Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Or for that matter why there's only one Media or Technology instead of Radio, Television, Magazines, PCs, Macs, Automobiles, etc. I'm sure some of it is simplifying things for TV runtime but still, the rules seem a little arbitrary even by these ephemeral metaphysical standards.

The "New Gods" aren't just a huge pantheon of deities piddling over minor domains, they represent greater concepts of mass media and the modern state that are collectively powerful enough to be divine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It kind of fits. The ancient gods actually were people. They were powerful, sure, but they lived down with mortals sometimes. Modern gods are personification of concepts and thus don't have any experience interacting directly with people.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It kind of fits. The ancient gods actually were people. They were powerful, sure, but they lived down with mortals sometimes. Modern gods are personification of concepts and thus don't have any experience interacting directly with people.

It's probably why the old gods at least seem to be somewhat in touch with fundamental human needs, while the new gods include weirdos like a forum troll.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I want to see the gods based off sports teams

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a dude born in Texas lemme assure you that Tom Landry is roughly on Odin's power level.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
^I'm in Baltimore, a good chunk of the population here wears purple every Friday during football season, and we have a giant statue of Ray Lewis screaming to the heavens downtown. He's probably at least a demi god

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The relative success of cities' sports teams are used as a metric for those "Most Miserable Cities" lists (among other things, of course), sports gods could be really interesting with that taken into account.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 21, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Would the collective fears of american kids (and those adults who still get antsy when they're alone in the dark sometimes) cause the boogeyman to actually exist?

He'd be like It/Pennywise, shapeshifting through the years to match what kids are afraid of. A demon in the 1700s, Creature from the Black Lagoon in the 50s, Jason in the 80s, etc.

Slenderman in season 2. Show opens with two teenage girls trying to kill a third in his name.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Packer god is just a blob of sentient cholesterol

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Has to be Patrick Warburton.

Its a reference to some book poo poo that would muddy the poo poo out of thread speculation about how belief works for the gods.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a dude born in Texas lemme assure you that Tom Landry is roughly on Odin's power level.

hank hill is both a minor god in his own right and Tom Landry's man.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
this show was way bad except for individual acting being good for wednesday, czernobog, nancy, and jacquel. everything else was bad and dumb and unnecessary changes from the source material that made the show a lot less interesting than it could have been.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Crow Jane posted:

^I'm in Baltimore, a good chunk of the population here wears purple every Friday during football season, and we have a giant statue of Ray Lewis screaming to the heavens downtown. He's probably at least a demi god

The relative success of cities' sports teams are used as a metric for those "Most Miserable Cities" lists (among other things, of course), sports gods could be really interesting with that taken into account.

Along these lines, do you have any real idea how much football fans in NE Ohio despise Baltimore for their stolen team? I can go on at length if necessary, to my shame.

And yet, the ragged old Brownie god trudges ever on, unable to be slain even by the likes of the vile Art Modell.

:D

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would like to see the powerful god Ron Mexico

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Maybe it's just that I read the book, but it never even really registered for me that Wednesday's god-identity was at all supposed to be secret. I mean isn't it common knowledge that Wednesday is named after [W]Odin?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Which means that Landry and Odin pale in comparison to Art Rooney and Chuck Noll.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Entropic posted:

Maybe it's just that I read the book, but it never even really registered for me that Wednesday's god-identity was at all supposed to be secret. I mean isn't it common knowledge that Wednesday is named after [W]Odin?

It's not exactly common knowledge, but the book didn't hide it either. If you're familiar with norse mythology at all it's obvious but there's a lot of people who never got exposed to it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

They should be ashamed for not being experts in Norse mythology
:goonsay:

Perhence you shouldn't have chosen to study at the Renly's Gaping rear end in a top hat school for Dumb Goons

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I never knew that Wednesday was named for Odin, but the talking to ravens / one-eyed thing is a pretty clear giveaway to anyone with a passing knowledge of Norse mythology. Or has watched the loving Thor movies.

Then of course they mentioned several other names which could have been Googled easily and oh, plastered ODIN on the side of a rocket. Not our fault Shadow is dim.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also, the series starts with Odin's first worshippers in America... :crossarms:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
C'mon guys it's a big world out there, plenty of people might not grow up being familiar with Norse mythology when there are zillions of other things to read or be occupied with in school

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Coohoolin posted:

this show was way bad except for individual acting being good for wednesday, czernobog, nancy, and jacquel. everything else was bad and dumb and unnecessary changes from the source material that made the show a lot less interesting than it could have been.

I read half the book (right where this season ends, actually) and stopped because it was boring poo poo. This show completely improved on the source material in every way and actually made it interesting.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

this post is way bad except for individual words being good like wednesday, czernobog, nancy, and jacquel. everything else was bad and dumb and unnecessary and a lot less interesting than it could have been.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The show definitely benefits from having a team of usually good writers and a bunch of years since the book to improve things.

It honestly never occurred to me that Wednesday was Odin and I probably would have been surprised if people hadn't kept talking about it like it was obvious since episode one.

So thanks I guess.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

geeves posted:

Slenderman in season 2. Show opens with two teenage girls trying to kill a third in his name.

that just reminds me of Channel Zero, season 2 of which should be starting in October

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

nerdman42 posted:

It honestly never occurred to me that Wednesday was Odin and I probably would have been surprised if people hadn't kept talking about it like it was obvious since episode one.

Did you at least know Wednesday was a god?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Josef bugman posted:

I'd love for Marduk to show up though. Like as a proper old timer. One of the first recorded Gods ever and he's in a wheelchair and as ancient as anything.

I could see his uh... interaction with Xerxes being a sidestory thing.

Xerxes: Yo, treasonous fuckers, reconquering you is expensive, cough up some reparations.
Babs: Yeah but we're broke too, we can't pay you.
Xerxes: What about Marduk?
Babs: What ABOUT Marduk?
Xerxes: He's a mansized chunk of gold that gives you guys really bad advice like rebelling against the same king twice in less than ten years. Honestly I'll be doing you guys a favor
Babs: Wai-
*Marduk gets thrown into furnace*

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Fauxshiz posted:

Did you at least know Wednesday was a god?

Oh yeah, even I got that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If anyone is interested, Shadow turns up in at least one of Gaiman's short stories, 'The Monarch of the Glen', published in the 'Fragile Things' anthology.

I can't remember if he turns up elsewhere - certainly his employer in that story does.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Trickster God Bill Belichick

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I can't get over how enamored Easter is of Odin's sword. He whips it out and she doesn't dismiss it, instead she cradles it and caresses it during their conversation, looking closely at the details of the blade and pommel. She can't even keep her hands off it when she's the one talking.

What I mean to say is that the lady loves a good sword. Also I'm in love.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WreUmBorEmA

Must be nice to be Brian Reitzell and be able to call up Siouxsie Sioux or Debbie Harry or Shirley Manson and be like "hey can you make a song for my TV show"

When I watched that scene I was totally expecting it to be some kind of deep cut by Giorgio Moroder. Nope, just the composer paying tribute to the god of Italo disco :allears:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

CaveGrinch posted:

Not our fault Shadow is dim.

In Shadow's defense, it isn't an easy thing to discard everything you ever knew about reality. I'm sure a lot of Shadow not being able to accept Wednesday as Odin was less him not figuring it out, and more trying to accept that this old conman he is working for is literally a god. Its a lot easier for us as viewers to accept that fact because we are already aware that this show is fantasy.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vorgen posted:

I can't get over how enamored Easter is of Odin's sword. He whips it out and she doesn't dismiss it, instead she cradles it and caresses it during their conversation, looking closely at the details of the blade and pommel. She can't even keep her hands off it when she's the one talking.

What I mean to say is that the lady loves a good sword. Also I'm in love.

It's his dick

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kilson posted:

I want some Indian gods. Ganesha and Shiva would be pretty rad!
Khali is in the book.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 21, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

The Trickster God Bill Belichick

Frankly it was a missed opportunity to have Tim Tebow as one of the Jesus'

Tebow Wept (college football fam, you got me)

Alternately, cast Peyton Manning as Buddy Jesus

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Toplowtech posted:

Khali is in the book.

Also Ganesha. He tells Shadow that if he'd asked Ganesha for help at the beginning of his journey, things would have been a lot easier for him.

Ganesha also gives Shadow the clue he needs to solve the mystery in the most boring part of the book.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

I read half the book (right where this season ends, actually) and stopped because it was boring poo poo. This show completely improved on the source material in every way and actually made it interesting.

Same. The book was one of the few books that I dropped partway through without ever finishing it. Despite its intriguing setup it was just written in such a plodding way with Shadow being mostly a non-entity that I just couldn't get into it at all. By comparison the show has kept me invested and entertained from start to finish.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
On the topic of sports gods, I used to bartend at a restaurant in a pretty wealthy part of town. Occasionally, John Mackey, who'd been a huge football hero in my dad's day, would stop by. By that point, however, he was suffering really, really horribly from concussion-related dementia. When he was having a good day, he was charming as hell; flirty with me and the other girls who worked there, happy to sign autographs or pose for pictures with people, just a really nice guy who obviously loved the attention. I even saw him let a little kid try on his Superbowl ring (which, no matter how far gone his mind was, he still remembered to wear every day) once, which was :3:

On his bad days, though, whoo boy. He'd be confused, loud, and angry, with a hair trigger temper that could be set off by just about anything. Even at his age and in his condition, he still cut an imposing figure, so it could be drat scary when he went off. The restaurant I worked in eventually had to ban him, because he was just so unpredictable. I thought it was a bit harsh, since I'd always liked the guy, but at that point the bad days outnumbered the good so it was understandable.

I left that job after a while, and didn't think of him much until I saw a memorial for him on the local news a few years ago, after he'd died. They of course showed footage of and interviews with him from his glory days, and compared to the man I'd known, it was heartbreaking. To some extent, he's kind of what I picture when I think of faded gods, especially theoretical sports ones.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 21, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kilson posted:

I want some Indian gods. Ganesha and Shiva would be pretty rad!

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure Ganesha is one of the gods shown in the opening title sequence in between the "drugs" god and the techno pyramid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure Ganesha is one of the gods shown in the opening title sequence in between the "drugs" god and the techno pyramid.
No, it's not ganesha it's a fat smiling god so either one of seven Lucky Gods, Hotei or chinese god Budai(the "laughing buddha").