Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The gene therapy was to reduce physical disabilities like early warning signs of cancers or eliminating poor eyesight, not to reduce the gays. It is a big deal that Joker still has space osteoporosis because of how rare it is for humans to be born with genetic defects anymore.

And he points out that it's thanks to genetic modification that he can move around at all. He notes that if he'd been born a century or two earlier, he'd almost certainly have died as an infant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I realized that Horizon Zero Dawn is actually hard sci fi with no magic included so that's one more game to play for the guy who asked about that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Probably should have checked it out before I bought it, but if I was able to run Andromeda, I should be able to run Witcher 3 right?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Then there's the in-vitro gene therapy to eliminate certain traits in ME1... when it's dropped, gay people start showing up. Asari don't count, remember.

there was a kaidan gay romance in me1 that meer and sbarge recorded lines for that you can console enable easily though it's missing some some dialogue flags without tweaking, it was removed later in development because it was deemed too controversial for 2007

and they were right, the safer asari 'lesbian' romance was enough to make waves back then

e: see below

hard counter fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 21, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hard counter posted:

there was a kaidan gay romance in me1 that meer and sbarge recorded lines for that you can console enable easily though it's missing some some dialogue flags without tweaking, it was removed later in development because it was deemed too controversial for 2007

and they were right, the safer asari 'lesbian' romance was enough to make waves back then

How many times I gotta say that the Kaidan and Ashley romances for the same gendered Shep were, according to every inside source I could find, a product of weird dialog flagging that required both actors read for everything in ME1?

Because that's the reason, best as I can tell.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Was there actually a whole new romance? I thought it was just that they had both Shepards record everything including the gender specific dialogue

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Digirat posted:

this is unfortunately true. Prey's sound design feels extremely amateurish and it really gets in the way of the game's atmosphere when a loudspeaker voice is blaring at twice the volume of my shotgun, when I have voices at 1/5 the volume of sfx in the options.

Am I supposed to be able to hear what phantoms are saying or..?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The actors just read for all the lines, I don't know if same-sex romances with the human crewmates were ever seriously considered for ME1.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
There wasn't any animation for the sex scene between male Shepard and Kaidan in Mass Effect 1. Male Shepard would transform into the default female Shepard for that cutscene.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

How many times I gotta say that the Kaidan and Ashley romances for the same gendered Shep were, according to every inside source I could find, a product of weird dialog flagging that required both actors read for everything in ME1?

as long as i didn't read bad information back in the day, it's my understanding that the kaidan romance was going to be legit but the ashley romance dialogue was just a work around because they had some kind of programming issues with exclusive dialogue triggers

this came up back when me3 was released, when kaidan was unexpectedly a new romance option for a male shepard - i mean it's possible people lied about how long bi kaidan was in the works so as to not seem like retcons were happening but that's the information that was going around back then

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hard counter posted:

as long as i didn't read bad information back in the day, it's my understanding that the kaidan romance was going to be legit but the ashley romance dialogue was just a work around because they had some kind of programming issues with exclusive dialogue triggers

this came up back when me3 was released, when kaidan was unexpectedly a new romance option for a male shepard - i mean it's possible people lied about how long bi kaidan was in the works so as to not seem like retcons were happening but that's the information that was going around back then

I've also heard it was partially so a gay male Shep could have a love interest that would go into the field with them - that was part of Bioware's explanation for making Jaal bi in a patch.

Not that I personally count Liara as a romance option for a gay FemShep, but it seems to be something Bioware tries to do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

fruit on the bottom posted:

Probably should have checked it out before I bought it, but if I was able to run Andromeda, I should be able to run Witcher 3 right?

Everyone looked like a clay potato when I tried the Andromeda trial on my computer and I can run Witcher 3 with several settings on high if I keep the resolution at 750.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fruit on the bottom posted:

Witcher 3 is a very well optimized game. It should run fine.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I've also heard it was partially so a gay male Shep could have a love interest that would go into the field with them - that was part of Bioware's explanation for making Jaal bi in a patch.

well i'll certainly not go around spreading misinformation either way if it's not definite, if it was just a silly rumor floating around 5 years ago

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

Am I supposed to be able to hear what phantoms are saying or..?

Apparently they are actual lines which you will see if you have all subtitles on. But I didn't have that on so I never knew what they were saying.

It's probably better that way, since they apparently only have something like 4 lines.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You can make out what some of them say. Sometimes quite clearly. I don't know what determines how garbled their speech is. Maybe distance.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Dr. Abysmal posted:

There wasn't any animation for the sex scene between male Shepard and Kaidan in Mass Effect 1. Male Shepard would transform into the default female Shepard for that cutscene.

a thousnd fanfiction s were born

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Digirat posted:

Apparently they are actual lines which you will see if you have all subtitles on. But I didn't have that on so I never knew what they were saying.

It's probably better that way, since they apparently only have something like 4 lines.

I remember there was some in-game explanation for it (phantoms try to psychically mimic the speech of their host after but can't actually speak or something like that) but I spent an inordinate amount of time thinking the words were just mixed too low with their stomping and idling noises. The noises and the lines are pretty creepy for the first few encounters but eventually it's just noise.

im cute fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 21, 2017

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

also lol that there is more backstory for this enemy grunt in a one-off system shock-like game than there is for the central antagonist in a planned trilogy of giant sci-fi masterpieces.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was really weird that after you finish the story there's a terminal that goes "turns out the Archon's Remnant forces were just malfunctioning garbage bots, also his Architect was broken and he didn't actually turn anything on, it was just an automatic function." Seemed like a bizarre way to undercut the final boss fight of your game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

chiasaur11 posted:

It's an uncomfortable subject, I understand. Bioware sure as hell isn't going to revisit it now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What the hell do your squadmates actually do on Insanity, because they sure as hell don't kill anything?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eat dirt and die?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

marshmallow creep posted:

Everyone looked like a clay potato when I tried the Andromeda trial on my computer and I can run Witcher 3 with several settings on high if I keep the resolution at 750.

That's just how Andromeda looks but very encouraging.

Ok, done with Witcher chat for real this time

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Soonmot posted:

What the hell do your squadmates actually do on Insanity, because they sure as hell don't kill anything?

team passives bots

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Cythereal posted:

after looking into things this seems to be at least partially true, hudson's (meandering, oblique) answer in a 5 year old interview when asked this question just said he felt like there needed to be more options so that the player feels more like they are participating in a story rather than having a story dictated to them like in a book or movie when it comes to same-sex romances in video games and that it was a decision that was weighed against just letting shepard romance everything since that might make other characters feel less like defined personalities despite the importance of inclusiveness to bioware; on a tangent he also said romances add an extra layer to gameplay in the sense that when you're equipping a friendly npc for the field you also might be equipping your character's ~*true love*~ and thus make different choices, this altered meaning makes for interesting storytelling even when you're fooling around in your inventory

the rumor that kaidan was originally bi does actually have some teeth at least, meer's been quoted as saying that was always their intent starting right from me1... but the thing is he's not really much of an insider since i'm sure he just reads the lines they tell him to whereas in 2010 muzyka said there were no gay romances in me2, even though da:o had them, because that's not the way the character of shepard was envisioned (back then) since shepard was much more a fixed personality than an open-ended PC like the ones in da:o, conversely in 2010 hudson said they didn't finalize bi romances in me2 because they didn't just want to just recycle the same scenes for male and female shepards - interestingly, tali and thane both have mostly complete but unused dialogues for bi romances in me2 whereas jack and miranda have a smaller set of unused dialogues that implied they used to be bi options at some point

so pretty much

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's an uncomfortable subject, I understand. Bioware sure as hell isn't going to revisit it now.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 21, 2017

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
This game sucked rear end

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Male Ryder transitions into "only balls" Ryder in the most recent one

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Palpek posted:

I realized that Horizon Zero Dawn is actually hard sci fi with no magic included so that's one more game to play for the guy who asked about that.

lmao, there's plenty of "magic" in that game it's just BSed with technology explanations

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

hard counter posted:

in 2010 hudson said they didn't finalize bi romances in me2 because they didn't just want to just recycle the same scenes for male and female shepards
This bit is really funny when you look at how Peebee's sex scene turned out in MEA.

quote:

Bioware guy 1: Alright, we've crafted a lovely scene of Peebee riding Ryder's dick ballsack. Let's do the female version next.

Bioware guy 2: Nah, just swap the character model out. :effort:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

pretty much

if hudson was being honest i'm sure they were :smith: about not finishing all romances in time back in me2 but in me:a they were :unsmith: about just finishing a romance in time

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Just like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know I'm pretty sure the mission briefings for Brigador have more quality plot than all of Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

also lol that there is more backstory for this enemy grunt in a one-off system shock-like game than there is for the central antagonist in a planned trilogy of giant sci-fi masterpieces.

Also more sympathetic. I actually felt bad when I stumbled across a named Phantom. Because you'll probably be reading their emaila soon about missing parties and gossip.

Even after the big reveal for kett I felt nothing at all mowing them down by the dozens.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thundercracker posted:

Also more sympathetic. I actually felt bad when I stumbled across a named Phantom. Because you'll probably be reading their emaila soon about missing parties and gossip.

Even after the big reveal for kett I felt nothing at all mowing them down by the dozens.

I like the one log on the Kett ship where the Archon's like "hey these asari are basically us but calling it embracing eternity is stupid as hell"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Skellybones posted:

Just like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park!

Life ah finds a way

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the one log on the Kett ship where the Archon's like "hey these asari are basically us but calling it embracing eternity is stupid as hell"

You find their notes on all the Milky Way races. They're downright impressed by the genophage.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

Feeling legitimately bad when mind-controlled humans blow themselves up on you to the point I reloaded a few times in Crew Quarters so I could safely knock them all out even though it is totally unnecessary and even dangerous. Also reading the crew manifest and seeing all those LIFE SIGNS NORMAL readings in crew quarters and thinking with relief and elation that you'll FINALLY find some friendly NPCs but they all end up as suicide bombers and you feel real dread and regret.

VS

Jaal cries over some random rear end in a top hat being turned into a Kett and I sort of just assumed they knew that was happening all along or at least could have guessed when the Kett kept mysteriously growing their ranks while their prisoners are never seen or heard from again, but I guess I'm the idiot for overestimating Angaran (and BioWare's) intelligence after they've been fighting these dudes for decades, but also who cares lmao

im cute fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The Angara are like the number one symptom of lovely MEA writing in that you have to play the heroic good adventureres

The milky way races all have some vicious conflicts, but really didn't reflect on humanity so its fine.

Whereas Bioware for some reason wanted a race that was established, but not too established. Needed humanity so it didn't look like we were just rolling in and invading. And was emotional "wise" to give them a veneer of a culture.

They really should've gone full Christopher Columbus with Ryder. Paragon Ryder would be the Columbus they teach in grade school. Renegade Ryder would've been the Columbus that got sanctioned by Spain for brutality against the indigenous Americans. I mean, a toned down version obviously. Ryder isn't going to have a cutscene where she's using Angoran children as dog food.

A story where you had to weigh survival against invasion and colonialism would've been way more interesting than a story that has to tie itself into knots to make you the good guy.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 21, 2017