Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Anyone else sometimes feel like they're chasing ghosts?

I had a game where I dropped in Rozhok with another guy, took me 4 multi-story buildings to find even a handgun and by that time the other guy must've bolted, because I looted 3/4th of Rozhok without seeing a trace. I did see 2 cars passing nearby, but they didn't stop and I couldn't land a hit. Went to chase a care package, but got distracted by gunfire nearby and then when I didn't find anyone, I lost my bearings on the package. Running to the circle, somebody took a shot at me, but I couldn't see them immediately and didn't wanna stop in the middle of the field to find out. Going over a hill, I shot a Dacia but couldn't manage to land any hits again, so I went into one of those small sheds that's built right next to a house. Had to clear out due to the circle and the second I step outside I got sniped.

Came in 7th after not finding/hitting anyone all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

When you're hunting a crate down, try to mark the map where you think it's landing in case you have to make a detour.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They need to make it so consecutive red zones don't overlap. Just had three consecutive red zones on my location, and the instant I went outside to beat the circle I got blown up.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

People die to red zones? :confused:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The coolest part about PUBGs map to me is that, even if you've technically seen every location, the overall vibe of the locations can change drastically based on how late in the game it is/what you're trying to accomplish. For example, I had a game end on the gun range south of Severny. I've been to that range a couple times before, but generally it's early on so I'm just sprinting through, grabbing whatever I can and moving on. Having it be part of the final circle made me realize how many little nooks and crannies there are to conceal yourself as you move through it, and how many spots an ambush could be waiting for you. It was a completely different experience.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Neon Belly posted:

People die to red zones? :confused:

Yep. It's rare but hilarious.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

PantsBandit posted:

The coolest part about PUBGs map to me is that, even if you've technically seen every location, the overall vibe of the locations can change drastically based on how late in the game it is/what you're trying to accomplish. For example, I had a game end on the gun range south of Severny. I've been to that range a couple times before, but generally it's early on so I'm just sprinting through, grabbing whatever I can and moving on. Having it be part of the final circle made me realize how many little nooks and crannies there are to conceal yourself as you move through it, and how many spots an ambush could be waiting for you. It was a completely different experience.

One of my favorite parts of PUBG is that it truly makes visual cover meaningful, something games have gotten extremely wrong or ignored for years mostly due to technical limitations. Hiding in tall grass and stalking someone is something I've been wanting the ability to do in a game for years.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

qkkl posted:

They need to make it so consecutive red zones don't overlap. Just had three consecutive red zones on my location, and the instant I went outside to beat the circle I got blown up.

We've had it on us 5 times in a row before; it was absurd. The barns east of Pochinki are just havens for it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I've been in a car with a full squad and we all got killed by a red zone direct hit. Was :laffo: as gently caress.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

mashed_penguin posted:

I've been in a car with a full squad and we all got killed by a red zone direct hit. Was :laffo: as gently caress.

I had a guy in my group get downed my a red zone. I went to rez him. Another explosion happened in the exact same spot, killed him and downed me. And yep, it was :laffo:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Yodzilla posted:

One of my favorite parts of PUBG is that it truly makes visual cover meaningful, something games have gotten extremely wrong or ignored for years mostly due to technical limitations. Hiding in tall grass and stalking someone is something I've been wanting the ability to do in a game for years.

My first ever solo win ended with me spending 3 minutes crawling through tall grass like big boss to get a flank on the last person alive. It was absolutely incredible.

Edit: the best part was at like 2:45 or so into the 1v1 he just started panic throwing grenades. He knew I was out there somewhere but he didn't know where and it made me feel so awesome. He must have been making GBS threads his pants.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
GreenManGaming is emailing out 27% off codes for this.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A thing we know for certain is that red zones always target a player- another thing we know is that they tend to be very "streaky," i.e. they target groups with multiple airstrikes in repetition too often to be random chance.

Our working theory is that the red zone picks a player to target, and when that player is done being the target, it moves down the list to the next player. Thing is, the list must not be random, and if it picks players by the order in which they connected to the server, well, groups tend to connect all at the same time, so you've got a high chance of being targeted 3-4 times in a row if you're in squads, especially if you all have very similar pings to the server.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

aniviron posted:

A thing we know for certain is that red zones always target a player-

We do?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yes. It Has Been Determined.

Airstrikes will never land on an empty area. If you see an airstrike near you, someone is there. It's not centered on them, they can be right at the edge, but someone is there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The bombs don't fall on water either.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

aniviron posted:

Airstrikes will never land on an empty area. If you see an airstrike near you, someone is there. It's not centered on them, they can be right at the edge, but someone is there.

Unless PlayerUnknown or BlueHole has confirmed this I will be extremely skeptical of this until I see the amount of data used. By simple probability, a red zone is incredibly likely to include a player because the map gets naturally constricted by the circle and the players are somewhat naturally distributed (though not uniformly so) because it's easier to stay alive that way.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Am I misremembering seeing air strikes too far deep into the blue zone to expect someone to be there?

At the same time I feel like I've been in the PERFECTcenter of those. Seemed unlikely it was that big of a coincidence, though it certainly could be.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

PantsBandit posted:

This is a really good post that highlights at least part of why I love this game, warts and all

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, as you make it to more and more final circles you start to learn the good spots to claim around the map. Rock clusters, good buildings, hills with 360 degree cover, etc. It's one of the things that has started to make a big difference in getting top 10 more often for me. That and always get a vehicle, every game, even if you land inside the first circle. Being able to re-position to a good spot in the center of the circle ASAP is huge, then all you have to do is hold that spot and kill everyone who comes near you.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah my success chances went way up when I started grabbing a car every game.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i have never died to a circle in 300+ rounds, and i have no idea how people do

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cinara posted:

That and always get a vehicle, every game, even if you land inside the first circle. Being able to re-position to a good spot in the center of the circle ASAP is huge, then all you have to do is hold that spot and kill everyone who comes near you.

I can't emphasize this enough. It's bitten me in the rear end several times and I still gently caress this up. Most of the time I'm really worried about being seen/heard by everyone left in the game, so I'll be like 'nah let's hoof it so nobody hears us' and then you get circle hosed or are still seen anyways and are like 'goddamnit we should have kept the Dacia'.

90% of the time it's always better to keep the car and you should be careful about giving it up.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

aniviron posted:

During one of the charity or dreamhack streams the dev guy said they were random. Maybe he was vamping or didn't know, but it's his word vs anecdotes.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So the new pistol will have full auto or single fire, be able to use a red dot, and takes 9mm ammo and silencer. I'm thinking it will be the most used pistol moving forward.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Hamelekim posted:

So the new pistol will have full auto or single fire, be able to use a red dot, and takes 9mm ammo and silencer. I'm thinking it will be the most used pistol moving forward.

I predict the most used pistol will continue to be whichever one is the first pistol you see until you find a primary.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Badfinger posted:

I predict the most used pistol will continue to be whichever one is the first pistol you see until you find a primary.

I hope not.

Maybe it would be more useful on a first person server. You can more easily sneak up on someone and unload on their head in silence.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Shotguns are sorta near worthless as it is.

Lmao, just no. A choked over/under is godlike. BABOOM, dead. Even at mid-range.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Ice Fist posted:

I can't emphasize this enough. It's bitten me in the rear end several times and I still gently caress this up. Most of the time I'm really worried about being seen/heard by everyone left in the game, so I'll be like 'nah let's hoof it so nobody hears us' and then you get circle hosed or are still seen anyways and are like 'goddamnit we should have kept the Dacia'.

90% of the time it's always better to keep the car and you should be careful about giving it up.

I'm finding I want to be on the side of the circle with the smallest distance to the blue wall of death. Less chance of being killed from behind especially late game.

A vehicle is super useful for getting to that edge.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Hamelekim posted:

I hope not.

Maybe it would be more useful on a first person server. You can more easily sneak up on someone and unload on their head in silence.

I literally throw my pistol away if I get far enough into the game that I have 2 primaries and a grenade, just to make sure I don't accidentally swap to pistol with a bad button press.

I know some people hang on to them just to shoot out windows, but I just punch those fuckers.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Badfinger posted:

I literally throw my pistol away if I get far enough into the game that I have 2 primaries and a grenade, just to make sure I don't accidentally swap to pistol with a bad button press.

I know some people hang on to them just to shoot out windows, but I just punch those fuckers.

I throw mine away because I don't carry ammo for it after I have other weapons never pressed 3 by accident though.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I try to just match my pistol's ammo to my SMG if I have one. Otherwise fairly useless.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I wanna see statistics and graphs of how populations of players spread/even out/decrease before and after deployment.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'd like to see at least one other regular map with different aesthetics but the same basic "flat island with a bunch of different interesting features" setup. I feel like two maps and maybe a couple more guns/attachments will be an excellent amount of content for PUBG on release.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone have a particularly good guide for parachuting and beating people to a predetermined place you want to go?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

abigserve posted:

I'd like to see at least one other regular map with different aesthetics but the same basic "flat island with a bunch of different interesting features" setup. I feel like two maps and maybe a couple more guns/attachments will be an excellent amount of content for PUBG on release.

They have two more planned so I think that will be enough for the core game. One snow with a central mountain and the second a desert city.

I really want that movement patch so I can climb walls. It will add so much to the strategy of the game.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah games where I have a vehicle feel way better than games when I don't. Cars are noisy but a lot of people are hesitant to shoot at you because they aren't confident they can get the kill and don't want to give away their own position. Even if you watch players who are really good at the game and shoot at almost everything, even those guys often only land 1 or 2 hits on vehicles passing by. Seems like a very solid, calculated risk to take.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I'm disappointed it's going to be a desert city and not a regular city. Tan city is probably easier to make. If my googling is accurate, the current total map is roughly 5 miles X 5 miles. Making a map that big with this much detail is pretty amazing.
A bunch of a tall buildings with 5+ stories would probably be a pain in the rear end to play in. A few buildings with 10+ stories with multiple stairwells might be pretty neat.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

cosmicjim posted:

I'm disappointed it's going to be a desert city and not a regular city. Tan city is probably easier to make. If my googling is accurate, the current total map is roughly 5 miles X 5 miles. Making a map that big with this much detail is pretty amazing.
A bunch of a tall buildings with 5+ stories would probably be a pain in the rear end to play in. A few buildings with 10+ stories with multiple stairwells might be pretty neat.

The link below has the desert map from above in concept form. Seems pretty interesting to me.

https://www.goldah.com/pubg/news/39...ice-map-in-pubg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Are the ironsights on pistols still hosed up and useless?

• Locked thread