Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I took it as him trying to subtly suggest she give up her holocaust survivor cosplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

If you were trying to hint that someone needed to lose weight, wouldn't you go a size down?

this is a rookie manipulator mistake, too obvious

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [13M] sister [21F] wants me to walk her down the isle at her wedding. My MIL told me I can't do it because I'm too short

quote:

Hello first time user, I live with my sister & BIL. My father died of cancer last year and I have lived with them. My sister is the only family I have, our aunts don't talk to us because of our mother, but that's not the issues have not seen her in 7 years. My Sister & BIL just graduated college last year as I came to live with them

My sister wants me to walk her down the isle, I still don't know what I am suppose to do except for walk with her and then dance with some girl I have never heard off before. She's one of my sisters bridesmaids and she's my age. She wants to dance with me for some reason, I don't know how to dance.

Anyway earlier today the ancient one came to visit, my sister was in the kitchen and the ancient one proceeded to tell me that it's wrong for a man of my height and age to walk a woman down the isle and forbid me from doing it.

How do I tell my sister without causing a fight between the ancient one and her

tl;dr: the ancient one (MIL) forbid me from walking sister down the isle. How do I tell my sister without causing a fight between the two

quote:

I'm having trouble why the one who looks like she crawled out of the mummies tomb cares about how tall I am. How tall can she expect me a 13 year old to be?
I'm not even short, I'm of the tallest people in my grade all my friends are shorter than me. They come up to my chin or shoulders. My sister is like 5'6
I can't imagine how rough it is having Cthulhu as a mother in law.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ritual has certain height rules, kiddo, and shell be damned if you gently caress up her body swap due to poor genetics.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

My [13M] sister [21F] wants me to walk her down the isle at her wedding. My MIL told me I can't do it because I'm too short

I can't imagine how rough it is having Cthulhu as a mother in law.

"This girl wants to dance with me, I have no idea why." lol teenage boys forever missing hints.

Barudak posted:

Yeah, I took it as him trying to subtly suggest she give up her holocaust survivor cosplay.

He wants that booty thicc. A better way to tell is bring up how she should work out with him.

Lonely Virgil fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 20, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm 26 and still missing them, AMA

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Calls mother in-law ancient one repeatedly, describes her as having crawled out of a "mummies tomb" [sic], and is not supposed to walk down the isle.[sic] Kid is also bigger than all his peers.

I want to believe. :cthulhu:

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

La Brea Carpet posted:

Boyfriend [32M] is an extremely picky eater

32 years old, SMDH.

My boyfriend is kinda picky, but in weirdly idiosyncratic ways.

Like he'll generally veto Thai or Indian food, and get grumpy if the wrong condiments are on his burger (but he'll still eat it), but one of his favorite things to eat is this Filipino stew made of pigs blood, and he always orders the chicken feet when we get dim sum.

He still always eats what's out in front of him at events and parties though, like a normal person.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My Girlfriend [26 f] of 3 months thinks its ok to insult me [33 m] in front of people and friends.

quote:

Basically, this is the situation.

My gf who is very feminine overall can sometimes be a little masculine and want to try and act like one of the boys sometimes. Which I'm perfectly fine with for the most part.

However, the only part I have an issue with is that she thinks its ok to call me names in front of my people and friends sometimes.

Here are a couple examples:

We were on a date and we both had a couple beers, but I stopped myself half way through because I needed to drive us home. Well, she wanted to do some shots and I told her I cant do any shots because I had to drive.

The bartender was right there when we started talking about shots and she starts jokingly calling me a pussy to him. Kinda like how Biff calls Marty McFly a chicken in back to the future.

Another time was when we were at this lake and she wanted me to jump in the water with her and I was going to, but just not right at the moment because I as in the middle of doing something else so she starts calling me a pussy in front of my friends.

Anyways this to me is very embarrassing and emasculating, so I confronted her about it several times that I don't like it and to not call me names in front of people or my friends and her thinks I'm overreacting and being a pussy about it and took offense like I was attacking her. Yeah pretty comical I know.

I even tried to explain it in a way to tell her "Well how do you think that makes you look? You are calling me a pussy to people, but you are the one dating a pussy?" And she responds with, everyone knows I'm just joking. it's not a big deal.

She is 26 and can be a bit immature at times. I try and explain it to her calmingly and rationally but no matter how I explain it she seems to take offense like I'm attacking her when I confront her about this subject and doesn't seem to care to respect my opinion on this matter.

How should I best go about this so she knows this is unacceptable in a relationship.

tl;dr: Gf thinks its ok to call me names like "Pussy" in front of people joking around trying to be one of the boys, but I find it unacceptable and emasculating. She gets butt hurt when I confront her about it and thinks I'm overreacting and being sensitive. How do I solve this issue?

What a fuckin' pussy.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pathetic bitch boy

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

La Brea Carpet posted:

My Girlfriend [26 f] of 3 months thinks its ok to insult me [33 m] in front of people and friends.

What a fuckin' pussy.

I mean in all fairness he was being a gappy little pussy so she was just callin em like she sees em. :shrug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Me [26 M] with my husband [24 M] married for 3 months, problem with each other's picky eating

quote:

Hi, Long time lurker at this sub. I've recently got married and our new lives have been pretty perfect except when it comes to one thing - meal times.

I'm extremely health conscious when it comes to eating, mainly because my many of paternal relatives have Type 2 diabetes and many of my maternal relatives have high blood pressure, heart disease and suffered from strokes. My dad was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in his late 20s, and my mum was diagnosed with high blood pressure in her early 40s and recently had an emergency heart bypass surgery. I think my 'health-consciousness' has somehow led me to judge how 'delicious' a food is not by its taste but by how healthy it is (like low in saturated fat, high in fibre, low in sugar and salt, high in complex carbs etc).

My husband on the other hand is quite a picky eater and has a long list of food he hates, and many of the food on his list are actually food that I consider 'tasty', like skin-on potatoes, fresh curly kale etc. When it's his turn to do cooking, he would end up cooking food that's very high in saturated fat (like deep fried, processed meat or very rich in cheese), which triggers my health-consciousness issue.

As a result of having quite different fundamental meal preference, we sometimes end up having very different definition of a same dish. Take chicken salad for example - mine would be very stripped back and contains the recommended 4 of 5 in one meal, and his would be rich with mayo/ cream. He wanted to have schnitzel one day, and as a compromise I asked if he could serve a side salad with it, and he ended up serving spring onions with sour cream as the 'salad'. Needless to say, I didn't have any.

This difference in meal preference has led to quite a few conflicts and arguments and I'm not sure how to tackle this tricky issue. I understand that he's an adult and I cannot change the way he eats, and the only way to solve this issue is to find a solution to work around it, something that can cater to our very different eating habits. I'm wondering if there's anyone who had the same problem and how you've dealt with it? Thanks in advance!

tl;dr married for 3 months, both of us have very different meal preference which is causing quite a few conflicts and unsure with how to deal with it.
And then, the lede:

quote:

[–]Usrname52 60 points 7 months ago
What did you do before marriage? Never eat together?

[–]shengy90[S] 20 points 7 months ago
We'd been in an LDR before getting married. So this living together thing is very very new. Still learning to make it work.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

I'm wondering if there's anyone who had the same problem and how you've dealt with it? Thanks in advance!

Jack Sprat could eat no fat
His wife could eat no lean
And so betwixt the two of them
They licked the platter clean

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Pathetic bitch boy

next time she calls him a pussy he should go down into a crab stance, let loose a manly bellow, and headbutt her in the rear end. That'll teach her.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

My ex-gf(25F) cheated on me(26M) with a student of mine(18M). After I broke up and asked my money back, she played the victim and turned my friends and family against me. How can I deal?

He's going to be pissed when he tries to "press charges" and they tell him she has every right to drain a joint account (which you shouldn't have before you're married, you dumbass professor)

Also, I think we had a derail a while back about whether it's sexual harassment to cuck your boss... or maybe that was the confession thread? Either way, it'd be interesting if there was some sort of university judicial action he could take. If the kid is in his class he could probably finangle some sort of sexual harassment angle to the deal.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Me [26 M] with my husband [24 M] married for 3 months, problem with each other's picky eating

And then, the lede:

The Core was a documentary about the mission to excavate this lede

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Me [29M] with my GF [28F] 4 years, during an argument threatened to wake up our guests so they could take sides. I left to stay in a motel. I feel horrible

quote:

On Friday night we hosted our two friends (who are a couple) for a bbq and beers. We went to sleep at 3am. My gf wanted to cuddle and rub up on me which i refused. I had just had a circumcision operation that monday and she was aware that erections, and even movement is very painful for me right now. We were both a little tipsy so her cuddles were to rough. I was laying on my side in the little spoon position and she in the big spoon. I kept knocking her hands away from me and telling her to stop but she wouldnt. Then the worst thing happened. While pushing her hands away from me with my one arm i pushed her off the bed! Its a tall bed and i felt horrible. I never intended that to happen. She jumped up and told me to get out of the room and sleep downstairs. I grabbed my pillow and blanket and headed for the door.

At this point she jumped infront of the door and refused to let me leave. I tried to push past her and she told me i just threw her off the bed. I realised that this was escalting way to fast and needed to stop. I moved back to the furthest wall from her and told her i didnt throw her, it was a push with one arm and i didnt mean for that to happen at all. She then accused me of being on drugs and asked if i literally took drugs. That is crazy, i was with everyone (4 people including me) eating bbq and drinking beer. I told her this is freaking me out and im not comfortable, i just want to go downstairs and sleep in the other room.

She then told me she was going to wake up our guests (4am) to tell them all this so they can join the argument. I told her this is getting way out of hand and i wanted to start recording this for my protection. She went into their room and i went downstairs into the other bedroom. She came down and pulled all my bedding of the bed and would not let me lay down telling me i was acting crazy. She told me she woke up our friends and they're coming down now.

At this point i threw on my shoes, went out the front door and stayed in a hotel. I texted her that she really scared me with that stuff last night and i dont feel safe around her. She knows i didnt throw her off the bed, i dont take drugs, and waking our guests up to join an arguement like that is way over the line.

I have to admit, im a big guy and i was worried if she woke our guests up like that ( that im acting crazy, on drugs and throwing her around) they may call the police.

I stayed in contact the next day re-iterating that i felt unsafe around her with claims like that and didnt come home until that evening. She of course stayed home and greeted our friends the next morning. Thats when i
found out she never woke them up and just said that to try and win the arguement. They spoke about last night with her and she told me that they suggested i may be autistic, or developmentally delayed in some way.

This is absurd. I feel so hurt and have some trust issues with her now.

We spoke that night and she told me none of this would have happened if i just let her cuddle me. I told her i understand how that could hurt, but she really put the fear in me with the escalation, manipulation, and threats. She refuses to see my point and thinks im exagurating what could have happened.

tl;dr: accedentally pushed my girlfriend off the bed refusing cuddles. She claims i threw her, was on drugs and had woken our friends up at 4am to join the arguement. I left and spent the night in a hotel.

I feel like I'm missing some background on why this whole thing went nuclear.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This one posted already?

quote:

Me [36 M] and my sister-in-law [36 F] have been married for a month now, but we havent yet been able to consummate our marriage?Relationships
submitted 4 hours ago by coolgorgy
I married my sister-in-law a month back post demise of our respective partners. However we have not yet been able to consummate our marriage. We both were well acquainted with one another (hadn't got physically involved) before we exchanged marital wows. Not sure if she's feeling shy to sleep with me when kids are around at home or is it because of her younger kid, 5 years old who find it a bit odd as they have moved in with me and is a bit worried to see his mom interact with me. Its however been quite unfortunate that it is taking so long
--- tl;dr: Any probable solutions will definitely be of help, not sure why aren't we able to break the ice post marriage.
25 commentsshare

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

This one posted already?

That is probably a Middle Eastern/African/ Muslim situation. If your brptjer dies in some cultures, you marry his wife so she doesn't starve.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

La Brea Carpet posted:

Me [29M] with my GF [28F] 4 years, during an argument threatened to wake up our guests so they could take sides. I left to stay in a motel. I feel horrible

I feel like I'm missing some background on why this whole thing went nuclear.

She was definitely on drugs. Wonder what drugs.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Is it the parent's [59 F] responsibility to stay in control when her ADULT daughter [22 F] is being disrespectful?Non-Romantic
(self.relationships)

quote:

Imagine this scenario: The daughter is frustrated with the mother's nagging, so she loses patience and snaps at her. She says something along the lines of "Stop asking me this question, I already told you I don't know", delivered in a tone that no one should speak their a parent in. Then the mother snaps, triggered by her daughter's bad attitude. She starts yelling uncontrollably, saying things like "You should go die. I wouldn't even cry if you died right now".

Just as a brief background, the two have a strained and complicated relationship. She is generally a good and obedient daughter but sometimes has an attitude problem when talking to her mother. To this day, the mother tries to micromanage both of her kids' lives (examples are sorting through their backpacks or purses, having a joint bank account so she can monitor their spending habits, etc)

Does there come a point where the parent is no longer responsible for being "the bigger person"? If their kid is being disrespectful at 22 years, is it fine for the parent to abandon all protocol and instead of trying to discipline their kid the "right way", just yell without reserve and unleash all of the angry emotions?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

maskenfreiheit posted:

Is it the parent's [59 F] responsibility to stay in control when her ADULT daughter [22 F] is being disrespectful?Non-Romantic
(self.relationships)

Dying to know which one wrote the post.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

therobit posted:

That is probably a Middle Eastern/African/ Muslim situation. If your brptjer dies in some cultures, you marry his wife so she doesn't starve.

Holy gently caress, I hope my brother doesn't die. Mostly because his wife's a troll.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haifisch posted:

I'm holding out for the long odds on 'spineless worm dad caught trying to fade into the wallpaper and forced to take a side'

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

Haifisch posted:

I think it might be the Dad. The post keeps trying to both exonerate and condemn the pair of them. The mother sounds like a loving nightmare though, but the poster still thinks it's the daughter's fault.

Dad spineless, so what.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

I think it might be the Dad. The post keeps trying to both exonerate and condemn the pair of them. The mother sounds like a loving nightmare though, but the poster still thinks it's the daughter's fault.

Dad spineless, so what.

it was actually the daughter

also just found this gem:

Why has this guy blocked me?! I am stunned!

quote:

Hi... first reddit post, I just have to get this off my chest and get an outsider perspective, so here goes!

So, I recently started dating a guy. I met him through my work friends. I am 25, he is 35 - so a good healthy age gap. He seemed great. Really mature, intelligent, good looking, smooth. We went on about 8 dates over a period of about 6 weeks. There was never any of that awkward dating crap - we had such a laugh every time. When we weren't actually in each others company, we texted a good amount - not necessarily every day, but he's a successful and busy guy so I didn't expect that. When he did text me, the texts were long, eloquent and thoughtful.

So far so good, right?

Anyway, nothing sexual had ever happened on any of these dates. After the 7th date/6 weeks mark, I felt it was clear that he liked me enough to level it up!

So he came back to my house. We didn't have sex, but we did a little more than kissing this time. He left that evening, and text me when he got home - STILL so far so good, then.

Anyway, I see him the next day at a friends party. We were keeping it on the lowdown. He walked me home at the end of the night and we kissed. He wanted to come up to my apartment again, presumably to go all out this time - but I said no. He seemed fine with this and left.

I didn't hear from him for a few days - fine by me, he's a busy guy as am I. But by the 4th day I felt it was quite apparent that he wasn't interested. So, I send him a message just saying "A little disappointing that I haven't heard from you" - the message goes undelivered, the "arrow" button on iphone goes green - he's blocked my number!

... I am baffled!

If he didn't like me, or if there was an issue, surely at 35 years of age he should be mature enough to just let me know?! If he had text me to say he didn't fancy dating anymore, I would have been a little let down but of course I would have accepted it... but this?! It feels so demoralizing.

I just don't understand it. I have blocked people in the past when they have been harassing me - I have more than played it cool with this guy, only really texting him when he texts me - so blocking seems excessive to say the least.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that his ego was somehow bruised when I rejected him for sex - but even that seems far fetched!

I feel so embarrassed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My [19 F] boyfriend [19 M] of 2 years is a terribly picky eater

quote:

This is my first ever post (just made an account) so I apologize if I'm a little slow. My boyfriend is on reddit, but he said it was okay for me to post this, and I'll refer to him as Will.

First a little background about me: I am a pretty athletic person. I love soccer and up until a year ago, played competitively for as long as I can remember. I like exercising and I think it plays an important role in having a healthy and balanced life. I have also been a vegetarian for about 8 years because I love animals. I love tofu and trying new veggie dishes is great. My boyfriend is also a vegetarian for ethical reasons, but the main difference is I enjoy fruits, vegetables, tofu, etc. and he will not eat those foods.

That being said, this creates a bit of a rift between my boyfriend and I. He is my best friend and we get along swimmingly. He is an amazing person, funny, smart, so so caring and loving, but he has the diet of 6-year-old. I think this is the best way to put it: You know how when you're little you don't want to eat the broccoli/asparagus/brussel sprouts that your parents told you have to eat, and then you grow up and begin to enjoy those foods? I guess his parents never made him eat those foods.

Will's diet consists almost entirely of bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and pizza. He will eat lentil and tomato soup but only if it is completely smooth-no chunks. He will eat almonds, maybe cashews but not often. He eats a lot of junk food. He does not eat any fruits, vegetables, or basically anything that has not been processed. He doesn't like to make a fuss about it, if you ask him if he wants to try something, he will say, "No thanks" or "That's not for me."

I just don't understand it. Will obviously doesn't get all the nutrition he needs, which could cause serious health problems down the road. He's admitted it's irrational, he says it's got to do with the texture of food. I think it might be a psychological thing. I have expressed concern over this for about 3 years now and nothing has changed. I feel like I've tried everything. At first, I got him to try little bits (not even a half bite) of things, but sometimes he refused. I asked him to see a nutritionist or therapist (that never happened) but I'm not sure where even to get help for this. I don't know how to relate. I'm pretty strong-willed and determined. I identify a problem and tackle it head on. I ask for help if I need it.

Currently Will and I are in college and thus doing long-distance so I don't have to deal with it constantly. But when I think about the future, I see his eating habits as a incompatibility if our relationship were to progress to the point of living together. I told Will this last year before the first semester of college. I told him his diet and refusal to eat anything else will be a deal-breaker if it gets to the point where it affects my life too much (currently it does not). I love him and can see myself with him for a long time, but I do plan to follow through on that if I have to. But I also want to help him in any way I can, but I don't know how one goes about solving this sort of diet issue.

EDIT because I didn't think to add this: He has expressed many times he wants to expand but doesn't know how or gets afraid when it comes down to it. So it's not as much me wanting he to change him. He wants to change, but neither of us have any idea of the best method (from a psychological or nutrition standpoint) to go about it.
I will definitely look into online resources and information. This was probably not the right place to look lol but I wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with this. Thank you!

TL;DR My boyfriend will not eat anything that is not processed, it bothers me personally and is incompatible with my lifestyle. Don't know what to do or where to seek help from. Thank you!

One reason I read the comments is the slapfights when they defend childish behaviors:

quote:

[–]wombatzilla 1 point 2 years ago
How would you feel if he told you you needed to stop being a vegetarian?

There are plenty of things I don't want to eat (not even a bite of) like smoked mussels and oysters, olives, and my husband eats ALL of that. If he tried to get me to eat just a bite of any of those things I would say no.

It also bothers me about how it reflects on his character and problem-solving abilities.

This is loving ridiculous. What does it say about your character that you want to force him to change how he eats and this is somehow a "problem" that he's supposed to solve? The only person who has a problem with this is you.

And it's weird because I totally get wanting him to be healthy and wanting him to eat more vegetables, but have you actually sat and tried to figure out any vegetarian dishes he might actually like or are you basically just like a mommy saying "I don't care if you don't like it, you have to eat it."

The only way to get people to eat vegetables is to make vegetable dishes they'll actually enjoy, and it sounds to me like you haven't really tried to incorporate any vegetables in a way he might actually want to eat them. If he'll eat lentil and tomato soup when it's completely smooth then just try blending vegetables in a food processor to make dishes he might eat. You could make healthy pasta sauce for him or try to incorporate more vegetables into sandwiches or on pizza for him.

Have you even tried any of that or do you just make dishes YOU like and expect him to eat them?

[–][deleted] 6 points 2 years ago
You have no loving clue what you are talking about. You can't try to live your life around what a picky eater will have or you will drive yourself insane. Have you ever had to deal with it?

I have tried so many things. So loving many things. Eventually you reach a point where you are too emotionally drained from the complaining and rejection to keep on trying. My SO likes peanut butter, noodles, and tolerates chicken. I try making peanut noodles with chicken with all his favorite spices in them. He takes one look, and just walks out the door and gets a pizza from little cesars. You can only try to cater to someone's insane eating for so long. He ate quinoa at a friend's house because he thought it was rice. I make quinoa instead of rice one night and he won't touch it. It is impossible to live with someone that rejects all your efforts without eventually starting to think that they are a whiny little bitch. That doesn't help either, so until the boyfriend decides he wants to try things it might be best to not waste your time.

Telling someone to go to extreme lengths to cater to his eating will only damage their relationship. I have reached the point where I eat what I want, he eats what he wants, and he knows I will leave as soon as I start seeing the negative impacts of his diet. I have found lots of treatment options that he refuses to try. Doesn't want to take time off work for in-patient. Doesn't want to have to commit to after work meetings for out patient. Hopefully OP's boyfriend is different, but none of the adult picky eaters I have known have agreed to treatment, even when they knew that they were about to ruin their lives by refusing treatment.

[–]nicqui 3 points 2 years ago
Who cares, just let him make his own food. These people are adults, and so long as their body is healthy it's really NOT their partner's business what they prefer to eat.
My husband doesn't like vegetables. That's fine, he cooks all his own food and he'll serve vegetables for me if I ask. He takes a multivitamin and works out 5 days a week, what do I care.

quote:

I think that the fact that you were embarrassed because he was a picky eater is more indicative of immaturity than the picky eating.

I am very picky. I do not like to try new foods. And sure, it may stem from anxiety issues, but it does not negatively affect my life. I'm perfectly happy with what I eat. It is other people who take issue. It's actually quite annoying when people are appalled because I don't eat sea food or because I don't like cheesecake. I don't stop anyone from enjoying whatever they want to eat. If my friends want to go to a restaurant that I don't like, I don't have to go.

What is annoying is how judgmental people are. Just because I am a picky eater does not make me a bad person. It does not make me somehow inferior. I just happen to have a limited number of things I like to eat. I'm not missing out.

quote:

[–]hucklebug 0 points 2 years ago
it would be a deal breaker for me too. but it's interesting how many self professed 'picky eaters' always flock to these threads to defend this behavior.

[–]Fastsportcars 1 point 2 years ago
Because it's not being "picky", it's an actual disorder. Imagine seeing something in front of you that you want to eat, that you know you should eat but instead you feel like throwing up at the mere thought of putting it into your mouth. It's very hard to control and to deal with.
"I can't eat broccoli, it's a disorder, you just don't understand. And no I can't get treatment for it, that would just be silly."

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

it was actually the daughter

also just found this gem:

Why has this guy blocked me?! I am stunned!

I am 25, he is 35 - so a good healthy age gap.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Me [28 M] with my best friend [22 M] 2 years, shared my relationship advice directly with his [22 F], she reacted badly

quote:

My closest friend has been dating this girl at least 10 months now. In the last month or so, hes been coming to me for advice on how to handle conflicts in the relationship. A lot of it is due to differences in their personalities(opposites sure do attract) and attachment style, but one of them as a lack of physical intimacy. He feels that she isn't as in to him. He wants sex but she has stated she has no interest in it.

The advice I gave him is to either try and talk and work it out, settle for a sexless relationship or move on. I added that most women in their young 20s are interested in sex and that he is not wrong for wanting a relationship that includes sex. I told him this via text when he was asking for my advice again on how to not feel so insecure and get his emotional needs met in his relationship.

The following day, we were scheduled to meet up for brunch as we always do. I text him before to ask how thing were going(he was in a lot of distress, which is why he even asked me for advice). I don't get a response until an hour later. He told me I was out of bounds, I had no right to talk about his sex life or what he needs, and that his girlfriend agrees that I was out of line. The last part really blew my mind. I asked him "you shared my advice that I told you in the past is between you and me to her", he confirmed that he let her read the text messages. He now refuses to talk to me.

Am I wrong to think it was completely idiotic for him to share the original advice, directly with his girlfriend? I feel very betrayed that he would do this. I suspect that she got angry with him and in his scramble to save the relationship, put it on me. I am at a loss here because now I don't feel like I trust him. Not only with advice, but to have sound judgement and to be a loyal friend

TL;DR: Bestfriend asked for relationship advice, showed the advice directly to gf and is now angry at me for saving the advice after she nearly broke up with him over the advice.

start formulating an incredibly sick burn of "told ya so" when your friend shows up in a few years to apologize with a shellshocked look in his eyes lol

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

God dammit just eat the loving broccoli.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Me [28 M] with my best friend [22 M] 2 years, shared my relationship advice directly with his [22 F], she reacted badly

start formulating an incredibly sick burn of "told ya so" when your friend shows up in a few years to apologize with a shellshocked look in his eyes lol

When i read the title I thought it would be like he gave advice on their relationship directly to the girlfriend and it caused her to break up with the friend, but this is just baffling.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

She was definitely on drugs. Wonder what drugs.
It just sounds like booze to me, speaking as someone who also liked to pick really stupid, histrionic wee-hours fights before I got sober. This is a classic mean-drunk lady thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

God dammit just eat the loving broccoli.
Just think, every time a parent lets little timmy get away with not eating his lima beans & gives him chicken tendies instead, another one of these fuckers is born.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

Just think, every time a parent lets little timmy get away with not eating his lima beans & gives him chicken tendies instead, another one of these fuckers is born.

Isn't the reverse of this true as well? like when parents are so overzealous about forcing their kids to eat their bland steamed veggies they end up never eating them again when given the option.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

spite house posted:

It just sounds like booze to me, speaking as someone who also liked to pick really stupid, histrionic wee-hours fights before I got sober. This is a classic mean-drunk lady thing.

Possibly. Also possibly she is a garbage person:

quote:

She tells lies constantly. The entire relationship. I have recorded a conversation a few months ago where the things she was saying were very hurtful, completly untrue and i knew she would deny it the next day. When i told her i recorded that fight and asked she still felt the same way she retracted everything and was now pissed i had recorded it.

quote:

We own a house, a business, and recently started another business together. I thought the lies were small and something a lot of people do in arguements, and that we would work on it. Friday night was the first time i felt afraid of the situation.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

La Brea Carpet posted:

Possibly. Also possibly she is a garbage person:
The conditions are certainly not mutually exclusive. That guy needs to lawyer up yesterday.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I have to record my girlfriend in arguments because she says things so off the wall, hurtful, and potentially damaging/dangerous, and then lies about having said them the next day. How do we move forward reddit?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unless I missed it it doesnt sound like he ever talked in person, just text, so uh, I think the girlfriend took the phone and the friend is probably dead.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

Isn't the reverse of this true as well? like when parents are so overzealous about forcing their kids to eat their bland steamed veggies they end up never eating them again when given the option.

Yeah or even if it's well cooked but the parents have such a meltdown about the fact that the kids aren't immediately thrilled about the green beans that they develop a complex.

Still no excuse for thinking that 40 chicken tendies and a multivitamin is healthy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My coworker (35?M) constantly berates me for my diet (24F). I'm embarrassed and even more fed up.

quote:

My coworker, I'll call him Phil, constantly makes comments about what I eat and drink.

I should start by saying I have a weird diet. I am a super picky eater (I eat maybe five foods on a regular basis), eat like a bird, and a lot of the food I eat probably looks unhealthy to an outsider (think a lot of carbs). That being said, at 5'6", I'm 130 lbs so I guess I'm not doing too horribly.

I also drink a lot of diet soda. I know, it's awful for me, aspartame, all the health problems, yadda yadda.

Phil, though, every time I get a diet soda (typically just two a day, not like ten) will turn around in his chair and tell me how much I need to drink water. He tells me how bad soda is for me. He says I need to quit drinking it as much and he only drinks it once a week.

Yesterday, though, I reached my boiling point. I started eating and Phil started ranting about how unhealthy I am and he only sees me eating lovely foods. He then turned to someone else and said "I just care about her health! I don't want her to die young or get diseases! She is not healthy!" It was humiliating. Today I hardly ate at work, because he embarrassed me so much on Monday and he commented on the fact that I wasn't eating. I told him to leave it alone but he kept saying "no, what have you eaten today?!"

Every time Phil comments on my food and drink choice, I say I don't care or just roll my eyes. Lately I say stop. But he doesn't stop. It's gotten to the point where I'm scared to eat or drink in front of Phil.

What can I do to make him stop? Am I overreacting like crazy?

TL;DR: coworker comments constantly on my food and drink choices, telling everyone how I am so unhealthy and could get diseases later in life. It's humiliating and has led me to just not eat at work

OP posted:

I also forgot to mention an important point: Phil is a smoker. Probably a pack a day. But do I comment on his smoking? Never

quote:

[–]drinkthebleach 151 points 9 months ago
I have the same thing at work. I started telling people that I can eat whatever I want because I have nothing left to live for and they've left me alone.

[–]doyoulikeguacamole_ 23 points 9 months ago
This is one of my favorite comments I've read in this sub. Might have to try this one out.

[–]drinkthebleach 9 points 9 months ago
Don't do it in a professional setting because now my boss knows how depressing my life is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

spite house posted:

I took the drug accusation to be a pretty damning indictment of her own use