Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

I like it. But what if we made a laser that shoots suns?

I think this is almost literally the overarching plot of Farscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

Killstar Deathbase

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Solar Envoy from R-Type Tactics 2:Operation Bitter Chocolate .

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hodgepodge posted:

Starmaker Base.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing that gets me about Jurassic World more than the rest is that the bad guy's plot is to use raptors in the army. The central objection sort of just seems to be "oh no not my raptors! the perfect weapon!" instead of anything else. But who would even give a poo poo about doing that any more than about using a horse or a dog or a falcon or literally any other animal we've used in the last thousand years? And it's not like a dude with an AK or something isn't going to win against the raptor.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 19, 2017

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Solar Envoy from R-Type Tactics 2:Operation Bitter Chocolate .

Was that in the first R-Type Tactics?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The thing that gets me about Jurassic World more than the rest is that the bad guy's plot is to use raptors in the army. The central objection sort of just seems to be "oh no not my raptors! the perfect weapon!" instead of anything else. But who would even give a poo poo about doing that any more than about using a horse or a dog or a falcon or literally any other animal we've used in the last thousand years? And it's not like a dude with an AK or something isn't going to win against the raptor.

maybe our objection to fictional dinosaurs being exploited by humanity should cause us to rethink whether we should object to real animals being exploited by humanity

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brother Entropy posted:

maybe our objection to fictional dinosaurs being exploited by humanity should cause us to rethink whether we should object to real animals being exploited by humanity

Yeah no poo poo, but at the same time it's not arguing against exploiting fictional dinosaurs so much as it is solely about using them as weapons of war. As far as the film's concerned it's perfectly okay to use them for anything else and works out pretty great until you do try and make dinosoldiers.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Brother Entropy posted:

I bet you're fun a barbecues, Mister Tofuburger.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

The MSJ posted:

I think this is almost literally the overarching plot of Farscape.

I thought it made wormholes and that pissed off the Prophets from DS:9?

RBA Starblade posted:

This plan is clearly flawed unless the dinosaurs are armed with lasers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
AP reports that Carrie Fisher had cocaine, heroin, and ecstasy in her system when she got ill on her flight. :stare:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

AP reports that Carrie Fisher had cocaine, heroin, and ecstasy in her system when she got ill on her flight. :stare:

I wonder if the pressure to lose weight for the new movies caused a relapse.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

I bet you're fun a barbecues, Mister Tofuburger.

well i'm probably not fun at barbecues but i eat meat so that wouldn't be the reason why

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

And she still died???

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

Can't wait to find out how housewife/single mother Naomi Watts gets her hands on a silenced sniper rifle.

The rifle is over the counter, no problem there. The silencer/suppressor is a bit more involved if you get it legally, usually takes a few months to get your tax stamp, but otherwise it's not difficult.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

Those aren't the drugs actors are given to lose weight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The rifle is over the counter, no problem there. The silencer/suppressor is a bit more involved if you get it legally, usually takes a few months to get your tax stamp, but otherwise it's not difficult.

The kid planned ahead, this all checks out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Corrosion posted:

Was that in the first R-Type Tactics?

Nope, 2 only.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Those aren't the drugs actors are given to lose weight.

Not that she would have taken them to lose weight, but that she is an addict who of course would be more likely to relapse during times of stress.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

I thought it made wormholes and that pissed off the Prophets from DS:9?

The wormholes then shoot miniature stars at ships. Or a one that threatens to swallow everything like in the finale.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I thought this had already started filming? But I guess not? Anyway, well, oh dear.

https://twitter.com/borys_kit/status/877307067148582913

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope they return to The Flash.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Barry Convex posted:

I thought this had already started filming? But I guess not? Anyway, well, oh dear.

Annnnd there goes 90% of my interest in the movie

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Barry Convex posted:

If you read the entire article, it mentioned they have been filming since January. So yes, they had started filming, and for quite some time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Joss is set to take over.:laugh:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I hope they get Colin Trevorrow to direct it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Joss is set to take over.:laugh:

Nah, Joss Whedon have Batman and Superman and Batgirl and her feet to play with.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Nah, Joss Whedon have Batman and Superman and Batgirl and her feet to play with.
:thejoke:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
"Unfortunately, we didn't want to do a Find/Replace All on the Disney Movie Script Template and change Elsa to Chewie, Sven to Lando, and Anna to Han."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

There isn't a doubt in my mind that the stresses of the new Star Wars shoot aided in her relapse and ultimately killed her.

And goons still think her prozac pill urn was funny. poo poo's incredibly hosed up and borderline enabling.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RIP any chance of the Han movie being good and not completely gutted in the edit

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you read the entire article, it mentioned they have been filming since January. So yes, they had started filming, and for quite some time.

And apparently had only a few weeks of shooting left. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this isn't good.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
What the hell? How you can you be this far along in the process and realize it's that bad?

Were they going way more slapstick with it than was apparent initially? Kasdan wrote the script, how did they crap the bed?

Teek fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 21, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Replacing a director is one thing, but this late in production? Something's gotten really off.

Like at this stage there are union considerations, the project's going to smell a little fishy to whomever you want in charge (and nobody wants to be the bad guy.)

There's a whole point in Final Cut, the book on the making of Heaven's Gate, where the film's deep into the slog of production and UA is seriously considering firing Cimino. Bach talks with another director, never named but it's implied to be David Lean. And Lean's like- very diplomatically, I should add- "Oh Hell no I'm not stepping in on this, and good luck finding anyone who will."

So either this shoot is somehow going worse than Heaven's Gate or there's REALLY a big creative blowup here.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Hopefully Disney has creative differences with Colin Treverrow.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proposition Joe posted:

Hopefully Disney has creative differences with Colin Treverrow.

Can't wait for Colin's What's James Earl Jones doing in this voiceover booth tweet

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Weird people are assuming the shoot was going badly rather than it was good but wasn't the super formulaic Disneyfied thing they want. Are we not used to producers being the worst by now

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Well then.

Seriously, it's genuinely unprecedented in recent history for a director to publicly exit a blockbuster film *during* production - it's obviously happened a number of times during pre-production, but once the camera starts rolling, even on extremely troubled films (i.e. Trank's Fantastic Four), everyone involved normally takes pains to maintain the image of a smooth production (at least when on the record). This is batshit crazy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Weird people are assuming the shoot was going badly rather than it was good but wasn't the super formulaic Disneyfied thing they want. Are we not used to producers being the worst by now

Because that would more likely have come up in the writing and preproduction phase, as it did for Ant Man. Or, worst case scenario, make like Suicide Squad where there are reshoots and a poo poo ton of re-edits but the director still keeps their name on and you don't incur a lot of problems with DGA.

This is something that hasn't been done on a major A-budget studio film in a while. And usually when it's done it's not just creative differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I know that Lord & Miller being removed is vastly different - and far more extreme - but I'm reminded of the massive amounts of reshoots that Rogue One went through before its release. I mean, we still haven't seen everything that was cut or excised from that movie. And even though I didn't enjoy Rogue One as much as others seemed to, it was still a coherent film after being squeezed through the meat grinder.

Still. Pretty bonkers. I can't imagine Lord & Miller will pull a Josh Trank and start burning bridges (they're too smart for that), but if this is a worst case scenario kind of thing, it will be morbidly fascinating to see it play out.

• Locked thread