should give Try Mode a shot. It has both siege and bruiser camps, and as soon as you've cleared them you can reset and go again. You can experience a full 30 minute BHB game in less than half the time.

Yeah but then I don't have the thrill of enemy players and the humor of teammates complaining about the map

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Yeah but then I don't have the thrill of enemy players and the humor of teammates complaining about the map

But it has Arthas. And maybe they can give your Malf some lines complaining about your skill, and asking why you are in Try mode if you don't even know your hero.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The only thing I'd say would help qm is if heroes had a minor adjustment to the chance they would show up on their worst maps.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tender Bender posted:

That sounds like league's team builder

E: which they got rid of

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I like BHB but it's mainly because aesthetically the best map between the setting, music (especially the War2 music cue that hits during turnin), and of course announcer.

Also IIRC it's the first map I played back in the alpha, so that probably ingrains it in my mind too.

Does Blackheart still have the "There's no one left to stop you!" line after a teamwipe? That was my favorite line but I don't remember hearing it recently.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I like BHB because there's a number of different strategies that you can use to approach it, meaning it has a huge amount of potential team combinations.

I hate BHB because some of the strategies that you can use on it are loving miserable to play against. For instance, anything involving Tracer.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

How is tracer miserable on bhb?

I think everyone is so used to the map it's a lot better now. Since I've had to start playing on it again I haven't had a really miserable match yet.
Garden is as I remember it

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Garden is apparently not like a lot of people remember, because I keep seeing people running back and forth dropping the plant at every fort even though it doesn't appear to do damage anymore.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

That change happened before Chromie was added, Jesus Christ.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Lots of us haven't played in a while and came back for 2.0 :shrug:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

EdRush posted:

Blackhearts Bay liker checking in

Big old same. I also like Braxis but mostly for selfish reasons

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Garden has also been out of rotation a long long time

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

How is tracer miserable on bhb?

Due to how Tracer attacks, she can destroy Chests nearly instantly. Couple that with her extreme mobility, a well-played Tracer on BHB is a loving nightmare.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Garden has also been out of rotation a long long time

Yes it has been a good time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Garden is good

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Macaluso posted:

Being free of Garden is good

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Garden is apparently not like a lot of people remember, because I keep seeing people running back and forth dropping the plant at every fort even though it doesn't appear to do damage anymore.

What does it do now? Just stun buildings and you need to whack em?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Garden is ok but I hate when maps are out of rotation for so long. I've gotten people in their placement matches who have literally never played blackheart's bay.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Macaluso posted:

Garden is good

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Bruceski posted:

What does it do now? Just stun buildings and you need to whack em?

Yeah. Stunned buildings take quad damage from the terror or something like that. And it stuns core too now.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Also the terror's melee attack will kill all of the minions nearby in an aoe, so if you're crossing a lane and walking across a minion wave it's helpful to stop and smack it once.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Tracer is so much fun. Yeah she eats poo poo if the enemy can lock her down, but just casually strolling along next to a Li-Ming that missed all of her skillshots and plinking her to death is the best.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

NeurosisHead posted:

Also the terror's melee attack will kill all of the minions nearby in an aoe, so if you're crossing a lane and walking across a minion wave it's helpful to stop and smack it once.

It also does a lot of damage to heroes but god help you if you do literally anything but beeline to a building and only hit it. On the other hand, feel free to only use the dragon to kick people.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

beejay posted:

It also does a lot of damage to heroes but god help you if you do literally anything but beeline to a building and only hit it. On the other hand, feel free to only use the dragon to kick people.

don't forget to breathe fire into a bush before you approach a structure

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wow, you guys weren't kidding. Haunted Mines really does suck poo poo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The only maps I profoundly dislike are Braxis Junction, the Haunted Mines, and Hanamura.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Haunted mines should spawn a creep on your creep wave every time you kill one underground.

Braxis is good because of the beacons

Hanumara is a bad map

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Braxis is good because of the beacons

Actually Braxis is bad because of the beacons

but also because of all the other terrible stuff about that map

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I bought valeera on a whim. One match impressions, I'm surprised people take the assassinate talents when garrote is so good and eviscerate does less damage than I always expect considering I need to build it up.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Please don't garrote unless the caster is guaranteed to die during that time, if you cheap shot them at least they'll freak out during it and there's a much better chance that your team mates will dog pile the target.

Maybe I'm using of garrote wrong but it just seems like Val'z worst ability. Speaking of her though Cloak of Shadows is an amazing ultimate.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Replace all maps with Towers of Doom and maybe Warhead Junction for special occasions.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Lots of us haven't played in a while and came back for 2.0 :shrug:

You'd think people would catch on though? I slam-picked Shadowstalk the first time I played Tyrande after the update but it only took me a single time to realize that it had become a third version of Shadowstalk.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

You'd think people would catch on though? I slam-picked Shadowstalk the first time I played Tyrande after the update but it only took me a single time to realize that it had become a third version of Shadowstalk.

Yeah, now Shadowstalk is super awesome. The level 20 upgrade to it is also amazing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BHB is good as long as your team remembers its a PVE map and doesn't try to ping you constantly to turn in coins when the other team is defending turn in and you're getting more xp and more coins while they're distracted. A good BHB draft results in a team that never tries to do more than skirmish because once you're ahead on that map there is jack all your opponents can do without taking huge risks I think Garden is the only map i've never liked in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Spudd posted:

Please don't garrote unless the caster is guaranteed to die during that time, if you cheap shot them at least they'll freak out during it and there's a much better chance that your team mates will dog pile the target.

Maybe I'm using of garrote wrong but it just seems like Val'z worst ability. Speaking of her though Cloak of Shadows is an amazing ultimate.

Garrote is better against casters in coordinated play, but yeah in QM hearing that classic 'cheap shot' sound makes everyone excited to jump on and attack.